Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto: 1985 Bmw 318i
E30 318i auto transmission fluid

Trying to figure out what brands and what type of fluid replaces Dexron II is nearly impossible. I looked at Dexron IV, many claim this is interoperable with all preceeding Dexron fluids. I was surfing Castrol and found the Domestic Multi-vehicle provides information that more closely describes the application for my car, a 1985 318i. If you would be so kind to verify my findings I would appreciate it.

I searched the forum for existing information, could not find anything relevant to my question. Please help.
Ads by Google
Old 08-19-2008, 05:23 PM
obsessed

Mein Auto: 1989 325is 03 330i ZHP
I went looking and researching the same thing a while back and had the same problem. I just went with mobil 1 and no problems. I dont think youll have any problems just pick one and make sure the level is dead on. if the level is too much or to low it will act weird.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:12 PM

I appreciate your going of your way to reply.
I called Castrol, the Domestic Multi-Vehicle is what they came up with for a final decision. I was planning on installing the filter kit after draining the fluid from the convenient rear drain on the pan, pretty cool compared to my other cars. When I got to the fluid tube removal I ran into a big snag, what size is that monster nut? It's bigger than any open end wrench I have in my box. Anyone know what size that is? I have a 22mm, it's way bigger than that. Until I remedy this tool selection the filter will have to wait. I did install the new fluid of course, and after reading your post, I went back out and made several short drives while checking the fluid level. Bentley says 2.1 quarts, I put 3 quarts in mine just to bring it to a medium level. My vehicle has a marked improvement while shifting, up or down.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:23 PM
obsessed

Fluid is everything in these automatic transmissions. Once i had one that wouldnt move at all and then i changed the fluid and it was perfect. these are the best automatic transmissions ever, they are very responsive when taken care of.also the manuals are not correct for the fluids, but they are close. trust your own judgement and common sense. oh yeah and trust the 2 dipsticks.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to BimmMeUpScottie
Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325e 2dr
On BAVAUTO.COM they have a brand called REDLINE.....I just bought my bimmer a couple of months ago and I've never heard of this brand...does anyone know if its any good??
Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 PM

I saw the same stuff, it's synthetic Dexron II. I know my transmission wasn't engineered for synthetic fluid, so I passed on it. It's probably really good stuff. I personally feel more comfortable matching fluid types with original factory recommendations. Who are you going to listen to ... the people at Bavauto or the "Unpimp your Auto" dude?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:33 AM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmMeUpScottie View Post
On BAVAUTO.COM they have a brand called REDLINE.....I just bought my bimmer a couple of months ago and I've never heard of this brand...does anyone know if its any good??
Redline makes excellent products. I am running there stuff my trans and diff
Old 08-21-2008, 06:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to BimmMeUpScottie
Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325e 2dr
I've been using dexron II and it hasnt really made any improvements. ever since I started using it my coolant light turns on now and again.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:36 AM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmMeUpScottie View Post
I've been using dexron II and it hasnt really made any improvements. ever since I started using it my coolant light turns on now and again.
No correlation whatsoever. Either your coolant is indeed low or you need a new coolant level sensor
Old 08-21-2008, 06:04 PM
obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
no correlation whatsoever. Either your coolant is indeed low or you need a new coolant level sensor
+1