Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 05-31-2003, 02:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: The Best of Both Worlds
Thumbs down Car wont start..

I have a 01 M Roadster.. i went to my garage today and tried to take the car out for a spin.. all power, radio, etc works.. but when i depress the clutch and turn the key, i get nothing.. it doesnt even try to start.. the engine isnt turning over, nothing.. the cars silent.. has this happened to anyone before? it doesnt seem like it is the battery i still have power in the car.. but when i turn the key.. nothing.. my mercedes have never given me any problems.. my BMW has been in and out of the dealer when i first got it.. seems like BMW's arent as reliable as benz's.. anyone know what this is.. or has this happened to you? i called BMW roadside and they asked if me and my car were in a safe place.. i told him it was in my garage.. he said.. he will send out a flat bed on monday because even if they take it now it wont be looked at til monday.. this weekend sucks.. my fun weekend car wont even start..

Last edited by DINANISR3; 05-31-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-31-2003, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
Maybe its the sensor that detects if your clutch is depressed has gone bad ? So the car think you didn't depressed the clutch and won't turn.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:40 PM

thats what i was thinking.. too.. at first i thought it was my UUC bigboy CS... i removed it.. and still nothing.. i think it may be the sensor..
Old 05-31-2003, 07:09 PM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
If you can still push start it, it's the clutch lock. I'd expect that after more miles, though.

Have you tried a different key?
Old 05-31-2003, 07:48 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Re: Car wont start..

Quote:
Originally posted by DINANISR3
I have a 01 M Roadster.. i went to my garage today and tried to take the car out for a spin.. all power, radio, etc works.. but when i depress the clutch and turn the key, i get nothing.. it doesnt even try to start.. the engine isnt turning over, nothing.. the cars silent.. has this happened to anyone before? it doesnt seem like it is the battery i still have power in the car.. but when i turn the key.. nothing.. my mercedes have never given me any problems.. my BMW has been in and out of the dealer when i first got it.. seems like BMW's arent as reliable as benz's.. anyone know what this is.. or has this happened to you? i called BMW roadside and they asked if me and my car were in a safe place.. i told him it was in my garage.. he said.. he will send out a flat bed on monday because even if they take it now it wont be looked at til monday.. this weekend sucks.. my fun weekend car wont even start..
Do you drive the car regularly, or is an occasional use vehicle? I'd be interested in hearing what it ends up being.

6MT, M-Sport, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Tech Pkg, HK Sound, M Performance Exhaust, M Performance Power Kit

Former: 2011 335xi Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 05-31-2003, 08:45 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
First guess clutch lock (the clutch lock on my wife's Z3 failed at 250 miles). (90% chance)

2nd guess- battery. You can still have radio power with not enough power to crank the car.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: '88 M3, '01 Z3, '06 330i
Sounds like the EWS. The system that recognizes the key each time you insert it into the ignition. Mine went bad on my former 99 Z3 2.3.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:03 PM
///M forum moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Sounds like the EWS. The system that recognizes the key each time you insert it into the ignition. Mine went bad on my former 99 Z3 2.3.
Good guess. The way to test is try another key.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:07 PM
Butting back in

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce
Good guess. The way to test is try another key.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Roadstergal
Have you tried a different key?
Old 06-01-2003, 01:05 AM

how did you guys know.. i tried the other key and it fired up... does that mean the key i was using is bad now? thanks for everyones help..
Old 06-01-2003, 06:20 AM
///M forum moderator

I don't know if the key needs to be replaced or just reprogramed by the dealer.

Sorry RG...I didn't read your whole post. Oops. :-)
Old 06-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Butting back in

LOL 'sokay. I just found out that my car not starting is more complicated; might be a top end rebuild, might be a new engine.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:06 PM

will BMW give me a new key covered by warranty? if i had to purchase one.. i know they are not cheap..
Old 06-01-2003, 07:00 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally posted by DINANISR3
will BMW give me a new key covered by warranty? if i had to purchase one.. i know they are not cheap..
If it happened as you described (you just tried it in the car and ti didn't work), then yes, BMW will cover it.

If there is something you aren't telling us, then there might be an issue (just be sure not to tell the dealer, either!). I have some good memories when it comes to people trying to get new keys under warranty-- the guy that ran over the key with the car (it was VERY hard to cover up what he had done-- he gave us the key all wrapped up with electrical tape, and when we took the tape off, the key was in 5 or 6 pieces), or the guy that admitted that he dropped the car in his swimming pool.

Basically, as long as you didn't do anything crazy to it (and if you did, be sure not to tell them), then you'll be fine.

6MT, M-Sport, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Tech Pkg, HK Sound, M Performance Exhaust, M Performance Power Kit

Former: 2011 335xi Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 06-01-2003, 07:19 PM
///M forum moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SARAFIL
or the guy that admitted that he dropped the car in his swimming pool.
The car or the key? I'd believe either. :-)
Old 06-01-2003, 07:35 PM
My wife drives the 325i

Mein Auto: Mazda 6
Quote:
Originally posted by The Roadstergal
LOL 'sokay. I just found out that my car not starting is more complicated; might be a top end rebuild, might be a new engine.
I am sorry to hear. I am vicariously enjoying reading about your search and purchase of the car. I hope that the repairs are not expensive.

A coworker once approached a neighbor about a Volvo 240 that was parked for an extended period of time in the driveway. My coworker asked if he could buy the car. The owner responded yes and mentioned that the car wouldn't start. He purchased the car for several hundred dollars, replaced the battery, squirted some oil in the cylinders, started the engine and drove away an excellent car worth thousands of dollars.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:11 PM

Quote:
If it happened as you described (you just tried it in the car and ti didn't work), then yes, BMW will cover it.

If there is something you aren't telling us, then there might be an issue (just be sure not to tell the dealer, either!). I have some good memories when it comes to people trying to get new keys under warranty-- the guy that ran over the key with the car (it was VERY hard to cover up what he had done-- he gave us the key all wrapped up with electrical tape, and when we took the tape off, the key was in 5 or 6 pieces), or the guy that admitted that he dropped the car in his swimming pool.

Basically, as long as you didn't do anything crazy to it (and if you did, be sure not to tell them), then you'll be fine.
thanks guys... but i did everything like i said.. i only drive the car on weekends.. prob like 50-100 miles a week if even that.. i never take the key out of the car when its in the garage.. never been dropped, abused, in water.. etc.. looks like i can cancel the tow truck and my appointment... now i just have to tell my SA to give me a new key..
Old 06-02-2003, 11:18 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Quote:
If there is something you aren't telling us, then there might be an issue (just be sure not to tell the dealer, either!). [...] Basically, as long as you didn't do anything crazy to it (and if you did, be sure not to tell them), then you'll be fine.
ON
I have no doubt that some will criticize me (openly or to themselves) for being too much of a boy scout, but I just can't agree with this advice.

You are suggesting this person behave fruadulently and dishonestly. Encouringing them to steal. While a new E46 remote transmitter key certainly isn't cheap, maybe $100, the piece of counter-advice I have to anyone contemplating defrauding BMW in this way: Is the price to compromise your integrity that cheap?

I know well that I'm far more extreme about this than most people. I don't have a price. When I screw up, I pay for it, period. If I can't, well, that's my tough luck.

The only "price" I have for compromising my integrity is where the safety someone is directly and immediately involved... I'd lie in a heartbeat under those circumstances. I also am more relaxed about this where countering the dishonesty of someone else is concerned (for example, if someone else's fraud were about to cost you big bucks, I wouldn't judge you badly to engage in some less-than-honest behavior to thwart it, but of course circumstances are important).

OFF
Old 06-02-2003, 11:51 AM
Butting back in

Quote:
Originally posted by Parump
I am sorry to hear. I am vicariously enjoying reading about your search and purchase of the car. I hope that the repairs are not expensive.

Thanks, I knew going in that I might have to do a new engine... it doesn't look bad, but it sure sounds bad when you get it running. I'm going to try to get someone to help me haul it under the carport, then take off the top end, and see what it looks like underneath. Apparantly it's cheaper to do a rebuild if you take it out yourself, and that will certainly be a learning experience!

And eta engines are much cheaper than i engines.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: e36
I had a very similar problem...it turned out to be a blown fuse in the engine compartment box. Make sure to check all interior fuses and engine bay fuses...