Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-23-2008, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
Question Check engine light on 04 BMW 545i

Hello to u all.

I just did pick up the car yesterday did about 80k (highway and city) i love the car and all as i metione in my previoes post but at the end of my driving i did get the yellow check engine light on.

Is it a big problem with this cars?

Thx for any help
gala79
Ads by Google
Old 08-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
You should definately get it checked out. The engine light alone isn't goign to tell you much. If you want to know what the specific problem is you need to read the engine fault code (there are devices that allow you to do this, but its just better to take it in anyways). If the car drives fine and sounds fine, it probably isn't anything major.

Where did you buy the car from? Did the seller offer any type of limited warranty on their part? I would get in touch with them regardless of what the problem is - I'd be pretty angry if I just bought a car and the check engine light came on within the first couple days (or months for that matter) of ownership.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter
Old 08-23-2008, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gala79 View Post
Hello to u all.

I just did pick up the car yesterday did about 80k (highway and city) i love the car and all as i metione in my previoes post but at the end of my driving i did get the yellow check engine light on.

Is it a big problem with this cars?

Thx for any help
gala79
Mine has never come on.

Try checking the service info section in iDrive--perhaps it's a service item that's coming due.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
got it
all it was is the gas cap put on incorrectly.

I re put on the gas cap and light disappeared.

Thx to u all
gala79
Old 07-20-2013, 03:27 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 545i
Hey, when you put it in your gas cap in properly, after how long did the check engine ligh go away? I just got a 545i a few days ago and the check engine light is on, anyone have any reccemdations on what I should do?
Old 07-20-2013, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh34 View Post
Hey, when you put it in your gas cap in properly, after how long did the check engine ligh go away? I just got a 545i a few days ago and the check engine light is on, anyone have any reccemdations on what I should do?
After you install the cap properly if you turn the car off and let it sit a bit, when you turn it back on the light should be off.

Since you are a brand-new fellow 545i owner, a few tips:

You may want to invest in a code reader. One like link below is the lowest of the low, but they do work in most cases in returning a generic code that can at least give you a starting point in diagnosing a problem. Obviously if you want to spend more money there are a number of good code readers (and software that runs on laptops) that can read more BMW specific errors as well as allow you to change settings on the car.
http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...4335982&sr=1-2

As is the case with most new owners of used 545i, you will have some sorting out to do in the coming months. Pay particular attention to any major oil leaks as well as the coolant system. If you did not receive the service history records with the car and believe the water pump, thermostat, hoses, coolant reservoir, belts and vent tube are all original, replacing these as proactive maintenance is the very best money you can spend. With 545s it is not if the original coolant system will fail but when. You risk major engine damage with an overheat and certainly will pay for towing and emergency repairs. If you ever see an engine overheating light pull over immediately and turn the engine off. Do not attempt to limp the car to a location. When the all aluminum engine overheats all of the aluminum components over expand, and can destroy the integrity of gaskets between the parts of the engine. Gasket repairs are extremely expensive on this car. The gasket integrity on this car is weak to begin with and certainly does not need any further help toward failing like over heating.

Another area that can confuse many new owners is battery or alternator issues. The 545i has so many computers and sensor systems that demand loads of power at a precise voltage range that if the battery or alternator begin to weaken and the voltage sags the main computer will begin to shutdown power to certain systems on the car to prevent over-current situations. These systems will then post warning lights on the dash, causing you to chase your tail trying to diagnose the transmission for instance or the steering system, when in reality the problem is being caused by a system voltage deficiency.

The type of voltmeter shown in the link below is very easy to use and can be used in the car during starting and driving. When you first get it play with it a couple of days to learn the voltage for your car just before starting (turn key to second position so dash lights come on but don't crank the engine), just after starting and during your drive. You may want to jot down the voltages you experienced on a small scrap of paper and rubber band the paper to the device and store it in your glove box. Then some day when (not if) you begin to see warning lights the first thing you do is pop it in the cigarette lighter, read your voltage at each step and compare it to your paper.
http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3721-Bat...ette+voltmeter

If you don't like what you see on the voltage, any national auto parts chain will hook up a hand held computer and diagnose your battery, alternator and starter for free.

I recommend you use only BMW approved synthetic oil and change it often (5000-6000 miles).