Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Wolf

Send a message via AIM to Wolf33
Mein Auto: Alpine White 335xi Coupe
Parking in the city streets

Anyone park their car in a busy city area were morons constantly hit others cars without a care in the world??

Im having a heart attack right now because it is the longest i have left my car parked where i cant see it in a nyc street..... i hope its all in one piece when i go back....anyone use a bumper bully or anything like that?? is it worth it to invest in one?
Ads by Google
Old 08-24-2008, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: VW GTI
i live in brooklyn, and parking near me runs about $350/mo. I prefer saving that cash and put it towards the dings and scratches. over my 27 month lease I saved $9450 (+tips).. I also pay some $15 for the insurance that covers some $3500 in damages upon lease return.

not the prefetct situation, but i live with it. Chalk it up to living in a cool city...

i thought about the bumper protector...seems like a pain, and doesn't cover all the danger spots anyway..frankly, I rather just deal with the potential scratches and fixing them up...

That worry about the car does get easier over time. Also have been very lucky with the bmw. My 2 previous VW's parked in same area got much more banged up than this car (prob just cursed myself)
Old 08-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
The lease insurance sounds like a great idea. OTOH, on the UES, street parking every night is really not an option.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Wolf

Yea i have a garage i park in....but i drive into work on sundays because parking is easy.....but i used to have a truck...so i really didnt care....now its like...hmmm lets inspect the car to make sure no dumb a$$ decided to fall on it.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf33 View Post
Yea i have a garage i park in....but i drive into work on sundays because parking is easy.....but i used to have a truck...so i really didnt care....now its like...hmmm lets inspect the car to make sure no dumb a$$ decided to fall on it.
Some parking lot attendants are worse than leaving your car to chance. On that note, I took a rental and parked it in public today. Came back to find it keyed very nastily. Good thing I always take the LDW.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Wolf

thats horrible....i just once want to catch someone doing it.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 X5 325I
Bought Ding and Tire Insuranse for $375 on 3 year X5 lease.

2011 X5 Premium
2010 328i Hard top convertible
2007 Z4
2007 X5
2003 325
2003 X5
Old 08-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Wolf

damn i didnt know about that....i would assume you have to add that when you are purchasing or leasing the car. i heard that the tire insurance will also cover your rims.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I live in Manhattan and park my car in the garage in my building. I have a dedicated spot between two columns and no one parks near me. I use a bumber badger and a car cover. I never park on the street. So far (13 months, 12,000 miles) no dings or scratches.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 08-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Can't control my fingers

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Anyone park their car in a busy city area were morons constantly hit others cars without a care in the world??

Im having a heart attack right now because it is the longest i have left my car parked where i cant see it in a nyc street..... i hope its all in one piece when i go back....anyone use a bumper bully or anything like that?? is it worth it to invest in one?
I have to park one of my cars in the street and I always try and make sure I am in a spot where it is less likely to get damaged.

-never near the crazy lady across the street who doesn't checks behind her when baking out of her driveway and has creamed numerous cars.
-never leave a space so the guy in the volvo who judges the distance from other cars while parking, by bouncing off your bumper.
-never under the old maple trees that have crushed several car in the past few years with broken branches during storms.
-never near the skateboarding kids who manage to fall bouncing their heads off the asphalt and their boards off your car.
-never too close to the curb as some nanny will alays manage to sideswipe yor car with her stroller.
-never under the power lines where the damn crows are shi**ing up a storm.

It sucks having to park a car on the street doesn't it.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: '10 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkleyBMW View Post

It sucks having to park a car on the street doesn't it.

At least when living in Jersey, you can identify a car with NY plates from the City in an instant - they usually drive slower than the norm (you typically can't drive that fast in Manhattan) and the bumpers give away someone who parks on the street in an instant. Of course, the norm seems to be back up until you hit the car behind you then pull forward until you tap the car in front just to make sure you have it lined up correctly. This is unsettling to a non-New Yorker when you watch that particular sequence performed by a ConEd truck. Yes, it sounds like a cliche. Yes (unfortunately) it's factual. Personally, I think you'd be insane to even own a car in the City. As above, it's a gazillon $ per month to park, you're probably going to get dinged anyway, insurance is 3X the national average and (at least in Jersey) there's no place to wash your car anyway unless you own a house so you'll end up trashing the paint with automated car washes and dirty towels, etc. And, since it's illegal to pump your own gas, the gas jockeys can be counted on to add a few dings/scratches from slamming the gas cap against the paint. Don't miss that at all.................
Old 08-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911 View Post
At least when living in Jersey, you can identify a car with NY plates from the City in an instant - they usually drive slower than the norm (you typically can't drive that fast in Manhattan) and the bumpers give away someone who parks on the street in an instant. Of course, the norm seems to be back up until you hit the car behind you then pull forward until you tap the car in front just to make sure you have it lined up correctly. This is unsettling to a non-New Yorker when you watch that particular sequence performed by a ConEd truck. Yes, it sounds like a cliche. Yes (unfortunately) it's factual. Personally, I think you'd be insane to even own a car in the City. As above, it's a gazillon $ per month to park, you're probably going to get dinged anyway, insurance is 3X the national average and (at least in Jersey) there's no place to wash your car anyway unless you own a house so you'll end up trashing the paint with automated car washes and dirty towels, etc. And, since it's illegal to pump your own gas, the gas jockeys can be counted on to add a few dings/scratches from slamming the gas cap against the paint. Don't miss that at all.................

all true, but the insurance.
5K a year for parking and i use a *cheap* garage. I think captainaudio pays more than me.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911 View Post
Except for the pumping gas part I don't disagree.
I try to be an exception but it is expensive and requires a lot of work to be an exception.

It is illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey. It is not illegal in New York.

I live in Manhattan, and hand wash my car in the garage under the building ( with the assistance of the garage attendant). My car has no dings, no scratches,no swirl marks and is NEVER dirty. It is gets washed every time it comes into the garage. It is a weekend car and does not get used in the city (except to leave home and come back)

Insurance for a garaged car in Manhattan is less expensive than New Jersey.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 08-24-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post

all true, but the insurance.
5K a year for parking and i use a *cheap* garage. I think captainaudio pays more than me.
Just got the Sept. bill, $483.29. = $5799.48/yr.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 08-24-2008, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: M35
I hate parking in the street, I only have one parking spot in my building and wifey needs it cuz we had a baby, unless she comes early and can find a spot right infront of m building. she got a few scratches on her benz from morons hitting thier bumper/lic plates screws while parking and the Mercedes star got jacked from the hood and the trunk. I hate it
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 08-25-2008, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: '10 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Except for the pumping gas part I don't disagree.
I try to be an exception but it is expensive and requires a lot of work to be an exception.

It is illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey. It is not illegal in New York.

Insurance for a garaged car in Manhattan is less expensive than New Jersey.
True. I hated not being able to pump my own gas when I lived in Hillsdale. Funny thing is yes, it's illegal to pump your own gas however state employees (GF was an environmental engineer for DEP for years) have to when returning a state vehicle back to the car pool. Go figure - guess Trenton is too cheap to pay for a gas pump attendant.

When I was in Richmond VA, insurance on my '04 Accord was $50/month. Hillsdale NJ (no garage) went to $161/month just based on zip code.

Amazingly, gas is cheaper in Jersey. This weekend went back for a friend's wedding. All fuel was 93 octane top tier (Shell in Maryland & Sunoco on the Turnpike since that's your only option). Maryland, $3.97/gallon. NJTP $3.88/gallon, Pearl River, NY (Rockland County right over the line), $4.09. Go figure..............
Old 08-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Wolf

well...at least i got back to the car and everything was ok...got my bumper bully so hopefully will help with future sundays...haha...i try to find a spot in front or behind a fire hidrant that way at least one side is saf**ER** because you never know. i rent a driveway for about 120 a month around my house so at least i know its safe at night.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Just got the Sept. bill, $483.29. = $5799.48/yr.
410/month inc tax. and thats with the manhattan resident tax waiver they were trying to get rid of.

oh well, what can you do?
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 08-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm an Economic Stimulant

Send a message via MSN to cshsia
Mein Auto: E93 328i
i remember waking up, walking to my car, and finding orange/yellow spots on my door back when I was driving my mini cooper. Living in manhattan you have to deal with taxi passengers that swing the door wide open. Never owning a car and knowing what that feels like makes these people so mindless.

Have my own parking spot in Queens now, know my "parking lot neighbors" personally and we're all careful with each other's cars. Park on the street when i go in the city, 1 visible ding and two small blemishes so far (10 months into ownership)

2008 E93 328i Convertible - MT, Jet Black, Saddle, Aluminium, Nav, CA

The Roundel, Drink of Statusticians
Old 08-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
My car never goes to Downtown Atl unless I'm going to work, and it gets parked safely behind BSW where bums/robber/idiots/Ford owners can't get to it.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Can't control my fingers

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipWOT View Post
My car never goes to Downtown Atl unless I'm going to work, and it gets parked safely behind BSW where bums/robber/idiots/Ford owners can't get to it.
Looks like some kids with spray paint got pretty close to your car in that picture.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: Bimmers Galore
Quote:

My wife always gets on my case when I park so far from our destination because I don't want these idiots ruining my car.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Wolf

yea no one ever understands why i want a spot right in front where i can see the car.... "big deal....its just car".....pffttt more like my child...lol
Old 08-25-2008, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
I seriously don't understand how you guys can stand living in the city...and worse yet pay a premium to do so. (Go ahead...flame me)
Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Wolf

hahah!! i agree with you...but if i didnt live in the city i probably wouldnt be able to afford this car.....and besides....compare the girls in nyc to some small town.... woo NYC!!