Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Dinan - 384hp what does it cost

What's the final price tag on the Dinan package that gets you 384hp? I think you need the ECU, exhaust and the installation (I already have the air cooler). So, what's the price for the exhaust and how many hours do they claim to take for the install? Trying to gauge the price/boost ratio here..
Ads by Google
Old 08-24-2008, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: .
How about trying their website? That would be a good place to start. www.dinancars.com
Old 08-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiheik View Post
Dinan - 384hp what does it cost
Way too much.

I was never here.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
If you have to ask then you can't afford it or to much, same answer!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
About a billion dollars more than a JuiceBox setup...

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Nerd

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Coupe
For the price you're willing to pay for the Dinan tuning, why don't you get an M3?
Internal:M3 Tri-stitched Steering wheel/OEM Aluminum Pedal and Footrest
External: Black Matte Grills/MSport Front Bumper with sidemarker delete/OEM Aero Rear Bumper/OEM Aero Spoiler/LuxH8 LED Angel Eyes V3
Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 AM

Well, all good and bad answers. Their website says 1990 for the ECU, but no quote for the Exhaust or the exact installation cost. So, this is what I am looking for...

And why not the M3? Before you drop comments like that, have you looked at the grunt difference with 335i Dinan and the M3??? Stock 335i has more torque already than the M3 and that's what you feel in your butt.

If the package is about 4-5k, it is worth it. On the US highways, you don't need the superior cornering and brakes that M3 offers, but the grunt is always good.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 95 M3
Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 325i
There are other software solutions besides Dinan that produce similar power increases. You do not NEED to do an exhaust either. I think Proceed is one, and Active Autowerke makes another.

2009 BMW 328i Coupe, Space Gray, Black Leather, Gray Poplar Wood Trim, Sport Package, Premium Package, 6 Speed Steptronic, Xenons, Ipod USB, Sirius

2005 BMW 325i, Electric Red, Sand Leather, M Lip Spoiler, M-Tech Aero Kit, Aux Audio In, Myrtle Wood Trim, Premium Package, 5 Speed Steptronic, Xenon Lights, Harmon Kardon Sound System, PDC, OEM Alarm
Old 08-25-2008, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i AT; '14 Stingray
Dinan flash Stage II = $2K, plus sales tax, minus $100 discount (if that's still available). Is all you need assuming you have OEM oil cooler.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Nerd

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Coupe
Quote:
Well, all good and bad answers. Their website says 1990 for the ECU, but no quote for the Exhaust or the exact installation cost. So, this is what I am looking for...

And why not the M3? Before you drop comments like that, have you looked at the grunt difference with 335i Dinan and the M3??? Stock 335i has more torque already than the M3 and that's what you feel in your butt.

If the package is about 4-5k, it is worth it. On the US highways, you don't need the superior cornering and brakes that M3 offers, but the grunt is always good.
Yes, I know of the differences in the torque and the fact that the M3 is heavier as well but the M3 is a really nice car. Test drove it, love the power and the growl. Love the changeable suspension system.

I really love my 335 but am not a big fan of tuning. The torgue and HP is already great. I believe Vishnu is also doing some tuning. Check out their websites and call them. You likely get a more realistic price.

Hope you get back to us on how your butt feels with that extra grunt once you tune it.
Internal:M3 Tri-stitched Steering wheel/OEM Aluminum Pedal and Footrest
External: Black Matte Grills/MSport Front Bumper with sidemarker delete/OEM Aero Rear Bumper/OEM Aero Spoiler/LuxH8 LED Angel Eyes V3
Old 08-25-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paximperium View Post
Yes, I know of the differences in the torque and the fact that the M3 is heavier as well but the M3 is a really nice car. Test drove it, love the power and the growl. Love the changeable suspension system.

I really love my 335 but am not a big fan of tuning. The torgue and HP is already great. I believe Vishnu is also doing some tuning. Check out their websites and call them. You likely get a more realistic price.

Hope you get back to us on how your butt feels with that extra grunt once you tune it.
M3 is a nice car, no doubt, everything is better, I agree. But by investing 2500 dollars, you will get more rear wheel horsepower and 50% more grunt than the M3 has, all that in 45k package. Just phoned Dinan and the free flow exhaust is not necessary, albeit probably sounds much better, so will definitely be going with the Stage3 once the car is back in the US. May I ask why not a fan of tuning? Don't like the extra power ? While enough, I think the torque curve is about as boring as it comes actually - 1400-5500 flat line and then cuts off completely. With little remap, you will have that constant power increase effect - sweet.

Sounds to me that it us unbeatable deal, warranty is not voided - which surprises me. How is the stock clutch gonna hold that torque? I hope they don't offer this for automatics only and I can get that for stick..
Old 08-25-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paximperium View Post
For the price you're willing to pay for the Dinan tuning, why don't you get an M3?
And might be talking out of my a.. here, but the V8 is thirsty. This is my daily commuter (40miles) so needed to think a little bit about the mpg too. Not sure what the increased boost is going to do for the averages, probably not that much, correct me if I am totally off base.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Quote:
And might be talking out of my a.. here, but the V8 is thirsty. This is my daily commuter (40miles) so needed to think a little bit about the mpg too. Not sure what the increased boost is going to do for the averages, probably not that much, correct me if I am totally off base.
Actually a chipped 335i doesn't really get much less mpg than a stock one, if you drive them identically. (Which takes unbelievable self-control)
Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: anything with wheels
The M3 is faster than a Dinan 335. I haven't seen one Dinan customer run a 12.5 in the 1/4. The M3 traps higher as well and it's in those higher speeds that the M3 really shines. That said, the torque in a tuned 335i is fantastic and useable all the time. There's really no comparing the two cars. I've seen Vishnu and JB tuned 335s in the 12.5 range with similar traps. The warranty is nice though with the Dinan.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:

It says $1790 for the exhaust and 1.4 hours to install. You must have missed it.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M View Post
It says $1790 for the exhaust and 1.4 hours to install. You must have missed it.
Yeah, at ease. Not sure how I missed it the first time, but I can see it now, I talked to Dinan and it seems like the free flow exhaust is more for sound that substantial power increase, will probably go with the Stage2. thx
Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster3.0 View Post
The M3 is faster than a Dinan 335. I haven't seen one Dinan customer run a 12.5 in the 1/4. The M3 traps higher as well and it's in those higher speeds that the M3 really shines. That said, the torque in a tuned 335i is fantastic and useable all the time. There's really no comparing the two cars. I've seen Vishnu and JB tuned 335s in the 12.5 range with similar traps. The warranty is nice though with the Dinan.
M3 would probably shine more on track than drag strip and only there can you really appreciate it. Drag strip is maybe equally well served in a tuned 335i, but if you that 335i are not even getting close, I take your word, I am not planning on hitting the drag strip anyway. For sure beat the drag, surely you need hp and M3 has more of that, but like you said, as an all around commuter with that torque, my need is better served by 335 and on the track Ducatis are more fun for me anyway than any car..