Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2003, 11:59 AM
bender73 bender73 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: '04 325ci
Concerned!!! Car did not start...

Ok, my new '04 coupe has around 1,700 miles on it.

First, I drove to the movies the other night and after getting out of the car, there was a smell...burnt transmission or brakes?

Secondly, I went to start my car today and it vibrated a little and did not start the first time. The second time I tried, it started and ran fine. This may sound dumb but it has been raining really hard for days and I wonder if that has anything to do with the engine not starting. I doubt it though because I can't think of anything that would remotely be associated with rain and starting a car. (Yes, I was reaching here with the rain theory).

I am concerned. Any ideas or advice?

Thanks!!!
__________________
My Music - http://www.mp3.com/ChrisBilodeau
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-01-2003, 12:02 PM
SARAFIL's Avatar
SARAFIL SARAFIL is offline
I know a thing or two...
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,406
Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Re: Concerned!!! Car did not start...

Quote:
Originally posted by bender73
First, I drove to the movies the other night and after getting out of the car, there was a smell...burnt transmission or brakes?
Burning cosmoline (the stuff they spray on the car to protect it in transport to the US)
__________________
2011 BMW 335xi Sedan -- Black Sapphire / Black Leather
Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navigation

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
  #3  
Old 06-01-2003, 12:10 PM
bender73 bender73 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: '04 325ci
Re: Re: Concerned!!! Car did not start...

Quote:
Originally posted by SARAFIL
Burning cosmoline (the stuff they spray on the car to protect it in transport to the US)
Thanks, but I have never noticed that smell before. Then again, its just out of the break-in period and I am starting to take it up to and past 5,000 RPM.
__________________
My Music - http://www.mp3.com/ChrisBilodeau
  #4  
Old 06-01-2003, 01:28 PM
bender73 bender73 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: '04 325ci


Anyone else?
__________________
My Music - http://www.mp3.com/ChrisBilodeau
  #5  
Old 06-01-2003, 01:39 PM
krapper krapper is offline
Just passed you...
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: '02 BMW 325Ci
Re: Concerned!!! Car did not start...

Quote:
Originally posted by bender73
Ok, my new '04 coupe has around 1,700 miles on it.

First, I drove to the movies the other night and after getting out of the car, there was a smell...burnt transmission or brakes?

Secondly, I went to start my car today and it vibrated a little and did not start the first time. The second time I tried, it started and ran fine. This may sound dumb but it has been raining really hard for days and I wonder if that has anything to do with the engine not starting. I doubt it though because I can't think of anything that would remotely be associated with rain and starting a car. (Yes, I was reaching here with the rain theory).

I am concerned. Any ideas or advice?

Thanks!!!
My car did the vibrate and stall thing once before. Had about 2,000 miles on it when it happened. Same thing, started it again and it was fine. Hasn't done it since and I just hit 9,000 miles the other day.
__________________
  #6  
Old 06-01-2003, 01:51 PM
bender73 bender73 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: '04 325ci
Re: Re: Concerned!!! Car did not start...

Quote:
Originally posted by krapper
My car did the vibrate and stall thing once before. Had about 2,000 miles on it when it happened. Same thing, started it again and it was fine. Hasn't done it since and I just hit 9,000 miles the other day.
Thanks so much. I wonder what caused it.
__________________
My Music - http://www.mp3.com/ChrisBilodeau
 

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms