Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 06-01-2003, 01:27 PM
Arrive in USA 6/14/03

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci/2006 Jeep GC
Key Memory Worksheet and Car Prep

Anyone have a copy of the key memory worksheet that they can post? or email me with???

albtsang@wideopenwest.com

I'll probably just email it to my dealer, so that he can prep my car as soon as it gets there.

Also, what exactly goes into prepping a car for delivery? Setting of the key memories, cleaning, ??? I'm considering just telling him to only set the key memories, that way I can wash/wax it when I get home and not risk scratching.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 325xi steel blue
I also read somewhere that you could have the car programed to reset your locks, if you happen to unlock the doors with the keyfob, but then dont open any of them within a certain amount of time. Ie: you needed to run back into the house for something.

Don't know if this is true, but if it is wish I knew before I had my car programed.

I like this feature.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i sport
Can they do all that with Courtesy Delivery as well?
Old 06-10-2003, 09:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to pNut
Mein Auto: 2003 330i
I wish I had known about all these 'hidden features' when we picked up our BMW late last month. Our salesman never mentioned all the little things that could be programmed at the dealership.

I especially would've like to have the Daytime Running Lights and the Automatic Locking features enabled when we took delivery.

Needless to say, I'll be printing out a copy of that worksheet and the web page and will take it to the dealer on Friday when I go to pick up my new tags.

Has it been everyone else's experience that the salesman made mention of these programmable features prior to or during the sale? I guess I could have been a more educated consumer, but for things like this where they can program them at the dealership, I would have thought that my salesman would have at least mentioned it to me and would have given me the worksheet or other documentation.

Our salesman didn't even try to sell us the OEM Alarm, which I would have gladly added on during the sale. I incorrectly assumed that the car came standard with the alarm since it had the 'clown nose' on the rearview mirror. I should have confirmed it, so that ones my fault, but the salesman could have at least mentioned the programmable features if that is a common thing for buyers to personalize at purchase time. Now, I'm gonna have to schedule a service appt. to get the alarm added and the computer programmed. Pfft.

Old 06-11-2003, 07:08 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally posted by pNut
Now, I'm gonna have to schedule a service appt. to get the alarm added and the computer programmed. Pfft.

The alarm is a very easy DIY project with basic hand tools. You can buy the alarm from numerous places for around $250 vs. the $400-$600 your dealer will charge.

Then you can have them activate the alarm when you take the car back to get the other features turned on (which shouldn't cost you anything since they neglegted to take care of this during delivery.)
Old 06-11-2003, 08:02 AM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I especially would've like to have the Daytime Running Lights and the Automatic Locking features enabled when we took delivery.
My '02 wagon arrived at the dealer (in Dec '01) with the DRLs enabled. Maybe this has changed since then?

Quote:
Has it been everyone else's experience that the salesman made mention of these programmable features prior to or during the sale?
I asked about car and key programming a number of times throughout the process, so I don't know if my salesman would have mentioned it. Near the end of the delivery process, the salesman left to go get the progamming thing, came back, plugged it in and we went through each page of options, setting each one the way I wanted.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-11-2003, 08:09 AM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
Originally posted by rumatt
I found the one below a while ago but I don't know how old it is.

I have to say I'm a bit confused though because if you go to this web site http://www.bmwnation.com/tech/tech_3carkeycfg_01.html there are a lot more options listed than appear on the form below. How do you request changes for the other options?
I printed the bmwnation form, circled what I wanted and gave it to the tech to program...but I don't recall changing anything that isn't on the shorter list.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:47 PM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
Both times when we purchased our BMWs, we did all the negotiating with our client advisor on price, then met with a new person called the "Accessories Manager" who went through the catalog of add-ons (floor mats, alarms, etc.) and then she went over that key programming sheet with us. After that we met with the finance manager who did all the paperwork (preliminary paperwork for the 330, since we were ordering it - the final stuff was done when we picked up the car 8 weeks later. We bought the X5 off the lot, so they did that all at once).

When we set up the 330i, we initially didn't want DRLs, but then we changed our mind. When we picked up the plates, we had the client advisor change that for us (we called ahead to let him know we were coming in to do that).

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 06-11-2003, 05:38 PM
Arrive in USA 6/14/03

I sent off an email to my CA today with the Customer Selection Form with a few things appended on it:
1) Interior lighting (Interior lights turn on when unlocking) - Active
2) Interior lighting (Soft on/off) Active
3) "One Touch" Rear Windows Close (auto-up) - Active
4) Automatic locking after 5 MPH - active both keys
5) Automatic blower on - not active both keys

So those were my additions - hopefully it won't cause any problems with the CA. Soft on/off gives it some class as well as turning the interior lights on when unlocking. I would have thouht that the default would be to lock the doors automatically, but I guess not. I'd rather not have to do it myself.

We'll see what the CA says once he sees my email (he wasn't too thrilled about the BMWNation sheet being sent to him with essentially circles on each option. He asked me to send him a list of things in "plain english".

Quote:
I'm still wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question? Did anyone change any optioins not listed on the worksheet?
Old 06-11-2003, 07:29 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally posted by albtsang
We'll see what the CA says once he sees my email (he wasn't too thrilled about the BMWNation sheet being sent to him with essentially circles on each option. He asked me to send him a list of things in "plain english".
Sounds like your CA is a real winner. Would he like you to do the programming yourself as well?

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 06-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Adolescent On-Call

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
salesman never mentioned all the little things that could be programmed at the dealership.
Neither did mine

If you're offered the chance to make choices, TAKE IT!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Arrive in USA 6/14/03

The BMWNation sheet is understandably complicated. Actually, I'd rather do the programming. That way if anything were messed up, then I'm the only one to blame. Unfortunatley, I don't think the dealership will let me play with their computers.

I always figure that I can do a better job than almost anyone else. Reason being is that I am willing to take the time to do the job right. Unfortunately this isn't the case for those that you are paying (think of mechanics, handymen, ...).

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectre
Sounds like your CA is a real winner. Would he like you to do the programming yourself as well?
Old 06-11-2003, 08:00 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally posted by Spectre
Well, in his defense, that sheet from BMWNation is not BMWNA approved. As far as BMWNA is concerned, the only options that you should be able to modify are the ones on the white sheet posted. The dealer is instructed that those are the available options (all four of them). I wouldn't be shocked, then, to see a salesman look confused when you plop down that booklet of options that you printed off the web. Most salespeople that I know are just that-- business people that sell cars, they don't fix them. Most of them don't hold degrees in engineering. I wouldn't expect them to be able to decipher all of that jargon. It doesn't mean that he/she is a bad salesperson!

A PDI includes the car and key programming. Since a full PDI only pays about 1.25 hours of labor, it's safe to say that BMW does not allocate much time for them to go through a list of 50+ options and make all the desired changes. The only items they are required to change at your request are the ones on the list.

Many people here don't realize that they are not the normal BMW client, and that BMW does not expect you to bring in such a long sheet. You can't blame the salesperson for not knowing what to do in that case.

Another point: I wouldn't work for free, would you? Who is going to pay the tech to go through and do all those extra changes? BMW only sets aside a few minutes for them to make the changes listed on the sheet as part of a PDI. It would take them longer than that just to read through that list of choices.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 06-11-2003, 09:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to pNut
Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Quote:
I sent off an email to my CA today with the Customer Selection Form with a few things appended on it:
1) Interior lighting (Interior lights turn on when unlocking) - Active
2) Interior lighting (Soft on/off) Active
4) Automatic locking after 5 MPH - active both keys
5) Automatic blower on - not active both keys
albtsang, I see you're getting a 330ci soon. Is that the care you're wanting to get programmed. If so, I can tell you that a couple of the items on your list above seem to be already set on our new 330i sedan we recently took delivery of. I'm not so sure the default settings as indicated in the BMWNation sheet are 100% accurate for the new cars coming out. But I could be wrong.

For instance:
Our interior lights turn on when unlocking. The center console gear shift indicator also lights up (Thanks to members here for addressing my question about that).
Also, the interior lighting seems to be soft on/off enabled for ours as well. The lights slowly dim when the are going out and gradually get more intense as they are turning on. At least that's what it seems like is happening.
All of the windows, and the sunroof, operate in one touch mode in both directions.
I can definately say that the automatic locking after 5mph is not enabled by default. Thats one of the items I want to have activated on ours.
And I'm not sure about the Auto Blower On feature. We keep ours on Auto all the time. I'll have to check that one next time I'm in the car.

-pNut
Old 06-11-2003, 10:51 PM
iPod and XM enabled

Mein Auto: 330Ci
Quote:
Ah ha! This was my original question. Why does the car have so many options, but BMW doesn't tell you about them or want you to use them? This seems strange.
Or is it a case that outside the US they make these programming options 'more' available?
Old 06-12-2003, 12:22 AM
:-)

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
is this a change on 2004's? because up to the 2003's the U.S. spec coupes do not have auto close rear windows.

02 M3 6MT - a bunch of mods | No V-CSL | No carbon fiber anywhere
Sold: 03 330Ci - No Leather | No Moonroof | No Step | European delivered
Old 06-12-2003, 07:16 AM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew330CiM
is this a change on 2004's? because up to the 2003's the U.S. spec coupes do not have auto close rear windows.
It is an error on the list of options. It is not available.....
Old 06-12-2003, 07:23 AM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Ah ha! This was my original question. Why does the car have so many options, but BMW doesn't tell you about them or want you to use them? This seems strange.
I don't know about what is listed on BMWnation's list because I don't have the time/desire to read through the whole thing, but I'l bet that many of those "programmable features" are already standard affair on the US models. Others are probably not available due to fear of law suits (such as the auto close rear windows on the coupes-- you could accidentally hit the button and crunch your little kid's finger if he is playing near the window, for example). Others are probably features that we already have not been allowed to have in the US but are available elsewhere, also for liability reasons-- auto-close of the windows/moonroof via the remote, auto-close of the convertible top via the remote (instead of via the door lock only). The final reason is the one I already suggested-- simplicity. I don't think BMW wants to make it so that the custom programming on each car consists of setting 50+ custom settings.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i