Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11' 328 xDrive Touring
Windshield Warranty?

Ok, this might sounds stupid and i think i know the answer but would like to hear your opinions.
I have read before that our windshields are pretty weak in the sense that it takes nothing to crack them; however i didnt foresee this.

So sunday was the first time i had to take the car on the highway, a short trip, 30 miles each way. There was no construction or hazardous roads so there was no oversized rocks or anything like that.
I had to go coach a premier soccer club tryouts so the car sat in the lot for about 5 hours under about 90 degree weather. Time to go home, i opened the windows and blasted the AC. I was on my way to the on ramp and i hear this loud crack noise. There was a car in front of me but it was a good 100 feet ahead of me.

in short, i have a huge crack in the windshield starting from the top of the windshield right in front of the passenger. At first since i didnt hear a hit from a stone i thought it was a change in temperature. Later when i got home i saw there was a chip about 1.5 inches from the top of the windshield. It didnt just form a star but it cracked a good 8 to 10 inches.

Ok, so obviously i can just claim my insurance and get it replaced, i know thats what insurance is for. However i hate to have to replace it already on my dime (i know insurance will pay for it, but the deductible will only save me about 100 bucks) when the car barely has 1000 miles on it. Couldnt his be considered a defect in parts?

what do you all say?
Ads by Google
Old 08-26-2008, 10:28 AM
F e s t S p o n s o r

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
Nice try. Great story by the way. Can't wait till the movie comes out. Just kidden. I had 87 miles on mine, I fill the pain.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:42 AM

haha. yeah i know. it was more of a vent/hope kinda thing.

that is brutal though.

follow up question. how much does this cost?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 AM
F e s t S p o n s o r

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
Well if you go with insurance, your deductible like you said. Otherwise It depends if you put the same windshield in. I had 2 3 series quotes this summer and one was OEM for $1200 and non-OEM $250. Plus i had to get gasket for around the window. I keep the $1000 in my pocket.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 AM

wait.. what 1000?

you obviously went with the non-OEM, which ran you 200 bucks. fair enough. thats less than the deductible for sure. I might go the same route; however for another 50 i can get the OEM. Why wouldnt i?
or i could claim OEM, get non-OEM and pocket the extra grand
Old 08-26-2008, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Motors View Post
Well if you go with insurance, your deductible like you said. Otherwise It depends if you put the same windshield in. I had 2 3 series quotes this summer and one was OEM for $1200 and non-OEM $250. Plus i had to get gasket for around the window. I keep the $1000 in my pocket.
When I leased by E90 in Oct 05, I got a crack within 10 miles from dealer from some big rig. I only replaced it prior to lease turn in. They wanted well over $1K for OEM glass as WOZ points out. BMWFS confirmed as long as window is of like kind i.e. rain sensing, non OEM is fine. I paid my deductible and put that grand in my pocket as well.

On Order: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 08-26-2008, 12:38 PM

hmm. wouldnt the insurance company request a copy of the receipt?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckm1515 View Post
When I leased by E90 in Oct 05, I got a crack within 10 miles from dealer from some big rig. I only replaced it prior to lease turn in. They wanted well over $1K for OEM glass as WOZ points out. BMWFS confirmed as long as window is of like kind i.e. rain sensing, non OEM is fine. I paid my deductible and put that grand in my pocket as well.
that is called insurance fraud if you submit a claim for one amount and pay for a lesser amount.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:52 PM

it would be fraud if you lie. i know that my ins company has paid me an amount and just told me to get it fixed when i had a hit and run.
obviously i wouldnt agree to that because the minute you cash the check then the claim is closed. if the repair runs more then you are on your own.on the same token if it runs lower then you luck out. i dont know who would take a fixed amount for a repair and run the risk the repair costs more.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: A car
I guess if you submit a claim based on one amount because you have a bona-fide quote, the insurance company pays and then subsequently find a smaller quote that would not be fraud I expect... but I am no expert. I do know in the past I had a claim paid and my father then billed me family rates so there was a difference I was able to pocket - that would be not different - or perhaps that makes me guilty of fraud!?!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:35 PM

thanks for the info guys. i'll get some quotes. did you guys call your dealer for recommendation or did you just call any glass company?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
i had mine replaced and it cost me nothing. State Farm offers protection for windshield glass at NO cost. check and see if your policy has a similar protection.