Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 06-02-2003, 08:31 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Thumbs down Carmax sucks.

Took the old M3 to Carmax this weekend to see how much they'd give me for it. Of course, they refused to divulge any information over the phone, so I had no idea what ballpark they would be in. After making the not-short drive out there and cooling my heels for an hour and a half, they presented me with an offer that was so low as to be not just laughable, but actually insulting to my intelligence. They based this offer on a Kelley Blue Book report showing 16,900 as the "average" trade in value for my car, and then generously tacked on 1500 or so as an inducement.

That got me to thinking. I know that KBB numbers are, as a rule, low, but that sounded off even for KBB. So I looked it up, and the value (using the same criteria they used) came back as 19K. Hmm. I then tried telling KBB my car was a coupe. Ah! Low and behold, a value of 16,900. Carmax had run the value (and based their offer) on the numbers for a coupe instead of a convertible.

I will let you draw your own conclusions about whether this may have been an honest mistake, but having looked at the KBB database, it's pretty hard to miss the "bodystyle" question. And even the least observant people have little trouble divining my car is a convertible, given the fact that (with the top down) IT HAS NO ROOF.

I will not be returning to Carmax, either for sale or for purchase.
Ads by Google
Old 06-02-2003, 08:41 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Have you ever wondered why so many dealers are going to the "no haggle" approach? It's because it is so profitable...people think they are getting a more "fair" deal this way

Funny that CarMax has 4 '99 M3 convertibles listed in the Baltimore/DC area all for over $32,000....that is one heck of a profit margin
Old 06-02-2003, 08:44 AM
Car Junkie

Mein Auto: '88 M3, Ex-'99 M3
That's a pretty bad mistake, but I've never had a problem with Carmax's appraisal or sales services. Their sale prices are not rock-bottom, nor are their purchase offers as high as they could be; however, I've never been treated poorly and the offers are fair when you think about what they are. FWIW, they offered me $50 more for my Grand Prix than Auto Advantage did when I bought the '99.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
sold: '99 M3 Coupe
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
(Support Vehicle)
Old 06-02-2003, 09:32 AM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Re: Carmax sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by JST
So I looked it up, and the value (using the same criteria they used) came back as 19K. Hmm. I then tried telling KBB my car was a coupe. Ah! Low and behold, a value of 16,900. Carmax had run the value (and based their offer) on the numbers for a coupe instead of a convertible.
Did you do this there with them watching?

Going into Carmax has always felt like going into a Best Buy...it seems like no one that you deal with actually knows anything about what they are selling (or in your case buying).

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-02-2003, 09:37 AM
Car Junkie

Re: Re: Carmax sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Clyde@work

Going into Carmax has always felt like going into a Best Buy...it seems like no one that you deal with actually knows anything about what they are selling (or in your case buying).
Funny, Carmax is part of the Circuit City group. Around here, though, I've noticed that the Circuit City guys know a little bit more about the stuff on their shelves than the BB guys. I wouldn't trust either one for much, though.

Again, I'm surprised that they would miss the CONVERTIBLE part of your car. Even if they were somehow oblivious to the fabric top, it should have come up in the VIN. I mean, they're not experts in any one car, but they're generally not THAT bad.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

(Support Vehicle)
Old 06-02-2003, 10:09 AM

Re: Re: Carmax sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Clyde@work

No, I sort of left expeditiously. I was pretty pissed by that point (since I'd been sitting around being ignored for about half an hour after I saw them finish inspecting the car). And the local dealer gave me a better offer, anyway. I only figured the KBB stuff out after I got home.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Carmax sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jetfire
Funny, Carmax is part of the Circuit City group. Around here, though, I've noticed that the Circuit City guys know a little bit more about the stuff on their shelves than the BB guys. I wouldn't trust either one for much, though.

Again, I'm surprised that they would miss the CONVERTIBLE part of your car. Even if they were somehow oblivious to the fabric top, it should have come up in the VIN. I mean, they're not experts in any one car, but they're generally not THAT bad.
KBB doesn't use a VIN decoder, and I don't think Carmax would know what "WBSBK" meant if the answer were written in flaming letters 20 feet tall.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Early roadfly migrant

Mein Auto: 13 535i 11 R350 98 M3/4
Just sell the car yourself. You will easily get something in the 20s, depending on mileage, condition, etc. BTW, what is the mileage on your car?
98 M3/4/5
00 323i (sold)
10 MB ML350 (sold)
08 MB GL450 (sold)
Old 06-02-2003, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal
Just sell the car yourself. You will easily get something in the 20s, depending on mileage, condition, etc. BTW, what is the mileage on your car?
64K. I'm asking 25K for it. It's in very nice condition. It's listed on Cars.com, Autotrader and Toadfly.

Ad available here.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e36
Carmax...Making Money off people...just like circuit city
Old 06-02-2003, 05:33 PM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by boostedbmw
Carmax...Making Money off people...just like circuit city
Isn't that kind of the idea of a for profit business?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: toyota
You're All A Bunch Of Idiots

I have been in the car buisness for over 15 years. I've worked at Carmax for a few of those years. When Carmax appraises your vehicle, do you honestly think that they will give you what you expect? Carmax does buy cars, so they will purchase your car and either sell it on their lot, or at a wholesale auction. There are many factors involved in apraising a vehicle: first, it's all about market value. If you bring a sports car in for an apraisal in fall or winter do you expect getting more than they offer? Don't be stupid. The second important factor is frame/structure damage. Any evidence, you are screwed. Third is previous or current signs of body damage. Paint is not original? sorry we will assume it was involved in an accident. And finally , mileage. Not to mention, cars makers are constantly changing bodystyles, so don't get caught up with sentimental value. I do know for a fact that Carmax is very much overpriced. So, do your homework. Just because you might be a 50 year old that makes alot of money and think your sh-- don't stink, does not make you wise. Wise up. Any smart a---s want to reply? I'll be waiting. Bring it on.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:49 PM
blah

Mein Auto: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy007 View Post
Wise up. Any smart a---s want to reply? I'll be waiting. Bring it on.
Nice first post.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:38 AM
Astigmatic Visionary

Mein Auto: 325Cic-Topaz-Sand
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumratt View Post
Nice first post.

Digging up a 3 1/2 year old thread to state the obvious(frame damage = less money etc) and spew insults. Welcome to the Fest !
Old 01-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Quote:
I have been in the car buisness for over 15 years. I've worked at Carmax for a few of those years. When Carmax appraises your vehicle, do you honestly think that they will give you what you expect? Carmax does buy cars, so they will purchase your car and either sell it on their lot, or at a wholesale auction. There are many factors involved in apraising a vehicle: first, it's all about market value. If you bring a sports car in for an apraisal in fall or winter do you expect getting more than they offer? Don't be stupid. The second important factor is frame/structure damage. Any evidence, you are screwed. Third is previous or current signs of body damage. Paint is not original? sorry we will assume it was involved in an accident. And finally , mileage. Not to mention, cars makers are constantly changing bodystyles, so don't get caught up with sentimental value. I do know for a fact that Carmax is very much overpriced. So, do your homework. Just because you might be a 50 year old that makes alot of money and think your sh-- don't stink, does not make you wise. Wise up. Any smart a---s want to reply? I'll be waiting. Bring it on.
First, welcome to the 'fest! Many people introduce themselves in the new forum member section, perhaps you'd like to try posting there.

As to your comment, this board runs on a pretty open-throttle principle, with folks getting, within reason and within the tou, free reign to express their opinions.

Which, for the sake of this post, for me, are:

You sound someone who seems, with their first post in an on-line community, for some reason to want to elicit an on-going argument about a topic with which most people would agree with you -- namely, that people should do their homework to get educated about the car buying experience.

I can't imagine why you would want to do that, nor can I imagine why you would want to start name calling ("idiots"?) with post number one. You will find you will get as good as you give. Many people on this board have much more experience than you in this business.

So, do what you like, its all good.

I do have an idea, though, about how you can contribute. How about sticking around here and offering your expertise to posters without as much knowledge and specialized experience you have?

Jon's idea behind bimmerfest is "bringing the BMW community together".

If you can contribute to that, welcome.

Otherwise, please don't let the door hit you on the way out.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 01-28-2007 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Editorial
Old 01-28-2007, 05:13 AM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Nice first post.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was also his only one.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 01-28-2007, 05:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 X5 325I
Quote:

Last edited by TropicsX5; 01-28-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:53 AM
Car Junkie

I can see why the Langka thread might pop up now and then, but this one?!

Ah, well. Welcome to the fest.

'88 M3
Cosmos Black

(Support Vehicle)
Old 01-28-2007, 06:30 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

Mein Auto: 330i, Z3 2.8L, 545i
Trading in

I have used car max in the past to sell a car and had a good experience. Car Max offered me 700.00 more than the dealer and I went with it.

However, you wha they say about hind sight. So when I bought my 2005 X5 new I paid sales tax on the entire 54K. Had I traded the car in at the BMW place the trade in would have been subtracted fron the purchase price and I would have only paid tax on the difference. This is a fact. When I think of the extra driving to car max the two trips, handling the insurance, bank deposits and trips to the BMW place to buy, it just wasn't worth the trip to Car max over the 700.00 difference. Car max would have to be a couple grand higher for me to consider them nex tme.

As for KBB on your M3 - I think a call back to the manager to doubke check would have been appropriate. Sounds like to me you really don't know what happend, So ask then you'll know for sure. Besides the 1500.00 extra may not have been to intise but to add for the convertible.

As a last note. I'd rather deal with the dealer or a place like car max than post a personal add to sell the vehicle.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Get left...Go Fast

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport
Quote:
Nice first post.

+1

and also the fact that it's a 3 1/2 year old thread !

2000 528i
Sport/Premium Packages, Factory Xenons w/Preditor Chromiums,
Infinity Basslink,Lip Spoiler,Clear's all around,Door Handle LED's,
CosmoRacing CAI, Conforti Shark Injected
BMWCCA #377625

CaptnGeetch
Old 01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Other than being a little rough around the edges, his post seemed to make sense (at least to me.)
Old 01-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
I sold my 528i to Carmx in July because their offer was $1500 HIGHER than any of the three BMW dealers i tried to trade in at on my new X3. It was easy and painless and i'd use them again any day.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 01-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
I sold my 528i to Carmx in July because their offer was $1500 HIGHER than any of the three BMW dealers i tried to trade in at on my new X3. It was easy and painless and i'd use them again any day.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 01-30-2007, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if it was also his only one.

Alex
So it seems Alex...so it seems...

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:46 AM
"...tear down this wall."

Mein Auto: Gasoline powered vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Took the old M3 to Carmax this weekend to see how much they'd give me for it. Of course, they refused to divulge any information over the phone, so I had no idea what ballpark they would be in. After making the not-short drive out there and cooling my heels for an hour and a half, they presented me with an offer that was so low as to be not just laughable, but actually insulting to my intelligence. They based this offer on a Kelley Blue Book report showing 16,900 as the "average" trade in value for my car, and then generously tacked on 1500 or so as an inducement.

That got me to thinking. I know that KBB numbers are, as a rule, low, but that sounded off even for KBB. So I looked it up, and the value (using the same criteria they used) came back as 19K. Hmm. I then tried telling KBB my car was a coupe. Ah! Low and behold, a value of 16,900. Carmax had run the value (and based their offer) on the numbers for a coupe instead of a convertible.

I will let you draw your own conclusions about whether this may have been an honest mistake, but having looked at the KBB database, it's pretty hard to miss the "bodystyle" question. And even the least observant people have little trouble divining my car is a convertible, given the fact that (with the top down) IT HAS NO ROOF.

I will not be returning to Carmax, either for sale or for purchase.
I've had dealers lowball but "claim" they did the opposite. In 2000 a dealer offered my 17,500 for my 2 door F-150 4X4 and claim they thought it was a 4 door but out of good spirit would not retract the offer for 24 hrs.

Basically, car dealer wanted me to believe there was a mistake in my favor but I only had 24 hrs to think about it. Ha!