Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MY13 X5 3.5i Prem.
Have to vent...

So I have read so many "I hate my X3" threads, and I always took them with a grain of salt. I don't want this to be another one of those, but I just feel like BMW really has let us all down in the QC department when it comes to the X3 (not ALL of their cars, as I have 2 others, a 2005 325i and a 2007 530i with no problems).

My first 6 months with my MY07 X3 were fantastic. It drove like a dream, I thought all of the people complaining about the tranny and other issues on this site were just plain 'ole crazy. The only problem I had in that time was that my heated steering wheel didn't work from the get go and needed to be replaced... no problem.

Fast forward 6 - 7 months from when I drove off the lot. I came out to my car and noticed a few drops of coolant. Went over to the dealer, they "pressure tested" and found no leaks. 2 days later I walk out to find a puddle of coolant under my car... they had to replace the radiator. During this time they "upgraded" my tranny software to the latest (didn't ask for it) and down hill from there. I started having tranny issues about 2 months later off and on. Took it in a couple of times, they found nothing wrong (obviously) and kept reprogramming and resetting. Such is life, I read the forums, understood it was an issue that wasn't getting fixed and decided to live with it.

About a month ago I went to take a turn and my X3 just completely froze up, wouldn't downshift and had no power. Service engine light came on immediately. Took it to the dealer the next day, they said nothing was wrong with it (service engine light had gone out when I started it up in the AM). Took the car back, 3 days later same thing happened. Took the car in, they said the coolant was low and that was the problem, they refilled, pressure tested and gave me back my car. 1 week after that, same thing happened AGAIN. I drove straight to the dealer, demanded my loaner and told them to keep it. This time it was a "ping / knock" sensor, replaced, gave me back the car and I was done.

Finally, on Monday my COOLANT light (gee, and they said the service engine light was for the coolant) came on. Brought it right in to the shop and my coolant was almost completely EMPTY. Luckily the engine had not gotten too hot so no damage done (thank god I'm on a lease). They took it in, gave me a loaner, pressure tested, refilled, said all was well in BMW land the next day.

Today (got the car back Tues, today is Thurs) I get in the car to go get lunch and the coolant light comes back on. Took it straight back to the dealer, NOW a foreman is going to look at it. Basically I have wasted hours upon hours of going back and forth, now on my 4th loaner in about as many weeks. Only plus is I landed a MY08 335xi twice.

This is a BMW NA owned dealership and they don't seem to be able to fix the car at all. Not only are they unable to fix it, they don't seem to be able to know what issues cause what. Telling me my service engine light means the coolant is low is ridiculous... my radiator blew once before, I KNOW there is a light specifically for the coolant. The car is about 18 months old with 26k miles on it. How can this many things possibly go wrong? I do not drive the car like a crazy person, it's a lot of highway miles mostly.

Sorry for the very long post but I just needed to get this off of my chest. Any of you looking for an X3 heed warning to the numerous posts on here. I am not dissing BMW, in fact I urge you to look at other models (check out the 335xi, it is FANTASTIC!!). Just steer clear of a car that will be in the shop more than you drive it!
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2008, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: Integra
Wow man that sucks a lot. I love bmw's but that's just gay. I hear that its a hit or miss when you get a bmw. You get one that's just great or you get one that just sucks and always breaks down. But for them not to know whats wrong with the car....now thats just dumb. I think they should just give you a new car for that. Forget all the trouble and start off with a whole new car.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Every BMW model is either very reliable, or not at all. You haven't had the best of luck with yours, and it may be time to move on or persue lemon law because the same issues have cropped up.

Trust me, the 335i models have problems of their own. Like the fuel pump for instance. Or the new software the fudges everything up.

Keep in mind, this is a forum, where complaints are loud, praises not often sung. Our '04 has been running relatively problem free (the weird TCU problem today resolved itself fully) and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another new X3 as long as it had 3 pedals. (Of course, I wouldn't because it's too big, but that's another story)
Old 08-28-2008, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Sounds to me like a lemon law issue. It's been in for the same issue so many times and they can't seem to fix it.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
You have my sympathies. Moreover, your experience seems just all-too-similar to those of others who have posted here about their frustrations with experienced failures or just crappy performance seemingly falling on service folks in complete denial at worst, or overwhelming puzzlement at best. For anyone to say this sort of experience is "normal" for BMW or otherwise anything short of shocking simply tells me they haven't been driving BMW's long. BMW has been cranking out many nearly bullet-proof models for decades, and my experience has been that on those occasions something did under perform or even fail, the techs knew how to fix it and did just that, with none of what we are seeing here. These aren't Jags . . . .
Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I have to agree on the comment that it is good or not.

My 08 has been stellar. I have even gone so far as to be a card carrying BMW CCA member. And my wife now loves driving the car.

However, I almost threw in the towel with BMW's based on my 07's circumstances and the original responses to its problems.

I wanted the BMW I had heard about all through my childhood. It seems tenacity is the key to happiness when things go sour.

Remember a Lemon Law issue is based upon first occurence.

So if this happened before 12 months were up that is when you have a legal grievance as I understand most laws.

I recommend sending a registered letter to BMWNA and the GM of your dealership explaining your situation.

When BMW makes good they do a good job. All they can say is no, and then you know what to do.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 08-29-2008, 06:23 AM

Unfortunately I don't think that this would qualify for Lemon Law in NY. Seeing as although a lot of problems seem to stem from coolant issues, they are not all *exactly* the same and thus I believe are considered different problems. I am well over a year of having this car now, almost on 2 years. I have joked around with the SA that they should just give me a new car already, but have not gone to upper management yet. Seeing as this is a factory owned dealership, I am not sure whether it would bode well or not.

Overall I am a happy BMW customer, sans the MY07 X3 experience. Every other BMW I have owned or currently own performs exactly as I expect(ed) it to, if not better. I could not be happier with my 05 325i convertible (manual, the good stuff) or my 07 530i.

The amazing part about this whole experience has been the fact that the so called pressure tests on my coolant system turned up nothing both times. When my radiator blew, I was able to see coolant actively leaking out the day before. How could a pressure test not turn up this leak? After it blew I called roadside assistance and they told me not even to turn the car on... well the car was 3 stories below a building in a garage where no flatbed could go, how was it supposed to get out of there?

I just think that BMW may need to re-explore their problem solving steps to make sure they are doing a thorough enough job. Clearly the pressure test is one part of their system that does not seem to be doing the job properly, which means there are probably other methods they use that have similar outcomes.

I guess I am almost "lucky" that I am only 5 minutes from my dealer as I see many others on here talk about how they are hours away from the dealership. If this were the case with me, I believe that I probably would have hired an attorney or demanded a trade assist long ago. It is inconvenient for me to take time out of my day still to go to the dealership, but it is not an entire days trip back and forth. My post was basically meant as a plea to BMW to take a close look at their QC and how they are handling customers problems. If a BMW factory owned and trained dealership cannot fix their cars, what faith are we supposed to have in those that are privately owned?

Oh, did I mention that my passenger "weight" sensor / seat belt sensor blew as well so it constantly thinks someone / something is on the seat and constantly chimes about the seat belt? Yeah, just one more tid-bit... At least I get my frustration out by beating the seat until the sensor disengages and stops chiming at me.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:09 PM

Now this is why I am so upset... I got my car back today and here were the issues (read the above posts by me to see the back story). I will post the ticket verbatim:
"Topped off coolant and pressured tested cooling system and found leak from radiator fins. Replaced radiator and bled and topped off coolant. Pressure tested again and no leaks were detected. Road tested vehicle on highway"
2 items down I have the following:
"Additional coolant leak evident after road test. After road test found lower radiator hose is leaking. Replaced lower radiator hose, bled and topped off with coolant. Pressure tested cooling system again and no more leaks were detected. Road test vehicle again on highway, inspected vehicle after road test and no more leaks were detected"

So now I am on radiator number 3 (first one was replaced a while ago after it crapped out). Now my car has been in 4 times in the past month, and they pressure tested my cooling system EVERY time and found no leaks. I am just finding it VERY hard to believe that they actually performed the service they are billing BMW NA for under warranty (funny isn't it since this is a BMW NA owned dealership). How do you miss not just one, but TWO leaks in the cooling system when the coolant was almost completely gone.

Again, the only saving grace of this was that I got the 335xi back for the long weekend...

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had radiator / cooling system issues in their MY07 X3's?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:01 PM

What is an "MY" 07 X3?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Who, me?

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
What is an "MY" 07 X3?

MY = Model Year
Old 09-02-2008, 03:10 PM

Duplicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfdx View Post
MY = Model Year
Isnt that redundant? If you don't know what 07 X3 on a BMW board means? Sorry just reminds me of all the cute business lingo that gets thrown around (no disrespect to original poster, sorry OP).
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 09-02-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Isnt that redundant? If you don't know what 07 X3 on a BMW board means? Sorry just reminds me of all the cute business lingo that gets thrown around (no disrespect to original poster, sorry OP).
I feel SOOOO disrespected! You must be a BMW service advisor to disrespect me that much! ha

But in all seriousness I think it is a good thing to distinguish as some people might say that their car is a 2006 if they bought a MY07 before January 2007 if you catch my drift.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycrazyy View Post
. . . if you catch my drift.
This thread is adrift! First Evl, now y - hopeless!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 PM

Now don't go and be logical on me..hahahahahahaa

Makes sense YC.

However, your dealers SA and BMW are another story.

It seems their diagnostic pressure tests are at fault. If they keep using them and having the same problem reoccur.

Kind of like the definition of insanity---doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 04 X3 3.0 auto Sport
It sounds like you have really had only one problem with the X3 and the problem is that your dealer can't figure it out and keeps trying incorrect things. It's not the cars fault it isn't getting fixed, it's the dealers.....
Old 09-03-2008, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Volvo S60, '97 Jetta
Haven't been on the forum in awhile now - we love our '08 MT ( 3,000 miles) so far but I'll admit I don't look forward to going back to the dealership for a problem for fear it'll come back in worse shape - but that's as much my issue as it is theirs - my wife hears a slight brake squeak occasionally - I think she's part cannine since I don't really hear it but I'm gonna wait until it's really loud every time I brake before bringing it in.

Having said all that though you did buy a used car and I agree with another poster who thought maybe your dealership was inept based on your feedback.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermax View Post
Having said all that though you did buy a used car and I agree with another poster who thought maybe your dealership was inept based on your feedback.
I bought a used car? I most certainly did not, I bought it brand spankin' new from the dealer, drove it off the lot the day it got in from the ship.

I completely agree, the dealer is most certainly inept... the point of my post as I pointed out a couple of times already, is that this is a BMW CORPORATE OWNED / TRAINED dealership. Not some Joe Schmoe in the middle of nowhere who decided to sell some fancy cars to them rich folks down yonder.

Beyond that, my issues certainly do point to a problem with the car itself in ADDITION to the dealership. See, this is radiator #3, meaning I have already had 2 defective radiators in 18 months of ownership. That my friends is a QC problem on BMW's head end with no fault to the dealership. The fact that the dealership couldn't spot a leak if it was dumping on their face is a whole other issue.

This issue topped with the other ones I've had with the car (broken heated steering wheel straight off the boat -- clearly no one checked this out prior to delivering the car; the all too inherent tranny problems; a couple of radiators; sunroof / rear window rattles; passenger seat weight / belt sensor; the list can go on). These are quite a number of problems to have with a 40k+ car in the first 2 years / 26k miles of ownership.

So please don't try and bash saying "I bought a used car" because that certainly isn't the case... obviously BMW doesn't know how to fix BMW's
Old 09-03-2008, 02:39 PM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycrazyy View Post
So I have read so many "I hate my X3" threads, and I always took them with a grain of salt. I don't want this to be another one of those, but I just feel like BMW really has let us all down in the QC department when it comes to the X3 (not ALL of their cars, as I have 2 others, a 2005 325i and a 2007 530i with no problems).

My first 6 months with my MY07 X3 were fantastic. It drove like a dream, I thought all of the people complaining about the tranny and other issues on this site were just plain 'ole crazy. The only problem I had in that time was that my heated steering wheel didn't work from the get go and needed to be replaced... no problem.

Fast forward 6 - 7 months from when I drove off the lot. I came out to my car and noticed a few drops of coolant. Went over to the dealer, they "pressure tested" and found no leaks. 2 days later I walk out to find a puddle of coolant under my car... they had to replace the radiator. During this time they "upgraded" my tranny software to the latest (didn't ask for it) and down hill from there. I started having tranny issues about 2 months later off and on. Took it in a couple of times, they found nothing wrong (obviously) and kept reprogramming and resetting. Such is life, I read the forums, understood it was an issue that wasn't getting fixed and decided to live with it.

About a month ago I went to take a turn and my X3 just completely froze up, wouldn't downshift and had no power. Service engine light came on immediately. Took it to the dealer the next day, they said nothing was wrong with it (service engine light had gone out when I started it up in the AM). Took the car back, 3 days later same thing happened. Took the car in, they said the coolant was low and that was the problem, they refilled, pressure tested and gave me back my car. 1 week after that, same thing happened AGAIN. I drove straight to the dealer, demanded my loaner and told them to keep it. This time it was a "ping / knock" sensor, replaced, gave me back the car and I was done.

Finally, on Monday my COOLANT light (gee, and they said the service engine light was for the coolant) came on. Brought it right in to the shop and my coolant was almost completely EMPTY. Luckily the engine had not gotten too hot so no damage done (thank god I'm on a lease). They took it in, gave me a loaner, pressure tested, refilled, said all was well in BMW land the next day.

Today (got the car back Tues, today is Thurs) I get in the car to go get lunch and the coolant light comes back on. Took it straight back to the dealer, NOW a foreman is going to look at it. Basically I have wasted hours upon hours of going back and forth, now on my 4th loaner in about as many weeks. Only plus is I landed a MY08 335xi twice.

This is a BMW NA owned dealership and they don't seem to be able to fix the car at all. Not only are they unable to fix it, they don't seem to be able to know what issues cause what. Telling me my service engine light means the coolant is low is ridiculous... my radiator blew once before, I KNOW there is a light specifically for the coolant. The car is about 18 months old with 26k miles on it. How can this many things possibly go wrong? I do not drive the car like a crazy person, it's a lot of highway miles mostly.

Sorry for the very long post but I just needed to get this off of my chest. Any of you looking for an X3 heed warning to the numerous posts on here. I am not dissing BMW, in fact I urge you to look at other models (check out the 335xi, it is FANTASTIC!!). Just steer clear of a car that will be in the shop more than you drive it!
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
He lives! Haven't heard from 'him' in so long you know. Hey, why not show yourself on the trans thread? Hey, one can only hope...
Old 01-20-2010, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3 3.0 Highland Grn
Heads up for anyone chasing a phantom radiator leak that does not show under pressure test - note that most tests are run 'at running temperture'.
Here's my recent experience... $394 worth.. There is a hose betwen engine and radiator at the lower front passenger side. On this hose is attached a temperture sensor. It is attached by way of some nipple extension on the main hose. When the out side temperture is cold, the nipple binding around the sensor leaked - very, very litttle. When the engine warmed up, it stopped. I would half to add about a pint every 6 months to compensate. After the 3rd refill, I had BMW check it out - naturally I'm out of warranty. The service mechanic said that the nipple had gotten brittle and would thus would leak when the rubber was cold. There wasn't any real trace of leakage to show this, just high pressure test on a cold engine and mechanic that has seen this before.
This is on an 05 X3 with 44K miles. I'm beginning to wonder about BMW and it's legendary superiority.......
Old 01-20-2010, 11:39 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
What ever happened with this X3?

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 2007 x3
No problems with our 07 x3 cooling system. As a matter of fact nothing else either. I am sorry you have had such bad experience because it is a terrific rig IMO so far.

George Allan