Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 735
Question CD changer stuck

The 6 disc CD Changer in my 2003 735 is stuck. It does not eject, it just stays there doing nothing. Also, the car doesn't seem to recognize it either. Has this happened to anyone else and could tell me what they've done? The nearest BMW service is 300km away and would like to try fixing it myself...

Thank you!
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Kubota on 48's
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatx View Post
The 6 disc CD Changer in my 2003 735 is stuck. It does not eject, it just stays there doing nothing. Also, the car doesn't seem to recognize it either. Has this happened to anyone else and could tell me what they've done? The nearest BMW service is 300km away and would like to try fixing it myself...

Thank you!
yes, i had this problem when i first got my car. brought it in and they replaced the changer and did some software updates.

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 08-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
heheh i have the same problem as you, the flap just opens and closes instead of ejecting the cartridge. Its been like this for 2 weeks but I'm too lazy to take it to the dealership
Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: 05 bmw745i
i had this and fixed it!!!

hey i had this problem and fixed it today. please use this fix at your own expense.
so here is what i think the problem was. you probably pushed the cartridge in just enough but not all the way so that the flap was able to close but the cartridge was not completely inserted. (this is what i did any way)

to fix it i just stuck my finger nice and straight and pushed right through the flap (i heard a crunching sound which did not sound good in the process) and the flap open and then continued to push till i heard the cartridge click!!

Now everything works!! I feel like a genius. now if you hear a crunch and everything does not work don't blame me but mine does work fine now....
Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: F07 550i GT
Ive had this problem, it was due to the dealer giving me the car back "fixed", but forgot to reprogram the cd changer. I had to return and have it updated.

As an Engineer I have to say: When all else fails read the manual. Until then, push random buttons like there is no tomorrow!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 740i
Had this occur on my 740...mechanic told me that BMW changers are actually notorious for having their changers up & die. Not good, but that's something that will inherently happen to their brand of CD changer. Luckily, I have an ipod that I now use most of the time and have removed, but not replaced, the changer. Their just too expensive to justify replacing fading technology.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 AM
The White Knight

Send a message via AIM to unirok Send a message via Yahoo to unirok
Mein Auto: Cadillac STS-V Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by manithemoneyman View Post
heheh i have the same problem as you, the flap just opens and closes instead of ejecting the cartridge. Its been like this for 2 weeks but I'm too lazy to take it to the dealership

X2 with my 2002 745i but the 2003 seems to work great!

Cadillac STS-V series
BMW 745i Sport
Mclaren Turbo Grand Prix
Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
Old 09-05-2008, 08:09 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 540fan
Mein Auto: 2001 540iT & 2004 745Li
Had same problem, dealer fixed under warranty but I went with the mObridge unit and an iPod. Have a spare CD changer with trim piece...
Old 09-06-2008, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
Well I finally took my car in Friday to have the changer looked at and they said I have to come back for Tuesday because the changer has to be approved and ordered from Germany.

Apparently it costs $935 for a cd changer in this car
Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 06 750Li
hey guys...i'm under CPO and my cd changer seems to be shot.

it works fine, it changes cds and tracks, recognizes the names and everything but when i press eject, the door opens but the changer doesnt pop out. i've tried fiddling around with it but no luck...any suggestions?

2006 BMW M5
SOLD: 2006 750Li Monaco Blue/Black|Sports Package|Convenience Package|Comfort Access|Logic 7|Rear Entertainment|Night Vision|SAT/HD|Cold Weather|Luxury Seats|Rear Power Sunshades|35% Tint|22" Custom Wheels|H&R's|Alpina Trunk Spoiler| ACS Roof Spoiler| MTEC v3|
Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li. 2000 323i
I had the same problem, but fixed it. Look at post 7 on this thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...light=cd+stuck
Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 06 750Li
i think u mean post #8?

ill go and try that. the cartridge switches cd's if i want it to, so dont think that is stuck, but i'll definitely do a reset and see if it works...thanks

2006 BMW M5
SOLD: 2006 750Li Monaco Blue/Black|Sports Package|Convenience Package|Comfort Access|Logic 7|Rear Entertainment|Night Vision|SAT/HD|Cold Weather|Luxury Seats|Rear Power Sunshades|35% Tint|22" Custom Wheels|H&R's|Alpina Trunk Spoiler| ACS Roof Spoiler| MTEC v3|
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4Q 3.0L
Fix

Hi, I ran across this thread whilst looking for a solution to this problem. I eventually came up with my own, and thought I would post it as it might help someone else out in the future. I installed a "new" (read: re-manufactured) CD changer from the dealer and upon completion, found that it wouldn't eject the CD cartridge.

There is a small black plastic lever on the bottom of the carriage that releases the cartridge. Get a file folder - the kind with hooks on either end, available from any office supply store - and remove the metal hook. You should have a thin strip of fairly rigid metal, about 12" long in your hands.

Slide this strip between that cartridge and the carriage that it slides into, on the bottom side of the cartridge about where the "zine" in "Magazine" is on the label on the front. Slide it back till it stops, then slowly withdraw it whilst wiggling back and forth. The cartridge should release.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 750 Li
Genius!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 745i E65
Smile stuck cd changer

i know this is an old thread. However i have owned my 2003 745i for 3 years in fact over 3 years and i referred to this site many times to try to solve this issue of my stuck 6 x CD changer from when i bought it.
so lets get that in perspective, 3 years of single cd changing on the main console with my daughter in control of music choice, thats not good. I could not afford the dealer quote of 400+ to fix. so anyway i tried tapping, easing it out, new fuse, and did not want to try to reset the system as i was worried
about something else going wrong. it was well and truly stuck and i must have tried 6 or 7 attamepts for several hours in past 3 years. yesterday i read on here from a likeminded poster hold the power button of the flap in and then tap the cd changer unit itself with the back end of a screwdriver. I did this, i hit it softly, then i got angry
with it and gave it more of a whack with the palm of my hand , not a stupidly hard smack but small defined hits on back of screwdriver the front end of which was pressing on the middle of the cd changer , and hey presto ....result - FIXED, it popped out. my god, 3 years on i have a cd changer magazine in my hand, amazing, now here's the next issue. The ex owner of my car
left 6 cds in the stack (it was stuck of course when i bought the car) ... these turn out to be strange, i am not sure what to do with them, i was hoping for the rolling stones, radiohead, robbie williams and i got 'psychology to selling' and a set of 3 cds called 'end the struggle, dance with life' part 1 2 and 3. crikey. i am now trying to work out how to get the whole lot stuck back in there so i dont have to listen to this stuff !
Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by manithemoneyman View Post
That's one of my problems. Love the car but minor issues keep coming up.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespt View Post
i know this is an old thread. However i have owned my 2003 745i for 3 years in fact over 3 years and i referred to this site many times to try to solve this issue of my stuck 6 x CD changer from when i bought it.
so lets get that in perspective, 3 years of single cd changing on the main console with my daughter in control of music choice, thats not good. I could not afford the dealer quote of 400+ to fix. so anyway i tried tapping, easing it out, new fuse, and did not want to try to reset the system as i was worried
about something else going wrong. it was well and truly stuck and i must have tried 6 or 7 attamepts for several hours in past 3 years. yesterday i read on here from a likeminded poster hold the power button of the flap in and then tap the cd changer unit itself with the back end of a screwdriver. I did this, i hit it softly, then i got angry
with it and gave it more of a whack with the palm of my hand , not a stupidly hard smack but small defined hits on back of screwdriver the front end of which was pressing on the middle of the cd changer , and hey presto ....result - FIXED, it popped out. my god, 3 years on i have a cd changer magazine in my hand, amazing
Well I don't feel to bad, my changer has been stuck for about a year. I've tried a few things to get it out but and lo and behold yours did the trick!!!! This place is great thanks guys for your input(s).

Last edited by Darkman1906; 12-10-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 97 528i
Worked for me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespt View Post
with it and gave it more of a whack with the palm of my hand , not a stupidly hard smack but small defined hits on back of screwdriver the front end of which was pressing on the middle of the cd changer , and hey presto ....result - FIXED, it popped out. my god, 3 years on i have a cd changer magazine in my hand, amazing, now here's the next issue. The ex owner of my car
left 6 cds in the stack (it was stuck of course when i bought the car) ... these turn out to be strange, i am not sure what to do with them, i was hoping for the rolling stones, radiohead, robbie williams and i got 'psychology to selling' and a set of 3 cds called 'end the struggle, dance with life' part 1 2 and 3. crikey. i am now trying to work out how to get the whole lot stuck back in there so i dont have to listen to this stuff !
Just bought an 04 745Li and it had the cartridge stuck too - this method free'd it up for me too! Thanks for that :-)

To re-cap, I had the door flap opened, pressed and held the eject button, and simultaneously popped the stuck cartridge fairly hard about 4 times. It popped out just fine.

Unfortunately the only disc in there was Akon Konvicted 2006, a serious rap/hip-hop album. Bummer. That music sucks.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 730D
Mark strickland

Just read the solutions to the problem. Will try tomorrow. If you have saved me 400.00 many thanks. This is the only problem i have had with the car in 3 years, touch wood.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 PM
745i Blk-Blk

Mein Auto: 2005 745i s
If it comes time to replace your 6 CD changer, let me know. I took mine out when I did the Ipod facelift 1.5yrs ago. It's out of my 2005 745i.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 AM

Mein Auto: 745 li 2004
dhiesta reply #18 fantastic and simple , it worked , guys u r the best

Last edited by blackcat_eg; 03-24-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: 745 li 2004
fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheista View Post
Just bought an 04 745Li and it had the cartridge stuck too - this method free'd it up for me too! Thanks for that :-)

To re-cap, I had the door flap opened, pressed and held the eject button, and simultaneously popped the stuck cartridge fairly hard about 4 times. It popped out just fine.

Unfortunately the only disc in there was Akon Konvicted 2006, a serious rap/hip-hop album. Bummer. That music sucks.
fantastic , it worked like a sharm and yet very simple , u r great