Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-31-2008, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 328i
Throttle Cable broke, need help how to repair

Hi All!

I was driving home tonight and completely lost the gass pedal. It went dead, no throttle, the car would not go. I was stranded on the interstate and had to get towed to my house. Upon looking further under hood, I pulled the cable next to the throttle and found that the end of the cable was not connected. I no clue how to fix this. At the is a small ball, that I'm assuming connects to some sort of plate.

Does anyone have a DIY or can give advice on how to repair it?

BTW: The car starts great, I can push the gas pedal all the way down, (which is floppy) and the car will move less than one mile and hour.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 09-01-2008, 06:38 AM
The Ultimate ‹bermensch

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Well, you might need to go to dealer/mechanic. Bentley states on 130-18, "Models with DME MS 42.0 are equipped with a throttle cable. Cable should be adjusted any time it is disconnected or replaced. Seriously? This procedure requires the factory scan tool or an equivalent to read and adjust throttle angle. It is recommended that this procedure be done by an authorized BMW dealer service department." Depending on MT or AT, there are specific instructions. Let me know if interested. Good Luck.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj330Ci View Post
Well, you might need to go to dealer/mechanic. Bentley states on 130-18, "Models with DME MS 42.0 are equipped with a throttle cable. Cable should be adjusted any time it is disconnected or replaced. Seriously? This procedure requires the factory scan tool or an equivalent to read and adjust throttle angle. It is recommended that this procedure be done by an authorized BMW dealer service department." Depending on MT or AT, there are specific instructions. Let me know if interested. Good Luck.
I'm definitely interested. I can't drive the car to dealer obviously, a tow truck can not get in where I'm at, so I'm stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 AM
The Ultimate ‹bermensch

Okay. One step at a time. Which transmission do you have? BTW this doesn't look easy at all but let's start at which trans.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 AM

It's a manual trans.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:45 AM
The Ultimate ‹bermensch

My next question is, Where would you rate your diy skills on a 1 - 10 scale? This question is really important because the fix itself might be really easy but according to Bentley a bunch of things are moved out of the way in order to get to it; things that are a major PITA because of where some fasteners are located. Get back soon and I'll tell you more. Meantime I'm going to look for a scanning upgrade for my printer so I can scan the directions, so keep your fingers crossed.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj330Ci View Post
My next question is, Where would you rate your diy skills on a 1 - 10 scale? This question is really important because the fix itself might be really easy but according to Bentley a bunch of things are moved out of the way in order to get to it; things that are a major PITA because of where some fasteners are located. Get back soon and I'll tell you more. Meantime I'm going to look for a scanning upgrade for my printer so I can scan the directions, so keep your fingers crossed.

I'd say a 6. I've done some work on my car. General maintenance, tune-ups, etc. I've also been told that this should go to a dealer because of the throttle slack on the cable has to be correct. That's the part I'm not sure of. Taking things on and off does not bother me, I have patience for that. It's not knowing how to adjust the tension on the cable that bothers me. Let me know, thanks for your help!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 AM
The Ultimate ‹bermensch

Have you ever replaced the tube elbow and the rubber boot? If so, that's good. According to Bentley these things are removed in order to get to the cable. Here's a link to illustrate the tube diagram. The cable is directly next to the throttle housing assembly, just north east of. http://bmwfans.info/original/E46/Cou...3/ill-13_0905/ As far as adjustment specs, Bentley has those as well.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 AM

No, I've never removed it. I did take a look at it and feel pretty confident that I could remove everything and get to it, but don't know what I need to do from there. Also, It looks like the cable has slipped out of the rubber sheath. The metal cable is exposed with the ball on the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0087.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	158768  
Old 09-01-2008, 09:29 AM
The Ultimate ‹bermensch

That is the best case scenario. Probably could re-seat it depending on what caused the problem. The PITA is taking the tubes off of the throttle body because of the position of the hose clamps fasteners and their screw head for lack of a better turn. Many have pulled their hair out trying to get to them. Where in relation to atl are you coming from? If you have another vehicle we could meet halfway. I've been wanting an excuse to shop Dekalb County Farmers Market if they're open today.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 AM

I'm actually in Dekalb county. The Market is in Decatur, about 8 miles or so from me. Looks like they are open.

http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/

Last edited by 328ijp; 09-01-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:53 AM
The Ultimate ‹bermensch

They are open; I just checked. Why don't you take a look at the location of the clamps mentioned, then find the screws and see if you'll have enough time to undo all that assuming you need this by tomorrow. This'll give you a sense for the difficulty of this job which probably accounts for about 85% of time involved. While you're there see if there are any cracks in any of the tubing especially at the Y split on the tube elbow. If so, this will have to be changed at some point but not necessarily today. Looking at the pic it looks like the screw is in the right position for removal which indicates a good probability that the tubing has been replaced which is really a good thing. Let me know and we'll talk about me meeting you. Check PM for my phone #