Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-07-2008, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: '09 328i E90
Which is the real Tasman Green Metallic?

With the updates to the BMW NA site and car configurator today, the renderings of Tasman Green on sedan and coupe seem to be considerably different.

Both sedan and coupe have the same color option code (A81) for Tasman Green Metallic, which leads to the inquiry:

Which is the real Tasman Green Metallic?

--LR
Old 09-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
I like that top color. It looks like they are the same color with different lighting.

That's a hard color to figure: http://www.joeselfbmw.com/listman/li...mages/13_1.jpg
Old 09-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Alpinweiss F32
I think that top e90 color looks great. I would hope that it looks that way in person.
2015 435i ///M Sport | Alpine White | Coral Red | 19" | Auto | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Dynamic Handling | Lighting | Premium | Technology | M-Sport Brakes | Rear Sunshade | HK | Leather Dashboard | MPPK | MPE | Leather Dashboard BMWCCA #409820
PCD: 10/31/2014
2009 335i E92
2008 335i E92
Old 09-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP8 View Post
I think that top e90 color looks great. I would hope that it looks that way in person.
Pretty close. I saw in on an X6. It's what I'm getting in November (ED).
Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
self cleaning color

The color in the first photo is more accurate. In most lighting conditions, it leans toward the gray side. In bright sunlight, the green is more evident. This is a beautiful, classy color and I have actually had people stop me to ask what the color is. However, if you are looking for that "bad ass" BMW look, I recommend the carbon black (my last car, which now requires ordering the M package.) I just got very tired or cleaning in. The tasman green seems to be self-cleaning. I now wash it because I want to, not because I have to.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 PM
GONE

Mein Auto: .................
I think it has to do with the different lighting conditions. I think Bmw is trying to show us how tasman green could look, depending on the lighting.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscheflen View Post
The color in the first photo is more accurate. In most lighting conditions, it leans toward the gray side. In bright sunlight, the green is more evident. This is a beautiful, classy color and I have actually had people stop me to ask what the color is. However, if you are looking for that "bad ass" BMW look, I recommend the carbon black (my last car, which now requires ordering the M package.) I just got very tired or cleaning in. The tasman green seems to be self-cleaning. I now wash it because I want to, not because I have to.
I agree. It's kind of a combination of the two. It is more green than the bottom color, but has a little more silver tone than the top color. However, the top color is considerably closer than the bottom.

I agree, too, it is a very classy color, imo. Of course, these particular types of greens are my favorite color, though I'm a big fan of Alpine White.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFTW91 View Post
I think it has to do with the different lighting conditions. I think Bmw is trying to show us how tasman green could look, depending on the lighting.
That's a diplomatic way of looking at it.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 05-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
I've seen two Tasman Green E9X's in person. One was in a showroom (Sandia BMW, Albuquerque) and the other was while waiting on a curb in Hong Kong. In both instances Tasman Green resembled the coupe (pic 2) more than pic one. In fact, the sedan in the showroom almost was a dead ringer for gray. I had to go check the Monroney Sticker to verify its color.

HOWEVER, once again, color is in the eye of the beholder. It really depends on your monitor settings. I have my monitors (yes, 2) color calibrated. That being said, I can see the difference when I go to work and use my non calibrated monitor.

BMW paints are very interesting. Space Gray is essentially neutral gray with no color cast blue or green. It reflects all light equally which is why it is such a chameleon and can look blue or green or brown just depending upon the light source and the environment. Tasman Green is very similar in that it is gray with green metallic flecks.

It is so neutral, I found it interesting that at the Welt, there is a display titled, "What Color is Space Gray?" and the rest of the display is a prism effect reflecting off the glass panels of the Welt.

(fwiw: I've tested as having "perfect" color vision)

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
It looks green or grey depending on the lighting conditions. My 3 in my sig is Tasmin Green.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
It looks green or grey depending on the lighting conditions. My 3 in my sig is Tasmin Green.
Precisely! When I view your sig pic your Tasman Green sedan looks exactly like the E93 I saw in Hong Kong.

I love my Space Gray/Saddle Brown, but I could very easily jump ship to Tasman Green/Saddle Brown. It's a very cool color.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
At the show room I found it to be a pale green/grey. I loved the color online and in the sun but was disappointed by the look in the shade. Still my color choice came down to Tasman Green with Saddle or the Deep Sea Blue with chestnut. I went with the latter but really it had more to do with the fact that my wife liked both the chestnut and the blue more than the other two.

2011 328xi Sedan - DSB / Chestnut / Aluminum / Auto / Value / Premium / Xenon / Sat / Split Rear Seats
M3 Lip Spoiler / LUX V3 / Aluminum Pedals & E-Brake / Interior LED / Xenesis H8 & H3 / LED side markers
Clear Side Reflectors / DSB painted calipers / Cyba black scoops / Tint / Powder black grille & exhaust tips

Future Mods: VMR V710 18x8.5" Gunmetal rims
Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Grand Cherokee
The people who do the renderings for these configurators are idiots. I've yet to see a color (interior, exterior, or trim) that looked ANYTHING like the configurator image.

I haven't seen this color, but I would be deeply surprised if it looked anything like either of those colors.

Current - 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas - British Racing Green
Still Missed - 2008 535i - Platinum Grey / Beige Nasca
Old 05-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsleelee View Post
The people who do the renderings for these configurators are idiots. I've yet to see a color (interior, exterior, or trim) that looked ANYTHING like the configurator image.

I haven't seen this color, but I would be deeply surprised if it looked anything like either of those colors.
Totally agree.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
I've seen two Tasman Green E9X's in person. ... In both instances Tasman Green resembled the coupe (pic 2) more than pic one. ... It really depends on your monitor settings.
Quote:
Quote:
Precisely! When I view your sig pic your Tasman Green sedan looks exactly like the E93 I saw in Hong Kong.
Completely agree. I've seen Tasman Green 3-4 times in person and dunderhi's sig pic captures it pretty well. The coupe rendering isn't too bad but the sedan is rubbish--the true color is nowhere near that saturated. But as Kat said it depends heavily on the monitor: On my laptop the coupe rendering is a bit too gray--not so on my workstation.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 05-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Cinnamon

I would have opted for a saddle brown interior but that color appears not to be available. Did not really care for "cinnamon" and I don't think you could even get it with Tasman green.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:

Real life, 3D-surface colors are actually pretty hard to render on a web page, especially when they have metallic or pearl effects. It gets that much worse when your monitor is not calibrated.

I've seen people post pictures of their own cars online, and people were asking if it was tiag, SG or plat bronze.

Even in real life it's going to depend on the lighting and shade.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRampant View Post
Which is the real Tasman Green Metallic?[/FONT]
I've got a 2010 Tasman Green and it doesn't look like either of those pictures. In person, it's not quite as dark as the top but closer to that shade of green with the metallic look of the bottom picture. I don't know if that really helps any...

I posted some pictures when I bought the car and I think there are pictures in my "garage." It's not an obnoxious green and you don't see too many around. I really love the color.

Good luck.

'11 MDX w/ Tech (hers)

"The good works of my Wayne Foundation require that I stay above the brawl of politics." - Bruce Wayne
Old 05-06-2011, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Grand Cherokee
They should do actual photos, in a studio lighting situation. It wouldn't take THAT long.

Current - 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas - British Racing Green
Still Missed - 2008 535i - Platinum Grey / Beige Nasca
Old 05-06-2011, 02:47 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
They should do actual photos, in a studio lighting situation. It wouldn't take THAT long.
No, of course not There are only 15 variants of the E9x available in the US. With 10 exterior colors, 8 choices of upholstery, 4 choices of trim, with and without M sport that's only 9,600 combinations (subtract a few that aren't available with M sport). That's even before you get into additional wheel choices and additional accessories such as spoilers, lips, etc.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
removed

Last edited by pointandgo; 05-06-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:17 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Sometimes it does look green:
Click image for larger version

Name:	0106801213a.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	277516

Sometimes it looks grey:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	277517

It all depends on the angle and the lighting.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 05-06-2011, 04:29 PM
GONE

Mein Auto: .................
Quote:
Sometimes it does look green:
Attachment 277516

Sometimes it looks grey:
Attachment 277517

It all depends on the angle and the lighting.
Very nice pics!

Tasman green reminds me of Sparkling Graphite Metallic paint in some ways.

When the sun is shining on my 325i, the paint somewhat has a purplish color to it.

When the skies are overcast, it looks dark gray and somewhat makes the car look different.

Ahh, love it, probably my favorite color that Bmw offered on the 3.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:18 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
Real life, 3D-surface colors are actually pretty hard to render on a web page, especially when they have metallic or pearl effects. It gets that much worse when your monitor is not calibrated.

I've seen people post pictures of their own cars online, and people were asking if it was tiag, SG or plat bronze.

Even in real life it's going to depend on the lighting and shade.
True^. I've mistook a photo of chestnut leather in this subforum for the saddle brown, which I own.

I dig the Tasman Green!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:24 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
I've seen two Tasman Green E9X's in person. One was in a showroom (Sandia BMW, Albuquerque) and the other was while waiting on a curb in Hong Kong. In both instances Tasman Green resembled the coupe (pic 2) more than pic one. In fact, the sedan in the showroom almost was a dead ringer for gray. I had to go check the Monroney Sticker to verify its color.

HOWEVER, once again, color is in the eye of the beholder. It really depends on your monitor settings. I have my monitors (yes, 2) color calibrated. That being said, I can see the difference when I go to work and use my non calibrated monitor.

BMW paints are very interesting. Space Gray is essentially neutral gray with no color cast blue or green. It reflects all light equally which is why it is such a chameleon and can look blue or green or brown just depending upon the light source and the environment. Tasman Green is very similar in that it is gray with green metallic flecks.

It is so neutral, I found it interesting that at the Welt, there is a display titled, "What Color is Space Gray?" and the rest of the display is a prism effect reflecting off the glass panels of the Welt.

(fwiw: I've tested as having "perfect" color vision)
Women have better hearing than men, and they also have better color accuracy. None of my monitors have been color calibrated, and I wish I had the mgmt system and a good colorimeter to dial in my projector. I'd like a ColorMunki, or nicer like an i1pro or something.

So not only do uncalibrated displays make it difficult, it is typically greens and reds that are the most out of whack, and if I only had to pick one of those two, it is probably GREEN! My PJ is no exception.

Here is a tough color test. The lower your score the better. I got a 12 on my one try, though if I was a little more patient, maybe I could have done a tad better. Of my friends, one got it perfect, a woman got a 4, and a fellow with a degree in art, classes in color theory, and great expertise with paint got the worst score at 16, which he felt pretty bad about, haha.

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77