Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-07-2008, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 530
Transmission problem

Hi all,

I am driving a 530 2005 model with automatic transmission, 87,000 km on the clock.

Couple months ago a transmission fault singal came out soon after I felt a slip and low bang when shifting gear. The tranny was then in a protection mode and I took it to the dealer (AGMC in Dubai) immediately. I left the car there foe a week; they test drove, confirmed no mechanical faults, adjusted SAS and re-coding the control unit.

Things went well for a few days before I felt the "lurch" every time the car is creeping to a full stop. It's very obvious. Mean time, I also notice, in steptronic mode, when the car is static and I downshift from M2 to M1, the gear box jerks with a bang. After putting up with this annoying thing for weeks, I've decided to bring the car to the dealer, again.

I called the SA today, and this time he told me the problem is in the tranny itself and very likely I would have to replace it. In Dubai, they only offer 2 year warrany which means I have to pay big money to get it replaced. He also told me they have sent a report (a PUMA, maybe?) to Germany and will "advise" me of what to do and how much to pay.....

I have done my search and it seems like many E60 owners have experienced similar trouble. But has anyone actually replace the tranny, at his own cost? Did it really fix the problem?

Any advice?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 PM
2007 550i & X3, 2002 X5

Mein Auto: BMW 550i, X5, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burj530 View Post
Hi all,

I am driving a 530 2005 model with automatic transmission, 87,000 km on the clock.

Couple months ago a transmission fault singal came out soon after I felt a slip and low bang when shifting gear. The tranny was then in a protection mode and I took it to the dealer (AGMC in Dubai) immediately. I left the car there foe a week; they test drove, confirmed no mechanical faults, adjusted SAS and re-coding the control unit.

Things went well for a few days before I felt the "lurch" every time the car is creeping to a full stop. It's very obvious. Mean time, I also notice, in steptronic mode, when the car is static and I downshift from M2 to M1, the gear box jerks with a bang. After putting up with this annoying thing for weeks, I've decided to bring the car to the dealer, again.

I called the SA today, and this time he told me the problem is in the tranny itself and very likely I would have to replace it. In Dubai, they only offer 2 year warrany which means I have to pay big money to get it replaced. He also told me they have sent a report (a PUMA, maybe?) to Germany and will "advise" me of what to do and how much to pay.....

I have done my search and it seems like many E60 owners have experienced similar trouble. But has anyone actually replace the tranny, at his own cost? Did it really fix the problem?

Any advice?

Thanks!
That's not good news at all - the tranny should last much longer than that problem-free. I had the infamous transmission slam problem about a year ago when I had about 10K miles on it. After a week and a half in the shop and PUMA case opened with the engineers, the fix was to re-program the transmission and do a PROGMAN upgrade on my car. I no longer have the jerk/lurch/slam when approaching a stop, but I am not happy with the handling of the car - it seems they dialed-back the torque of the engine a bit to resolve. Anyway, no tranny replacement on my car luckily, but it's not the same beast it once was. Keep us posted on what they recommend and what you decide. I'd advise you to push as hard as you can with the shop foreman to have BMW pay for the entire repair or at lease heavily subsidize the price since the car is still very new.

2007 550i, Sport Premium, Silver Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, HD Radio, Xenon

2007 X3, 3.0si ///M Sport Premium, Monaco Blue, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Xenon

2002 X5, 3.0i Sport Premium, Titanium Silver, Gray Dakota, Cold Weather Package, Xenon, just a winter vehicle
Old 09-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M35
I had a similar issue on my 7er at 85k miles and my transmission was replaced under warranty but the problem kept on coming back thats why I had to let it go, and its really a major problem in the E65/E66, However in the 5 I don't have any thing similar to that and by the time I do it will be time to turn it in. Good luck
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 09-13-2008, 02:51 AM

Well after one week in the workshop, checking, software update and a PUMA case sent to BMW, my SA told me the tranny needs to be replaced. As the local dealer AGMC Dubai only offers 2 year unlimited milage warranty, my car is no longer under any warranty. However BMW approved a "good wills" replacement as the car is under a service contract and the mileage is reasonabley low (87,000 KM). Still I have to pay all labor coat and 50% part.

The question is, is it worhty to replace the tranny? Will this really kill the jerky 2-1 gear downshift?

Any advise, please?
Old 09-17-2008, 04:20 AM
Former Supporting member

Mein Auto: Displayed below
I think this jerking is due to mechanical parts in the tranny, aside to issues in the control module, so since they are changing the mechanical part, and hopefully the control module (if effected), it should be fine. they are supposed to offer you a limited warranty on the changed parts for 6 months/10K if I'm not mistaken

all in all, It should fix the problem permanently

'07 650i Stratus Grey/Cream beige | HAMANN Progressive Sport Suspension | OEM stainless steel pedals | Black floor mats | BBS RXII 21" wheels | Sprint Boosted | OEM Reversing Camera | SolarGard Sterling 60 Tint |
Chip Tuned by ChipCentric | M6 Brakes | H&R Sways
Old 09-17-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus650 View Post
I think this jerking is due to mechanical parts in the tranny, aside to issues in the control module, so since they are changing the mechanical part, and hopefully the control module (if effected), it should be fine. they are supposed to offer you a limited warranty on the changed parts for 6 months/10K if I'm not mistaken

all in all, It should fix the problem permanently
Thanks for your infor.
The "lurch" issue has been widely discussed and there is even a website on this subject.
After few days and 400 km after taking the car back, I can conclude that the lurch is still there but is less noticeable. Gear shifting has never been a problem.

There is one way to eliminate the lurch, use steptronic. When bring the car to stop, down**** to M2 and there will be no lurch.

Anyway, I am still evlauating if it is worthy to replace the tranmssion. As I have found in some cases if a new tranny is fiwed, the lurch still keeps coming back!!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 04 530i
Did you replace tranny?

Hey Burj. I was wondering if you ever replaced the tranny? I have the same issue now and have to decide whether to replace it or not?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Hi all,
Have not come here for a long while. I have been busy with my classic Saab 900 and have spent a lot of time in the related forum.

Yes I did replcae the tranny earlier this year after sendingthe car back to the dealer when receiving the "transmission fault" message. The dealer reprogramed twice; I have also tried the "step on for 30 seconds" trick but no success. The Dubai dealer told me the only fix is to replace the tranny, and they are willing to pay 70% for the trany (part only). I have to pay the 30% part and labor cost.

I have to say the new tranny was "perfect" only for few thousand KM. I believe that some other members have same experience. Well the lurch is for sure gone but the "ghost" does not disappear. Maybe I am picky but 10,000 km after the new tranny, I am still not satisfied with the tranny.

I have never got any "transmission fault" code after gettign the tranny replaced. One thing for sure and maybe you can try it; stop your car with the engine running, shift from D to M2 and from M2 to M1, there should be no noise, no jerk from the tranny. My old tranny jerks everytime I did so the new one never response like that.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: 04 530i
Unhappy Thanks

Hey Burj, thanks for the info. That sucks, I was hoping that once I get it fixed it'll be smooth sailing. I have a loaner 328 and that thing shifts smoothly with no hesitation or slam at all. That's what I am hoping to get...oh well, we'll see.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545
I just got a new trans in my 545 last week, had similar issues as you did, except mine is covered under the factory warranty. My car has only 35000 KM (22,000 mi). Previously, I had to get a new trans on my 528, at 60000 km, got 1/3 paid by BMW on goodwill warranty. I don't have a lot of faith in BMW auto trannies, ther are issues with th enew one: lurchng starts, slow to downshift into 1st gear when slwowing down to a stop, slow to engage D or R, the sport mode has inconsistent shift behavior. I'll be sortinh this out next service.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i 2004
Dear Burj,
I am using my 530i since 2004 and I have felt the same in my gearbox since i bought it, I went to the dealer in Jeddah and they told me no error was found, after about 3 yrs of usage I started feeling weakness on reverse gear and after a while my car didn't drive at all on reverse moreover, after a while I got an error message on my screen (Transmitting Fault) when I was accelerating maybe on gear #2 so I sent my car to the dealer and I got the same as ur reply and i did it on BMW good will and I paid for labor

after about 2.5 years of using the car with the new gearbox until today I face the same problem of gear box jerk when transmitting from M2 to M1 and a slip when shifting from gear # 4 to gear # 5 (rpm jumps from 3.5 rpm to 4.5) so I slow down to get a normal shift.

However, I'm afraid to face the same problem now so I'm going to sell my car before I get into it.