Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 PM
**** - 2001 BMW 330i

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i
Question OPINION/HELP: Upgrade from halogens to HIDs

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and i am in the process of upgrading my halogen headlights to some HIDs (6000k) along with putting in angel eyes and new fog lights (6000k)... im not to familiar with the name brands and vendors out there.

Ive done a little bit of research and this what i have my sights on....

HID Temp: 6000k
Bulbs: Apexcone 55W or 35W OR Predator Xenix
Projector Housing: DEPO from EAS OR Projector46
Angel Eyes: Aurora from EAS
Fog Lights: ?????

I know that i want to stick with the 6000k and the Aurora angel eyes, but im not to sure about the DEPO projector housing, and there doesnt seem to be alot of information about upgrading fog lights to HIDs online (or maybe im not looking hard enough).

Are there better types of projector housings out there? i know umnitza has the Projector46 housing but, according to their website, they only have it in a black housing for the 2001 E46. I like the way my current silver housing looks on my car, im not too sure how a black housing would look on a black car.

If you guys have any feedback or opinions on what i have planned, please reply. Im open to whatever you guys have to say.

Thanks!

2001 BMW 330i
Ads by Google
Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 AM
• www.umnitza.com •

Mein Auto: ///M
Give us a call. the Black housing is standard but you can a) always paint the inner trim b) ask us about the chrome lining we have as well (seen in our animated gif on the site). c) stay with black and see if it grows on you.

BTW - the highest specific output is the Orion V2 inside the Projector46s:

Call US! 877 486 6489
Available: 9am-5pm M-F
Old 09-18-2008, 11:27 AM
• www.umnitza.com •

Quote:
Originally Posted by LmntSouL View Post
Are there better types of projector housings out there? i know umnitza has the Projector46 housing but, according to their website, they only have it in a black housing for the 2001 E46. I like the way my current silver housing looks on my car, im not too sure how a black housing would look on a black car.

If you guys have any feedback or opinions on what i have planned, please reply. Im open to whatever you guys have to say.

Thanks!
sorry D) = reuse your inner silver trim.

Call US! 877 486 6489
Old 09-18-2008, 12:21 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Do yourself a favor and call nick@jlevisw.com. They have all the stuff you need and way better service than any other company. I have dealt with Umnitza and wouldn't recommend it. The aurora's are great and give off plenty of light, and Jlevisw.com has an LED angel eye that is good too. Nick also has fog light specific kits, projector options galore, and again, the best service to date. PM me if you want/need details or just go to www.jlevisw.com and ask for nick.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 09-18-2008, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 stahlgrau e46 328Ci
To the OP: Based on your location being San Jose, I second JLevi - they are in Santa Clara - if you give them a call and talk to them they might invite you over and could show you some of the choices in person and look your car over with you.

Umnitza is up in Concord - a bit of a drive from the South Bay. Not so far as to make it impossible - but with the good reputation JLevi has with projectors, angel eyes, etc. no reason to leave town right?
Old 09-18-2008, 01:31 PM
• www.umnitza.com •

We also do the work while the customer is here

Call US! 877 486 6489
Old 09-18-2008, 04:12 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
We also do the work while the customer is here

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 09-18-2008, 10:15 PM
**** - 2001 BMW 330i

Quote:
Give us a call. the Black housing is standard but you can a) always paint the inner trim b) ask us about the chrome lining we have as well (seen in our animated gif on the site). c) stay with black and see if it grows on you.

BTW - the highest specific output is the Orion V2 inside the Projector46s:
Is there a way that i can reuse my current housing (to keep the silver trim) and put projectors onto them? im pretty new at this so i dont actually know how the headlight housing looks/works... my last car was a '87 corrola (which had the flip up headlights).

Ive seen some DIY headlight upgrades, and it seems like you can remove the from plastic shield and that the housing of where the bulbs actually are stay intact on the car. So if i were to get projectors, then how does that work? do you remove whatever housing that is intact on the car and replace it with the projector housing?

about part c).... ive seen alot of bimmers w/ black housing headlights, but are on every car but black bimmers... im not used to having a black housing, with a black car.... it would sound like a good idea if i wanted to make the entire car black... (black kidney grills, smoked tail lights, the whole nine)... but i like the silver trim around the windows.... and my rims match that (black painted rims / polished lip)... so id like to keep that theme going...

2001 BMW 330i
Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 PM
• www.umnitza.com •

Quote:
Is there a way that i can reuse my current housing (to keep the silver trim) and put projectors onto them? im pretty new at this so i dont actually know how the headlight housing looks/works... my last car was a '87 corrola (which had the flip up headlights).

I remember those cars, loads of fun to throw in corners. It's harder to retrofit projectors into your housing, and it's not worth the time/effort to do it.

Ive seen some DIY headlight upgrades, and it seems like you can remove the from plastic shield and that the housing of where the bulbs actually are stay intact on the car. So if i were to get projectors, then how does that work? do you remove whatever housing that is intact on the car and replace it with the projector housing?

You can buy projectors, and attempt the retrofit into your housings. But the time and effort and ultimately the expense isn't worth it.

about part c).... ive seen alot of bimmers w/ black housing headlights, but are on every car but black bimmers... im not used to having a black housing, with a black car.... it would sound like a good idea if i wanted to make the entire car black... (black kidney grills, smoked tail lights, the whole nine)... but i like the silver trim around the windows.... and my rims match that (black painted rims / polished lip)... so id like to keep that theme going...
Right, so you can use your trim and put it into new lights.

Call US! 877 486 6489
Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 PM
**** - 2001 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Do yourself a favor and call nick@jlevisw.com. They have all the stuff you need and way better service than any other company. I have dealt with Umnitza and wouldn't recommend it. The aurora's are great and give off plenty of light, and Jlevisw.com has an LED angel eye that is good too. Nick also has fog light specific kits, projector options galore, and again, the best service to date. PM me if you want/need details or just go to www.jlevisw.com and ask for nick.
hey smlock, im happy you check out my thread... i was hoping you would put in your two cents. you always seem to have some really great input on a lot of different topics.

is it true that about the "BTW - the highest specific output is the Orion V2 inside the Projector46s:"??? the only reason why i was leaning more towards the the aurora's was because they claim to have the "brightest angel eyes on the market"... but umnitza says the same for the orions... so i dont know who to believe anymore... can you help me with this?

also... about jlevisw... are these the angel eyes that you were talking about... and if so... have you heard anything about them.... or what do you think of em?
http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/BMW-...skhna1dob6grs0

smlock... about the projectors from jlevisw... ive been to their website and all ive seen about the projectors are here:
http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/BMW-...duct_info.html
on this^ page, they say that only the predator chromium is availibe with these housings... but i want angel eyes that have at least 60LEDs.... i dont like the broken "pearl necklace" look...

2001 BMW 330i
Old 09-18-2008, 10:36 PM
• www.umnitza.com •

Some people are biased. I make no bones about it being my bias. I'm a vendor. I have to be
However, I also promised the owners of this site to avoid any direct comparisons on their site.

however, if you want check your email for a link to the comparison.

Call US! 877 486 6489
Old 09-18-2008, 10:38 PM
**** - 2001 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLLK View Post
To the OP: Based on your location being San Jose, I second JLevi - they are in Santa Clara - if you give them a call and talk to them they might invite you over and could show you some of the choices in person and look your car over with you.

Umnitza is up in Concord - a bit of a drive from the South Bay. Not so far as to make it impossible - but with the good reputation JLevi has with projectors, angel eyes, etc. no reason to leave town right?
Where are they located in Santa Clara? i would love to personally see how everything is put together... thanks for the input!

2001 BMW 330i
Old 09-18-2008, 10:49 PM
**** - 2001 BMW 330i

Quote:
Right, so you can use your trim and put it into new lights.
i would like to keep my silver trim... or at least buy some projector housings to have the silver trim included... no extra painting or work on my part..... =/....

about the chrome trim... looks a little too "flashy" on there... whenever i hear chrome... i think of ugly chrome rims that ruin bmws...

2001 BMW 330i
Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 PM
**** - 2001 BMW 330i

UPDATE: i think i might have found the HID kit that i want... APEXCONE 35W/55W... these are available on two website...
EAS - 35W @ $179 or 55W @ $225
DDM Tuning - 35W @ $49.95 or 55W @ $75.95
and they both have free lifetime warrenties...

they seem like they are the EXACT same thing, but something in the back of my mind tells me that something HAS to be different. There's just such a difference in price, i dont see why that is... any thoughts or opinions?

2001 BMW 330i
Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 PM
• www.umnitza.com •

What you are looking at is just an HID kit, you'll need to make it adapt to your lights and just putting an HID kit into the lights is not going to give you very good output or directional pattern.

Call US! 877 486 6489
Old 09-18-2008, 11:07 PM
**** - 2001 BMW 330i

Quote:
What you are looking at is just an HID kit, you'll need to make it adapt to your lights and just putting an HID kit into the lights is not going to give you very good output or directional pattern.
oh yeah... i understand that i need projectors to get the most out of the HIDs... from what ive seen so far that i can fit any HID kit with any projector housing... (am i right about this?) if im wrong about it... what does umnitza have for their HID kits? also... can you match their price of less than $80 for 55W?

the apexcone have two different wattages.... 35W and 55W... correct me if i am wrong but, i can only assume that the 55W is brighter, therefore gives off more light?

also... does anyone know where bavtoys is located? do they have a store that i can visit?

2001 BMW 330i

Last edited by LmntSouL; 09-18-2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: bavtoys location question....
Old 09-18-2008, 11:21 PM
• www.umnitza.com •

www.bavtoys.com has a good quality kit for $55 right now - you can visit them and email them.

There is a lot of information out there, sometimes it's best to visit a shop to see it all for yourself, without buying anything.

I realize our shop is a long trip for you, but it might be worth it for you - we make all the headlights in house AND we install them

Call US! 877 486 6489
Old 09-18-2008, 11:32 PM
**** - 2001 BMW 330i

Quote:
www.bavtoys.com has a good quality kit for $55 right now - you can visit them and email them.

There is a lot of information out there, sometimes it's best to visit a shop to see it all for yourself, without buying anything.

I realize our shop is a long trip for you, but it might be worth it for you - we make all the headlights in house AND we install them
ive just visited bavtoys.com... i was looking for the $55 HID kit... but couldnt find it... they look like they have some pretty good kits on this website as well... there are so many types of HID kits... is there even much of a difference between on kit and another??

maybe the only difference between them would be their brightness...
im still wondering what the difference is between the 35W and the 55W HID kits.... brightness? color?

2001 BMW 330i
Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 PM
• www.umnitza.com •

Contact them, I know they have one, I just can't find it on the site, but I remember seeing it just today.

Call US! 877 486 6489
Old 09-19-2008, 03:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
If you want the best in hids themselves I suggest http://www.retro-solutions.com/

I wouldn't take free hids from anyone else over paying retro for theirs if that gives you any idea.

Now as for the housings, I have no preference and would probably buy from the ones listed in this thread in a heartbeat. But for the hids themselves its retro's hids or nothing for me.

I haven't done hids in my bmw yet but I have them in my 2002 F250 superduty diesel and love them. True bi-xenon hids for $183 with digital ballast, 55watt light output and a lifetime warranty. Afraid there isn't anyone else that can touch them with a ten foot pole. Oh and support before, during and after the sale. Plus free shipping.

Last edited by crowz; 09-19-2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: spelling :)
Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 PM
**** - 2001 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
If you want the best in hids themselves I suggest http://www.retro-solutions.com/

I wouldn't take free hids from anyone else over paying retro for theirs if that gives you any idea.

Now as for the housings, I have no preference and would probably buy from the ones listed in this thread in a heartbeat. But for the hids themselves its retro's hids or nothing for me.

I haven't done hids in my bmw yet but I have them in my 2002 F250 superduty diesel and love them. True bi-xenon hids for $183 with digital ballast, 55watt light output and a lifetime warranty. Afraid there isn't anyone else that can touch them with a ten foot pole. Oh and support before, during and after the sale. Plus free shipping.
thanks for your input crowe... i havent heard of these guys before... there some really nice pictures on their website... do you know where these guys are located at? Northern California hopefully?

i like your input... but i feel that if i consider these guys.... ill never make up my mind... but we'll see...
right now... im torn between:
jlevisw
umnitza
EAS
DDM tuning (strictly for their $75 55W Apexcone HID kit)

can any HID kit work with any projector housing? i ask this question because ive heard that if you get a certain type of projector housing, then there are only a certain angel eye kits that will work with it....

2001 BMW 330i

Last edited by LmntSouL; 09-20-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
The hid kit and the angel eye stuff isnt the same thing. All you need to know is what bulb socket the headlight housing your going to get is and the retro bunch will tell you what hid kit you need for it.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:01 AM
• www.umnitza.com •

Quote:
thanks for your input crowe... i havent heard of these guys before... there some really nice pictures on their website... do you know where these guys are located at? Northern California hopefully?

umnitza

can any HID kit work with any projector housing? i ask this question because ive heard that if you get a certain type of projector housing, then there are only a certain angel eye kits that will work with it....
We're open today

Call US! 877 486 6489
Old 09-24-2008, 11:07 PM
**** - 2001 BMW 330i

i feel that the auroras do look brighter, but they're really expensive... especially if you look at the projector housings that each of them are available for.

EAS - DEPO projector housings w/ auroras angel eyes - $579
Umnitza - Projector46 housing w/ orion V2 angel eyes - $408

ive also contacted JleviSW about theyre equivalent - the MyCarr 62LED angel eyes...
i feel that they are up there with the auroras but when i spoke with both kenny and nick from jlevisw, and they said that these angel eyes would only fit on OEM HID projector housings...
as i mentioned earlier, i only want new items... therefore that might have to rule those out...

Nick wasnt 100% sure if these angel eyes would fit on the Projector46s and there is no way know for sure without having to order the housings through them, then and only then will they see if the MyCarr 62 LED angel eyes will work with the Projector46 housings....

i dont want to get stuck with the Projector46s if the MyCarr angel eyes dont work with it... b/c then i still have to purchase he angel eye kit from another vendor...

2001 BMW 330i

Last edited by LmntSouL; 09-24-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: cant spell... bad grammer
Old 09-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Auto-X Junkie

Mein Auto: E86M
Quote:
i feel that the auroras do look brighter, but they're really expensive... especially if you look at the projector housings that each of them are available for.

EAS - DEPO projector housings w/ auroras angel eyes - $579
Umnitza - Projector46 housing w/ orion V2 angel eyes - $408

ive also contacted JleviSW about theyre equivalent - the MyCarr 62LED angel eyes...
i feel that they are up there with the auroras but when i spoke with both kenny and nick from jlevisw, and they said that these angel eyes would only fit on OEM HID projector housings...
as i mentioned earlier, i only want new items... therefore that might have to rule those out...

Nick wasnt 100% sure if these angel eyes would fit on the Projector46s and there is no way know for sure without having to order the housings through them, then and only then will they see if the MyCarr 62 LED angel eyes will work with the Projector46 housings....

i dont want to get stuck with the Projector46s if the MyCarr angel eyes dont work with it... b/c then i still have to purchase he angel eye kit from another vendor...
From what I've heard, the Orion angel eyes are actually brighter, because of the design of the ring......

Also, the Aurora AE's seem to have problems with their clips breaking......

I've seen the Orion clips, I don't think they can be broken without a pair of snips or a dremel….I'll call Umnitza to confirm but I'm pretty sure that's true......

I have P46s with just standard CCFL AE's in my headlights. The fitment and quality is great, and after surviving a -5 to -15*F winter, these headlights are made to last........

Just PM me if you have any further questions. I'll be glad to take pictures

Last edited by Kgolf31; 09-25-2008 at 05:32 PM.