Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-18-2008, 10:35 AM
skiesforme skiesforme is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L
First post :) Trade in 2008 Accord for a MY2009 335i Coupe

Hi All,

I am a newbie here and this is my first post
So, here's how all this got started. I bougt myself a 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L in January 2008 and have been more or less happy with it. Nice looking car with decent power and good mileage. I mean its definitely a good first car !
One day my friend who has a pre-owned 2004 325i calls me and tells me he has a Z4 coupe given to him as a loaner by his dealership. Dang.. I took it out for a spin.. Sports mode.. and I felt this adrenalin rush.. I was all pumped up
The next day I went to the dealership with him and had a look at the cars. On the following weekend I went there with my gf and test drove a 08 335i Coupe and had a feel of the convertible as well.

Since that day, I spend hours after hours on the configurator and invoice sheet planning out my next car - a MY2009 335i Coupe Or a Pre-owned 07/08 335i convertible (my gf is hell bent on a vert). I am very fond of hi-tech gadgetry so the new iDrive is a must-want for me although it also makes complete sense to get a pre-owned car with iDrive. So, I am in a dilemma and it would probably be solved once I cross the biggest hurdle !

Sell my 2008 Accord => http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/840369144.html
I went to carmax - they offered me $20,500 as wholesale price and were surprised I am selling this car since its brand new. No responses from craigslist yet

I have not even talked about a trade-in to the dealership since that might be a mistake to mention right away. I would probably be able to negotiate invoice+$1000 (dealer has agreed on invoice+1500 as of now) on the new car.

What should I do ? .. there are so many things going on in my head... Coupe/Convertible.. New/CPO ... but all that would be easy if I could get rid of my Accord for a acceptable price..

Long post but I really need some good advice from you guys !
Thanks much !
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:38 AM
BradF BradF is offline
Registered User
Location: Oregon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: X5, 328i
Prepare to get spanked.

Maybe you can trade the Honda at a BMW dealer while trying to negotiate a helluva buy on a 2008 335 with the 0.9% financing deal.

I think it's going to be tough getting $26k for the Honda, and it might take you a while.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Gig103's Avatar
Gig103 Gig103 is offline
Not a Bimmer driver anymo
Location: Gilbert, AZ
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,716
Mein Auto: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Oh man, i know the feeling; Back in 2005 I traded in a Passat after one year for the current Audi platform (which i got rid of for the 335xi).
Because it's a Honda, you'll find a buyer privately and not lose too much money, but you'll lose something. I wouldn't even consider trade-in or carmax, etc... Be patient with the Honda, the 335i's aren't going anywhere
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:47 AM
skiesforme skiesforme is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L
At carmax, I was told such "almost new" cars go on a wholesale price. Then they are sold off in dealer auctions. They said the dealers/trade-in would be lower than what they are offering and I think that might be the case.

Should I try the Honda dealership where I bought the car ? They sell 2007 Honda Accord CPO's with 20k+ miles for over $20,000. I'm also wondering if the year end might be a good time to go to the BMW dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Oh man, i know the feeling; Back in 2005 I traded in a Passat after one year for the current Audi platform (which i got rid of for the 335xi).
Because it's a Honda, you'll find a buyer privately and not lose too much money, but you'll lose something. I wouldn't even consider trade-in or carmax, etc... Be patient with the Honda, the 335i's aren't going anywhere
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-18-2008, 01:06 PM
wrh3 wrh3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ATL, GA
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 280
Send a message via Yahoo to wrh3
Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2008 M3
CarMax typically does pay more than you will get on trade but your best bet is to hold out for a private sale.
__________________

Bill
Bill
2011 Lotus Elise R, 2010 Porsche Boxster S, 2005 Mini Cooper S
BMW CCA Member # 389948
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
alejotrujillo alejotrujillo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South America
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 234
Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesforme View Post
... a MY2009 335i Coupe Or a Pre-owned 07/08 335i convertible (my gf is hell bent on a vert)...
Whatever you end up getting, get what YOU want. Who cares what your girlfriend wants.

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-18-2008, 04:14 PM
skiesforme skiesforme is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejotrujillo View Post
Whatever you end up getting, get what YOU want. Who cares what your girlfriend wants.

Good luck
It's good that my gf is not to keen about this forum to have a look at your post.
I just got a trade-in quote of $20,000 from infiniti. Although I am nowhere close to considering an Infiniti, it was good to know what I might get from a dealer. They quoted this based on my craigslist ad and have not seen the car. Do you guys think I can push the BMW dealer for a better trade in or threaten to walk off ?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-18-2008, 04:24 PM
paximperium's Avatar
paximperium paximperium is offline
Nerd
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,149
Mein Auto: 2008 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesforme View Post
It's good that my gf is not to keen about this forum to have a look at your post.
I just got a trade-in quote of $20,000 from infiniti. Although I am nowhere close to considering an Infiniti, it was good to know what I might get from a dealer. They quoted this based on my craigslist ad and have not seen the car. Do you guys think I can push the BMW dealer for a better trade in or threaten to walk off ?
BMWs dealers do not regularly deal with Hondas so having them take a trade in is often a chore for them since they are not as experienced dealing with the cars and have to re-auction it to other dealers who deal with Hondas etc.

If you can, just sell it and deal with the BMW dealership as is. I took my old Matrix in to BMW and they were about 10% below what a used car dealer was offering and almost 20% below what a Toyota dealer offered and what I sold it for. The Toyota dealer gave me that offer because he had a demand for that specific Matrix model and features. I sold it for around KBB value which was over 60% value of the car over 6 years.

You take a massive loss as soon as you drive the car of the lot. You may recoup an amount as you drive but it is always a loss. It all depends on how much of a loss are you willing to take.
__________________
2008 E92 335i
OEM: Titanium Silver/Black Leather/Dark Burl Walnut Trim/Steptronic/Paddle Shifters/Nav/Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
Performance Mods: BMW Performance Exhaust/BMW Performance Power Kit
Internal:M3 Tri-stitched Steering wheel/OEM Aluminum Pedal and Footrest
External: Black Matte Grills/MSport Front Bumper with sidemarker delete/OEM Aero Rear Bumper/OEM Aero Spoiler/LuxH8 LED Angel Eyes V3
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-18-2008, 04:31 PM
skiesforme skiesforme is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by paximperium View Post
BMWs dealers do not regularly deal with Hondas so having them take a trade in is often a chore for them since they are not as experienced dealing with the cars and have to re-auction it to other dealers who deal with Hondas etc.

If you can, just sell it and deal with the BMW dealership as is. I took my old Matrix in to BMW and they were about 10% below what a used car dealer was offering and almost 20% below what a Toyota dealer offered and what I sold it for. The Toyota dealer gave me that offer because he had a demand for that specific Matrix model and features. I sold it for around KBB value which was over 60% value of the car over 6 years.

You take a massive loss as soon as you drive the car of the lot. You may recoup an amount as you drive but it is always a loss. It all depends on how much of a loss are you willing to take.
That makes a lot of sense. I recall that the BMW dealer indirectly stating a trade-in loss of 30% in the first year on any car. The Infiniti guy said this trade-in value that he offered ($20,000) would not change much in the next 6 months or so. In that case, I'd rather drive the Accord to my heart's fullest content and parellely save up a lumpsum for the Bimmer. I have used the Accord very very lightly till date, about 500 miles a month !!
I don't think anything below $24,000 is even worth considering.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-18-2008, 05:50 PM
seanl seanl is offline
Manual Transmissions Rule
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 157
Mein Auto: '08 E90 335i 6-speed
Why are you so committed to 'trading in' your 8 month old car? Dealers will not give you anything above pure wholesale, and probably less so they can then run the car through a Manheim Auction and make a grand or two. Your only viable option is private party sale. Craig's List is a good start--I've sold 3-4 cars on CL over the past 10 years. You may want to cough up the dough for Auto Trader as well.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
skiesforme skiesforme is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L
How much would you pay for this car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanl View Post
Why are you so committed to 'trading in' your 8 month old car? Dealers will not give you anything above pure wholesale, and probably less so they can then run the car through a Manheim Auction and make a grand or two. Your only viable option is private party sale. Craig's List is a good start--I've sold 3-4 cars on CL over the past 10 years. You may want to cough up the dough for Auto Trader as well.

Good Luck.
I agree with you. I'll put up an Ad on Autotrader. Now let me pose this question to all of you. What would be a price that can attract some interest towards this car. The problem is that I'm asking for $25900 considering all factors/accessories/low mileage listed in this Ad => http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/840369144.html
Now the common mentality is "Ohh if I am paying 25k for this car, why not get a new one " What people don't understand is when they add accessories plus sales tax, reg and dealer fees they would end up paying a lot more than the psychologically pleasing $25k figure !! .
It would be great if you guys could take a minute to have a look at my car and tell me what would you have paid for this car. I know many of you won't even consider a Honda but then it would help me a great deal. I have searched the internet a lot to look at used car prices for the 08 Accord but as expected there are not many around considering that its a new model. Even kbb or edmunds doesn't have any listing for this car yet...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Calif65GM's Avatar
Calif65GM Calif65GM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,072
Mein Auto: E93-35 May08 ED
Wow are you sure about the gas mileage?

That's not much better than my 335 Cab combined (23.5).

I'd would think the city mpg of 22 is off somewhat. Maybe because you haven't driven it much long distance.
__________________
E93-35 ED 5/2/08 completed 16:20.
Montego/Jade Gray, Gray Poplar trim, Step w/Paddles, PP, SP, CA, Heated Seats & iPod. 24-mth lease with 19,250 mi/yr. Re-delivery 6/20/08 (1st day of summer); 7-wks total.
[/SIZE]

De-badged 330xi/Mystic Blue/Gray Leather/Alumin. trim/Auto/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seat/alarm. ED date 11/14/05 and redelivery completed 1/14/06. Sold to Carmax 6/7/08 w/ 50,650 miles on the clock
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-18-2008, 07:44 PM
skiesforme skiesforme is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif65GM View Post
Wow are you sure about the gas mileage?

That's not much better than my 335 Cab combined (23.5).

I'd would think the city mpg of 22 is off somewhat. Maybe because you haven't driven it much long distance.
It's a huge 3100 lb car with a 4 cylinder. So 22 in stop-n-go is kinda ok, isn't it ?
I'm glad to know that my next car would be giving me 23.5 mpg
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-18-2008, 07:44 PM
stressdoc stressdoc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Missouri
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 825
Mein Auto: 1600 2002tii 323/ E90 335
I would sell the Honda to a private party. Get the 335 coupe via EuroDelivery, you will save enough $ to take your gf with you to Euro and have the absolute best f$%ing time of your lives. The updated i-drive is way better, so don't get a 2008. And if performance matters, don't get the 'vert.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
zekeman1 zekeman1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 41
Mein Auto: 335XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesforme View Post
I agree with you. I'll put up an Ad on Autotrader. Now let me pose this question to all of you. What would be a price that can attract some interest towards this car. The problem is that I'm asking for $25900 considering all factors/accessories/low mileage listed in this Ad => http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/840369144.html
Now the common mentality is "Ohh if I am paying 25k for this car, why not get a new one " What people don't understand is when they add accessories plus sales tax, reg and dealer fees they would end up paying a lot more than the psychologically pleasing $25k figure !! .
It would be great if you guys could take a minute to have a look at my car and tell me what would you have paid for this car. I know many of you won't even consider a Honda but then it would help me a great deal. I have searched the internet a lot to look at used car prices for the 08 Accord but as expected there are not many around considering that its a new model. Even kbb or edmunds doesn't have any listing for this car yet...
Post better pictures - these are too dark and don't give the viewer enough detail. ( I'm one of those who would rather pay a bit more and get a brand new car.)
Z
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2008, 07:48 PM
skiesforme skiesforme is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I would sell the Honda to a private party. Get the 335 coupe via EuroDelivery, you will save enough $ to take your gf with you to Euro and have the absolute best f$%ing time of your lives. The updated i-drive is way better, so don't get a 2008. And if performance matters, don't get the 'vert.
I read a lot about ED ! It sounds like great fun. But for that I would need to wait till October 09 for some reasons beyond my control. How much cost difference would it make, apart from the fantabulous time in EU ?
Edit: I followed your signature to your awesome ED post. Getting to know all of it. Thanks for sharing !!

Last edited by skiesforme; 09-18-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 PM
skiesforme skiesforme is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeman1 View Post
Post better pictures - these are too dark and don't give the viewer enough detail. ( I'm one of those who would rather pay a bit more and get a brand new car.)
Z
That's a valid point. I will link a picasa gallery in addition to better snaps. Ok, as for the price and your thought that you'll get a new car instead - how much should be the price to make you consider this instead of a new car. That's what I am trying to find out.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Craigito Craigito is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Murrieta, CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 377
Mein Auto: 07' E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesforme View Post
I read a lot about ED ! It sounds like great fun. But for that I would need to wait till October 09 for some reasons beyond my control. How much cost difference would it make, apart from the fantabulous time in EU ?
Edit: I followed your signature to your awesome ED post. Getting to know all of it. Thanks for sharing !!
Significant savings...You should be able to get 500 over ED invoice too. I'd say the savings is about 5k-6k then subtract out the cost to travel. How much you save depends on the trip, if you go and come back same day or next day you'll save a big chunk. The longer you stay, the less you save of course.

Check out the ED forum....it's the best! The only negative is the 3 month wait from order plus 2 month wait on shipment.
__________________
NO. 1 CHOICE OF ILLEGAL ALIENS 335I Coupe / Space / Black Dakota / Gray Poplar / ZSP / ZPP / Step / Paddles / Nav / Hot Seats / IPOD

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226259 (Stolen Car Thread ) http://craigsbmw-eurodelivery.blogspot.com (ED Trip)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-18-2008, 09:24 PM
seanl seanl is offline
Manual Transmissions Rule
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 157
Mein Auto: '08 E90 335i 6-speed
I don't know what your car is worth, you'll have to do that research and price it accordingly. It's a buyer's market, so don't expect KBB or Edmunds "Private Party". Write your ad to describe the car, it's history, and why your are selling so soon. I sold a 9 month old 9K mile mint condition 2005 G35 Coupe (loaded) on Craig's List in about 2 weeks (July 2006). Sticker was $39,500, I paid $35K, and it sold for $29K. I lost 6K plus the sales tax/tint/clearbra, so it cost me around $9K to own that car. But I really wanted a 2007 STI Limited Edition and I bit the bullet. Other cars were priced in the mid to low 30s, which was unrealistic.

You need to price your car correctly for the market....then market it!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 PM
skiesforme skiesforme is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeman1 View Post
Post better pictures - these are too dark and don't give the viewer enough detail. ( I'm one of those who would rather pay a bit more and get a brand new car.)
Z
I have updated the Ad with better snaps and reduced price => http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/840369144.html
Please let me know if you guys think this might work out better

Last edited by skiesforme; 09-18-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-19-2008, 12:40 AM
NeTWorKz NeTWorKz is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: BMW
the new pictures look hot! haha
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-19-2008, 01:03 AM
skiesforme skiesforme is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 59
Mein Auto: 2008 Accord Coupe EX-L
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeTWorKz View Post
the new pictures look hot! haha
Hahaha.. Thanks a lot !
I must say I like the design almost as much as the 335i.
Just that I have loved it for as much time as it deserved. And I have fallen for the twin-turbo beast !
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-19-2008, 05:35 AM
328skidpad's Avatar
328skidpad 328skidpad is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: pittsburgh,pa
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 51
Mein Auto: 08 335 cp 03 honda accord
From experience

As a accord owner, odyssey and 335 owner I must say that the accord is an excellent car that just lags in handling and speed compared to the 335 but definitely not worth taking a 10K plus hit on trade in.

3 years ago when I was waiting for the 335 I stiffened my suspension and put larger wheels on my accord which made the car much closer to the driving dynamics of my present 335 coupe with sports suspension.

Recommendation
do some mods on the accord and you will be surprised how well the car can drive and is built.

OR

Also remember that 4 cylinder accords are a hot product in the market right now due to gas prices, so I would also post the car on autotrader because when the market settles there will be a buyer.
Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 AM
MikeW MikeW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 483
Mein Auto: 03 GTI VR6
Skies,

I hate to say this, but there's no way of doing this deal without taking a prohibitively large bath, moneywise. Live with the Honda for a few years, then try and get rid of it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Gig103's Avatar
Gig103 Gig103 is offline
Not a Bimmer driver anymo
Location: Gilbert, AZ
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,716
Mein Auto: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesforme View Post
I read a lot about ED ! It sounds like great fun. But for that I would need to wait till October 09 for some reasons beyond my control. How much cost difference would it make, apart from the fantabulous time in EU ?
Edit: I followed your signature to your awesome ED post. Getting to know all of it. Thanks for sharing !!
Personally, I think you should keep driving the Honda until next year, and do the Euro Delivery next fall. Besides the cost savings, and getting to see Europe, you might do better with the Honda sale
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
335i, accord, trade


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms