Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Unhappy 04 745i - White smoke and water from the left tailpipe

I have a 2004 745I with 122,000 miles. Over the last two weeks I've noticed a puff of what seemed to be white smoke coming from the tailpipe of my 7. Upon further investigation and with help from my son on the gas paddle, I discovered it was actually white smoke with water coming from the driver side muffler. I know what the possibilities are but I want to know if any of you guys have had this same problem. My 7 (E65) has been used primarily for work and pleasure. Over the last year alone I've up rack up over 28,000 miles. I recently changed all four O2 sensors bringing the routing maintenance up to date. Thanks in advance...
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Porsche Ex-Pat

Send a message via AIM to Call Me Daddy
Mein Auto: 2003 745i Blk/Blk Sport
are you sure it is white smoke? White smoke indicates water, blue smoke, oil. If it is white smoke, that would indicate water is getting into the combustion chamber, either through a leaky headgasket, cracked cylinder, or intermix somehow. Does not sound good. I wish you all the best.

Am I crazy or am I?
Old 09-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Sorry to hear that davehud but that sounds like a seal and or gasket problem. The water thing maybe normal but not the smoke. Does alot come out on start up? Thats a shame if it is a seal or gasket problem at only 122k miles. Good luck and let us know what you ended up doing bout it.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:20 PM

Ok, so I checked with the repair shop. They told me that my Catalytic Converter or muffler may be going bad. All seems to be working right with the muffler, but the technician told me that one of the by products of the converter is water which when heated makes steam. The steam is only present after the car idles for a while. I'm taking it back to have is inspected by BMW next week.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:05 AM

The white smoke/steam starts about 2 minuets into idling and it's not bad at first. It seems that the longer you let it idle the more water/ condensation builds into the muffle. When the gas is pressed it clears the muffler causing a big puff of smoke/steam then starts the process all over again. i replace the MAF sensor and the secondary air bank valve which is what the dealer said was bad, but still having moisture from the tailpipe. Although I'm not burning oil nor am I burning antifreeze, BMW said I may need a new engine. Any takers on this problem? Car almost runs like new mony, some hesitation noted but it seems more like a small vaccume leak.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li, X5 3.0, A6 2.7t
Sounds like head gasket to me.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:38 PM

That's what I thought, but I took it to a bmw service center and had it checked out. They said the engine has good compression and the antifreeze and oil are at the right levels. I havn't lost any of these fluids. I've had head gaskets blow on a previous vehical, this is something else. I've got an appoitment in two weeks. They told me it's ok to drive on so we'll see what goes down.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhud1971 View Post
Ok, so I checked with the repair shop. They told me that my Catalytic Converter or muffler may be going bad. All seems to be working right with the muffler, but the technician told me that one of the by products of the converter is water which when heated makes steam. The steam is only present after the car idles for a while. I'm taking it back to have is inspected by BMW next week.
This sounds correct, good compression and coolant level indicates no HG leak, so the problem is extra water in the pipe (condensation). Its very normal as the pipe gets older to see more of this steam. I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 740-IL
740il 2000 model somkes durig start

I think I too have the same issue, my car smokes mostly sky blue during the start, may be about 5 secs, during the run no smoke. If any one fixed this issue, please post the diagnosis and reapir costs. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:40 PM
asc-abs sensors rock!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to starioncorrado
Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunagi View Post
I think I too have the same issue, my car smokes mostly sky blue during the start, may be about 5 secs, during the run no smoke. If any one fixed this issue, please post the diagnosis and reapir costs. Thanks for the help.
Your situation sounds more like bad valve seals. As time pases on the seals were out cousing some cloud of blue smoke, this means that oil is seeping in to your combustion chamber cousing your motor to smoke blue at start ups in the mornigs.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 740-IL
Thank you starioncorrado

Thank you very much for the info, I would like to know is it better to fix it with a dealer or with some other repair shop. Does it cause harm to the engine if I don't fix it soon?. Any approximate cost for this repair based on your exp.?.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740il
i have the same problem and was told by the dealer its the valley pan thats leaking or the oil seperator valve bad, changed both and still have the same problem...they told me to try different gas, because some gas has new additives in them that affects bmw systems so i trying that method to see if it changes anything.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:22 PM
asc-abs sensors rock!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to starioncorrado
Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by digidybear View Post
i have the same problem and was told by the dealer its the valley pan thats leaking or the oil seperator valve bad, changed both and still have the same problem...they told me to try different gas, because some gas has new additives in them that affects bmw systems so i trying that method to see if it changes anything.
Gas?? Really sounds like bull to me. I dont think thaat gas has anything to do with water vapor. As far as i know gas dont mix well with water and also i dont know about chemicals on the fuel that causes white smoke to come out of your pipes. I could be wrong but i doubt it.Good luck chuck!!LOL!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:02 PM

Found the problem. The emissions valve located on the back of passenger side of the intake manifold went bad, and the vacuum pump was failing. The way I found this out was first the fault codes (p0491) and by doing a simple test. First the vacuum pump is connected to the camshaft on the forward part of the engine. The 745I idle is set to about 500rpm, as the engine idles at stops and after it was warmed up to operating temperature, the idle is set to to this rpm; however. At cold starts, and while driving the rpm's are greatly increased; thereby increasing the rpm on the camshaft and the vacuum pump; thereby increasing the vacuum pressure. The simple test was this; first listen to the vacuum pump for strange clicking noise (which if heard occasionally); next I warmed the engine to operating temperature to get it to smoke, then I increased the engine rpm. I did this test while driving with my foot on the brake and the gas with an increase in rpm to 1000. Another symptom was I was consistently getting low brake brake pressure, which really drove it home. Thanks to all who provided assistance.

Last edited by davhud1971; 01-03-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 04 745li
I've noticed that one thing is certain- BMW shops do as mutch guessing as we do. What a joke. Time and time again I've read about people taking their cars to the dealer to have parts swaped. They do that to me everytime. They replace parts till, by chance, they get the right one. $165 per hr for a game of chance. They replaced my cad (ignition switch) because my battery would not charge. I ended up with a new CAD and a new alternator. $1200 for the CAD, 0 for the alternator. On my first visit I had given them an alternator reading of 10v while the car was runing. They gave me the run around for a few days. I called BMW North America. The service manager called me the very next day. Kind of worked out for me since I had purchased the car with 1 key and needed to buy an extra($500 with programing) The dealer I purchased the car from paid the $1200 repair bill. I guess one of the little guys won this time.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: E65
Quote:
Found the problem. The emissions valve located on the back of passenger side of the intake manifold went bad, and the vacuum pump was failing. The way I found this out was first the fault codes (p0491) and by doing a simple test. First the vacuum pump is connected to the camshaft on the forward part of the engine. The 745I idle is set to about 500rpm, as the engine idles at stops and after it was warmed up to operating temperature, the idle is set to to this rpm; however. At cold starts, and while driving the rpm's are greatly increased; thereby increasing the rpm on the camshaft and the vacuum pump; thereby increasing the vacuum pressure. The simple test was this; first listen to the vacuum pump for strange clicking noise (which if heard occasionally); next I warmed the engine to operating temperature to get it to smoke, then I increased the engine rpm. I did this test while driving with my foot on the brake and the gas with an increase in rpm to 1000. Another symptom was I was consistently getting low brake brake pressure, which really drove it home. Thanks to all who provided assistance.

Hi, I'm having same trouble, could you tell that, which one do you mean(air-pump) or (vacuum pump) ? which one was broken one? or do you chance both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air-pump.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	244106   Click image for larger version

Name:	vakuumi pumppu.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	244107  
Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745i 2003
smoke

Quote:
hi, is it
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...77&hg=11&fg=40

number 4 here? the sensor?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N60B44 View Post
hi, is it
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...77&hg=11&fg=40

number 4 here? the sensor?
Ok, I exchange that number4 and the vac-pump allso. Hope that do the thing.

Thank you!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
i had the same problem earlier this year and it was my catalytic converter on driver side, replaced it and never saw water or smoke again

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaveliFaison View Post
i had the same problem earlier this year and it was my catalytic converter on driver side, replaced it and never saw water or smoke again
Ok, does your car smoke all the time or just when you rev up engine? Does smoking cut off, when you start driving it and come back when, engine is idle speed for a wild and then rev up again. Then somke returns? These are symphtoms that I have.

I hope that it is not catalysator problem.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
it had smoked when i first cut the car on, i dont remember if it did it when i sat still in traffic but i would think that it did if i sat there long enough. basically if the water doesnt vaporize in time you will see white smoke and possibly water if there is enough of it. but once you hit the gas you normally clear it out while driving which is why you wouldnt see it while driving.

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 11-11-2010, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i Sport
Quote:
I have a 2004 745I with 122,000 miles. Over the last two weeks I've noticed a puff of what seemed to be white smoke coming from the tailpipe of my 7. Upon further investigation and with help from my son on the gas paddle, I discovered it was actually white smoke with water coming from the driver side muffler. I know what the possibilities are but I want to know if any of you guys have had this same problem. My 7 (E65) has been used primarily for work and pleasure. Over the last year alone I've up rack up over 28,000 miles. I recently changed all four O2 sensors bringing the routing maintenance up to date. Thanks in advance...

Hi there, Please I need help on my 2003 745i. I have the same problem ( white smoke with water coming from the driver side muffler) there is two tailpipe on the driver side. the right side one has no exhaust air come from the engine when it is running. the left side pipe has white smoke with water, but not all the time. why the right side pipe not blowing exhaust air from the engine? and what is the problem with white smoke?

Please I need help on this. I just got my 03 BMW 745i last week. this is my fourth BMW 7 ser.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 735i
Quote:
The white smoke/steam starts about 2 minuets into idling and it's not bad at first. It seems that the longer you let it idle the more water/ condensation builds into the muffle. When the gas is pressed it clears the muffler causing a big puff of smoke/steam then starts the process all over again. i replace the MAF sensor and the secondary air bank valve which is what the dealer said was bad, but still having moisture from the tailpipe. Although I'm not burning oil nor am I burning antifreeze, BMW said I may need a new engine. Any takers on this problem? Car almost runs like new mony, some hesitation noted but it seems more like a small vaccume leak.
Have you done an oil change with some good oil in it ?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i Sport
03 745i- white smoke and water from the left tailpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by klob25 View Post
Have you done an oil change with some good oil in it ?
When I got the car, it has low level of oil, so I added about 2 quarters on it. The oil and the antifreeze are clean as well.

My problem is like this car in the link blow:

Last edited by samba_vip; 11-11-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Adding link
Old 11-12-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samba_vip View Post
Hi there, Please I need help on my 2003 745i. I have the same problem ( white smoke with water coming from the driver side muffler) there is two tailpipe on the driver side. the right side one has no exhaust air come from the engine when it is running. the left side pipe has white smoke with water, but not all the time. why the right side pipe not blowing exhaust air from the engine? and what is the problem with white smoke?

Please I need help on this. I just got my 03 BMW 745i last week. this is my fourth BMW 7 ser.
Hi,

I take off the intake valeve train sensor gable and smoking cutt off. I belive there is the problem, with the sensor. I allso have change the vacum pump, air pump and the sensor what David has allso replaced. Alsso separators and the cdv valve have been change. Vacum pump had very bad leak and oil has gone trough the vacum pump. I notice that the brake pedal was extremly hard. Now Im waiting to get change the sensor and hope the answear is there. I have drive sensor unpuged so that the motor take "safety" program and I get error message reduced power. But abele to drive it. So try unplug the sensor nro.10 and tell is it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake valve train sensor.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	254334