Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Edev's Avatar
Edev Edev is offline
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,200
Mein Auto: M Coupe
clutch bearing?

throw out bearing is another one i heard. when i start the car, it idles just fine..but it rattles. but when i push in the clutch, the rattling goes away. how difficult is it to replace it? and if i dont, will there be any long term consequences?
__________________
BMW Genius @BMWPortland.
2000 Z3 M Coupe
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-22-2008, 04:10 PM
markseven markseven is offline
an audience of One
Location: John 3:17
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,382
Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_325i View Post
throw out bearing is another one i heard. when i start the car, it idles just fine..but it rattles. but when i push in the clutch, the rattling goes away. how difficult is it to replace it? and if i dont, will there be any long term consequences?
You'll have to pull the trans.

Any vibration associated with rotating mass is bad (the vibration will eventually lead to ancillary components failing). If this is prolly true with TO bearings, which affects the input shafts and gear box. Remember, the vibration goes away when the clutch is engaged, meaning it's rattling away while you cruise on down the road...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Edev's Avatar
Edev Edev is offline
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,200
Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
You'll have to pull the trans.

Any vibration associated with rotating mass is bad (the vibration will eventually lead to ancillary components failing). If this is prolly true with TO bearings, which affects the input shafts and gear box. Remember, the vibration goes away when the clutch is engaged, meaning it's rattling away while you cruise on down the road...
craaaap. im assuming it would take give or take a full day to do the job right? can i purchase the clutch bearing separate?

EDIT: just re searched bav auto and they're asking $34. is that reasonable? sounds pretty cheap.
__________________
BMW Genius @BMWPortland.
2000 Z3 M Coupe

Last edited by Edev; 09-22-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
markseven markseven is offline
an audience of One
Location: John 3:17
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,382
Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_325i View Post
craaaap. im assuming it would take give or take a full day to do the job right? can i purchase the clutch bearing separate?

EDIT: just re searched bav auto and they're asking $34. is that reasonable? sounds pretty cheap.
I don't know how long it will take you. I've heard the top two bolts on the bell housing are a supreme pain.

Click here for bearings
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Edev's Avatar
Edev Edev is offline
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,200
Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
I don't know how long it will take you. I've heard the top two bolts on the bell housing are a supreme pain.

Click here for bearings
alright, thanks man i appreciate it

whats weird is that when i bought the clutch kit from bav auto (the complete kit) it came with a brand new throw out bearing. ive had the car since April of this year. do they tend to go out, or break easily?

ive messaged my mechanic about it as well since he helped me build my e30.
__________________
BMW Genius @BMWPortland.
2000 Z3 M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 PM
cliffmac cliffmac is offline
Banned
Location: chicago
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 325ic
if you are going to replace the throwout bearing

my recomendation is you do the entire clutch and clean it up....as long as you are in that far might just as well do the entire thing...good luck cliff
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Edev's Avatar
Edev Edev is offline
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,200
Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffmac View Post
my recomendation is you do the entire clutch and clean it up....as long as you are in that far might just as well do the entire thing...good luck cliff
well thats the thing thats making me scratch my head..the clutch has only been in there since april of this year. one recommendation is that i should use Royal Purple or whatever inside? i bought the whole kit from bav auto for 239..so im not sure why its making this noise?
__________________
BMW Genius @BMWPortland.
2000 Z3 M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 PM
markseven markseven is offline
an audience of One
Location: John 3:17
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,382
Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_325i View Post
well thats the thing thats making me scratch my head..the clutch has only been in there since april of this year. one recommendation is that i should use Royal Purple or whatever inside? i bought the whole kit from bav auto for 239..so im not sure why its making this noise?
Royal Purple is good, but doesn't affect the clutch at all. You should call BavAuto and relate your experience. Maybe they have some insight into why the TOB went south so quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Edev's Avatar
Edev Edev is offline
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,200
Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
Royal Purple is good, but doesn't affect the clutch at all. You should call BavAuto and relate your experience. Maybe they have some insight into why the TOB went south so quickly.
thats weird, why would someone tell me to put Royal Purple in...and it'll make the problem nearly go away? haha. people these days.

thanks for the tip, ill try giving them a call tomorrow to try to sort this out. does this mean the TOB broke, or just isn't functioning correctly?
__________________
BMW Genius @BMWPortland.
2000 Z3 M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-22-2008, 07:33 PM
cliffmac cliffmac is offline
Banned
Location: chicago
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 325ic
the throw out bearing is very important

typically it'll be most apparent with the clutch engaged with the tranny in gear....you do understand what the throwout bearing does right? cliffmac
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 PM
cliffmac cliffmac is offline
Banned
Location: chicago
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 325ic
let me ask this

when the tranny is in neutral and the clutch is not engaged with the engine running, does the car creep forward? and still make this sound? cliff
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Edev's Avatar
Edev Edev is offline
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,200
Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffmac View Post
typically it'll be most apparent with the clutch engaged with the tranny in gear....you do understand what the throwout bearing does right? cliffmac
ive done some reading on it before i posted. and when i push in the clutch (in neutral) the sound is normal, when i let it out..it starts rattling
__________________
BMW Genius @BMWPortland.
2000 Z3 M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Edev's Avatar
Edev Edev is offline
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,200
Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffmac View Post
when the tranny is in neutral and the clutch is not engaged with the engine running, does the car creep forward? and still make this sound? cliff
nope. it does not creep forward. it just rattles when the clutch is not engaged.
__________________
BMW Genius @BMWPortland.
2000 Z3 M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 PM
bimmerboy08's Avatar
bimmerboy08 bimmerboy08 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha, NE
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,337
Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
I don't know how long it will take you. I've heard the top two bolts on the bell housing are a supreme pain.

Click here for bearings
When you do pull the bell housing, you will need to stock up on socket extensions and patience. It seriously took me 3 socket extensions and one of those flexible elbow joints to get a socket head on the top two bolts. Maybe there is a better way or a special tool for it, but this was my experience.
__________________


The E30 is what all actual driving enthusiasts are after. It's an unpretentious machine, quietly capable of spectacular feats of handling. It's light, simple design is rugged enough to run against $400k rally cars, but on the street it' communicative chassis delights even the most disinterested driver. It really is one of the world's ultimate driving machines
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Eviil30 Eviil30 is offline
fightin' round the world
Location: in a van down by the river
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,770
Mein Auto: 91' 318i / 90' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_325i View Post
nope. it does not creep forward. it just rattles when the clutch is not engaged.
mines doing the same thing, i knew it was the to bearing but i'm stuck far from home and cant fix it myself, gotta pay someone a ton to do a job i can do myself, sux
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Edev's Avatar
Edev Edev is offline
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,200
Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy08 View Post
When you do pull the bell housing, you will need to stock up on socket extensions and patience. It seriously took me 3 socket extensions and one of those flexible elbow joints to get a socket head on the top two bolts. Maybe there is a better way or a special tool for it, but this was my experience.
haha, ill keep that in mind. i just need to find time to do this. and a person who is relatively mechanically inclined so they can help me.

i find this odd..i know this is an online forum (obviously) but all the e30 enthusiasts on here are really far away from each other. it sucks because one just cannot stop by for the evening and help out or just hang ya know. its a bummer.
__________________
BMW Genius @BMWPortland.
2000 Z3 M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Edev's Avatar
Edev Edev is offline
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,200
Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHelmut View Post
mines doing the same thing, i knew it was the to bearing but i'm stuck far from home and cant fix it myself, gotta pay someone a ton to do a job i can do myself, sux
i just realized..mine has been doing this basically ever since the clutch was installed. maybe he didnt do it right? but thats horrible man! i feel your pain. no fun at all
__________________
BMW Genius @BMWPortland.
2000 Z3 M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-23-2008, 08:01 AM
markseven markseven is offline
an audience of One
Location: John 3:17
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,382
Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy08 View Post
When you do pull the bell housing, you will need to stock up on socket extensions and patience. It seriously took me 3 socket extensions and one of those flexible elbow joints to get a socket head on the top two bolts. Maybe there is a better way or a special tool for it, but this was my experience.
From what I've read, your experience is typical. Some people have unbolted the motor mounts and lifted the back of the engine in order to gain access to those bolts. I would go the socket extension / u-joint route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_325i View Post
i just realized..mine has been doing this basically ever since the clutch was installed. maybe he didnt do it right? but thats horrible man! i feel your pain. no fun at all
Does the guy stand behind his work? Any chance he will fix his mistake if did screw up? Worth asking, yeah?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 AM
bimmerboy08's Avatar
bimmerboy08 bimmerboy08 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha, NE
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,337
Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_325i View Post
haha, ill keep that in mind. i just need to find time to do this. and a person who is relatively mechanically inclined so they can help me.

i find this odd..i know this is an online forum (obviously) but all the e30 enthusiasts on here are really far away from each other. it sucks because one just cannot stop by for the evening and help out or just hang ya know. its a bummer.

I feel your pain...I live in del rio, TX and am far away from everything...except Mexico. I can see that from my backyard.
__________________


The E30 is what all actual driving enthusiasts are after. It's an unpretentious machine, quietly capable of spectacular feats of handling. It's light, simple design is rugged enough to run against $400k rally cars, but on the street it' communicative chassis delights even the most disinterested driver. It really is one of the world's ultimate driving machines
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Edev's Avatar
Edev Edev is offline
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,200
Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
Does the guy stand behind his work? Any chance he will fix his mistake if did screw up? Worth asking, yeah?
hes a pretty reasonable guy. he does bmws as a part time thing, just for his own fun..not to really make any money. and ill probably have to pay him, even though he might have messed up. ill try to talk to him about it. i emailed him yesterday a little after i started this thread..no response yet.
__________________
BMW Genius @BMWPortland.
2000 Z3 M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-23-2008, 05:26 PM
cliffmac cliffmac is offline
Banned
Location: chicago
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 325ic
yes...

if it's that new of a clutch kit from BavAuto that is interesting....hmmm....who installed this?
cliffmac
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Edev's Avatar
Edev Edev is offline
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,200
Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffmac View Post
if it's that new of a clutch kit from BavAuto that is interesting....hmmm....who installed this?
cliffmac
a buddy of mine who has been working on bmws for years now. old and new. 3s, 5s, 6s, 7s.
__________________
BMW Genius @BMWPortland.
2000 Z3 M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 PM
cliffmac cliffmac is offline
Banned
Location: chicago
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 325ic
maybe it wasn't installed exactly right

cause usually BavarianAutosport is spot on....and a clutch involves many other activities that may cause this...just a guess....cliffmac
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Edev's Avatar
Edev Edev is offline
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,200
Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffmac View Post
cause usually BavarianAutosport is spot on....and a clutch involves many other activities that may cause this...just a guess....cliffmac
thats what im thinking. i think the rattle has always been there. i cannot remember WHEN it started, but it was maybe 2-3 months (or sooner?) after my car was finished that i noticed it.
__________________
BMW Genius @BMWPortland.
2000 Z3 M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Lanc3r Lanc3r is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 0
Mein Auto:
I agree it sounds like the clutch bearing but have you elimiated the shifter? I know loose or worn bushings cause a good amount of vibration. Also, how does the clutch pedal feel?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms