Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1985 325es
Red face First Thread! Woot! Need to get speedometer help...

Hi everyone, a pleasure to meet you all;
I was driving along a couple months ago and my odometer and trip odometer stopped working, bad news, but the car is old and this was liveable.
About a week later the whole dash goes dead except the speedometer as the SI batteries go dead. On the same trip, on the same day, even on the same highway; the heater blower motor decides it's no longer going to turn on after starting my car up from refuling. But, that's a different topic from the cluster going dead.

Later that weekend I dig the insturment cluster out of the dash and get to the SI board and find that theres not the standard rechargeable "AA" batteries there, instead they are "1/2AA", and that has another more official nomencalture with more letters but the replacement cross referance said the "1/2AA" from radio shack would work. I tried to replace the batteries but it turned out to be impossible to solder onto the new batts so it ended badly.

Now, I'm in a bad way and would really like to get the cluster all working again, but I need to know what years of E30 clusters will be drop in replacements for my 1985 325ES?
I would like to just get a working one and replace the batteries and be done with it, but I would need to order it online- so I want to be sure what's okay and what's not.

Secondly, this one is starting to baffle me: the dead heater/AC blower motor.
I replaced the motor itself about a year ago with a junkyard motor, worked fine and the motor itself is currently in good working order.

The dashboard switch seems to be working fine, it checked seemingly good with a resistance check across all terminals.

The fuses seem to be okay, I think the main motor fuse is 20 according to this website:
http://e30m3performance.com/maintenance/fuse_box/pg-3.gif
But I checked them all to be sure.

The relays seem to be in good order, I tested it with another identical relay and it fired up the circuit.

I'm yet to take voltage readings in depth, but it seems that only 1 K7 terminal is getting +12v. K7 is the power relay that supplies the heater according to the manual posted in the E30 forum here.

I'm sort of at ends, but I have a couple slightly more aggressive things to try. If this is a common problem with a common work around would somebody please tell me?!

Thanks for reading!
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Zinnobitch

Send a message via AIM to Soviet1942 Send a message via MSN to Soviet1942 Send a message via Skype™ to Soviet1942
Mein Auto: 1987 325is
So their are retarded batteries for an SI board? I needed to change mine -_-
Old 11-28-2007, 09:15 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
i never knew batteries can be retarted. i just know some people just file away part of the posts and sodder to that. other than that, i know of the battery packs they install on some models. still dont know what i have, im scared to tear into the dash.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:34 PM

yah, the 1/2AA batts rang in at $17 each and they were a waste of money if I can't get solder to stick to them. I will be replacing them with an externaly mounted (to the cluster) set of rechargeable AA batteries in a battery holder with long wires soldered onto the SI board. BS man, I tell ya.

If any of you go on to be automotive engineers, make your parts non-specialized and already common; even it it's not as profitable.
Like: common headlight bulbs, easy to get batteries, common sized oil filters, interchangeable parts throughout your entire line of cars.

Long day, sorry to rant. My credit score went down and I'm upset.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 88 M3
where are you in Illinois? There are a couple of junkyards around Waukegan and Wadsworth. As a matter of fact there are 7 e30s currently in the junkyard in Waukegan. would be willing to go pillage with you.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:46 PM

I'm sorry Court M3, I live in Springfield IL which is about 4 to 4.5 hours each way. I'd love to pillage and loot but I work full time including some weekends and then drill at least one weekend a month with the National Guard. However, I do go to New Lenox periodicly for family and that's pretty close, that would be a lot of fun in the spring weather! (anything below freezing and it's only a matter of time before my hands don't work so good)

If you want I will PM you next time I go to New Lenox?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:07 PM

Does anybody have any sort of listing on which years of insurment clusters are interchangeable? This could really help me out!
Again, I drive a 1985 325es. My odometer stipped at 276,xxx miles and I really want to see it go past 300,000! even if I have to rp out the guts of my old one and put them in the new one.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
from my understanding from previous forums is anything from a '84 to '89 would work. but there are two versions of the cluster. but you can interchange the guts.

so if im wrong please correct me.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 325is
Hello Origin!

I'm also in Springfield.
'88 325is with a dead odo.
Anyone ever fixed one of these bad girls or should I just get a replacement cluster? Perhaps send Origin and crew pillaging upstate for me?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 325ic
as this is an illinois thread

let me chime in...I am in Glen Ellyn Illinois, about 25 miles west of the loop and have owned many BMW's over the years...the issues you speak of are quite familiar and common to me so feel free to shout out should you ever be in the Chicagoland area and wish to discuss....good luck Cliffmac
Old 09-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Rather Large Member

Mein Auto: 88 325is 04&09 jetta TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
from my understanding from previous forums is anything from a '84 to '89 would work. but there are two versions of the cluster. but you can interchange the guts.

so if im wrong please correct me.
VDO and Motometer are interchangeable. Clusters pre 6/86 aren't supposed to interchange parts with post 6/86 clusters. Of course the coding plugs should be appropriate for the car. And the older style clusters and the newer style aren't SUPPOSED to interchange, but sometimes will work............

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson
Old age and treachery, will always overcome youth and skill.

Last edited by lordofthewaters; 09-23-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Rather Large Member

Mein Auto: 88 325is 04&09 jetta TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsea View Post
I'm also in Springfield.
'88 325is with a dead odo.
Anyone ever fixed one of these bad girls or should I just get a replacement cluster? Perhaps send Origin and crew pillaging upstate for me?
Easy to do. Just crack the cluster and pull the speedo. It's pretty obvious once you're in there. You should get all of the replacement gears though instead of just the broken one/s. You can find them at odometergears.com, or for much less on ebay from seller sprtevolution. The gears are manufacturer specific, so you'll need to check your speedo before ordering. Don't trust what it says on the cluster. These things get swapped around too often.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson
Old age and treachery, will always overcome youth and skill.