Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-21-2008, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
telescoping steering wheel

Hello to all,
today the telescoping steering wheel just wouldnt work, all the other buttons on steering wheel and tilt works, anyone had this problem before? I did a search and noone seems to have had the same problem...
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
  1. What happens if you press any of the memory seat buttons? Does the steering wheel go into any setting that you've entered?
  2. Does the telescopic feature fail in both directions (inward & outward)...or does it only fail going in one direction?
  3. What condition is the seat cover in, that's around your driver's seat? Is it broken or falling away from the seat?

If the plastic seat cover around the base of the driver's seat is falling away from the seat...it tends to allow the large switch behind the rectangular seat button to get damaged as you get in & out of the car...many times the electrical connection on that switch gets slightly pulled out or breaks away from the switch...and the pins either get disengaged or bent. This can cause the steering wheel, side mirrors, and seat to not function properly. That switch is an integral component in the operation of the seat/steering wheel/side mirrors.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 09-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Mine has been acting up a bit lately too and a bit lethargic but it still works. Every now and again it won't do the "auto up" whe you get into the car it'll move a hair then stop. But if I put it through all the motions several times "in and out, down and up" it'll eventually start working again. I'm sure it'll need to be fixed soon.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 09-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
How old is the battery in your car? Had mine acting up the same way not long ago--OEM bat was in the car 100k + miles on it--replaced the bat and everything worked OK afterwards.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM

recently changed the bettery about 6 months ago...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 PM

What happens if you press any of the memory seat buttons? Does the steering wheel go into any setting that you've entered? noooo....

Does the telescopic feature fail in both directions (inward & outward)...or does it only fail going in one direction? both directions dont work...

What condition is the seat cover in, that's around your driver's seat? Is it broken or falling away from the seat? it is seperated as you mention, is that th cause? What should I do about it?

If the plastic seat cover around the base of the driver's seat is falling away from the seat...it tends to allow the large switch behind the rectangular seat button to get damaged as you get in & out of the car...many times the electrical connection on that switch gets slightly pulled out or breaks away from the switch...and the pins either get disengaged or bent. This can cause the steering wheel, side mirrors, and seat to not function properly. That switch is an integral component in the operation of the seat/steering wheel/side mirrors.

Thanks for your reply...now what to do?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoghbelli View Post
What condition is the seat cover in, that's around your driver's seat? Is it broken or falling away from the seat?
it is seperated as you mention, is that th cause? What should I do about it?

Thanks for your reply...now what to do?
What usually happens when the seat surround breaks away from the seat is...the electrical connection on the seat switch get broken and/or the pins get bent or the whole wiring harness starts to disconnect from the switch which causes the problem.

The solution is to remove the broken cover (seat surround) so that you can take a look at the switch...sometimes you can slide the connector back in if its not broken ...and you will need to look at getting a new seat cover.

There are write-ups on how to remove the cover...it's held on by two torx screws and 3 snap in tabs. There's a screw on the front side and one on the top rear hidden underneath some of the seat leather where the seatbelt runs thru it. The snap tabs are located up front, in the middle and on the rear.

The 1st pic below is a pic of the back side of the switch..the electrical connector is circled in red..and the 2nd pic below you can see how the switch gets broken...

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg