Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-26-2011, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Tire recommendations

Any recommendations for 2002 530i tires. Do many highway miles
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2011, 06:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Is your car a sport model?
Probably a good touring tire...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

Michelin Primacy's.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus's,
Continental DWS's.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i Sport AW
DWS hands down, Great grip, low noise, cheap and very slow wear
Old 03-26-2011, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: '00 540i/6
I just got a new set of Continental DWS, and I have to recommend them as well. Great grip, low noise, smooth and the wear ratings are pretty good. I'll have to see how they wear over time.

2000 540i Sport 6-speed | Bilsteins | Eurosport CAI | Clears
Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2003 540i m-sport
how much for a set of conti dsw?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmallard78 View Post
how much for a set of conti dsw?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Also check the Nov 2010 issue of Consumer Reports. They evaluated several types of performance tires, including summer high performance and all-season.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
You won't ever agree with any algorithm, but, see this for details on how to purchase tires 'by the numbers' (yes, I know, it's contentious ... but ... the OP asked so I'm pointing him to the by-the-numbers method):

- Choosing the right BMW tire size (1) (2) & tyre circumference, diameter, offset, & clearance calculators (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & a torque conversion calculator (1) & how to logically choose tires by the numbers (1) (2) & where to buy your tires in the USA (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & tire plant codes (1) (2) (3) & tire safety (1) & recommended tire pressures (1) (2) (3) & the claimed benefits of nitrogen gas (1) (2) & tire terminology (1) (2) & wheel terminology (1) & BMW wheel specs (1) & BMW & replica wheel styles (1) (2) (3) (4) & the difference between cast vs forged wheels (1) & where to find the wheel markings for proper match mounting (1) & the best products for cleaning wheels (1).
Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 AM

So that the bestlinks is more 'balanced', I add this thread (see red below) to the tire recommendations (I don't feel like googling for the actual 'best' of the tire threads).

If you know of BETTER 'what tire' threads, just post them here and I'll add them for future reference.

- Choosing the right BMW tire size (1) (2) & tyre circumference, diameter, offset, & clearance calculators (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & a torque conversion calculator (1) & how to logically choose tires by the numbers (1) (2) or by recommendations (1) & where to buy your tires in the USA (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & tire plant codes (1) (2) (3) & tire safety (1) & recommended tire pressures (1) (2) (3) & the claimed benefits of nitrogen gas (1) (2) & tire terminology (1) (2) & wheel terminology (1) & BMW wheel specs (1) & BMW & replica wheel styles (1) (2) (3) (4) & the difference between cast vs forged wheels (1) & where to find the wheel markings for proper match mounting (1) & the best products for cleaning wheels (1).
Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 03 E39
I just ordered my Conti DWS yesterday. For Canadians, Tire Trends beat Tire Rack by over $50 to the door.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: GT3RS 530I
I have Michilin Pilot A/S Plus, very good tire and has mileage rating of 40,000 miles. For me a very good all around tire. Tire rack has them priced at $174 each. Here is a review left on their site for this tire.

I replaced a set of New Continental ExtremeContact DWS's with these tires after only 1000 miles, and got exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a balanced combination of sporty driving response and performance with the benefits of an All-Season tire. The Continental's were too soft, flat spotted in less than an hour, and were definately not repsonsive when cornering. The only thing the Continental's had over these Michelin's were quietness. The Michelin's are much quieter than the original Dunlop Run Flats, but not nearly as quiet as the Continentals. I chose spirited driving enjoyment and performance over quietness. If you are like me and are trying to decide between the Conti DWS and the Pilot Sport A/S Plus, go with Michelin, you'll enjoy driving on them much more. The Continental's were too tame, and the flat spotting was completely unbearable - it made driving my car boring and annoying. The Michelin's make driving exciting like it should be.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
Did you try pumping up the DWS's tire pressure to 38-40 lbs to increase grip? I thought the DWS ompletely changed the way my car handled when I pumped them up to 40 psi. And the flat spot all but disappeared.
The DWS have such a high comfort and quiet quality to them that makes them so popular. I for one replaced a 10k mile set of 1/3rd worn Michelin sport a/s for the DWS. I found the road noise from the Michelin to be too much for a family car. If the car is just my personal car, I could live with it and crank up the tunes. But with a car full of passengers, having a conversation required speaking to be louder than the road noise, it was just a bit too much.

Last edited by DHoang; 03-27-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgreco View Post
I have Michilin Pilot A/S Plus, very good tire and has mileage rating of 40,000 miles. For me a very good all around tire. Tire rack has them priced at $174 each. Here is a review left on their site for this tire.

I replaced a set of New Continental ExtremeContact DWS's with these tires after only 1000 miles, and got exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a balanced combination of sporty driving response and performance with the benefits of an All-Season tire. The Continental's were too soft, flat spotted in less than an hour, and were definitely not responsive when cornering. The only thing the Continental's had over these Michelin's were quietness. The Michelin's are much quieter than the original Dunlop Run Flats, but not nearly as quiet as the Continentals. I chose spirited driving enjoyment and performance over quietness. If you are like me and are trying to decide between the Conti DWS and the Pilot Sport A/S Plus, go with Michelin, you'll enjoy driving on them much more. The Continental's were too tame, and the flat spotting was completely unbearable - it made driving my car boring and annoying. The Michelin's make driving exciting like it should be.
Interesting...
This is not the first time I have heard this...
Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i, '87 944S
I just got a pair of Pilot Sport A/S plus on rear of my 540. Got to say I'm very disappointed. Made it feel "wobbly" in S turns. Traction control light flickers (reduces power) when accelerating out of curves. Feels like riding on tires with low pressure, but they're right on (35F, 39R). My last 4 pairs of rears were BF Goodrich G-force sports. The G-force do not last long (5-8k miles), probably mostly from the way I drive, but handle/grip great. I drive curvy 2 lane roads every day to/from work, 32 mi round-trip. Anyway, I am taking Michelin up on their 30 day satisfaction gaurantee, going back to the BF Goodrich for half the price.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
If you do lots of highway driving, you won't need a sports tire. You're looking for a grand touring tire. A friend of mine bought some 225/60/16 Bridgestone Turanzas at Walmart for just over $80/per I believe. It's an 80,000 mile tire.

I have General Altimax HPs on my Grand Cherokee and I've never had a quieter tire. It handles well, even when turning my yacht of a jeep. They have been on for about 18 months and 35,000 miles, I still have 8/32nds of tread (new were 10 I think). I got them from tirerack.

Another perk to buying a tire from walmart is their road hazard warranty ($10/tire). Honored nationwide, if they can't fix something wrong with a tire then they'll replace it. For the first 25% of its life it's free, after that it is a prorated amount. Cheaper and easier then TireRacks warranty... They also have a lifetime balance and rotation package ($7.50/per) that let's you get them rebalanced and rotated as often as you wish at any walmart. They charge $5 for the one-time balance when you buy the tire so it's only $2.50 more.

Something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_540i View Post
I just got a pair of Pilot Sport A/S plus on rear of my 540. Got to say I'm very disappointed.
Made it feel "wobbly" in S turns. Traction control light flickers (reduces power) when accelerating out of curves.
Feels like riding on tires with low pressure, but they're right on (35F, 39R).
My last 4 pairs of rears were BF Goodrich G-force sports.
The G-force do not last long (5-8k miles), probably mostly from the way I drive, but handle/grip great.
I drive curvy 2 lane roads every day to/from work, 32 mi round-trip.
Anyway, I am taking Michelin up on their 30 day satisfaction guarantee, going back to the BF Goodrich for half the price.
Do you have your original suspension?
Original rear ball joints and rear control arms..?
Hint-hint...

The Michelins probably helped you detect the weaker link in your suspension...
Also, check for bent wheels...
Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: GT3RS 530I
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_540i View Post
I just got a pair of Pilot Sport A/S plus on rear of my 540. Got to say I'm very disappointed. Made it feel "wobbly" in S turns. Traction control light flickers (reduces power) when accelerating out of curves. Feels like riding on tires with low pressure, but they're right on (35F, 39R). My last 4 pairs of rears were BF Goodrich G-force sports. The G-force do not last long (5-8k miles), probably mostly from the way I drive, but handle/grip great. I drive curvy 2 lane roads every day to/from work, 32 mi round-trip. Anyway, I am taking Michelin up on their 30 day satisfaction gaurantee, going back to the BF Goodrich for half the price.
I don't really drive my 530I hard or push the performance/grip, it is a car we use for day to day driving. I'm sure if you push the Pilot Sport A/S to the limit it will not perform as well as a softer performance tire, but I was more interested in mileage versus performance for the BMW. My 911 rear tires are good for about 6,000 miles if your lucky but they are very performance oriented. Michelin is just releasing a Pilot Super Sport which replaces the Pilot Sport it is suppose to be a very good performance tire with a mileage warranty of up to 30,000 miles for certain cars, rear engine reduces the mileage in half.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 PM

In an attempt (probably futile) to list the most recommended E39 tires, see this thread from today:
- New Tires Followup: ExtremeContact DWS tires are extreme and costs less

Based on this thread chock full of recommendations:
- Buying new tires. Think I found best bang for buck and need input

Where the OP states, in the end:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemyad View Post
2002 BMW Sports Package ... Discount Tire ... Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow traction) and I LOVE THEM! ... 17" rims ...$645 installed...quiet, comfortable, and cling to the road in wet conditions. Have not driven them in snow
Old 07-27-2011, 06:47 PM

Yet another tire recommendation story posted today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Hankook V12 Evo K110 Any good?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 AM

For the crosslinked record, I am in need of tires myself, so, I updated the tire selection algorithm listed in this thread today:
- The absolute basics of how to select replacement tires for your beloved BMW E39

Note that thread, while it lists scores of tires, isn't about any particular tire; it's about the algorithm for choosing tires!

For example, here's one algorithm used to cull the 57 available tires for my sedan down to one:

Quote:
So, here is, for all to make fun of, my ad-hoc best guess at a tire-choosing algorithm!
  1. Ignore all marketing literature & tire warranty claims (ask me over here why I say this)
  2. Organize all available tires & gather the 'numbers' (see below)
  3. Sort the numbers in a spreadsheet based on various criteria
  4. From that, create a short list (3 or 4 perhaps) based on those sorts
  5. Then, read the reviews for the chosen few - but - only as a doublecheck.
Note: I realize the reviews cover things like noise & dry traction which are not covered under the numbers (however, reviews are also very unscientific!).

In doing the research, these are the numbers I can consistently find for each tire (this happens to be my current tire):
  • Brand (e.g., Michelin)
  • Model (e.g, Energy MXV4 Plus)
  • Size (e.g., P225/55R16)
  • Load Range (e.g., 95 ... 1521lbs)
  • Speed Designation (e.g., H ... 130mph)
  • Treadwear (e.g., 400)
  • Traction (e.g., A)
  • Temperature (e.g., A)
  • Price (e.g., $185.00)
Here, for example, is a set of 'numbers' for the least expensive "equivalent":
  • Brand (e.g., Hankook)
  • Model (e.g, Ventus V4 ES H105)
  • Size (e.g., P225/55R16)
  • Load Range (e.g., 99, 1709lbs)
  • Speed Designation (e.g., V, 149mph)
  • Treadwear (e.g., 420)
  • Traction (e.g., A)
  • Temperature (e.g., A)
  • Price (e.g., $88.00)
Notice, that's a HUGE difference in price with not such a large difference in the 'numbers'!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Float On

Mein Auto: 1981 320i
I'll recommend the Continental DWS as well. Very good in rain, very low noise and better than I expected on dry pavement but only about 12,000 miles on them since May so the wear factor is still in observation stages. Looking forward to snow performance!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 PM
BMW Magician

Mein Auto: e30 M50ish
If I had a e39 with 17" wheels/sport package atm I would be buying a set or two of the 235/45r17 Goodyears that Tirerack just put on clearance.

they are 240 AA A so they would fit more aggressive drivers better than commuters. They are made in Germany and have a load rating of 1609 lbs and are Y speed rated (186 mph). For $352 plus shipping a set of 4 they won't last long. They scored an average of 8.3 from 43 BMW owners reviewing them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....XLOLD&i1_Qty=4

Last edited by bimmerteck; 08-31-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
I'll recommend the Continental DWS
Since this thread is all about what tires an OP should buy (long ago bought but still an oft-asked topic), for my non-sport 2002 525i, yesterday, I researched ALL the available tires at Tire Rack ... and summarized them ... with their specs, below.

The aforementioned "Continental DWS" (#10 below) and my current tire (#49 out of 57), by way of comparison to it, are highlighted in red below in that list:

1. Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 P225/55R16 99V (1709lbs 149mph) 420 A A $88.00
  2. Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (H&V) P225/55R16 95V (1521lbs 149mph) 360 AA A $88.00
  3. Kumho Ecsta SPT P225/55ZR16 99W (1709lbs 168mph) 320 AA A $89.00
  4. Fuzion Touring (H&V) P225/55R16 99V (1709lbs 149mph) 400 A A $94.00
  5. Kumho Ecsta ASX P225/55R16 95W (1521lbs 168mph 420 AA A $96.00
  6. Kumho Ecsta SPT P225/55ZR16 99W (1709lbs 168mph) 320 AA A $97.00
  7. Firestone Firehawk GT P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 460 A A $100.00
  8. Dunlop Direzza DZ101 P225/55R16 95V (1521lbs 149mph) 300 A A $101.00
  9. Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (H&V) P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 360 AA A $102.00
  10. Continental ExtremeContact DWS P225/55ZR16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 540 A A $103.00
  11. Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum P225/55ZR16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 600 A A $103.00
  12. Kumho Ecsta 4X P225/55R16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 420 AA A $104.00
  13. Kumho Solus KH16 P225/55R16 94H (1477lbs 130mph) 440 AA A $104.00
  14. BFGoodrich g-Force Sport P225/55ZR16 Z 340 AA A $105.00
  15. Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 P225/55R16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 320 A A $105.00
  16. Firestone Precision Sport P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 400 A A $107.00
  17. Goodyear Eagle GT (V) P225/55R16 95V (1521lbs 149mph) 440 A A $107.00
  18. General Altimax HP P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 440 A A $109.00
  19. Fuzion ZRi P225/55R16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 320 A A $110.00
  20. Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval AS (H&V) P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph 460 A A $110.00
  21. Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport P225/55R16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 340 A A $111.00
  22. Yokohama S.drive P225/55R16 95W (1521lbs (168mph 300 AA A $112.00
  23. Continental ExtremeContact DW P225/55ZR16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 340 AA A $114.00
  24. General G-MAX AS-03 P225/55ZR16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 480 A A $114.00
  25. Yokohama ADVAN S.4. P225/55R16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 400 AA A $115.00
  26. Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid P225/55R16 95V (1521lbs 149mph) 460 A A $116.00
  27. Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V) P225/55R16 99V (1709lbs 149mph) 560 A A $119.00
  28. Continental ContiPremiumContact P225/55ZR16 99 (1709lbs ) 280 A A $121.00
  29. BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S H&V P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 460 AA A $122.00
  30. Yokohama AVID TRZ P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 580 A A $122.00
  31. Pirelli P6 Four Seasons P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 400 A A $123.00
  32. BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S P225/55ZR16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 400 AA A $129.00
  33. Goodyear Eagle RS-A P225/55R16 94H (1477lbs 130mph) 260 A A $129.00
  34. Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) $129.00
  35. Pirelli P6 Four Seasons Plus P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 500 A A $133.00
  36. Continental ContiProContact P225/55R16 99H (1709lbs 130mph) 400 AA A $135.00
  37. Pirelli P6 Four Seasons P225/55R16 95V (1521lbs 149mph) 400 A A $135.00
  38. Bridgestone Turanza Serenity P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 740 A A $137.00
  39. Continental ContiProContact P225/55R16 95V (1521lbs 149mph) 400 AA A $137.00
  40. BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 P225/55ZR16 95Y (1521lbs x) 300 AA A $141.00
  41. Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 400 A A $141.00
  42. Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) $144.00
  43. Bridgestone Potenza RE040 P225/55R16 94V (1477lbs 149mph) 140 A A $148.00
  44. Continental ContiTouringContact CH95 P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 360 A A $148.00
  45. Bridgestone Turanza Serenity P225/55R16 95V (1521lbs 149mph) 440 AA A $153.00
  46. Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 740 A B $154.00
  47. Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs 130mph) 300 A A $157.00
  48. Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 P225/55ZR16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 240 A A $170.00\
  49. Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus P225/55R16 95H (1521lbs, 130mph) 400/A/A $185
  50. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus P225/55ZR16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 500 AA A $185.00
  51. Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P225/55R16 95V (1521lbs 149mph) 300 A A $191.00
  52. Michelin Primacy HP P225/55R16 99W (1709lbs 168mph) 240 A A $193.00
  53. Michelin Primacy HP P225/55R16 95Y (1521lbs x) 240 A A $193.00
  54. Pirelli Cinturato P7 P225/55R16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 260 A A $200.00
  55. Pirelli Cinturato P7 P225/55R16 99W (1709lbs 168mph) 260 AA A $210.00
  56. Pirelli Cinturato P7 P225/55R16 99Y (1709lbs 186mph) 260 AA A $229.00
  57. Pirelli P6000 P225/55ZR16 95W (1521lbs 168mph) 180 A A $239.00
Old 08-31-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgreco View Post

I replaced a set of New Continental Extreme Contact DWS's with these tires after only 1000 miles, and got exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a balanced combination of sporty driving response and performance with the benefits of an All-Season tire. The Continental's were too soft, flat spotted in less than an hour, and were definitely not responsive when cornering. The only thing the Continental's had over these Michelin's were quietness. The Michelin's are much quieter than the original Dunlop Run Flats, but not nearly as quiet as the Continentals. I chose spirited driving enjoyment and performance over quietness. If you are like me and are trying to decide between the Conti DWS and the Pilot Sport A/S Plus, go with Michelin, you'll enjoy driving on them much more. The Continental's were too tame, and the flat spotting was completely unbearable - it made driving my car boring and annoying. The Michelin's make driving exciting like it should be.
+1!
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires are by far THE best tire I have ever driven on.
Amazing tires!

For someone like BBee, I would think the Bridgestone Serenity or the Michelin Mkmx would be best...

Last edited by Jason5driver; 08-31-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Continental DWS is a great tire.
>'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48