Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-25-2016, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 99 BMW 540iA
New E39 Owner...again

Hey guys,

Just got another e39! I use to own a 99 540iA sport a few years ago and got rid of it. Missed it alot so i ended up picking up another one a couple days ago.

2000 BMW 540i Sport 6 speed with 130k miles.

It's in pretty great shape for the most part. Has a few issues here and there that I need to take car of, here's a list of the things. If you know any links to some fixe's and things I can do myself as well recomendation's on parts to use and websites to go to for the best bargain I would really appreciate it.

-Clutch slips a little bit ( most likely will go with an oem clutch replacement kit)

-LED angel eyes have that "ghost effect" at start up, they blink a few times. ( I hear a relay will fix that ??? )

-LED license plate light blinks as well.

-Exhaust tab needs to get welded. Will have that take taken car of in the next few days.

-need an oem fog light bulb.

-REAR seat wont lock in place. Looks like the original owner replaced the seats to the black/red leather seats and the back of the back seat wont lock in place. I believe the original ones couldnt fold down because i dont see a hole in the rear wall. but these ones fold down but I can click it back in. How can i fix that ?

-Heated Seats dont work (the light for the heated seats button doesnt light up when you push it in)
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2016, 10:44 AM
RIP #9

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Congrats on returning to the cult- I mean, the world of E39 ownership!

Ditch the CDV as soon as possible, if you haven't already. A lightweight flywheel with a non-SAC would be a great choice over the OEM clutch and DMF too.

As for the fold-down seats, in all likelihood you are missing parts from this RealOEM diagram. The non-fold-down seats are bolted to the rear bulkhead, so there is no hardware for the fold-down seats to click into.

Good luck!
Old 11-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Fog light bulb: try the dealer.

Blinking lights: There are no relays. All external lights are controlled by the light control module. You need a device for the LEDs that will fix the blinking. The LCM does not like LED bulbs.

As Hockey mentions, remove the clutch delay valve before you condemn the clutch. https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6562.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 11-25-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:34 PM

Why do you recommend an aftermarket clutch and flywheel ? And what brand do you recommend ?
Old 11-25-2016, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Fog light bulb: try the dealer.

Blinking lights: There are no relays. All external lights are controlled by the light control module. You need a device for the LEDs that will fix the blinking. The LCM does not like LED bulbs.

As Hockey mentions, remove the clutch delay valve before you condemn the clutch. https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6562.
Re these lights you might need to put a resistor or two in parallel to the LED as they draw much less power to operate than the original light.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2016, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i E39
This is from another post.
Here is what I did do fix the flicker in my license plate... (scroll down to see my post)

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...+license+plate

Last edited by jmy60; 11-25-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:48 AM
RIP #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by madboosted View Post
Why do you recommend an aftermarket clutch and flywheel ? And what brand do you recommend ?
Burning2nd said that there is no reason not to run a lightweight flywheel in the E39. I believe him, he has a ton of experience and either does or used to make a living fixing these things.

I think SACs are garbage. I have driven other cars with traditional clutch pressure plates, and the feel/response of those clutches is so much better.

TTV Racing has a twin-plate option as well as a conversion kit to the E36 M3 traditional clutch.

UUC Motorwerks has some interesting offerings, too. Their 8-series clutch conversion/LWFW is extremely expensive, though.

JB Racing also makes a LWFW, but it is designed to accept the stock non-SAC. I think most, if not all, aftermarket clutches designed with OE fitment will have the self-adjusting pressure plate.

Last edited by TheHockeytowner; 11-26-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Glutton for punishment

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Only reason to put back the DMF is no rattling noise.
I replaced my stock assembly with an aftermarket clutch and flywheel that was recommended here. The action and feel is perfect. BUT, sitting at idle the damn thing sounds like a tractor until you depress the clutch.

I'd probably still do it all over again as I'm not interested in dropping that sort of coin for a DMF
Old 11-26-2016, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: E39
Check out this E39 channel on YouTube for some more DIY guides!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd0...XbkR0ap6uzX7yA
Old 11-26-2016, 09:52 AM

Thank's guys for all this useful information. I work 70 hours a week and tuesday is my only day off so I'll try to fix all the light issues then.

As for a clutch, this is my daily so whatever I get I want to make sure It's comfortable to drive with and not loud. I've also noticed that a lot of the performance clutches are ridiculously expensive and I dont want to drop a ton of money into it. I'll look more into some of the ones you guys suggested.

Def. will be checking out that youtube channel tonight when I get home from work. I'll also attach a couple pictures later so you can see my new love
Old 11-26-2016, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: E30, E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
Only reason to put back the DMF is no rattling noise.
I replaced my stock assembly with an aftermarket clutch and flywheel that was recommended here. The action and feel is perfect. BUT, sitting at idle the damn thing sounds like a tractor until you depress the clutch
Similar experience here. When my DMF died, I was recommended the cheaper option of a single mass flywheel. This resulted in some gearbox chatter in neutral. A louder exhaust might drown it out, or you probably wouldn't notice if you always have music playing. But for me, the noise was enough that I'd be reluctant to do a single mass again, even though replacement DMFs cost a fortune

Random musings: The E30 has a single mass flywheel and neutral chatter isn't a problem in it. So I wonder why the E39 needs a DMF to avoid chatter... Maybe the later gearboxes are chatter-prone? Or maybe it's just that the E39 is quieter overall?
Old 11-26-2016, 08:09 PM
RIP #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpot_simon View Post
So I wonder why the E39 needs a DMF to avoid chatter... Maybe the later gearboxes are chatter-prone? Or maybe it's just that the E39 is quieter overall?
I've seen a lot of aftermarket SMFs with solid hub clutch disks. Did yours have a solid hub or a sprung hub?
Old 11-27-2016, 02:48 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHockeytowner View Post
Burning2nd said that there is no reason not to run a lightweight flywheel in the E39. I believe him, he has a ton of experience and either does or used to make a living fixing these things.

I think SACs are garbage. I have driven other cars with traditional clutch pressure plates, and the feel/response of those clutches is so much better.

TTV Racing has a twin-plate option as well as a conversion kit to the E36 M3 traditional clutch.

UUC Motorwerks has some interesting offerings, too. Their 8-series clutch conversion/LWFW is extremely expensive, though.

JB Racing also makes a LWFW, but it is designed to accept the stock non-SAC. I think most, if not all, aftermarket clutches designed with OE fitment will have the self-adjusting pressure plate.
I use to run unorthodox Aluminum racing flywheels... They where so cool because the mating surface that the clutch would actually ride on.. bolts on with flat head torx or hex bolts, so when you go to replace your clutch, you just order that new mating surface bolt it on and new clutch off you go But they dont make anything for us ;(

clutch chatter happens on every clutch vehicle *90% of this comes from whos driving it and how its broken in those first few hundred miles

but a lightened flywheel will give you a much snapper response, a lighter shift

at the end of the day... Bmw's Duel mass flywheel is strictly for luxury, Its because people dont want to hear, or feel the car....

15486372<-----

Last edited by Burning2nd; 11-27-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:37 AM

Mein Auto: E30, E39
Quote:
I've seen a lot of aftermarket SMFs with solid hub clutch disks. Did yours have a solid hub or a sprung hub?
Ahh, good point. Yeah, the Gripforce has a solid hub.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:10 AM
Smiling from gear to gear

Mein Auto: '03 540i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by madboosted View Post
Thank's guys for all this useful information. I work 70 hours a week and tuesday is my only day off so I'll try to fix all the light issues then.

As for a clutch, this is my daily so whatever I get I want to make sure It's comfortable to drive with and not loud. I've also noticed that a lot of the performance clutches are ridiculously expensive and I dont want to drop a ton of money into it. I'll look more into some of the ones you guys suggested.

Def. will be checking out that youtube channel tonight when I get home from work. I'll also attach a couple pictures later so you can see my new love
I recently replaced my clutch and flywheel with a single mass flywheel from TTV and stock M5 clutch. $450 for the flywheel and another $215 for the clutch from RockAuto. I did a lot of research and I don't think you'll find a bigger bang for your buck.

I was worried about going to an unsprung clutch set up, but it's actually very easy to drive. Chatter is noticeable, mostly on low RPM load. I am planning on switching transmission oil for curiosity sake, but I've really not been bothered by the noise. It's a couple pounds heavier than the aluminum set ups out there, so I would venture a guess it's slightly quieter than those options and is much cheaper.

I sort of documented it here - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...811&highlight=
Old 11-27-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:

That conversion is for M60/M62 swaps, you would need to have an e36 transmission.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:45 PM
RIP #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCrosse540i6 View Post
That conversion is for M60/M62 swaps, you would need to have an e36 transmission.
My bad :X
Old 11-28-2016, 02:28 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCrosse540i6 View Post
I was worried about going to an unsprung clutch set up,
Im not sure if you bought a unsprung clutch or just a m5 clutch... But i can assure you

you will get less then 10k mile out of a real unsprung clutch.. there is no engagement. its either on or off

15486372<-----
Old 11-28-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
Im not sure if you bought a unsprung clutch or just a m5 clutch... But i can assure you

you will get less then 10k mile out of a real unsprung clutch.. there is no engagement. its either on or off
"Unsprung set up" was the key there. OEM disks are unsprung, I replaced the dual mass flywheel with a single mass.

I can guarantee you I'll be getting much more than 10k out of it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search