Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 AM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
2009 5 Series and 6 Series iDrive

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. We want to clear up some confusion that appears to exist regarding iDrive. You may have noticed in the "build your own" section of BMWUSA.com or in some pictures posted on forums, that the new iDrive controller and buttons will be installed in the 2009 model year 5 Series and 6 Series. The software and functionality of the iDrive, however, will remain unchanged from the 2008 Model Year in these vehicles. In Model Year 2009, the 1 Series, 3 Series and 7 Series will be equipped with the new version of iDrive. We hope this answers any questions that you may have had regarding the iDrive in the 5 Series and 6 Series. As always, if you have any questions, please contact us at 800-831-1117 or via email at customer.relations@bmwusa.com.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sophisto/Oyster
thank you for the clarification
Old 09-29-2008, 09:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkens View Post
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. We want to clear up some confusion that appears to exist regarding iDrive. You may have noticed in the "build your own" section of BMWUSA.com or in some pictures posted on forums, that the new iDrive controller and buttons will be installed in the 2009 model year 5 Series and 6 Series. The software and functionality of the iDrive, however, will remain unchanged from the 2008 Model Year in these vehicles. In Model Year 2009, the 1 Series, 3 Series and 7 Series will be equipped with the new version of iDrive. We hope this answers any questions that you may have had regarding the iDrive in the 5 Series and 6 Series. As always, if you have any questions, please contact us at 800-831-1117 or via email at customer.relations@bmwusa.com.
If thats the case, what kind of incentive will be on the MY 2009 5 series to make people want to purchase them ?
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: M3, Jeep SRT8 M5 on order
how about the M5 & M6? BMWAG stated that the M3, M5 & M6 will get the new Idrive and nav at the end of July and was also reiterated from a Paris press-release. it also stated sometime in Autumn that the 5 &6 series will get the new idrive and nav but not from Sep production.

thanks,

Andrew
Old 09-29-2008, 03:57 PM
F e s t S p o n s o r

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
From what various training seminars have stated the New I-Drive is going to be in the 2010 5 Series, which is set to come out late in 09. I believe that one.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 6 series
New I drive for 6 series

I'm even more confused now. The 2009 6 series bro which is posted on the BMW USA website shows the new I drive in the car. What is the reason why BMW didnt put in include in the 09 model, but choose to include in the 09 3 series? Not to include in a $90,000 car doesn't make much sense to me. BMW is terrible about releasing info.

Quote:
Old 10-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Here for life!!!

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Nothing to be confused about. It's quite clear it will not be included in the '09 5 and 6 series, despite the new controllers being present.

2008 535i Platinum Gray, Black Dakota, Dark Poplar - Sport Automatic Transmission
Premium Package |Sport Package
Heated Seats | Active Steering | Navigation | PDC | Logic 7 | Comfort Access | IPOD & USB | Highbeam Assist | Anthracite Headliner

Old 10-18-2008, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E61
Glad I just purchased a 2008
Old 10-25-2008, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 6 series
New I drive for 5 and 6 series

All,

Just spoke with my BMW sales agent and he told me that the new I drive with NAV will be in the 09 March production. I'm stationed overseas and will buy a 6 series as part of a BMW military program, my sales agent is in direct contact with Germany. He also told me that he has the email from BMW Germany to back up this fact. As soon as I get the email I will post. I called BMW customer relations and there said they haven't heard of it being included on the March production, but they that it's not a surprise since the new I drive dial is already installed in the 09 models, and they sometimes get late notice of factory changes.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: Acura,BMW,Honda
Red face

Quote:
I'm with BMW of North America, ***** We want to clear up some confusion that appears to exist regarding iDrive. You may have noticed in the "build your own" section of BMWUSA.com or in some pictures posted on forums, that the new iDrive controller and buttons will be installed in the 2009 model year 5 Series and 6 Series. The software and functionality of the iDrive, however, will remain unchanged from the 2008 Model Year in these vehicles. In Model Year 2009, the 1 Series, 3 Series and 7 Series will be equipped with the new version of iDrive. We hope this answers any questions that you may have had regarding the iDrive in the 5 Series and 6 Series. As always, if you have any questions, please contact us at 800-831-1117 or via email at customer.relations@bmwusa.com.
Check the thread by Elias -VA in E90
09 535i home at last
He has new 535i -09 Model pictures posted with new I Drive
How Come?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: Acura,BMW,Honda
I mean thread by Elias -VA in E60 not E90
How Come?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive 6MT
That's not the new iDrive. It's the old iDrive with a few extra buttons.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:41 PM
BMWCCA #351137

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster
It's the new iDrive controller w/buttons, but the Navi/iDrive Software and screen are still the prior generation.

2014 328i xDrive, 2000 M Roadster
Past: 2009 335i Vert, 2000 328iC, 1988 M5
Old 10-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starab View Post
I mean thread by Elias -VA in E60 not E90
How Come?

I'm sorry, but did you actually READ the original post in this thread? It says "...that the new iDrive controller and buttons will be installed in the 2009 model year 5 Series and 6 Series. The software and functionality of the iDrive, however, will remain unchanged from the 2008 Model Year in these vehicles."
Old 10-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: Looking
So if the contoller and buttons are there then it should just be a matter of a software upgrade in a year to bring the 09 up to 10 standards right? What a strange way to do business.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzy View Post
So if the contoller and buttons are there then it should just be a matter of a software upgrade in a year to bring the 09 up to 10 standards right? What a strange way to do business.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe it is just a software upgrade. I believe it is an entirely new computer system. The new idrive system does not have a dvd-rom for nav. It is a hard drive. you would not be able to upgrade by just upgrading the software. It would be an extensive hardware upgrade/complete overhaul.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
The new system has a 80GB hrd drive.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:45 PM

FYI

http://reviews.cnet.com/4326-10863_7...tag=mncol;page
Old 10-26-2008, 03:53 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/au...es&oref=slogin
You may need a subscription (free) to log in.

For iDrive 4.0, BMW Decides to Bring Back a Few Buttons

BMW's newest version of iDrive enables users to skip to functions more quickly.

By JOHN R. QUAIN
Published: October 23, 2008
ONE is hard pressed to recall an automotive feature that has been as relentlessly criticized as iDrive, the central control system in many BMWs. "Dizzying," "hindrance" and "knobsense" are some of the kinder words that have been used to describe the often bewildering computerized interface that operates the navigation, communications and entertainment systems.

The new control system includes a cluster of seven buttons around the control knob.
But just as relentlessly, BMW has clung to iDrive through seven years of adjustments, upgrades and tweaks. Now, in some cars that became available this month, the company is offering a new system with a revised interface that is easier to use and may be ready to shed its image as a symbol of technology run amok.

The iDrive system was originally intended to be a paragon of simplicity. BMW engineers said they thought the growing thicket of inscrutable buttons on car dashboards was confusing. So they eliminated many of the buttons and knobs and replaced them with iDrive's in-dash LCD display and a rotating, sliding, toggling knob on the center console, allowing drivers to select among myriad controls and settings. But as engineers sometimes do, they went too far.

The iDrive could (and still can) control everything from the temperature settings and the speed of the air-conditioning fan to the radio, navigation system and cellphone. The trouble was that it was frustratingly complex. In one version of the system, for example, one had to navigate multiple screens just to turn up the air-conditioning; storing a preferred radio station took up to five spins and clicks of the knob. And the on-screen menus, which started from an odd eight-point compass screen, used abstruse initials like "BC" (meaning board computer, used to access features like distance-to-empty and fuel economy) and "PDC pic" (meaning park distance control, which helps with parking).

As if all this weren't bad enough, earlier iDrives were so slow to respond that changing any setting was best performed while the car was parked.

But over the years, BMW throttled back on the iDrive, first adding buttons for climate controls, then a row of programmable buttons so that drivers could get directly to functions of their choice. Later, the eight-point compass menu was cut to four.

Now, with what is officially BMW's fourth version of iDrive, the company has abandoned the compass menu for a traditional vertical list and branching-tree structure. The iDrive control knob still sits ahead of the center armrest, but it is surrounded by a cluster of seven buttons. The voice recognition system has been tweaked with a faster computer processor and 80 gigabyte hard drive that lets iDrive switch more quickly between functions and controls.

This great-grandson of iDrive made its debut in revised 2009 3 Series and 1 Series models this month as a roughly $2,000 option (depending on the model). It will be standard in 7 Series models starting in the spring.

Sitting behind the wheel of a preproduction 2009 335d, I immediately felt more comfortable with the new iDrive. The crisp 8.8-inch display still eschews a touch screen (the company doesn't want drivers leaning forward to change settings) in favor of the control knob, but the knob works more consistently and simply with the on-screen menus. You spin the knob to go down a menu list, push it to select an item, or just shove it left to go back to the previous menu. (Now was that so hard?)

The result is that you can skip to functions you want more quickly. And a large round on-screen icon changes depending on the area you have highlighted.

For example, a musical note graphic pops up for the CD/Multimedia selection. This made it easier to tell where I was with a quick glance.

The seven buttons around the iDrive knob also made it easier to switch among functions. They give you direct access to the CD, main menu, phone, radio, navigation and options screens, in addition to the always helpful "back" button. The push buttons vary in shape so it's easy to learn them by feel.

Incidentally, for those who must always be tethered to an iPod, there's a connector for the music player in the armrest, and the iDrive will display an iPod's track, album and artist information on screen.

You can also rip CDs directly to the system's hard drive or copy digital music files from any device connected to the U.S.B. port in the glove compartment.

The copying function will continue even if you switch to the radio or the navigation function.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...drive-span.jpg
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/.../190-drive.jpg

Planning and following routes is also easier on the new iDrive. The screen can be split to show different views side by side, like a large overview map of an area next to a close-up perspective of your location. Thankfully, it can now also be set to show a single, simple view on the entire screen.

To enter addresses, rather than displaying a standard QWERTY keyboard layout, the alphanumeric characters are laid out around a rotary dial on the screen, which corresponds to the spinning of the iDrive controller. (Audi has been using a similar approach for several years.) I found this much quicker and easier to master than the usual on-screen keyboard.

The navigation system offers drivers three route choices: fastest, shortest and most fuel-efficient. Live traffic reports are delivered free over Clear Channel's FM service.

If twirling knobs and pushing buttons isn't for you, iDrive includes an improved voice-command system. Unlike the previous version, after pushing the voice control button you no longer have to wait for a beep to start speaking. And in addition to switching between functions, you can speak city and street names to plot a route or say the name of a contact to dial a Bluetooth-connected cellphone.

BMW owners will also be able to dig deeper into iDrive. For example, they can change programs that previously only dealers could adjust, like the automatic door-lock settings, as well as check information like the tire pressure. The version that will appear in the new 7 Series will also offer an on-screen owner's manual with instructional videos (which can be watched only when the car is stopped).

BMW has accumulated driver data that, it says, has helped to improve iDrive, including having about 600 people use a driving simulator to tweak this version of the system. In all, I did find that the new personalization and customization features allowed me to tailor the interface to suit my preferences, depending on whether I preferred push buttons, the spinning knob or voice commands.

The system may be easier to use, but has BMW finally eliminated the problem of driver distraction? Absolutely not. The voice-recognition software - like all such programs on the market - is far from perfect.

Moreover, there will always be drivers who will insist on plotting new routes or spinning through their iPod playlists while meandering up the Merritt Parkway. (Indeed, the fact that BMW will offer full Internet access and live TV in the European market, but not in the United States, says something about how much they trust us with this technology.) However, until some advanced voice-control system arrives that can comprehend every syllable without a mistake or hesitation, this may be the best BMW can achieve.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:22 PM
BMWCCA #351137

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster
There are a few inaccuracies in the article, which JSpira clarifies/corrects here:

http://stage.bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3629

And as a prior poster pointed out, the latest iDrive generation is more than a controller+software update. The latest version has a larger screen with higher resolution, hard drive instead of DVD, and most certainly the underlying processor and hardware is different as well.

2014 328i xDrive, 2000 M Roadster
Past: 2009 335i Vert, 2000 328iC, 1988 M5
Old 10-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Rocket Scientist

Mein Auto: 2010 M3 and 2011 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzy View Post
Nope. The current system, CCC, supports the new controller because the new controller is nothing more than button activated shortcuts or pre-sets. The new iDrive system, CIC, is entirely different hardware and thus software. There are major entertainment as well as Nav differences plus an entirely revamped menu structure and graphics.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Here is a compendium of my articles on iDrive and related technologies. The answers to almost any possible question should (ok, may) be in one of them:

Setting the record straight: we review the New York Times review of iDrive
October 2008

Google My BMW: MyInfo Test Drive
October 2008

BMW revamps BMW Assist, adds Google search capability
September 2008

Exclusive Test Drive + Videos: BMW's New iDrive System
September 2008

First Look: New 7 Series Tech – Exclusive Analysis
July 2008

Exclusive: BMW's new iDrive
May 2008

BMW iDrive 6 years in: The world’s best cockpit controller?
August 2007

Survey of iDrive Users
August 2007

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Now I think the iDrive is a must have for any new BMW.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:23 PM
F e s t S p o n s o r

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
Looks like the 09 535xi has the new I-drive in it. I was surprised to see it when we got our first one in. So much for that.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Motors View Post
Looks like the 09 535xi has the new I-drive in it. I was surprised to see it when we got our first one in. So much for that.
Sorry but it doesn´t.

Please refer to my list of articles above where I´m sure I covered that the 1er and 3er are the first to get the new iDrive followed by the 7er.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*