Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW Z4 3,0i
Z4: ...?Is it me or is it the clutch?...

I have a concerning question. I have a '04 z4 3.0i6speed , had it for several months. On rare occacion (maybe twice a month) when I release the cluth from a standstill, I get a jerky acceleration. This does not happen often, but I am troubled when it does. Is it maybe because I dont rev enough RPM's and the engine is stalling? I try to keep my eyes on the tach when I am going from a standstill, but always miss it when it does happen. My factory warranty runs out this October and would like to fix if it is mechanical and not me.. Any thoughts?

Ps. I have replaced the CDV valve!

Last edited by rlubocki; 09-30-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-30-2008, 07:22 AM
///M Practical

Mein Auto: 00 M Roadster
Do a search for CDV or clutch delay valve in this forum for plenty of information.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm
Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 AM

I bought it from you guys, and love the shifting!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i/530i
Odds are it's you if it's that rare. 1st gear is the most sensitive to clutch engagement. Wild guess...you're occasionally engaging the clutch with your heel off the floor or in a different position than normal.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:43 PM

Bimster, As a matter a fact I dont use my heel that often, is that a good practice to learn? I guess there is a better control of the pedal if heel is used...
Thank you for your help!

RL
Old 09-30-2008, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 M & E90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimster View Post
Odds are it's you if it's that rare. 1st gear is the most sensitive to clutch engagement. Wild guess...you're occasionally engaging the clutch with your heel off the floor or in a different position than normal.
I have been driving manuals for 30 years and I have never left my heel on the floor when clutching. I also have not really had a problem with the CDV but I do admit that the M is one of the most difficult cars I have ever driven to get the 1-2 shift smooth.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 PM

Smile

Richard, you learn something new every day, will make a habit with the heal situation, I should listen to my common sense... As to the shifting due to the valve, I had a replaced by dealer, and it makes a HUGE difference! Lots of people say that all M models do not have this problem...

Thanks for the lesson,
Robert
Old 09-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 TiAg/IR Z4MC LL93700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlubocki View Post
As to the shifting due to the valve, I had a replaced by dealer, and it makes a HUGE difference! Lots of people say that all M models do not have this problem..
Just curious, what did you replace it with, another BMW CDV? In my MC, I took Ron Stygar's approach and just took the CDV off. Shifting was so much better/easier afterwards... My previous M3 was hard to get into 2nd gear at times, but the MC is noticeably harder.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM

withaJ,

I bought midified CDV valve from http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm
They gutted the insides in the right fashion, and its like $35, I took it to my BMW dealer and they installed it for me free of charge. I feel a huge difference between 1st and second.
They tell you that you should have this valve, and modified will do the trick.

Robert
Old 10-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 M & E90 335
Quote:
Richard, you learn something new every day, will make a habit with the heal situation, I should listen to my common sense... As to the shifting due to the valve, I had a replaced by dealer, and it makes a HUGE difference! Lots of people say that all M models do not have this problem...

Thanks for the lesson,
Robert
And I have been thinking more about this. I don't think that it is possible to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor is you leave your heel on the floor. Unless you drag your heel on the floorboard. And you risk clutch longevity if you don't go all the way to the floor.

I can guarantee your clutch will last longer of you always go to the floor. As a matter of fact, the 30 years of manual driving was done in a 1973 MGB. If you look in this car you can see wear on the floor board where the clutch pedal lever has hit the floor. And the proof is in the pudding - I have replaced the clutch in this car only 3 times in 34 years of ownership. I doubt there are many people that can say they average over 11 years on a clutch.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:51 AM

Richard,

Thank you for great advise!! You know I have been using the heel method in the past 2 days I feel I have better control of the cluch engagement, and shifting. Smoother everything, and better experience! There is more to driving, especially with sports cars....

Thanks again!
Old 10-03-2008, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTS View Post
I have been driving manuals for 30 years and I have never left my heel on the floor when clutching. I also have not really had a problem with the CDV but I do admit that the M is one of the most difficult cars I have ever driven to get the 1-2 shift smooth.

Like Richard, I have never left my heel on the floor when depressing the clutch, and it amazes me that some people might be able to do this. I know I have small feet, but I can't imagine how big a foot it would take to fully depress the clutch with heel on floor.

Unlike Richard, I did the CDV replacement and found a huge difference in the ease and smoothness of the take off and then 1-2 shifts in my MCoupe.

EB
Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 AM
School of Bombs & Bullets

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 M Coupe
I just had the CDV replaced this week and what a difference. I never realized how much I actually had to consentrate on shifting before having this done. Now the shifts are smooth as butter, even the 1-2 shift is good for me.

2008 M Coupe
1984 Mini(importing to US in '09)
Old 10-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M coupe, 2007 M6
Quote:
withaJ,

I bought midified CDV valve from http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm
They gutted the insides in the right fashion, and its like $35, I took it to my BMW dealer and they installed it for me free of charge. I feel a huge difference between 1st and second.
They tell you that you should have this valve, and modified will do the trick.

Robert
Most people just remove the valve. I did this on my E39 M5 and now again on the Z4MC. What is the problem with just removing it, as opposed to installing the modified one.
2007 Alpine White Z4 M Coupe with RPI Scoop, BMC filter, ESS s/w, Ground Control Coil Over, Supersprint Sec 1, x-pipe and muffler, Rotora Calipers, APR performance GTC 200 adjustible rear wing, APR performance front dive planes, Varis front spoiler and front diffuser, Roll Bar, Cobra seats, Schroth 6 point harness, black painted roof and mirrors.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by deknight View Post
Most people just remove the valve. I did this on my E39 M5 and now again on the Z4MC. What is the problem with just removing it, as opposed to installing the modified one.
1) People (like me) don't want the dealership to see there was a delete in case there is a future need of warranty work on the drive train. This might help.

2) The line might get kinked if the line is not carefully reattached.

EB