Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: Volvo s40
2009 My BMW 328i XDrive SULEV - Question

Hey everyone!

Going to pull the trigger tomorrow or saturday on a new '09 328i XDrive, but I wanted to find out what the difference was between the SULEV and regular model?

I have been reading the forums and according to the Standard Equip 2009-BMW.pdf document found in the ask a dealer forum, there are two different 328xi cars for 09.

What is the difference between the regular 328xi and SULEV 328xi??? Are they the same price??

Thanks!

Randy

PS. I will be a first time BMW owner!!!!!!
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2008, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: '09 328i E90
The SULEV models are produced and sold in states which require compliance with the CARB standards for vehicle emissions. Basically, in CARB-following states (of which PA is one), a certain percentage of the models offered for sale by a manufacturer must comply with certain emissions levels (referred to as LEV, ULEV or SULEV). BMW has chosen to make some of their lower-end models (128s and 328s) in SULEV-variants for sale in these states. The SULEV-variants have a slightly different engine (N51 vs. the non-SULEV N52) with a reportedly minor performance reduction to comply with the required standards. This allows the car maker to continue to produce its higher-performance models (e.g. 335i, M3, et al.) free of CARB compliance concerns.

Effectively, if you order or purchase a new 128 or 328 from a BMW dealer in a CARB-compliant state, you'll probably be getting a SULEV version. There are some reports that not all vehicles in the CARB states are coming in with the N51.

There is more information and detail on the engine differences in this thread if you're interested.

--LR
Old 10-02-2008, 12:40 PM

Thanks! Any advantage as far as gas mileage goes of a SULEV vs a regular engine? Pennsylvania does not require SULEV, but if it really does not affect performance, I may be interested in ordering one (if possible)!

Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:52 PM

There is no listed impact on fuel economy, and any differences there would likely not be significant. According to the CARB site, Pennsylvania does require SULEV quotas, though some folks report that you can specifically order a non-SULEV model even in CARB states if you ask to do so.

--LR
Old 10-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ---
That thread above is the ultimate discussion (I was going to say do a search on N51 or N52, but the thread above is better than a search). For most people, it isn't an issue - and I would be surprised if BMW actually gave you a choice. Its not like there is a check box on the order sheet.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:06 PM

From the discussion I had on the subject with my CA, the policy (at least here in WA) is that all 128 and 328 models are ordered as SULEV-variants, and the only way you can get a non-SULEV here would be to special-order it and explicitly state that you want a non-SULEV model. All of the 328s on their lot are SULEV, as are all of the incoming '09 328s on their order status sheet. It was not a concern for me, so the car on its way to me is a SULEV-variant with the N51.

--LR
Old 10-02-2008, 02:09 PM

Wow... lots of great information there! Thanks.

Now, the only question would be for a first time BMW leasee, should I try to order the SULEV N51 or the non SULEV N52?

If the non SULEV N52 offers better performance/reliability, then I assume I should probably get that one! Thoughts?