Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-03-2002, 10:41 AM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
iPod/Cassette Adapter install

Works really well. Even with the 2002 Nav screen, there is enough space to tuck the wire from a generic Radio Shack cassette adapter cleanly in the screen's "seam."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1093.jpg
Views:	1432
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	713  
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-03-2002, 10:44 AM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
I'm realizing that part of what makes these cars feel so solid is the malleable, flexible nature of much of the materials used... they absorb shocks and the compression/expansion from temperature variations. The material along the side of the shifter console was easily flexed with just some fingernail pressure to allow the wire to be tucked away neatly, all the way down to the cupholders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1095.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	714  
  #3  
Old 03-03-2002, 10:45 AM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Did I mention I love my iPod? :thumb:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1098.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	715  
  #4  
Old 03-03-2002, 10:47 AM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
And it sits nicely in the front cupholder, easily accessed by passenger or driver.

I might eventually get a cell-phone mount to hold it, but it doesn't really seem necessary.

Extreme tunage! :thumb:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1100.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	716  
__________________
2011 1M
2008 MCS
2002 325iT
  #5  
Old 03-03-2002, 12:20 PM
ict330xi ict330xi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ICT, Kansas
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 380
Mein Auto: 2011 528i, 2014 X5
Plaz, have you had your car long enough to have dust on your console? Nice rez on the camera! And thanks for the idea! I knew I shoulda got the nav!
  #6  
Old 03-03-2002, 12:35 PM
hantavirus hantavirus is offline
desmoquattro addict
Location: Oakland, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 55
Mein Auto: 1995 318ti, 2002 330Ci
nice job

Nice job, you can barely notice the wiring. Heard good things about iPod, but also heard that you need a Mac to use it. Is that true?
__________________
2002 330Ci
sapphire black/nat brown SP CWP BiX
UUC SS and swaybarbarians
  #7  
Old 03-03-2002, 12:54 PM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally posted by ict330xi
Plaz, have you had your car long enough to have dust on your console? Nice rez on the camera! And thanks for the idea! I knew I shoulda got the nav!
LOL! Yeah... couldn't even see the dust when I was in there... the flash made it all appear. That's L.A. for you... I washed the car on Friday, and by the evening yesterday, the whole car was covered with a layer of dust.

I have to get me one of those california car dusters.
__________________
2011 1M
2008 MCS
2002 325iT
  #8  
Old 03-03-2002, 12:57 PM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Re: nice job

Quote:
Originally posted by hantavirus
Nice job, you can barely notice the wiring. Heard good things about iPod, but also heard that you need a Mac to use it. Is that true?
There are people working on shareware/freeware Windows utilities -- I'm a Mac guy, so I'm not sure where those apps stand at this point. I'm sure they'll get it working eventually though.

The only interface the iPod has is FireWire, though, so you'd need that as well. (Transfers FAST!! About a song a second... about ten or fifteen seconds for a standard-length CD's worth of material encoded at 160k)
__________________
2011 1M
2008 MCS
2002 325iT
  #9  
Old 03-03-2002, 01:43 PM
punkman79 punkman79 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area, California
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: '02 325ci Jetblk/Blk'ette
hey plaz. thanks SOOOOOO much for those pics and the info. you are going to save me a bunch of money now. i THOUGHT i would have to get a trunk cd changer but I am convinced that I can hook up a MP3 CD player using the casette adapter now. that looks like a very clean install. how long did it take you? is the NAV screen motorized flip down or do you manually move it down to access the cassette deck? so there was enough room behind the screen to hold the wire huh. cooool. now my next dilemna is to whether keep my HK upgrade or get the Xenon's instead. I am on a budget and don't want to splurge on both. thanks again....
__________________
2002 325ci Jet Black/Black
HK, Nav
  #10  
Old 03-03-2002, 03:07 PM
SONET's Avatar
SONET SONET is offline
Parking Spot Maven
Location: HB, Calif.
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,831
Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2013 M3
I have seen those tape adapters before, but I have never used one nor do I quite understand how they work. Is there much loss in the quality of the sound that comes out of them, like tape vs. CD?

Also, does the NAV system have any sort of audio-in jacks in the back?

Clever idea!

--SONET

PS Speaking of Macs, do you use OSX? If so, do you experience problems posting to this forum using IE on OSX like I do?
  #11  
Old 03-03-2002, 06:38 PM
Imola Ed Imola Ed is offline
Where am I?
Location: Bay Area, Cali
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 963
Send a message via AIM to Imola Ed
Mein Auto: Imola Red M3
Quote:
Originally posted by SONET
PS Speaking of Macs, do you use OSX? If so, do you experience problems posting to this forum using IE on OSX like I do?
I use OS X all the time (it's what I do for a living!), and I've had no issues posting here. See, I'm doing it now!
__________________
  #12  
Old 03-03-2002, 07:48 PM
SONET's Avatar
SONET SONET is offline
Parking Spot Maven
Location: HB, Calif.
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,831
Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2013 M3
I should have been more specific - I can post here using OSX. I just can't use the stuff in the 'vB Code' section (bold, quote, etc.). What's up with that?

Otherwise OSX is great;I bought my laptop in anticipation of OSX last year instead of a Dell machine, and I'm glad I did. Nothing like having a terminial window running while having a nice GUI and app selection along with it. OSX is the only way to have all three at once without having to telnet/ssh to a *NIX box IMHO.

--SONET
  #13  
Old 03-03-2002, 10:21 PM
Imola Ed Imola Ed is offline
Where am I?
Location: Bay Area, Cali
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 963
Send a message via AIM to Imola Ed
Mein Auto: Imola Red M3
Quote:
Originally posted by SONET
I should have been more specific - I can post here using OSX. I just can't use the stuff in the 'vB Code' section (bold, quote, etc.). What's up with that?

Otherwise OSX is great;I bought my laptop in anticipation of OSX last year instead of a Dell machine, and I'm glad I did. Nothing like having a terminial window running while having a nice GUI and app selection along with it. OSX is the only way to have all three at once without having to telnet/ssh to a *NIX box IMHO.

--SONET
Hmm. Seems to work for me, though the dialog that comes up doesn't tell you what it wants. Bold Italics Large

I love being able to have all my favorite Mac apps and still have a BSD unix system underneath. You can download any standard distribution of anything like mysql or whatnot, and just compile it and go. It's totally cool!
__________________
  #14  
Old 03-03-2002, 10:43 PM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally posted by punkman79
hey plaz. thanks SOOOOOO much for those pics and the info. you are going to save me a bunch of money now. i THOUGHT i would have to get a trunk cd changer but I am convinced that I can hook up a MP3 CD player using the casette adapter now. that looks like a very clean install. how long did it take you? is the NAV screen motorized flip down or do you manually move it down to access the cassette deck? so there was enough room behind the screen to hold the wire huh. cooool. now my next dilemna is to whether keep my HK upgrade or get the Xenon's instead. I am on a budget and don't want to splurge on both. thanks again....
You're welcome. It took about ten minutes. The screen is motorized. Choose safety over sound quality, if necessary. Good luck!
__________________
2011 1M
2008 MCS
2002 325iT
  #15  
Old 03-03-2002, 10:48 PM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally posted by SONET
I have seen those tape adapters before, but I have never used one nor do I quite understand how they work. Is there much loss in the quality of the sound that comes out of them, like tape vs. CD?

Also, does the NAV system have any sort of audio-in jacks in the back?

Clever idea!

--SONET

PS Speaking of Macs, do you use OSX? If so, do you experience problems posting to this forum using IE on OSX like I do?
The sound is not ideal, but it sounds better to me than the little FM transmitters or modulators. Given that an MP3 is not of ideal quality to begin with, it works well enough. No jacks on the nav that I've seen.

I use OS X exclusively at home, and have no problems using OmniWeb.
__________________
2011 1M
2008 MCS
2002 325iT
  #16  
Old 03-03-2002, 10:52 PM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally posted by Imola Ed


Hmm. Seems to work for me, though the dialog that comes up doesn't tell you what it wants. Bold Italics Large

I love being able to have all my favorite Mac apps and still have a BSD unix system underneath. You can download any standard distribution of anything like mysql or whatnot, and just compile it and go. It's totally cool!
It is amazing. Having used NeXT machines back in the day, it's gratifying to see where the technology has been taken. It's an awesome, stable, elegant OS.
__________________
2011 1M
2008 MCS
2002 325iT
  #17  
Old 03-04-2002, 10:25 AM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally posted by jag3er
I'm ready to jump to the OSX but since I have an old G3 tower, the OSX 10.0.3 seems very slow on my machine. I can't really justify getting a new Mac since the old one still does everything I want it to do.
The newer updates really speed things up... if you already have it installed, run the software update preferences panel... and update the system. It really makes a difference, especially on non-G4 machines.

I picked up an XLR8 G4/500 ZIF CPU upgrade for my G3/400 "smurf" tower, and it runs at a very good clip now.
__________________
2011 1M
2008 MCS
2002 325iT
  #18  
Old 03-04-2002, 04:39 PM
Imola Ed Imola Ed is offline
Where am I?
Location: Bay Area, Cali
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 963
Send a message via AIM to Imola Ed
Mein Auto: Imola Red M3
Hey Plaz!

Quote:
Originally posted by Plaz 330i


It is amazing. Having used NeXT machines back in the day, it's gratifying to see where the technology has been taken. It's an awesome, stable, elegant OS.
Here's a pic to bring back memories. I turned it on just to take this picture...

__________________
  #19  
Old 03-04-2002, 04:51 PM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Re: Hey Plaz!

Quote:
Originally posted by Imola Ed


Here's a pic to bring back memories. I turned it on just to take this picture...

Nice! That's an '030 cube, too, isn't it? Not even a "turbo" '040 pizzabox!

Ahhh....

I'd love to have NeXT-like tear-off menus in OS X, but I fear the "the menu bar must always, always, invariably be at the top" UI dogma from hardcore old-school Mac DTS guys will prevail.

Nice that the Dock can be moved around these days, though. :thumb:

I'm sure you guys still have an Open-step-esque "OS X on Intel" skunkworks project going on somewhere in the bowels of Infinite Loop, too... but I won't ask you about that.

The other thing I miss about the old NeXT systems is NX-Hosting. Not sure if the demise of Display Postscript killed that... can Quartz do that nifty trick? I have yet to see any real elegant implementation like that since NeXT boxes... the program running on one machine, while the interface runs on another. Sweet stuff.

I'm both jealous of you, and not... I think I would LOVE to work for Apple, and to channel my Apple-passion to further the cause of their great technology, but at the same time, I bet it gets pretty freaking nuts there at times. The endless Steve anecdotes definitely make one pause when considering...

But nonetheless, it would be my dream job.
__________________
2011 1M
2008 MCS
2002 325iT
  #20  
Old 03-04-2002, 08:14 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Plaz, check this out: IPOD Install

When you want to kick your IPOD install up a notch, give this a roll... I bet you get much better sound quality since you're not losing anything going through a tape converter.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
  #21  
Old 03-05-2002, 08:35 AM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally posted by alee
Plaz, check this out: IPOD Install

When you want to kick your IPOD install up a notch, give this a roll... I bet you get much better sound quality since you're not losing anything going through a tape converter.
Sweet! Thanks, Al!

I predict I will do this in a couple of months!
__________________
2011 1M
2008 MCS
2002 325iT
  #22  
Old 03-05-2002, 08:38 AM
Plaz's Avatar
Plaz Plaz is offline
•••••••
Location: Churzee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,111
Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Re: Plaz, need your help

Quote:
Originally posted by jag3er
What are your settings when you play the iPod in car? Dolby, volume in car and also iPod volume. I just bought a new tape adapter and I'm getting the same low volume, no bass sound. According to Apple, the iPod should be set to 1/2 volume and no Dolby setting. I did that and I can barely hear the iPod at normal volume while the BMW demo cassette plays nice and loud.

I changed the Pod's volume to max and I could hear it through the car stereo but it was really bad quality, high treble, no bass.

I have a feeling the Pod is defective. My friend's Nomad plays just fine, like listening to a CD. I do not get this.
I usually have the iPod at about 60-70% volume. Any louder than that, and it starts to distort. At that level, it's only slightly quieter than the radio or CD changer. No problem with bass response... or at least no problem that's not inherent to the MP3 compression. I did nothing with dolby... don't even know if it's a selectable option.

Hope this helps!
__________________
2011 1M
2008 MCS
2002 325iT
  #23  
Old 03-05-2002, 10:57 PM
Imola Ed Imola Ed is offline
Where am I?
Location: Bay Area, Cali
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 963
Send a message via AIM to Imola Ed
Mein Auto: Imola Red M3
It would be really cool if we could get some black plastics for the iPod to make it match the interior better...
__________________
 

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strut Brace Install - Imp. Steps For Alee and Others! Ack Do-It-Yourself H.Q. 51 10-15-2006 07:13 AM
Latest Info on the Aux-In adapter OBS3SSION 3 Series / 4 Series 28 03-11-2003 06:24 PM
Roll Bar Install - The Final Chapter (part 1) Dadofour E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) 1 02-12-2003 06:50 PM
StreetPilot III install in my car... SilverBmw Off-Topic 0 09-19-2002 09:36 PM
Sony 10disc MP3 changer install rawskyb 3 Series / 4 Series 4 08-04-2002 01:59 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms