Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition

BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Have an interest in BMW motorcycles or just motorcycles in general? Discuss the line of BMW motorcycles and how they may compare to the rest of the competition in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 10-30-2008, 08:47 AM
jetter2's Avatar
jetter2 jetter2 is offline
insert something witty...
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,701
Send a message via AIM to jetter2
Mein Auto: 05 ZHP CPE
My next bike will be a cruiser..I had a CBR and loved it but ended up selling it in a few years. My next bike will probably end up bieing a cruiser... I'd like to have just as a nice cruiser like that harley you guys posted...that thing is sick!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag-zhp View Post
jetter2 for president
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 AM
biglovemp's Avatar
biglovemp biglovemp is offline
YeS...
Location: NeW yOrK
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,375
Mein Auto: 02' 530/08' SuZuKi GsX-r
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetter2 View Post
My next bike will be a cruiser..I had a CBR and loved it but ended up selling it in a few years. My next bike will probably end up bieing a cruiser... I'd like to have just as a nice cruiser like that harley you guys posted...that thing is sick!
I ride a sports bike and i also love Harleys and cruisers... Eventually i see myself getting a Harley.... BUT... I will always have my sports bike as well.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
AndrewZ's Avatar
AndrewZ AndrewZ is offline
Ones and Zeros
Location: In Between Dreams
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10,989
Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
Are Ninja's good first timer bikes?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 PM
jvr826's Avatar
jvr826 jvr826 is offline
Is it Trackday yet?
Location: In the woods. Santa Cruz County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,882
Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThatSam View Post
Are Ninja's good first timer bikes?
I'd say yes unless it's a big motor'd temptation to be bad kind of Ninja. A 650 is probably plenty of bike for someone with little riding experience.

IMO, proper fit is important so you're comfortable on it when stopped and when in motion.
__________________
Jeff R.
Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Come Join Us!


"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Double-S Double-S is offline
Banned
Location: .
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 23,555
Mein Auto: .
.

Last edited by Double-S; 05-07-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Was ordered to...
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-07-2009, 02:27 PM
biglovemp's Avatar
biglovemp biglovemp is offline
YeS...
Location: NeW yOrK
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,375
Mein Auto: 02' 530/08' SuZuKi GsX-r
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThatSam View Post
Are Ninja's good first timer bikes?
Any sport bike is going to be more or less the same. I say go with a 600 for starters. If you really want something slower than usual go with a ninja 250 which are actually VERY nice bikes but you will def get tired of it quick.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-07-2009, 03:11 PM
AndrewZ's Avatar
AndrewZ AndrewZ is offline
Ones and Zeros
Location: In Between Dreams
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10,989
Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
Thanks guys!

Something along these lines?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...156054873.html
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-07-2009, 03:19 PM
MMMM_ERT's Avatar
MMMM_ERT MMMM_ERT is offline
Number 12 of 5 or 6
Location: In the light
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,595
Mein Auto: Non-green vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThatSam View Post
Are Ninja's good first timer bikes?
I would suggest taking a motorcycle safety program and practice on back roads.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
This thread just got mmmerted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Hey, hey, if it weren't for MMMM_ERT Off Topic would totally suck.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Ryan...'s Avatar
Ryan... Ryan... is offline
Please, call me Brian.
Location: Madison WI
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,603
Mein Auto: Ducati 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThatSam View Post
Thanks guys!

Something along these lines?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...156054873.html

You'd get great fuel economy, but like they said, you'll get sick of a 250 very quickly! I would look for a 600 in that price range. It won't throw you back in your seat, but you can also get up and move when you need to. My first bike was a 91 Honda CBR 600, great bike to learn on IMO.

To add to the thread, I'm picking up a bike this weekend, a Buell Firebolt Xb12R, I just have to settle on a color
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
HW's Avatar
HW HW is online now
lurking
Location: was from vancouver, canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 18,059
Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM_ERT View Post
I grew up racing motocross....i've done a little street riding. I'm not a big fan of being on the freeway.

I test drove a Can-Am Spyder today...



.....INteresting and fun...but not like riding a motorcyle at all.

A local dealer offered test rides. No motorcycle license needed in California.

It was a real kick to drive in a straight line and it hauled ass...but in the turns (especially the freeway connector) it felt as if it was trying to straighten out on you...even when you lean your body way over. Perhaps it would just take time to learn the riding style.

ON the freeway...it felt very stable and more "safe" than a two-wheeled bike. I hit about 80 on the freeway for a moment. Felt very strong.

http://spyder.brp.com/
i saw one on the 401 2 weeks ago. looked interesting.... buy canadian!
__________________
2010 Acura TSX manual
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 05-07-2009, 03:54 PM
biglovemp's Avatar
biglovemp biglovemp is offline
YeS...
Location: NeW yOrK
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,375
Mein Auto: 02' 530/08' SuZuKi GsX-r
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM_ERT View Post
I would suggest taking a motorcycle safety program and practice on back roads.
+100000000000000000000000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryans E39 View Post
You'd get great fuel economy, but like they said, you'll get sick of a 250 very quickly! I would look for a 600 in that price range. It won't throw you back in your seat, but you can also get up and move when you need to. My first bike was a 91 Honda CBR 600, great bike to learn on IMO.

To add to the thread, I'm picking up a bike this weekend, a Buell Firebolt Xb12R, I just have to settle on a color
My first bike was also a 600 and i wouldnt have changed that. The thing is that throwing 1k into a 250 just to learn and play around with is not as bad as throwing 3-6k on a used 600 then dropping it the first week of having it.

Prop, dont spend more than 1k on a 250 because as i mentioned and so has Ryan, YOU WILL get tired of it quickly. You will probably be ready for a 600 before the summer is even over. So its really on you.

I kicked out 4k on my first bike and it was a 600. It got stolen within a year of having it and i did not have full coverage.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Ryan...'s Avatar
Ryan... Ryan... is offline
Please, call me Brian.
Location: Madison WI
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,603
Mein Auto: Ducati 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglovemp View Post
+100000000000000000000000



My first bike was also a 600 and i wouldnt have changed that. The thing is that throwing 1k into a 250 just to learn and play around with is not as bad as throwing 3-6k on a used 600 then dropping it the first week of having it.

Prop, dont spend more than 1k on a 250 because as i mentioned and so has Ryan, YOU WILL get tired of it quickly. You will probably be ready for a 600 before the summer is even over. So its really on you.

I kicked out 4k on my first bike and it was a 600. It got stolen within a year of having it and i did not have full coverage.
I actually paid $1000 for my 600, had some scratches on the fairings but oh well, it was a starter bike and it ran well!
There are some great deals out there right now, keep shopping (shopping is half the fun)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-07-2009, 05:18 PM
SportBikeGirl SportBikeGirl is offline
Banned
Location: up north
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,788
Mein Auto: Z4M/ GSXR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM_ERT View Post
I would suggest taking a motorcycle safety program and practice on back roads.
Absolutely and it will also help lower the insurance cost.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-07-2009, 05:21 PM
AndrewZ's Avatar
AndrewZ AndrewZ is offline
Ones and Zeros
Location: In Between Dreams
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10,989
Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM_ERT View Post
I would suggest taking a motorcycle safety program and practice on back roads.
Nah, I was just thinking of allowing Darwin to teach me.



The motorcycle saftey programs are offered through CHP, right?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-07-2009, 05:28 PM
MMMM_ERT's Avatar
MMMM_ERT MMMM_ERT is offline
Number 12 of 5 or 6
Location: In the light
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,595
Mein Auto: Non-green vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThatSam View Post
Nah, I was just thinking of allowing Darwin to teach me.



The motorcycle saftey programs are offered through CHP, right?

You and the guy defending "ghost riding" should hang out then...


Heres the class I took...


http://www.ca-msp.org/
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
This thread just got mmmerted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Hey, hey, if it weren't for MMMM_ERT Off Topic would totally suck.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-07-2009, 06:17 PM
biglovemp's Avatar
biglovemp biglovemp is offline
YeS...
Location: NeW yOrK
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,375
Mein Auto: 02' 530/08' SuZuKi GsX-r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryans E39 View Post
I actually paid $1000 for my 600, had some scratches on the fairings but oh well, it was a starter bike and it ran well!
There are some great deals out there right now, keep shopping (shopping is half the fun)
Around where i live there is no shot at getting ANY 600 for around 1k unless its stolen.
Srsly though if you could find a 600 for less than 2k then go for it.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-07-2009, 06:27 PM
AndrewZ's Avatar
AndrewZ AndrewZ is offline
Ones and Zeros
Location: In Between Dreams
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10,989
Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM_ERT View Post
You and the guy defending "ghost riding" should hang out then...


Heres the class I took...


http://www.ca-msp.org/


How much is insurance on these things? Who supplies the best insurance?

I'm such a noob.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Double-S Double-S is offline
Banned
Location: .
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 23,555
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThatSam View Post


How much is insurance on these things? Who supplies the best insurance?

I'm such a noob.
Motorcycles are dangerous.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-07-2009, 06:34 PM
BerkleyBMW's Avatar
BerkleyBMW BerkleyBMW is offline
Can't control my fingers
Location: .
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15,162
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-S View Post
Motorcycles are dangerous.
It's a good thing SBG isn't planning to get one.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-07-2009, 06:42 PM
AndrewZ's Avatar
AndrewZ AndrewZ is offline
Ones and Zeros
Location: In Between Dreams
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10,989
Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-S View Post
Motorcycles are dangerous.
Yes, but danger comes cheap.

I pay $85 a month for car insurance, plus $20 a week in gas. That's just for one car.

Plus, I don't think I'll have the guts to ride on the freeway. It would just take 2 long streets for me to get to work.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 05-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Lanc3r Lanc3r is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 0
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-S View Post
Motorcycles are dangerous.
So are women.

Give me yours.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-07-2009, 07:06 PM
MMMM_ERT's Avatar
MMMM_ERT MMMM_ERT is offline
Number 12 of 5 or 6
Location: In the light
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,595
Mein Auto: Non-green vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThatSam View Post


How much is insurance on these things? Who supplies the best insurance?

I'm such a noob.

depends on the bike and the coverage. Call Progressive...they seem to be popular with riders.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
This thread just got mmmerted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Hey, hey, if it weren't for MMMM_ERT Off Topic would totally suck.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-07-2009, 07:07 PM
MMMM_ERT's Avatar
MMMM_ERT MMMM_ERT is offline
Number 12 of 5 or 6
Location: In the light
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,595
Mein Auto: Non-green vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThatSam View Post
It would just take 2 long streets for me to get to work.
As much as I hate riding on the freeway...you're more likely to get killed on surface streets.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
This thread just got mmmerted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Hey, hey, if it weren't for MMMM_ERT Off Topic would totally suck.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-07-2009, 07:08 PM
SportBikeGirl SportBikeGirl is offline
Banned
Location: up north
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,788
Mein Auto: Z4M/ GSXR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanc3r View Post
So are women.

Give me yours.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-07-2009, 07:09 PM
///M3lissa's Avatar
///M3lissa ///M3lissa is offline
\m/ (>.<) \m/
Location: In the shade
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,030
Mein Auto: Duh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThatSam View Post


How much is insurance on these things? Who supplies the best insurance?

I'm such a noob.
Contact VTRWeasel.. he has a *great* motorcycle insurance hookup. He's in the Central Valley, if I remember right... but I think he should be able to hook you up in SoCal. Also if I remember right, I think he got my policy through Progressive at a substantial savings compared to all the other quotes I received.

Make sure you take the Motorcycle Safety course.. Its really, really good
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms