Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 06-13-2003, 06:03 AM
both feet in

Send a message via AIM to SpaceMonkey
Mein Auto: '02 ZJC
Question E30 M3 vs 911

Okay, after yet another stick vs. auto discussion, I figured why not another porsche vs bmw discussion.

What are the pros/cons between getting an E30 M3 vs. a late-80's 911? This would be as a second car, mainly for autocross/track/fun/tinkering. I'm a long ways off from actually getting a second car, but am curious.

Admittedly I don't really know too much about either. Just that I've always wanted a Porsche since I was a little kid, and after a few years of being a BMW owner (and getting a ride in an E30), I'm starting to lust after them too.

5sp, Sport, CWP, Xenon, Moonroof, ///M Steering Wheel, ///M Strut Brace, OEM Aluminum Pedals, Euro Storage Tray
VDO Gauges, GruppeM CAI, Shark Injector, UUC SwayBarbarians, UUC evo3 SSK & RK2, UUC TrannyMounts/Enforcers
Passport SR7 / ZR3 Radar, XM Satellite Radio, a/d/s sound, BBS RG-R 17x8 w/Bridgestone Potenza S-03 235/40ZR17
Ads by Google
Old 06-13-2003, 06:09 AM
Car Junkie

Mein Auto: '88 M3, Ex-'99 M3
Both cars are pretty cool. I went with the Bimmer because I wanted to learn high-performance driving on a traditional front-engine RWD platform, and because of the E30 M3's unique and very special history.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
sold: '99 M3 Coupe
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
(Support Vehicle)
Old 06-13-2003, 06:16 AM
both feet in

Quote:
Originally posted by Jetfire
Both cars are pretty cool. I went with the Bimmer because I wanted to learn high-performance driving on a traditional front-engine RWD platform, and because of the E30 M3's unique and very special history.
I'm tending to lean that way myself, for the same two reasons. But I still *lust* after that Porsche.

5sp, Sport, CWP, Xenon, Moonroof, ///M Steering Wheel, ///M Strut Brace, OEM Aluminum Pedals, Euro Storage Tray
VDO Gauges, GruppeM CAI, Shark Injector, UUC SwayBarbarians, UUC evo3 SSK & RK2, UUC TrannyMounts/Enforcers
Passport SR7 / ZR3 Radar, XM Satellite Radio, a/d/s sound, BBS RG-R 17x8 w/Bridgestone Potenza S-03 235/40ZR17
Old 06-13-2003, 07:20 AM
Car Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
I'm tending to lean that way myself, for the same two reasons. But I still *lust* after that Porsche.
I had similar thoughts myself, and for the same price as an E30 M3 in good shape, you can also buy a very nice 911.

I dunno, though...for me, there was just something about the E30 M3 that drew me to it. Enough, in fact, to make me sell my '99 M3 and buy a Jeep for daily "driving."

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

(Support Vehicle)
Old 06-13-2003, 07:44 AM
Old Timer

Mein Auto: Chevrolet
Quote:
Originally posted by Jetfire
hey jet,

is yours bored out to the 2.5 litre evo kit?

have been in the 2.3 (is this right?) engine'd e30m3 quite a bit. did not know how much low end people gain with the evo engine.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Topaz/Black '01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by pdz
hey jet,

is yours bored out to the 2.5 litre evo kit?

have been in the 2.3 (is this right?) engine'd e30m3 quite a bit. did not know how much low end people gain with the evo engine.
I thought that was a stroker kit, not an increase in bore.

Pauca sed matura. [Few but excellent.]
-- Gauss
Old 06-13-2003, 08:04 AM
Car Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by cenotaph
I thought that was a stroker kit, not an increase in bore.
It's both.

The guts of any 2.5L conversion kit are the crank and the pistons. All of the kits I've seen use the BMW 2.5L crank. The pistons vary from vendor to vendor; some will use 11.25:1 CR pistons, others back off a bit and go for 10.5, and of course you can specify your own compression if you so desire (and if you don't mind running on race gas). In any case, just about all of these kits will require you to bore your block. The stock 2.3L bore is 93.4mm and all of the pistons I've seen so far are 95mm. From what I've read, the block is robust enough to take the bigger bore.

The stock Evo3 engines had a bore of roughly 95mm and pistons with 10.2:1 or 10.3:1 compression, depending on who you ask. The reported increase in torque is dramatic.

Of course, I wouldn't know just yet. I'm still preparing to pull the engine. I have all of the tools, I just need to find some free time and take the plunge. Ought to be interesting. Once I determine what exactly must be done, it's time to decide which way to go.

The 2.5L conversion, of course, is high on the list. In terms of cost, it is not ultra-significantly higher than just rebuilding the engine with 2.3L parts. Some of the additional cost comes from boring the block, of course, and I could save money on a 2.3L rebuild by using used parts in good condition. Decisions, decisions...

Meanwhile, the autocross, track, and have-fun-driving seasons are all well under way.

'88 M3
Cosmos Black

(Support Vehicle)
Old 06-13-2003, 08:11 AM
Only here to produce CO2

Send a message via Yahoo to eric5150
Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.3 ; 1991 535i
Well - if you go with the Porsche, take up Stuka on his 'oversteer lessons'. Rear-engined Porsche cars are well-known for snap-overteer, and don't even think of lifting in a corner, you'll get the off-throttle oversteer. Very rewarding cars to drive, just remember you have an almost 60% weight bias BEHIND the rear wheels. That weight can come around very fast. The Front engine/rear drive of the BMW is much more forgiving, there's not the huge amount of polar inertia to deal with.

But, yes, Porsche's are gorgeous cars, real fun. Cost more to maintain, though.

As an added bonus, once you get to handle the oversteering nature of a Porsche, the BMW's will seem tame.

Eric

"Kyle, I will kick you in the nuts. Square in the nuts." Eric Cartman
Old 06-13-2003, 08:36 AM
Old Timer

Mein Auto: Chevrolet
thanks for the info. jetfire.

how much is a crated engine (if you could get one) versus all of that regrinding and rebuilding?
Old 06-13-2003, 08:41 AM
Car Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by pdz
thanks for the info. jetfire.

how much is a crated engine (if you could get one) versus all of that regrinding and rebuilding?
There really isn't a "crate engine" available that I know of. It may not even be possible to find a new-in-box 2.5L S14 overseas by now. You can find stock Evo3 blocks over there, though.

The closest thing to a crate engine would be paying a known builder to either rebuild my engine to 2.5L specs, or build one from scratch and sell it to me. As you might imagine, those prices are not kind. Most builders will port the heads at least mildly and go with more aggressive cams during the rebuild, which also add to the costs. A typical estimate for getting something like this done to an existing 2.3L engine would range from $6000 to $12000. Just the crankshaft, pistons, and related hardware generally run in the $2000+ area. A simple block bore costs roughly $400. These are all rough estimates, of course.

'88 M3
Cosmos Black

(Support Vehicle)
Old 06-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
I have had a visceral love of E30M3s for over a decade...
Old 06-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
An E30 M3 is a wonderful car. I don't have anything bad to say about them, other than they can be on the expensive side to maintain. They are excellent on the track and auto-X.

Older 911 (84-88) will be a blast on the track (faster, but harder to drive than the M3), and more of a handful on the auto-x (slower than the M3). It takes skill (and practice) to get good in the 911.

The 911 (non-turbo) will be less expensive to keep on the road. They are pretty simple, and very reliable (easy to get 250,000 miles out of one).

Personally, the E30 M3 is more rare. If you find a nice one, jump on it. Porsches will always be available as most owners are now taking nice care of them. E30 M3's are getting stripped into dedicated track cars...

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 06-17-2003, 06:41 PM
both feet in

Quote:
Originally posted by Emission
Personally, the E30 M3 is more rare. If you find a nice one, jump on it. Porsches will always be available as most owners are now taking nice care of them. E30 M3's are getting stripped into dedicated track cars...
Yeah, I really am leaning in that direction. Just something in the back off my mind from my youth screams "porsche". Of course since many/most of the DE instructors here have E30's, I'm sure that will influence me more.