Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-21-2008, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528I
Tire Pressure Sensors in 2008 5 Series

I got up this morning and was welcomed with a low tire pressure warning in my dashboard. I linked into BMW Assist and they asked me if the warning light color was red or yellow. When I advised them it was red, they told me to take the car in to get the right front tire checked out. I have a 2008 528I with the sport pkge run-flat Dunlops. I took the car to Discount Tire, where I was told there was nothing wrong with the tire, except that the tire pressure was a little low. I was also told that the tire pressure sensors are very sensitive. Have anyone else been alarmed by the same alert messages? It seems they may be too sensitive, causing undue alarm when it's nothing more than a tire needing some air pressure - Almost like the boy who cried wolf scenario?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGreg View Post
I got up this morning and was welcomed with a low tire pressure warning in my dashboard. I linked into BMW Assist and they asked me if the warning light color was red or yellow. When I advised them it was red, they told me to take the car in to get the right front tire checked out. I have a 2008 528I with the sport pkge run-flat Dunlops. I took the car to Discount Tire, where I was told there was nothing wrong with the tire, except that the tire pressure was a little low. I was also told that the tire pressure sensors are very sensitive. Have anyone else been alarmed by the same alert messages? It seems they may be too sensitive, causing undue alarm when it's nothing more than a tire needing some air pressure - Almost like the boy who cried wolf scenario?
I think the TPMS goes off at about a 10% reduction in pressure. About 4 psi. Get a tire gauge and check your tires monthly and you shouldn't have a problem.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 10-21-2008, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 528i Sedan
+1, I have a 528i Sedan as well. I have had 2 BMW 535s previous to this this vehicle and have managed to set off Tire Sensor in everyone.

I guess when the sensor does go off, it best to just check the tires just in case.

For instance, one day i was traveling to work early one morning and ran over a limb in the road. I seriously didnt think it would do ANYTHING to the car. As soon as i went over it, TPMS came on instantly red. Pulled over and sure enough, tire was punctured and flat as hell.

On a second not, when i had a 535i, one afternoon it was on and i only needed air in the left rear tire.

So, i guess it has it advantages at times. A very good safety feature though.

Wife - '13 BMW X5 3.5i SAV - Sparkling Bronze / Tobacco
On Order: - '13 BMW 335i - Glacier Silver / Coral Red
Old 10-21-2008, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 535 On Order
Very sensitive indeed. Mine has gone off twice in the last 4 months. First time tire pressure was fine, second time a little low. Just check them regularly and shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I check all 4 tires monthly at minimum and if I adjust the pressure in any tire, I reset the TPM. We've been having the usual large temperature fluctuations with the fall season change here, so I've been checking pressure more frequently now that daytime temperatures are getting progressively lower. I've not yet had the TPM signal a pressure alarm.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
Quote:
Check the tires again, just in case... Unless they rolled the tires, and you are sure they checked them toroughly. I had the same indicator light go off. I went to a tire place, and they "checked" the tires - said nothing was wrong, probably just a touchy sensor. I reset the TPMS and the light went off. On the next drive, the tire pressure indicator went off again. I went to the BMW service center to address the sensor issue... No sensor issue, just a nail in the back rear tire. Not saying this is your scenario, but I felt like a jackass in front of the BMW SA. I probably should have checked the tire myself as well.
I've never had my sensor go off aside from that time.

First-Time Bimmer...
2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic - Sports Package/Active Steering/Premium Sound/Cold-Weather
Old 10-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Giant Robot

Mein Auto: Scion FR-S
I had mine go off. I had all four tires checked and all four had perfect pressure. It was an especially cold morning, so perhaps that's why.
"What are you going to replace your BMW with?"
"Another BMW, with a bigger engine!"
Old 10-21-2008, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Just curious--when did you last check your tires with a pressure gauge? And after filling, do you reset the tire pressure monitoring system?

Mine has indicated low pressure twice in 4 years, and both times--it was right.

When the tire store said the tire pressure was "a little low" how much are we talking about? 2 lbs, 4 lbs...

It seems that every few months (do a search if you don't believe me), somebody posts complaining about the tire sensor going off, and--surely--it must be an error on the sensor's part. I don't understand why people automatically assume the system is at fault.

And if you don't check your pressure regularly (I check mine monthly), it's not surprising that you'll lose pressure.

Last edited by stream; 10-21-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i Sport
I think the sensors on the '08's are ugly. Does anyone know if they can be replaced with something else? I saw some pics of a 2009 5'er on another thread and they look different.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrboy2008 View Post
I think the sensors on the '08's are ugly. Does anyone know if they can be replaced with something else? I saw some pics of a 2009 5'er on another thread and they look different.
I don't know what you are talking about. The sensor is mounted on the wheel inside the tire. All you see is a valve stem cap.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 10-22-2008, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
I don't know what you are talking about. The sensor is mounted on the wheel inside the tire. All you see is a valve stem cap.

dj
Then it's the valve stem cap I'm talking about. Must have been a brain-freeze.

Last edited by bmrboy2008; 10-22-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535 x Drive
Quote:
First really cold morning in NJ, mine went off. yellow lights indicated all tires had an issue. Actually front tires were fine. Both back tires were a little low, but not low enough for one to think the monitor would go off.

Now 2 days ago, it was cold again with frost in the am. As i walked to my car, I thought last time this happened, tire pressure monitor went on. Well, started up my car and lo and behold, I was right. This time it was right front tire. BTW: I did think the right front looked a little low, but not really. I stopped on the way to work and it ws about 4 psi low. Yes, I think the monitor is sensitive, but I will make it a ritual to start checking weekly.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beashonda View Post
First really cold morning in NJ, mine went off. yellow lights indicated all tires had an issue. Actually front tires were fine. Both back tires were a little low, but not low enough for one to think the monitor would go off.

Now 2 days ago, it was cold again with frost in the am. As i walked to my car, I thought last time this happened, tire pressure monitor went on. Well, started up my car and lo and behold, I was right. This time it was right front tire. BTW: I did think the right front looked a little low, but not really. I stopped on the way to work and it ws about 4 psi low. Yes, I think the monitor is sensitive, but I will make it a ritual to start checking weekly.

Let me get this right, you think indicating 4 psi low is too sensitive? I guess you think there is a plus or minus 12% safety factor in tire inflation.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 10-23-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
Let me get this right, you think indicating 4 psi low is too sensitive? I guess you think there is a plus or minus 12% safety factor in tire inflation.

dj
okay, let me redeem myself, 4psi is indeed low, but the first time it happened, only two tires were low and it was 2 psi I believe.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Last year (first fall with the car) mine started going off when it got cold... after a short drive and the tires warmed up, then I wouldn't get the warning.

This year it happened to me with one tire about every 3 days in September, took it in and found a nail in it after adding air to it 2x.... they work.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 35i SA + various
I also reset the TPMS after adjusting my cold inflation pressure.

The only time the TPMS alerted was when we had a nail through the tire.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:06 AM

I didn't have to reset the tire monitor pressure after adjusting the pressure. it reset itself......
Old 10-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: Looking
Obviously temperature matters but for those of us who live in the mountains don't forget that when you change altitude it will increase or decrease your pressure. On a drive from SLC to Vegas I lost 5psi. But mostly I have had problems on cold mornings. The best thing to do is head straight to a gas station before the tire heats up and fill to the appropriate level, then rest the TPM. You should be good for a while if you do that.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Cold weather definitely sets them off. We have a home in the mountains as well, and whenever we are there during the cold months, the monitor goes off in the morning. Drive around a while, and it goes back to normal.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335 xi GT
Solution to seasonal TP alarms

I used to go through this each spring and fall with my TPMS cars until I switched to....Nitrogen!!! Greatest thing since the auto ice cube maker! Now no more seasonal changes in tire pressure, no leaks, no nothing. Its worth it guys just do it.
2014 335ix GT Lux,Cold Weather,Driver Assist,Driver Plus,Premium, Technology. Gone 2013 X5 Premium,Active Cruise,HK Sound. Gone-'08 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon Space Gray,Black Nasca Leather,Cold Weather, Premium,Comfort Access ,Vented Seats,Multi-Contour Seats, PDC, Nav, Logic 7 Sound, 2002 X5, 1972 2002.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodengolfer View Post
I used to go through this each spring and fall with my TPMS cars until I switched to....Nitrogen!!! Greatest thing since the auto ice cube maker! Now no more seasonal changes in tire pressure, no leaks, no nothing. Its worth it guys just do it.
I do not understand why the nitrogen filled tires would not leak as much as air filled tires. Air is 70% nitrogen. The real reason nitrogen is used at some facilities is that they do not need to deal with problems of water coming from compressors. The nitrogen gas from the cylinders is dry because the compressed gas companies are accustomed to having to deliver it that way. Aside from that, it is really just marketing.
2003 MB E320, Pewter/Black, Cold weather, Logic 7
Old 10-27-2008, 11:57 AM

Nitrogen

Nitrogen is a larger molecule than the other components in air, and it takes much more heat to expand it, this is my fourth car using N and I have well over 150k of experience that says it works.
2014 335ix GT Lux,Cold Weather,Driver Assist,Driver Plus,Premium, Technology. Gone 2013 X5 Premium,Active Cruise,HK Sound. Gone-'08 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon Space Gray,Black Nasca Leather,Cold Weather, Premium,Comfort Access ,Vented Seats,Multi-Contour Seats, PDC, Nav, Logic 7 Sound, 2002 X5, 1972 2002.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
If nitrogen is a larger molecule than it would be less likely to permeate ( or will permeate at a lower rate) through the rubber than the smaller molecules. I am glad you are having good luck but I still think the concept of N2 in tires is mostly BS
2003 MB E320, Pewter/Black, Cold weather, Logic 7
Old 10-27-2008, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
My sensor has gone off a few times when I leave in the morning (garaged) and after about three blocks. Only goes off once for about five seconds. Tried to reset, but still have the problem. Also checked the pressure and all tires were good. Not going to worry about it unless it goes off after a few miles of freeway driving. Thinking it's just sensitive going from a insulated garage to 35-40 degree weather.

Last edited by Crmgr; 10-28-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:37 PM

No myth about Nitrogen, just ask NASCAR, they have been using it for years and no one is paying them to use it!