Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-04-2002, 12:11 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Got my Zaino drug lab (ahem) Z-FX today

Is it just me or does the Z-FX kit look a little thin? I have my little blue dropper bottle which is half full, and 4 vials, 1 with a blue top, 3 with a white top.

I'm sure it works well, but I was kinda expecting a little more... or a lot more. At least the blue dropper bottle could have been filled all the way.

Anybody got a mass spectrometer I could use? Z1, Z2, Z5 I don't mind buying when I need it, but I kinda feel ripped by Z-FX.

I guess I'll be giving Z-FX a shot this weekend assuming the weather stays in the low to mid 50s on Saturday.

EDIT: here are some pics of my mini Z lab...







-Al
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.

Last edited by alee; 03-04-2002 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-04-2002, 12:14 PM
ALEX325i ALEX325i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,487
Mein Auto: 01 Vectra/04 VW PolO
Yup... Kinda' deceiving, considering the price... I have yet to give it a try... Still waiting for my 6" counterweight and hook and loop...
__________________
ALEX325i - Advocate of the E65 and E46 (and wishing he still had a Bimmer, ANY Bimmer...)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-04-2002, 12:19 PM
ALEX325i ALEX325i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,487
Mein Auto: 01 Vectra/04 VW PolO
BTW Al, check out what a good wash plus quick Z6 detailing do to CB...



Was that you getting off the phone with your sales advisor after placing an order for a 02 CB/Gray M3 w/SMGII? :thumb:
__________________
ALEX325i - Advocate of the E65 and E46 (and wishing he still had a Bimmer, ANY Bimmer...)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-04-2002, 12:29 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by ALEX325i
BTW Al, check out what a good wash plus quick Z6 detailing do to CB...
Holy crap Alex... that is some awesome shine you have going on! How's the swirls treating you or have you beat them with your PC?
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-04-2002, 12:31 PM
Guest84 Guest84 is offline
Account closed at users request
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 22,731
Mein Auto:
Niiiiice Alex! (Rip pulls up his boot straps, oils the Porter Cable in preparation for this years Buff job beginning in two weeks)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-04-2002, 12:37 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Niiiiice Alex! (Rip pulls up his boot straps, oils the Porter Cable in preparation for this years Buff job beginning in two weeks)
You using your vacation days up for this event?
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-04-2002, 12:58 PM
ALEX325i ALEX325i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,487
Mein Auto: 01 Vectra/04 VW PolO
Quote:
Originally posted by alee

Holy crap Alex... that is some awesome shine you have going on! How's the swirls treating you or have you beat them with your PC?
Believe it or not, Z6 got rid of them. At least it's kinda' hard to find them now...

I just got off the phone with Coastaltools. They shipped my 6" counterweight and hook and loop (velcro) last Friday. I'll give it (and ZFX) a try next weekend if the weather is nice... :thumb:
__________________
ALEX325i - Advocate of the E65 and E46 (and wishing he still had a Bimmer, ANY Bimmer...)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-04-2002, 01:00 PM
ALEX325i ALEX325i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,487
Mein Auto: 01 Vectra/04 VW PolO
Quote:
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Niiiiice Alex! (Rip pulls up his boot straps, oils the Porter Cable in preparation for this years Buff job beginning in two weeks)
Thanks Rip. But in the "wet look" dept., I still have a lot to learn to come close to you and Al... Maybe the PC will help me come closer... :thumb:
__________________
ALEX325i - Advocate of the E65 and E46 (and wishing he still had a Bimmer, ANY Bimmer...)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-04-2002, 01:12 PM
Alex Baumann Alex Baumann is offline
Ex-Dictator
Location: *
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 26,112
Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally posted by ALEX325i


Thanks Rip. But in the "wet look" dept., I still have a lot to learn to come close to you and Al... Maybe the PC will help me come closer... :thumb:
Zaino = Wet look

__________________
"Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked; leadership is defined by results not attributes."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2002, 01:15 PM
Guest84 Guest84 is offline
Account closed at users request
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 22,731
Mein Auto:
HOLY MOLY! Nice Alex!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-04-2002, 01:16 PM
Guest84 Guest84 is offline
Account closed at users request
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 22,731
Mein Auto:
Just want to say Im proud of you guys! You give BMW a good name when you keep that auto looking good! Sweet! I like OCD type people, they're normal IMO
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-04-2002, 01:17 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Just want to say Im proud of you guys! You give BMW a good name when you keep that auto looking good! Sweet! I like OCD type people, they're normal IMO
:thumb: It's important to take care of your toys.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-04-2002, 01:29 PM
ALEX325i ALEX325i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,487
Mein Auto: 01 Vectra/04 VW PolO
Quote:
Originally posted by alee

:thumb: It's important to take care of your toys.
Most definitely... Specially when they cost SO much $$$
__________________
ALEX325i - Advocate of the E65 and E46 (and wishing he still had a Bimmer, ANY Bimmer...)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-04-2002, 02:28 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Pics added to my original post above. :thumb:
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-04-2002, 03:38 PM
Mike 325xi's Avatar
Mike 325xi Mike 325xi is offline
Brilliant!
Location: I can see volcanoes from here
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,932
Mein Auto: 2001 325xi StahlcGrau
Re: Got my Zaino drug lab (ahem) Z-FX today

Quote:
Originally posted by alee
Is it just me or does the Z-FX kit look a little thin? I have my little blue dropper bottle which is half full, and 4 vials, 1 with a blue top, 3 with a white top.

I'm sure it works well, but I was kinda expecting a little more... or a lot more. At least the blue dropper bottle could have been filled all the way.

Anybody got a mass spectrometer I could use? Z1, Z2, Z5 I don't mind buying when I need it, but I kinda feel ripped by Z-FX.

I guess I'll be giving Z-FX a shot this weekend assuming the weather stays in the low to mid 50s on Saturday.

EDIT: here are some pics of my mini Z lab...







-Al
That's it?? That's the whole kit?? It cost how much?? I hope it really works great
__________________
-Mike



"It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract."
-- Alan Shepard
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-04-2002, 03:39 PM
Mike 325xi's Avatar
Mike 325xi Mike 325xi is offline
Brilliant!
Location: I can see volcanoes from here
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,932
Mein Auto: 2001 325xi StahlcGrau
DAMN Alex (both Alex's) those cars look amazing!!! :thumb:
__________________
-Mike



"It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract."
-- Alan Shepard
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-04-2002, 03:46 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Re: Re: Got my Zaino drug lab (ahem) Z-FX today

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

That's it?? That's the whole kit?? It cost how much?? I hope it really works great
4 2oz vials, 1 tiny ZFX dropper bottle. $19.95. You're supposed to take your existing Z2 or Z5 wax, mix 2oz of it with 4-5 drops of ZFX.

Shake vigorously for 90 seconds, and it's good for 12 hours. It supposedly cures the Zaino immediately, vs. the 18-24 hours you typically wait for curing.

I hope it works really well too, because I'm not buying more unless it impresses the heck out of me. I'm not holding my breath.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-04-2002, 04:23 PM
Mike 325xi's Avatar
Mike 325xi Mike 325xi is offline
Brilliant!
Location: I can see volcanoes from here
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,932
Mein Auto: 2001 325xi StahlcGrau
Re: Re: Re: Got my Zaino drug lab (ahem) Z-FX today

Quote:
Originally posted by alee

4 2oz vials, 1 tiny ZFX dropper bottle. $19.95. You're supposed to take your existing Z2 or Z5 wax, mix 2oz of it with 4-5 drops of ZFX.

Shake vigorously for 90 seconds, and it's good for 12 hours. It supposedly cures the Zaino immediately, vs. the 18-24 hours you typically wait for curing.

I hope it works really well too, because I'm not buying more unless it impresses the heck out of me. I'm not holding my breath.
OK...I didn't realize that you mixed it with your existing Z...I guess that would explain the empty bottles

<$20 isn't too bad if it makes large batches while mixed with the other Z... I didn't realize that the cure time for Z was that long...that kind of kills a whole weekend doesn't it?
__________________
-Mike



"It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract."
-- Alan Shepard
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-04-2002, 04:53 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Re: Re: Re: Re: Got my Zaino drug lab (ahem) Z-FX today

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike 325xi

OK...I didn't realize that you mixed it with your existing Z...I guess that would explain the empty bottles
I think you could probably get 5 applications out of it. $4 an application seems like a rip.
Quote:
<$20 isn't too bad if it makes large batches while mixed with the other Z... I didn't realize that the cure time for Z was that long...that kind of kills a whole weekend doesn't it?
All waxes typically have a cure time of about 24 hours. It only really matters if you do the layering like you do with Zaino. If you layer, you need to wait for each layer to cure.

We'll see how it goes... I'm still eyeing P21S. Seems like the holy grail.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-04-2002, 05:05 PM
Imola Ed Imola Ed is offline
Where am I?
Location: Bay Area, Cali
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 963
Send a message via AIM to Imola Ed
Mein Auto: Imola Red M3
I just ordered Z-FX the other day. Guess the box will be a little smaller than I thought!

I second the comment about both Alex's cars. Awesome shine!

__________________

Last edited by Imola Ed; 03-04-2002 at 05:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-04-2002, 05:10 PM
vexed's Avatar
vexed vexed is offline
Senior Slacker
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,593
Mein Auto: 9A1
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Got my Zaino drug lab (ahem) Z-FX today

Quote:
Originally posted by alee

I think you could probably get 5 applications out of it. $4 an application seems like a rip.

All waxes typically have a cure time of about 24 hours. It only really matters if you do the layering like you do with Zaino. If you layer, you need to wait for each layer to cure.

We'll see how it goes... I'm still eyeing P21S. Seems like the holy grail.
My screen must be messed up, Al renouncing the Z

Blitz works well IMO but I am about to order some P21S stuff from Car Care Online, wheel cleaner on sale this month, I am thinking of the P21S Paintwork Cleaner.
__________________
vexed

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-04-2002, 05:20 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Got my Zaino drug lab (ahem) Z-FX today

Quote:
Originally posted by vexed
My screen must be messed up, Al renouncing the Z
I'm feeling betrayed... I expected a lot more. The other products come in huge bottles.
Quote:
Blitz works well IMO but I am about to order some P21S stuff from Car Care Online, wheel cleaner on sale this month, I am thinking of the P21S Paintwork Cleaner.
I have extensive experience with their wheel cleaner... it's quite excellent. Their wax and paintwork cleaner are definitely on my list.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-04-2002, 05:28 PM
vexed's Avatar
vexed vexed is offline
Senior Slacker
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,593
Mein Auto: 9A1
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Got my Zaino drug lab (ahem) Z-FX today

Quote:
Originally posted by alee

I'm feeling betrayed... I expected a lot more. The other products come in huge bottles.

I have extensive experience with their wheel cleaner... it's quite excellent. Their wax and paintwork cleaner are definitely on my list.
I realize that I need something for those darn wheels The paintwork cleaner sounds good, any recommendations for a good shampoo?
__________________
vexed

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-04-2002, 05:32 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,012
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Got my Zaino drug lab (ahem) Z-FX today

Quote:
Originally posted by vexed
I realize that I need something for those darn wheels The paintwork cleaner sounds good, any recommendations for a good shampoo?
I think P21S makes a decent car wash. I also hear good things about Sonax car wash.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-04-2002, 05:38 PM
vexed's Avatar
vexed vexed is offline
Senior Slacker
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,593
Mein Auto: 9A1
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Got my Zaino drug lab (ahem) Z-FX today

Quote:
Originally posted by alee

I think P21S makes a decent car wash. I also hear good things about Sonax car wash.
Sounds like Car Care On Line is going to get even more of my $$$

I am also thinking of the P21S towel, and the ones you bought from autosupermart.com, wait......help me I am becoming obsessed.
__________________
vexed

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This Is The Official Hijack Thread... Sabrina Off-Topic 146 05-21-2009 06:38 PM
Nickís unsolicited Zaino Tips & Tricks - Part 1 Nick T. The Detail Department 18 10-26-2005 06:09 PM
t Nick T. The Test Board 5 07-05-2003 09:25 AM
The truth about Zaino (long) Nat Brown The Detail Department 53 03-31-2002 11:29 PM
Used Zaino Z-FX my Orient Blue baby today alee The Detail Department 40 03-08-2002 07:18 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms