Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 06-16-2003, 07:16 PM
I'm Eating My Head

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
SmarTire Usage Questions

I just finished up my SmarTire install using Viets teaser pictures for the location. The install was easy enough-wish I had taken pictures to help out. If you are local to Dallas I'll show you how to do the install !

A couple of questions about the usage:

#1 I'm not sure what to set the pressure deviation alert to. I read the following page after the deviation alert setting. If I understand correctly that reading can be used to adjust the tire pressure for temperature compensation. Is that right?

#2 How can I get info on the recommended High Temp alert setting?

Thanks for the help
Ads by Google
Old 06-16-2003, 11:37 PM
Trying to top 1K posts...

Mein Auto: 89 E30 325i, 97 E39 540iA
#1 I believe I set mine to ~8psi. I run 40psi all around, so if any tire drops to below ~32psi (adjusted for heat factoring), the alert will go off. Factory setting is 5psi, but since I run higher than normal pressure, I figure 8psi deviation is fine.

The display normally shows:

-Actual tire pressure (not compensated for temp, so it will be higher the hotter it gets)
-Tire temp
-Deviation from your cold inflation temp, taking into account temp compensation

So, if the last value ever hits +/- 8 than my cold inflation temp I set, it will go off. If you re-read the instructions (especially page 16), it'll either make more sense, or you'll find out I'm dead wrong.

#2 Factory setting is 176F. I have noticed 122F temps in my tires on warmer days, so 176F is probably fine.

The instructions I read were here.

E39 DIY Site: BMWdiy.INFO
E30 DIY Site: E30.BMWdiy.INFO
BMWTips: BMWTips.com

Old 06-17-2003, 05:59 AM
I'm Eating My Head

Thanks for the info. The link you sent is the one I was using. Currently I am running the door sill tire pressures of 38F, 41R.

I'll try the ~8 psi deviation setting and work from there. I think I'll drop the temp setting to around 100F just to hear the alert (so I'll know the diffference in alerts) and then reset it to 160F or so.

Whaddaya think of my install?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smartire1.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	14190  
Old 06-17-2003, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by avionics12
Whaddaya think of my install?
Muy Bien! Much better use of the ashtray!

Old 06-17-2003, 11:19 AM
I'm Eating My Head

Dammit.. Now I see my next mod in the pic above. A TEC cupholder !

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion:

I spoke with John at SmarTire a few minutes ago. This dude has tire on the brain syndrome. He gave a few pointers about using the system. I was trying to set a Low Pressure Alert value. The system will input the value but does not use it if you have a full function remote display. The Low Pressure Alert is used only by the basic reciever because those systems do not display pressure. Our full function remote displays pressure values hence no need for the Low Pressure alert.

One other item to pass along for now. The system calibration is set for cold tire pressure based on 64F. Because pressure increases as temp increases, John advised me to start a running log of pressures vs ambient temps. A comparison of pressure vs. temps will reveal the optimum operating temp, enhancing tire life.

Done for now...Gotta order that cupholder
Old 06-17-2003, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by avionics12
Done for now...Gotta order that cupholder
Thanks for the great info. I was confused about the LP Alert as well till I read the fine print and found it it's only for programming the basic receiver.

I also saw that 64F thing. If you have any more info on what to look for in the comparision to determine optimum settings, let me know. Also, did he mention anything about adjusting the "slope" setting?

Hey, as far as the TEC cupholder, I should probably sell mine. I use the Ultimate Cupholder because it fits larger bottles. I have it in near-new condition since it hasn't been used since installed. E-mail me if you're interested and it'll be at a discount.

Old 06-17-2003, 07:21 PM
I'm Eating My Head

I spoke with John again. He said that to change the slope setting would require lots of information that I didn't quite understand. I'm an engineer and the things he was discussing were way past me

I plan on keeping a log of temps and pressures to see if I can determine the optimum setting. This may be getting way too involved.................

I ordered a TEC this morning. If I could fit two of them in the car I'd take yours off your hands!

More later I'm sure.