Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW Z3
Z3 front wheel speed sensor replacement

How do I replace the front right wheel speed sensor on my 2000 Z3?, both my ABS and ASC light's go on and off.... they are off until I go over a bump and then come on, or they are on at start up.

BMW have told be that they need to replace the front right wheel speed sensor, and if this doesn't work, then to replace the ASC Module...........

The cost for them to perform the work is $ 523.00 for the sensor, and $ 993.00 for the module. I have found a sensor on the web for $35.00, as it's a wire I wouldn't think it could be that difficult.

I haven't looked or a ASC module yet.

Dekfit
Ads by Google
Old 10-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M Roadster S54 - E39 3.0
Wow! That's seems a lot for just a wheel sensor replacement. The only real issue you could have is if the sensor is seized in the hub. If not then its a 30 min job max.

This is not a great picture, but here you can see the wire coming from the inner arch. There is a connector behind that plastic cover. The sensor is a single bolt into the hub. The green wire in this picture is for the brake pad wear sensor, so you won't have this on the front right. The brake pad wear sensor and wheel sensor use the same type of connector. I found that an aftermarket pad sensor connector was quite a tight fit, so depending on where you get the wheel sensor you may find it also a tight fit.

Good luck with it!

Si.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 AM

front wheel speed sensor

Hey thanks for your help, your right it only took me about 30 mintues max, the problem I have is I purchased an after market sensor - identical except the end that sticks into the wheel, the one I removed ( BMW oem ) the end was opposite way round.

The after market part had the same BMW number as was on the BMW parts page and the part I removed. The end has 3 metal strips showing, this end is not the same all around, the BMW one and the after market one I purchased are opposite - turn through 180 degrees. Do you know if this makes a difference.

The lights are still on, so I will have to look for a module for the ASC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	165924
Old 11-06-2008, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: M Roadster S54 - E39 3.0
Sorry, can't help much on that sensor. First thought was that the sensor maybe handed, but RealOEM only shows a single part number for the front axle.

I take it that the connector went in OK? any corrosion in there causing a poor contact? i would inspect the wiring just in case there is a break there. Could the ABS system need a reset?

Si.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
Is it possible that you bought (or better yet they sold you) a left sensor instead of the right side? I think it makes a difference. There are senders(?) around the hub and the sensor picks up their movement. I doubt if the signal is strong enough to penetrate the plastic housing. But I could be wrong.

Either way you can test your sensors against each other. Take a resistance reading across the 2 leads inside the connecting boot and compare right and left sensors. If the values are the same your sensors are fine (or both are equally bad).

Take a look at my post here if you find that its not a sensor issue http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ight=abs%2Fasc

Although to me it sounds like a bad sensor.
Arctic Silver
Old 11-09-2008, 02:56 PM

Z3 ABS/ASC dash light on

Thanks,
The sensor I removed on the front right ( indicated by BMW to be the possible problem ) was covered in dirt and rust on the metal contacts, I'll try cleaning the old sensor and see if that makes any difference, if not I'll see if I can find out how to reset the ASC module, failing this I might have to buy a BMW sensor and then the ASC module that BMW sggested if the sensor didn't work, it's a lot of money to pay BMW - $ 1,600 to fix this problem!!!

I'll let you know how it goes.

DF