Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335 / 2014 X-3
I got a great idea! I call it Euro-delivery!

Employee: "Hey boss, I got a great idea! Instead of just manufacturing and shipping cars all over the world all day, what do you think about letting some customers come here to the factory and pick up their cars?"

"We could segregate the cars off the assembly line, truck them to a multi-million dollar delivery center, employ dozens of people to do paper work (German registration, export documentation, etc.)"

"There, we could install a first aid kit, road side reflector, floor mats, and throw in a free lunch. We will then spend an hour familiarizing the new owners with their car. We will set up free roadside assistance for a month along with free zero-deductible insurance, and then, when the customer is done using the car in Europe, we will allow them to drop the car off in any one of a dozen locations. Then we would pay to truck the car to a port for shipment."

"AND WE WILL SELL THE CAR FOR 7% LESS MONEY THAN IF WE HAD JUST SIMPLY SHIPPED IT ALONG WITH THE OTHER CARS! What do you think of this idea boss?"

Boss: "Your fired"

Last edited by Stevarino; 06-17-2003 at 06:15 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2003, 01:35 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
LOL!! and thus explains why the Japanese Auto makers do not have a "Japan Delivery Program"

Hell!! If you wanted to do a Corvettee Factory Delivery, They'd charge you more for it (for their trouble). Go figure!!

beewang
Old 06-17-2003, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
I keep thinking that any day someone at BMW is going to put a stop to the Euro-delivery discount. To my knowledge, no other German maker offers a similar program w/ a discount. I'm pleasantly surprised that BMW keeps it. FOr now, its our little (well, not so little) secret .
Old 06-17-2003, 01:46 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally posted by beewang
LOL!! and thus explains why the Japanese Auto makers do not have a "Japan Delivery Program"

beewang
I wouldn't even consider doing a Japanese Delivery of a car. Who would want drive in those tight streets with zillions of cars and pedestrians. Think of Tokyo.

On the other hand, there are parts of Italy that'll drive you crazy as well.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 06-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally posted by robg
I keep thinking that any day someone at BMW is going to put a stop to the Euro-delivery discount. To my knowledge, no other German maker offers a similar program w/ a discount. I'm pleasantly surprised that BMW keeps it. FOr now, its our little (well, not so little) secret .
Well, the discount is basically eaten by BMW NA and the dealers, who lose the CSI bonus when they sell an ED car. BMW AG gets the same amount either way, other than the insurance costs, etc., which are probably added back into the price.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 325 (2006) - FIAT spider
Quote:
Originally posted by Spectre
I wouldn't even consider doing a Japanese Delivery of a car. Who would want drive in those tight streets with zillions of cars and pedestrians. Think of Tokyo.

On the other hand, there are parts of Italy that'll drive you crazy as well.
Well.. at least in Italy we stay, most of the time, on the right side of the road.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330 cic ED
I think Volvo and Mercedes don't give discounts but give plane tickets and a night or two of hotel.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2001 330i Sport
Quote:
Originally posted by jrubens
I think Volvo and Mercedes don't give discounts but give plane tickets and a night or two of hotel.
Mercedes don't give jack.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:18 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Not true... Volvo does a have a good ED discount program but.... Hell-sinky delivery is jus not the same as Munich

Besides, who wants a front wheel drive ford anyways??!!

beewang
Old 06-17-2003, 06:50 PM
In Driving Heaven

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco
Well.. at least in Italy we stay, most of the time, on the right side of the road.
I'll grant you that. The telling part is "most of the time time". The rest of the time.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Old 06-17-2003, 06:56 PM
In Driving Heaven

Quote:
Not true... Volvo does a have a good ED discount program but.... Hell-sinky delivery is jus not the same as Munich

beewang
Actually you can pick up your Volvo in 13 different European cities (including Munich!), but Volvo charges you for every pickup in every city except Gothenburg. You can drop off in 14 different cities, but again you get charged if you drop off anywhere except Gothenburg or Bremerhaven (does Volvo use WW as well?).

Not that I have the slightest desire to own a Volvo.

Old 06-17-2003, 11:14 PM
:-)

Mein Auto: E46 M3
haha. good post.

02 M3 6MT - a bunch of mods | No V-CSL | No carbon fiber anywhere
Sold: 03 330Ci - No Leather | No Moonroof | No Step | European delivered
Old 06-17-2003, 11:21 PM
iPod and XM enabled

Mein Auto: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by Spectre
...but again you get charged if you drop off anywhere except Gothenburg or Bremerhaven (does Volvo use WW as well?).
The Tricolor (WW ship that sank last year) was carrying BMW, Volvo and Saab plus some cargo.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:27 AM

This thread reminds me of 'The Question', for which I found no convincing answer:
Why does BMW do it?
In a forum I read the ED was initiated as a way to attract customers when BMW was new to the US and needed to establish its market.
Is it true? When was that?
Does anybody have any more precise info?
Old 06-19-2003, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 03 325 XI
Quote:
Originally posted by desiguyincali
I think the reason BMW does provide European Dilevery is fbecause these are Performance Oriented Cars and in US u cant speed ur cars more then 80MPH so in order to really feel what BMW is you have to drive this car on a AutoBhan with no speed limits. ITs a way of introducing the driver to what really this car is and what it is capable of. Once you do a ED of ur BMW i can bet that u will miss the driving fun you had in Europe with this car.
Please post your response in English!
Old 06-21-2003, 10:46 AM
I miss my baby

Mein Auto: 2006 silv 330i sp w/step
What I heard about ED...

Is that When you pick your car up in Europe, It is now able to be shipped as a used car. Somehow saves BMW Import tarriffs on New automobiles or something and BMW is kind enough to pass this on to its customers. Also serves as a great marketing tool for BMW enthusiasts who want to experience driving their cars on the autobahn. This helps build brand loyalty by creating an emotional connection... blah, blah, blah.

Old 06-21-2003, 10:51 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Re: What I heard about ED...

Quote:
Originally posted by otto325ci
Is that When you pick your car up in Europe, It is now able to be shipped as a used car. Somehow saves BMW Import tarriffs on New automobiles or something and BMW is kind enough to pass this on to its customers. ....
That's a myth and its NOT true. The ED Program car's in a way screw the dealer's out of their "back-end" CSI money. That is the reason why you get to buy the cars cheaper.

You are right on with the BMW Marketing aspect of the ED program. I know I am now "Bavaria Blue" Through and through!!

beewang
Old 06-22-2003, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330 cic ED
I would be too, Bee, if it weren't for the ....

yep, more ing on a nice afternoon
Old 06-23-2003, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Re: Re: What I heard about ED...

Quote:
That's a myth and its NOT true. The ED Program car's in a way screw the dealer's out of their "back-end" CSI money. That is the reason why you get to buy the cars cheaper.

You are right on with the BMW Marketing aspect of the ED program. I know I am now "Bavaria Blue" Through and through!!

beewang
That's what i've heard too-- although I think the back-end money only accounts for about 2% of the savings--- I think the other part of the discount BMW chalks up to "marketing" and "brand loyalty" I'd also read a plausible explanation that BMW gets some tax credits for "encouraging tourism"- but I kind of doubt that.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 330Cic
Re: Re: What I heard about ED...

Quote:
That's a myth and its NOT true. The ED Program car's in a way screw the dealer's out of their "back-end" CSI money. That is the reason why you get to buy the cars cheaper. .....
etc., etc., etc.,

In actuality, this was once true, however, the import duties on new and used cars were formalized several years ago so the true economic benefit disappeared. Thus the reason that several other european car makers eliminated their ED programs at that time. However, one continuing motivation for the program for BMW is that they can exceed their "voluntary" import quotas through the ED program. So, in fact, they gain economically by being able to sell more cars then they might otherwise here in the States.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:20 AM

voluntary import quotas

Quote:
Originally posted by jl5555
etc., etc., etc.,

One continuing motivation for the program for BMW is that they can exceed their "voluntary" import quotas through the ED program. So, in fact, they gain economically by being able to sell more cars then they might otherwise here in the States.
I didn't know that BMW had 'voluntary quotas'. Why?
Does this go also for Audi and MB?
Can't they just put a higher 'voluntary' limit to their imports? Or eliminate it altogether?
Do they keep it so that demand is higher than supply ($$$)?
Old 06-24-2003, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: '02 330ci
Quote:

beewang

.....Nothing wrong with Helsinki. ....besides Volvo is Swedish.

Finnish girls are very friendly! I should know....'cos am visiting my Finnish girfriend next month.

Porsche charges for ED too.