Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 06-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i
angel eyes retrofit advice needed

I've installed the LED tail lights in the back, and they work and look great. However, I'm having trouble with the Angel eyes retro fit. You guys know of anywhere I can get tips on installing them. I had everything hooked up and for some reason the low beams and turn signals will not work. It's been frustrating. If anyone can give some advice or know of professional places in Houston that know how to install these lights please help me out.

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 06-19-2003, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: Cars
Did you get the wiring harness? Your original harness had a single connector that went to the side markers serving as both parking lights and turn signals (two filament bulb). The AEs split this into the rings and turn signals, so the stock wiring won't work without an adapter harness.

Also, did you plug everything into the right places and make sure they are plugged in all the way?

Did you check out www.bmwtips.com under tips&tricks, then lighting? There are some good writeups including instructions for how to make your own adapter harness.

Lastly, are these xenon or halogen AEs? What were your stock lights?

If you can post a picture of your wiring, please do so.

Bill
Old 06-21-2003, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540iA
Bill's right, very easy to do (halogen to halogen that is). You need connectors though. I emailed you just now. I'll help you if you need it. I just did a halogen to halogen switch on my car. Really like it.

Chris Warren
Old 06-22-2003, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
More details on angel eye install problems

Iíve visited the tips and tricks at bimmerfest.com and found the diagrams for installing angel eyes very helpful. I have a í99 540i with xenon lights already. I purchased the hella angel eyes which already have all the bulbs in it including xenon. Initially, I could not even install the lights because the factory ballasts I had did not match the ballasts that were supposed to go with the angel headlights despite what I had been told that if I already had xenon in my car that I could use existing ballasts. Anyhow, I purchased the ballasts that fit the angel eyes and followed the directions for creating the harness, and I canít figure out why itís not working. When I start my car and turn on the light switch, the low beam lights flicker initially and subsequently never turn on. Neither the angel eyes nor the turn signals work either. Also, the low beams are not connected to the wire harness I created, so I don't understand why it's not powering up. Could it be that I have bad ballasts or bad bulbs?

One other thing to note is that the turn signals have the eurofit bulbs which have staggered pins rather than the American pins which are directly across from each other, could this cause a problem? I doubt it since these bulbs fit into the hella angel eyes.

Still trying to figure it out. Has anyone ever had these problems installing angel eyes?

Thanks.

Geronimo.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:39 AM
Trying to top 1K posts...

Mein Auto: 89 E30 325i, 97 E39 540iA
You're correct, the Y-harness should have nothing to do with your low beam Xenon bulbs and new ballasts not firing up. Did you buy the Philips/Hella ballasts that fit perfectly in the new brackets? Did you test both sides, or just one?

BMW had a software upgrade in the newer LCM's (Lamp Control Module) that would provide a couple more firing pulses to the ballast since they didn't always fire initially, but I haven't heard of too many folks w/ that issue.

E39 DIY Site: BMWdiy.INFO
E30 DIY Site: E30.BMWdiy.INFO
BMWTips: BMWTips.com