Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-18-2014, 03:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
My Eonon GM5150 Thread

Well I got my gm5150 from Eonon installed and really like it. I'll post pics etc in this thread shortly.

But for those that bought the Eonon stereos and hoped to add tpms (tire pressure monitor) kit from them it turns out its discontinued. Well one of the reasons I bought the Eonon unit is because I dont have to limit myself to thier products, etc since Im a computer programmer by trade

I will be posting in here also how to "upgrade" your eonon stereo to use any tpms system you want as long as it runs under windows ce. Ive got the interface part worked out already so I can launch any program I want from thier tpms button. Now Im reviewing which hardware I want to go with. Looking to pick a system with a large installed base so I know its reliable before I buy it.

I will do all my mods that I list in here as simple install scripts or batch files to make it a no brainer for members that are not computer literate. All you will have to do is copy the files to a sd card and do one step to install any mod I list in this thread as I go. I will be tailoring this twards e46 owners since well Im an e46 owner and all. But most of these mods will work for other models of bmw for others that bought eonon's too.

What my goals are with this is as follows. Im open to sugestions if others want mods Im not listing.

1. Tpms
2. OBD II diagnostics
3. Custom live data gauges that are user selectable.
4. Timed door locking (auto lock the car at night if you forget to)
5. Sunroof and or window control for hot days.

Again my first project is the tpms since thats what Im wanting to add to my car next. The obd stuff will be my next one after that.
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330Cic
extra cables

Hi. I look forward to your future posts. I am one of those with computer challenges.

For your initial install, did you need any extra cables?
Old 04-24-2014, 02:30 PM

Nothing extra was needed. It all just plugged in. I tested the usb and sd card features out last night.

So far Ive got an old iphone I had hooked up to the provided iphone/ipod cable. Cool that it had the cable included with the stereo and was very nice cable to boot. The one I bought from kenwood for my kenwood unit in my truck isnt near as nice as the one that came with eonon. The eonon cable is thicker and has a more positive locking mechanism to it.

I put a usb thumb drive on one of the two usb cables that it has and was able to play videos from it just fine.

I put a 2gb micro sd card in the micro sd slot (which I might add is on the left side of the face of the unit and the map sd card is on the right side). I was impressed it had both. Most of the double din units I have that have a micro sd on the face is actually for the gps maps and if you use it for that then you dont have it for videos or music. This has 2 slots.

As I mentioned the music and videos worked great except of the ones that were not supported video codec wise. Which is normal. No head unit will work with all videos as there are to many to possibly support and new ones come out yearly if not faster. Now one thing thats a plus is if someone REALLY wants to play a video that isnt supported you can add the codec to the windows ce its running. Its not worth the effort in the matter as it would require a good bit of fiddling around but if you just had to have it you could do it.

I'll just convert any videos to a supported codec if I need to.

The sound enhancer button on my harmon kardon system really works nicely with the eonon. I didnt care for using the effects button thats down by the seat heater buttons with the factory head unit as it didnt really make the music sound better. But I find I use it a good bit with the eonon at times. Nice effects now.

Screen glare is the biggest issue so far but its not the eonons fault as much as the way bmw did the dash angle. The angled hole causes the face to title upwards which at night is awesome as its pointing right at the user but in the daytime it makes glare worse.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330Cic
Sounds great. Might want to inquire with these guys for a glare shield. I would but don't have the screen dimensions. http://www.nushield.com/contact.php#
Old 04-24-2014, 03:13 PM

I was going to order a glare film to put on it but I cant find a review that shows they work or even someone saying they work. Everything I find says its either the same with or without if not even worse.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Hi Crowz, many thanks for sharing your detailed Eonon GM5150 review here! Welcome to share more pics/vid on our channel here:
http://www.eonon.com/channel_2014E-Oscar.aspx

And our facebook too: https://www.facebook.com/Eonon.Official Thanks a lot mate!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:15 PM

Ok finally got off my butt and installed the backup camera. Cool concept with it replacing one of the tag lights. Would be even cooler if the thing actually fit

After cutting, filing and cussing I finally realized that even if I did get it clipped in like the factory reverse light I wouldnt like it. The camera would be slightly blocked by the trim lip. Oh well I guess that wasnt that bad a way to speed almost 2 hours

So now knowing I dont want it clipped in there in the first place I decided to glue the sucker in place. I had run across others installing this and using screws which didnt look so hot. So I decided to glue it to keep it looking factory like.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:34 PM

Pics and howto for it here :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=782218
Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM

Still dont have ideal pics of using it yet but here is the camera in use.

Still have screen glare issues but I should have that solved shortly.

One cool thing about the eonon is how fast the reverse camera is available after first cranking the car.

All my other stereos that have the backup camera have to go thru a long bootup process to use the backup camera and the eonon will go from off to seeing the backup camera in about 5 seconds or so.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci
Smile Truly valuable info and pics, Crowz, and question...

Those are great pics and information about your 5150. My wife and I each own 3 series Ci's, hers an '02 325Ci with 100k miles, (summer commuter) mine an '04 330Ci with <29,000 (recently bought as retirement car). We both want to put these units in our respective cars.

I noticed you mentioned the Harmon Kardon sound system hooked up and it sounded fine. (forgive me if I read that incorrectly)

Other sources not on this site suggested the HK had to be disconnected, that the 5150 provided the sound, and only the HK speakers were used.

Can you clarify this for me? I'm impressed with your knowledge of this accessory and how it integrates into the 3 series. Thanks and Best regards,
Old 10-09-2014, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci
Sorry, another question. Noticed one contributor had a challenging install with the backup camera. I saw a stand-alone backup camera built into a black license plate frame for sale online. Extra money of course, but appears clean and essentially invisible.

Any thoughts on the included vs a plate frame mounted version, other than additional cost? Thanks
Old 10-11-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cigolfcart View Post
Those are great pics and information about your 5150. My wife and I each own 3 series Ci's, hers an '02 325Ci with 100k miles, (summer commuter) mine an '04 330Ci with <29,000 (recently bought as retirement car). We both want to put these units in our respective cars.

I noticed you mentioned the Harmon Kardon sound system hooked up and it sounded fine. (forgive me if I read that incorrectly)

Other sources not on this site suggested the HK had to be disconnected, that the 5150 provided the sound, and only the HK speakers were used.

Can you clarify this for me? I'm impressed with your knowledge of this accessory and how it integrates into the 3 series. Thanks and Best regards,
Yep works with the hk system with no mods needed.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cigolfcart View Post
Sorry, another question. Noticed one contributor had a challenging install with the backup camera. I saw a stand-alone backup camera built into a black license plate frame for sale online. Extra money of course, but appears clean and essentially invisible.

Any thoughts on the included vs a plate frame mounted version, other than additional cost? Thanks
The backup camera isnt included. The one in my post I bought seperately. The stereo works with any backup camera but doesnt include one.

Id go with the one I went with over the plate one. The plate one has to be removed to get to the plate which is a hassle and gets dirtier easier for some reason I have both is why I know.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Hi would you know how to reconnect to Bluetooth? I pressed forget this device and now can't connect. The Eonon name and PIN have disappeared