Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
That's good news indeed. Maybe some of those early SilverStars suffered from a QA issue at the factory. It seems unlikely that a major buld manufacturer would jeopardize their reputation by selling a poorly designed bulb.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Maybe some of those early SilverStars suffered from a QA issue at the factory.
Yeah, I'm almost on two years for mine and they've outlasted the adjusters!

BTW, Chris P. wrote quite a nice headlight article de-befuddling people like me.

It's amazing, to me, how confusing something (which should be) as simple as headlights is on this BMW!

Examples:
1. Both HID and filament halogens in the BMW use H7 configurations (so they're all H7 bulbs, apparently ... which means throughout this thread I've been using the word H7 incorrectly to distinguish the filament halogens).

2. Both HID xenon and filament halogens have "halogen" gases inside, so, technically, the word "xenon" is rather meaningless as a distinction, apparently.

3. The clearest way to unambiguously distinguish between the bulb types is to mention the existance or lack of a filament - because HID bulbs have no filament apparently while both "Xenon" and "Halogen" marketed "conventional" bulbs have a filament.

4. Even in an HID headlight, apparently the high beam is an H7 filament halogen while only the low beam is the H7 HID xenon non-filament bulb. Go figure.

5. Apparently from the factory, in the US, self-leveling motors are only on the "HID" headlights while anthing can happen on aftermarket headlights. I know I simply have a stalk on my non-self-leveling filament H7 halogen Hella filament-AE (vs LED AE) Cellis-ring headlights.

More details here:
- Explanation of HID versus Xenon and why the high beam is always a halogen H7 bulb (1) (2)

And, some interesting related links here:
- Broken headlight adjusters (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21)
- How to buy new headlight adjusters (EAC E39 prior to 9/2000) (EAC aluminum E39 after 9/2000) (EAC plastic after 9/2000) (odometergears) (UK)
- How to make your own headlight adjusters (1) (2) (3)
- A list of your options when your headlight adjusters are broken (1)
- Headlight aiming DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
- Headlight replacement H7 bulbs (1)
- Headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIY (1) (2) (3)
- Headlight autopsy DIY (1) (2) (3)
- What's the flat spot on the USA spec headlights (1) (2)

Last edited by bluebee; 10-27-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post

4. Even in an HID headlight, apparently the high beam is an H7 filament halogen while only the low beam is the H7 HID xenon non-filament bulb. Go figure.
I believe the logic behind using a standard H7 halogen high beam bulb in a HID headlamp assembly is because the HID bulb requires a short warmup period to achieve full brightness. When high beams are needed (e.g. to light up a twisting road or to flash an oncoming car), full intensity is usually needed immediately. Hence, the tradeoff of improved lighting for delayed full intensity is unwarranted on a high beam and this is probably the reason the designers went with standard H7 halogen high beam bulbs on the HID headlamp assembly.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 AM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 M5
Thanks for sharing the link to my post, Blue.

As I said in the other thread, I believe the HID bulb in E39s is D2-S.
Fern Green 99 M3, Conforti Shark Software, Conforti CAI, Dinan Exhaust. Stamped LTWs, 235x40 square, OEM Hella heads, ///M Pedal Kit, Clear Corners, OEM Rear Spoiler, CD43 stereo. MRegistry listing here.
Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Titanium, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Euro rotors, iPod integration. MRegistry listing here.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy36-39 View Post
I believe the HID bulb in E39s is D2-S.
I know. I'm going by what ümnitza (925-521-0577) told me by phone.

HID "non-filament" bulbs, if I wrote it down correctly, have 3 connector types:
- Base Type = HID
- Fitment = H7
- Connector = D2S

According to ümnitza, the halogen filament bulbs also have 3 connector types, where they're also H7 (9006?).

I didn't write down the 3 items for the filament bulbs, but perhaps it's:
- Base Type = Halogen
- Fitment = H7
- Connector = 9006

It's all very confusing to me.

Note: Some say the confusion stems from the fact that retrofit kits MUST fit into the existing "fitment"; hence only retrofit kits would have HID H7s'. As I said, I'm thoroughly confused because even Xenon doesn't mean HID while people use it that way. It's a confusing mess!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 AM
-------------------------

Mein Auto: 2001 530iA Sport
Quote:
I know. I'm going by what ümnitza [/URL]([FONT=Verdana]told me by phone.

HID "non-filament" bulbs, if I wrote it down correctly, have 3 connector types:
- Base Type = HID
- Fitment = H7
- Connector = D2S

umnitza is making no sense. A D2S is a D2S and a H7 is a H7. Different connectors, different fitment, different bulb. If you have OEM Hella HID projectors they take a D2S HID bulb. Theres nothing H7 about it.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRsE39 View Post
umnitza is making no sense.
It's probably ME making no sense.

I think ümnitza is having trouble clarifying to me because they keep launching into a sales pitch (about how the owner has an E39 M5 and I can stop by to see HIS headlights) every time I asked them about the fitments.

So, maybe it's me trying to glean facts out of the sales pitch fromümnitza. Usually I can separate the wheat from the chaff; but in the case of headlights, there are so many terms, it's almost as if I'm talking headlights as a second language.

The sales guys launch into lumens and "colors" of the headlights and even the color of the angel eyes, and then sprinkle HID and Xenon and then confuse me by saying the have BOTH the lows and the highs as HIDs, etc.

I'm utterly amazed how COMPLICATED the headlights can get so fast (I was lost within the first few seconds of the sales pitch).

So, it's probably just me being confused. Forget anything I said about H7 and D2S and I'll give up trying to understand it. I can't even figure out the difference between HID and filament halogen (from a practical sense) because it's like asking the difference between the sport and the base E39. You get answers filled with M A R K E T I N G garbage (intentionally I'm sure) that you can't get any answer out of them.

I asked again and again what the "REAL" (as in ability to see deer in the road real) differences were between the HID and the filament halogens and all I got was a pitch to change my fog lamps to HID where he'd throw in the kit for "a great deal".

I give up trying to understand BMW headlights.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:35 PM

Ignore the sales guys. They are trying to sell something. Most only have a marginal working knowledge of there products (this is a generality but often true).

The shape of the beam matters because that determines where you put light. Too high and it blinds opposing drivers. Too low and you can't see far enough. The beam shape is determined by the lamp design. The OEM Hella lamps are very good and do not need replacement.

The color of the light is determined by the temperature rating (K). Uncoated halogen bulbs have a slghtly yellow tint. Coated (blue) halogen bulbs have a higher temp rating and a whiter beam. HID produce a naturally white beam. Coating a bulb blue absorbs light across a portion of the light spectrum and results in a whiter beam but diminished light output. Hence, a "xenon like" halogen bulb typically has less light output (measured in lumens) than an uncoated halogen. It may appear to be an improvement in lighting because the whiter light is closer to daylight and reduces eyestrain. This is an illusion.

Angel eyes have NO impact on light output. This is purely a cosmetic lighting trim that looks cool. Some changeover to LEDs (I have) because they better match my HID headlamps.

HID foglamps may or may not be more effective. They WILL better match the HID headlamps. I considered this change but the level of effort for the install was more than I was willing to do. I have no problem opening up my engine but I am scared of all things electrical. You just can't see electrons, where they go, etc.

Bottom line, don't overcomplicate things. You have very good headlamps with some of the better bulbs (SilverStar) around. My only concern when I had Sylvanias was their durability but that seems resolved. Changing headlamp systems is not a cost effective improvement for you (my opinion).

Last edited by Fudman; 10-29-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Ignore the sales guys. ... Changing headlamp systems is not a cost effective improvement for you
Thanks Fudman for your advice. I AM confused.

My confusion partially stems from the fact I seem to be unwillingly vacillating between just wanting to fix the adjusters (1) in my OEM Hella post-facelift filament halogens versus trying to understand people when they talk headlights (2) overall (most of the time, they're talking fancy HID non-filament stuff).

I too want plug-and-play swaps. I almost always go OEM unless it's something like the radiator where emotions rule logic (Behr won't get rewarded with MY money for making such garbage).

Hella has a good reputation (but I'm confused about that too).

After having taken apart one of my OEM Hellas (3), I'm actually quite shocked people say the OEM filament Hellas are better in most respect than aftermarket (even HID aftermarket, apparently). My dismay is mainly due to the huge amount of (cheap-looking) plastic that abounds inside (4) these OEM Hella post-facelift filament-style headlights.

There's barely any metal, save for a few screws ... while the only visible quality component, the five fiberoptic cables, appear to be gratuitous overkill (5) along with those cheap plastic "cellis" rings and cheap uselessly unwavering unconnected self-leveling motor stalk.

For a long time, I've been dissatisfied with the visibility of these OEM Hella filament headlights, but I'm sure a huge portion of that lack of goodwill toward Hella is due to their ineptness in designing the internal adjusters.

From what I can glean, is this an accurate assessment?
0. If you have OEM postfacelift Hellas (either HID or filament), stick with them - they'll give you the best light output overall;
1. If your adjusters are broken, fix them (with the EAC Tuning aluminum or make your own).
2. If you must replace the headlights, replace the original OEM postfacelift Hella filaments with the same type so that you don't need to futz with the LCM and connectors and order fancy schmancy H7-to-D2S bulb fitments.
3. If you WANT greater light output than what the filament Hellas provide, then (and only then) retrofit (at some effort) the filament low-beam bulb with a 55W non-filament HID and ballast kit.

Is that a reasonably accurate summary of the recommendations?

Old 10-29-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
From what I can glean, is this an accurate assessment?
0. If you have OEM postfacelift Hellas (either HID or filament), stick with them - they'll give you the best light output overall;
1. If your adjusters are broken, fix them (with the EAC Tuning aluminum or make your own).
2. If you must replace the headlights, replace the original OEM postfacelift Hella filaments with the same type so that you don't need to futz with the LCM and connectors and order fancy schmancy H7-to-D2S bulb fitments.
3. If you WANT greater light output than what the filament Hellas provide, then (and only then) retrofit (at some effort) the filament low-beam bulb with a 55W non-filament HID and ballast kit.

Is that a reasonably accurate summary of the recommendations?
Pretty much yes to all. There really isn't a lot of rocket science to light bulbs. Basically brighter bulbs yield more light and whiter bulbs make it easier to see things. WRT #2 I would recommend clear H7 halogen bulbs (e.g. Philips VisionPlus) to maximize light on the road. While tinted bulbs (like SilverStar) have a whiter beam (and look xenon-esque), they actually put less light on the road surface than an equivalent untinted bulb. I used to think Sylvania boosted the output to achieve better lighting which then accounted for their shorter bulb life but that is just a guess. Many SilverStar and other tinted bulb owners believe their bulbs increase light on the road but this may be due to whiter light being closer to natural light creating the impression of better light. Since most of us lack the ability to measure actual light output, there is little hard data on this topic to base an opinion. I had halogen AE projectors on my previous e39 and ran the myriad of bulbs mentioned above. Decent but not great lighting. My current e39 has the OEM HID and there appears to be a noticeable improvement. But then again, this could be an optical illusion. I guess as long as I think it is better, then it is.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Constantly Learning

C'mon Blue, don't despair! You've tackled tougher things on this board, and shared the info with others.

Here's a suggestion -- stop saying "halogen" so much, and don't mix technology names -- HID -- with brand names -- Xenon, Celis, Hella, DDM, etc.

There is NO dispute that HID is a technological advancement over traditional auto lighting that produces much greater light output. It's also much more expensive to produce, and that expense is past on to car buyers.

So people try aftermarket to get the former (more light), while avoiding the latter (expense) and that's when things get very murky. (FWIW, this is why I've never pursued trying to upgrade my M3 halogen Hellas to HID despite the low costs advertised)

Fudman -- everything you said accurate but I do think the 65W Osram H7s are better than most, they claim 2100 lumens, which I think is as good as halogen gets.
Fern Green 99 M3, Conforti Shark Software, Conforti CAI, Dinan Exhaust. Stamped LTWs, 235x40 square, OEM Hella heads, ///M Pedal Kit, Clear Corners, OEM Rear Spoiler, CD43 stereo. MRegistry listing here.
Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Titanium, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Euro rotors, iPod integration. MRegistry listing here.

Last edited by Edgy36-39; 10-30-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:56 PM

Headlights as a second language

Quote:
stop saying "halogen" so much, and don't mix technology names -- HID -- with brand names -- Xenon, Celis, Hella, DDM
I actually don't (fully) understand those well-intentioned recommendations, partly because I don't fully understand all those terms (so I'm probably using half of them incorrectly). As such, I'm falling prey to exactly what the marketeers want me to do. PT Barnum was right.

Let's rectify my styupidity pronto!

I'll try to decipher "just" the terms first. As always, I'll make a stab at making a fool of myself and try to define them myself, and then let others tell me where I err:

1. Halogen: A halogen, specifically, is a set of elements in "group 7" on the periodic table (see below); but bimmerfesters generally use the word "halogen" to indicate non-HID filament bulbs. These "halogen" bulbs have the tungsten filament encased in a small quartz container which is so close to the filament it would melt if it were made of glass. Inside that quartz container are one of the halogen gases (flourine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, or astatine) which combine with tungsten vapors and allow redeposition of tungsten back onto the filament, thereby allowing for both longer life (in theory) and increased light by increasing the current forced through the filament.

2. HID, high-intensity discharge = Here we mean it to be higher-voltage non-filament bulbs with a ballast. Most members considered the more expensive HID light output superior to the lower-cost filament-bulb light output. The HID bulb produces light "by means of an electric arc between tungsten electrodes inside a translucent or transparent fused quartz or fused alumina arc tube. This tube is filled with both gas and metal salts. The gas facilitates the arc's initial strike. Once the arc is started, it heats and evaporates the metal salts forming a plasma, which greatly increases the intensity of light produced by the arc and reduces its power consumption."

It's important to note that there are a variety of HID types, e.g.,
Of which, we can assume the BMW OEM Hella HID lights would be "Xenon short-arc lamps" where "ionized xenon gas produces a bright white light that closely mimics natural daylight".

3. Xenon = I thought this was a noble gas (see #1 above); but you intimate it's a brand name ... so clarification is requested. You can put xenon inside any bulb, whether it be a "halogen filament bulb" or an "HID arc bulb", so it's rather meaningless (especially after the marketing guys figured that out); however, most bimmerfesters user the word "xenon" to indicate the HID bulbs in the BMW.

4. Celis = I thought this was the plastic ring that surrounds my OEM Hella projector filament headlights (see details here). Clarification requested.

5. Hella = the manufacturer of the OEM E39 headlights. Even though their adjusters are poorly designed, most people seem to prefer Hella brand headlights over the alternatives (DJ Auto, DDM, ??others??). I'm not sure if that preference is due to light output (which is mostly what matters to me), or quality (which also matters to me), or style (which is nearly meaningless to me).

Note: This pic re-used from this thread (so ignore the questions);

6. DDM = DDM Tuning. A company that sells aftermarket headlights, much like umnitza (who not only resells aftermarket headlights, but who also sells modified-aftermarket headlights, after tampering with the brand name).

7. DEPO/DJAUTO
= brand names for aftermarket headlights for the E39.
QUESTION: Are there any other manufacturers for E39 headlights other than Hella, DJAuto, and DEPO?

Please correct where I err (so we all benefit)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headlights.jpg
Views:	3708
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	252464  

Last edited by bluebee; 11-01-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Constantly Learning

Wow Blue! I'll try:

1. I'm one of those board members who in this context understand halogen to mean old technology headlights, not a kind of gas.

2. I don't think it's a subjective issue -- HID produces more light, lasts longer and draws less power (after ignition) Wikipedia has a good read under the search term "headlamp:"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp

3. I thought Xenon was a brand -- may be wrong. Though I'm pretty sure the technology is HID, and Xenon falls under that, not the other way around.

4. I think Celis is a Hella brand name -- refers to the "jeweled" tail lights on the 01+ models as well as the AEs

5. Hella quality is widely acknowledged as very high. Hella and Bosch led the development of projecter (ellipsoid) headlights in the 80s.

6. Correct

7. I've seen Hella, Bosch and ZKW referred to as OEM suppliers to BMW. The first two I'm aware of -- I've never gotten confirmation on ZKW.

Hope all this helps rather than hinders!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Constantly Learning

Just had another thought for this endless thread. This year BavAuto starting selling a HID upgrade kit for the first time. Often BavAuto is a little expensive, but unlike other vendors the phone reps usually know what they are talking about, and the company comes through on it's 100% guaranteed refund if you're not happy. (They admitted error and refunded me full cost of OE M-Tech bumper kit, a pretty big sum)

Could be worth a call to explain fitment issues, Blue. The brand they resell is called ION.

Funny how for this and other lighting products they have to say "for off road use only" to protect themselves legally.

P.S. You think our cars heads are bad -- I'm trying to help a friend with a 2007 E93 328, and I'm finding threads in which owners can't even agree on what the turn, DRL and AE lights are!

Last edited by Edgy36-39; 11-01-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Could be worth a call to explain fitment issues, Blue.
I think I'm fine as all I need are new adjusters.

To summarize from a bunch of threads, I've determined the original Hella headlights adjusters are the brittle PBT plastic (similar to PET) while I was able to make new adjusters by hand out of both Delrin and HDPE plastic for about 75 cents each (and I have $102 machined aluminum adjusters on order just so I can measure them for the team).

The relevant threads are:
- Can you show me on this pic where the headlight adjusters are? ( 1 2)
= List options available (sorted by cost) for 2001-2003 E39 broken headlight adjusters by bluebee
- What is the plastic in the OEM Hella and aftermarket DJAuto & Depo BMW E39 headlights? by bluebee
- How to choose H7 high/low beam replacement bulbs (3100K to 4000K) by bluebee
- What is the PRACTICAL difference of post-facelift halogen Hellas vs non-filament HIDs by bluebee
- Just curious about 2002 halogen headlights once taken apart by bluebee
- Do all our E39's have SEPARATE horizontal and vertical headlight adjustment alignment by bluebee
- Tips on Opening Headlight by Zane39
- Headlight issues. by BentValve
etc.

Last edited by bluebee; 11-05-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 120k
Quick question. On the post-facelift configuration:
Xenon Low beams use "D2S" bulbs (usually $50/each)
But, the high beam just uses halogen H7 bulbs (under $10/each)

Is that correct?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Constantly Learning

Bulb designations are correct, can't vouch for the prices.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM

For the record, this was posted today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by occhis View Post
Does anyone else feel that the light bulbs in E39s burn out at a faster rate than in other cars? Specifically, i'm talking about headlights (halogen), and rear tail lights & brake lights.

I've had many cars over the last 45 years and I swear I've replaced more bulbs in this E39 than in all the rest combined!
EDIT: BTW, as an aside, I replaced the right side low beam H7 just this month so they lasted from the beginning of this thread 'till now, IIRC.

See also:
- Headlight aiming DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to physically remove the BMW E39 Hella headlights (1) & how to twist out the headlight bulbs (1) (2) (3) including HIDs (1) & which stock H7 'halogen' bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3) & how to physically remove the front turn signal bulb (1) (2) (3) (4) & what front turn signal bulb to replace it with (1) & how to remove the angel eye bulb (1) (2) (3) & which stock angel-eye bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3) & how to retrofit halogen angeleye bulbs to LEDs (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to modify pre-facelift headlights to angel eyes (1) (2) (3) (4) & headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & replacing just the headlight lens (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & how to cross reference all light bulbs for any BMW E39 including for the headlights, stoplights, backup, blinkers, dome, vanity, side markers, licplate, parking, fog, trunk/boot, glovebox, etc. (1) & more information if you really want to know everything about broken headlight adjusters (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) & how to make your own headlight adjusters (0) (1) (2) (3) and a summary list of all your options when your headlight adjusters are broken (1) & headlight autopsy photos (1) (2) (3) & an explanation of the weird flat spot on the USA spec headlights (1) (2) & an explanation of HID versus conventional headlights and why the high beam is always a halogen H7 bulb (1) (2) (3) & the age-old argument of whether to buy aftermarket DJ Auto or Depo headlights (1) or OEM Hellas (1).

And:
- How to cross reference all light bulbs for any BMW E39 including for the headlights, stoplights, backup, blinkers, dome, vanity, side markers, licplate, parking, fog, trunk/boot, glovebox, etc. (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 03-13-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Joel

Mein Auto: E39
1. My Silverstars H7 high beams are over 3 years old and they have lasted well. The Low beams are HID OE.
2. I am looking at HID conversion for the hi beams as the spread is pretty poor on the OE Hellas H7.

Searched this thread and the forum for the appropriate recommendation/suggestions on a good HID kit conversion for the high beams. Have not found one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The head light adjusters are definitely broken, so I have to fix it.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 PM

For the record, this was asked today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagates View Post
I keep reading that the composite headlights are size H7..but the stock sockets and connectors on mines are for 9006 or 9005 bulbs... im confused can anyone clarify this for me?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i/6
all i know is my philips nightguides are the brightest high beams i've ever seen. they make the ones that came with my headlights (whatever umnitza puts in their dj autos) look like candlelight and are much brighter than any other cars i've driven

Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 PM

The OP updated that question about the 9006 which is included below so the next person picks up where he left off:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagates View Post
I figured it...i didnt realize the h7's went into the 9006 housing
Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 5/2000 BMW 540i M-Sport
Looking for Opinions

I have a build date 5/2000 '00 540i
I want to alter my current inner most headlights that serve as DRL's and high beam to pass. I do not like the yellow DRL aspect. I've found options, and would like to hear opinions as to what a good option is. Let me preface, I don't terribly care about the highbeam to pass part, just don't want yellow DRL. I should also preface I'm poor.

1. Replace the stock 9005 bulb with a white/blue 9005 bulb for +/- $15
2. Get LED 9005 bulbs w/ resistors. I'm not sure the difference between all these bulbs, not sure how thrilled I am to mess w/ adding resistors +/- $30
3. Get a dealer or Indy to turn DRL's off, unknown cost
4. Bite the bullet, save up $ and buy aftermarket DEPO headlights w/ angel eyes and compatible w/ my existing HID low beams +/- $340

I've read H7 bulbs fit in the housing, but it appears any bulb in H7 also comes in 9005

Thank you in advance
Old 05-16-2013, 03:37 PM

Go with option 1. You already stated:
1. You don't care about high beam output.
2. You want a whiter output.
3. You have no money.
This option meets all three criteria. Mission accomplished.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: 5/2000 BMW 540i M-Sport
Too much logic to disagree with

Thanks Fudman. And thank you for all your posts that have helped me over the past couple months in various threads.

I went with 65W Osram H7 that I saw someone post about on this thread. Buuuut I got them off eBay. Aaand it says they're for off road. $14.80 though. No way this can go wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	376914