Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5
x5 start problem

my 2005 X5 sometimes wont start in the morning.it will start 2 or 3 days in a row then the next day nothing but clicking.sometimes even after 1 day.i took it in and the battery was fine,when I jump it to start it it fires up right away.i check the battery and its at 14 volts.anybody have similar problems ,need some insight.
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2017, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlc8165 View Post
my 2005 X5 sometimes wont start in the morning.it will start 2 or 3 days in a row then the next day nothing but clicking.sometimes even after 1 day.i took it in and the battery was fine,when I jump it to start it it fires up right away.i check the battery and its at 14 volts.anybody have similar problems ,need some insight.
Are you checking your battery voltage before you jump start it when it won't start? You could have an intermittent parasitic drain that gets masked by jump starting.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:49 PM

thanks,i will check the battery before the next start.what is a intermittent parasitic drain.never heard of it.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
thanks,i will check the battery before the next start.what is a intermittent parasitic drain.never heard of it.
It is where something doesn't go to sleep like it is supposed to after it is shut off. The X5 is designed to "go to sleep" 16 minutes after the car is shut off and there is nothing done to wake it up (like opening a door). There are multiple electrical systems that go to sleep. When one of them doesn't, it drains the battery. Usually over night.

I had this same problem. I'd go to start the car in the morning and dead battery. Jump start and every thing fine for about a week. Then it happened again. Jump start again and everything ok for a week again. Then it happened again and again and again. Finally tracked it down to the telematic not going to sleep. Started out intermittent until it was virtually constant.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 AM

question is how or what is the fix.thank you.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
question is how or what is the fix.thank you.
If it is the telematic and you don't use bluetooth, disconnect it. IF that is the cause. If you do have parasitic drain it could be any number of things. The easiest way to figure it out is to do testing with an ammeter to determine draw after the car is supposed to go to sleep. Anything over about .4 amps means something isn't sleeping that should. To chase that down you basically have to start pulling fuses until you find the circuit with the draw, then you'll know.

If you have lots of time, you can pull a bunch of fuses and then check the car the next morning. If it starts, insert one fuse and wait until the next morning. If it is drained you know that circuit is the problem. If it starts, insert another fuse and so on.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:29 PM

thank you for your help.i will try your suggestions.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search