Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Having paint corrected

So, the dealer washed my car so they sent it to a body repair shop to have this fixed. My question is... If the body shop takes too much clear coat off will the clear coat wear off faster or oxidize?

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats

Last edited by Nerdboss; 06-16-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2014, 04:49 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Yes, if the shop "takes too much clear off" then you could even have ruined paint with basecoat exposed. Define too much. The top portion of the clear has the UV inhibitors, so yes, "too much clear off", your paint will certainly oxidize quicker.

Luckily BMW paint is considerably thicker than econobox paints of Toyota, Honda, and especially Mazda.

I wouldn't have a "body shop" do my detailing work. I know the very top end shops should have a qualified detailer, but I wouldn't necessarily trust "some random shop that I've never heard of or even asked about" to do my paint correction. I'd ask for the cost of this project, and see if they would let you put that towards detailer of choice.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
So, the dealer washed my car so they sent it to a body repair shop to have this fixed. My question is... If the body shop takes too much clear coat off will the clear coat wear off faster or oxidize?
A body shop is going to cover up most of the defects with a filling product like glaze and send you on your way. Often they end up inducing more paint defects than the paint originally had! Body shops work on the body and painting of your car, most of them don't really focus on the actual finish of the paint.

Paint is about as thick as a sheet of paper on your car for all the layers. You are correct in assuming that a thinner clear coat will wear faster. Any time you detail a car with a polish/compound you are removing a very tiny amount of paint. This is why detailers begin with the least aggressive method and then move up to more aggressive ones.

Ask for your car back and the dealer to pay an independent detail shop to do the work. If they could mess up your paint enough to the point of needing a detail I wouldn't trust them with much.
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige
Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 PM

I got the car back. It looks alright... There is still some swirls and rotary holograms in the paint. It seems to of looked better when I applied some sealant as the paint was bare.

I'm afraid to do anymore work myself as I don't know how much clear coat they took off. Should I just apply some sealent and live with it? It looks good until I shine a flashlight on it. I've only seen it in the evening time around 5 so I'm not sure.

Anything I can do or should I leave it alone? Anybody have an idea how much it would cost to have this thing repainted if the clear coat fails in the next couple of years or is the car pretty much totaled at that point? What a giant mistake I made.

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 06-17-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Yes, if the shop "takes too much clear off" then you could even have ruined paint with basecoat exposed. Define too much. The top portion of the clear has the UV inhibitors, so yes, "too much clear off", your paint will certainly oxidize quicker.

Luckily BMW paint is considerably thicker than econobox paints of Toyota, Honda, and especially Mazda.

I wouldn't have a "body shop" do my detailing work. I know the very top end shops should have a qualified detailer, but I wouldn't necessarily trust "some random shop that I've never heard of or even asked about" to do my paint correction. I'd ask for the cost of this project, and see if they would let you put that towards detailer of choice.
How do you know that the paint is thicker?

The scratches that were there before are still visible. The holograms dissapeared when I applied Mcguires ultimate wax.

At this point I'm hoping the paint isn't already ruined. I can't afford to have the car repainted for 8k if the clear starts to fail.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x1 xdrive28i
Most clear coat defects such as swirls, holograms, and orange peel are extremely shallow compared to the depth of the clear coat, so if done carefully, you can correct several times before you start breaking through to the basecoat. Deeper scratches that require sanding are another story. In the future, find a professional detailer instead of a body shop for paint corrections. Turn to a body shop to fix dents, replace or repaint panels, but if clear coat is still present, let a detailer work on that.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:36 AM
Speed's mentor...

Mein Auto: 650i, 2010
Couple of thoughts...

1) You did not mention how the damage accured, unless I misunderstood the original post. If the Dealer caused the damage and then repaired it, I would be absolutely sure to have a Service ticked that details what happened. And if you are able, note in some way that premature oxidation or paint / clear coat failure will be remedied as it occurs.
2) I know there is a device that measures paint / clear coat thickness. I've never seen one because I've not needed to. However, such a device may be helpful to determine the difference in thicknesses of the original paint compared to the repaired area.

FWIW - I had my Saphire Black car, wet sanded and polished by a local professional. The results were amazing! The car literally glistened upon its return to me. The shop who did it works on the personal cars of a local Dealership owner and really is a "Professional". He told me the same thing mentioned in an earlier post, "BMW paint is thick and hard" and for me to not worry about them sanding though it.

Good Luck

Last edited by Racer-X / 6'er; 06-18-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmouse View Post
Most clear coat defects such as swirls, holograms, and orange peel are extremely shallow compared to the depth of the clear coat, so if done carefully, you can correct several times before you start breaking through to the basecoat. Deeper scratches that require sanding are another story. In the future, find a professional detailer instead of a body shop for paint corrections. Turn to a body shop to fix dents, replace or repaint panels, but if clear coat is still present, let a detailer work on that.
Alright, i'm assuming since some of the older scratches are not completely removed that the car probably still has plenty of clear coat left??

I applied some wax last night and the car looks pretty good. There was some weird fingerprint mark on the hood that is gone as well as the scratches around the door handles.

How much would it cost to have a detailer fix the car. Does anybody know of a good detailer in Oklahoma?

Old 06-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Well the car still has the factory orange peel texture, I'm guessing it's safe to say that the clear coat is still durable enough to last?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:35 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
How do you know that the paint is thicker?
I've used a PTG on all of the brands, not even enough to say it is statistically significant, but having read what some pros have said, it is what I believe or know. For instance, I did a new car prep with Opti Coat on my brother's new Toyota. The very thickest spot I could find was thinner than the very thinnest spot I could find on my half decade old BMW that had been polished multiple times.

Quote:
Well the car still has the factory orange peel texture, I'm guessing it's safe to say that the clear coat is still durable enough to last?
I think everyone agrees that you are worrying waaaaaay too much about this, as long as you don't compound your mistake of trusting the same people who swirled it to begin with. Dealer "free swirls on the house" happens every day in every state in every city. You just suck it up and: do it yourself, or pay a reputable detailer. Try asking for a pro rec at detailing forums, there are a number of them out there. This subforum doesn't get much traffic in comparison to those. Now you say you're too scared to DIY, or don't feel you should be responsible to pay: that's why I said ask if they would donate toward your cause. If not, you can worry and pray and cry and pull your hair out, or just get it done right, finally. My 2 cents and opinion, gl whatever you do!!!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: f10 550i
Quote:
i think everyone agrees that you are worrying waaaaaay too much about this, as long as you don't compound your mistake of trusting the same people who swirled it to begin with.

+1