Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i XDrive
Waterblade or squeegee?

Any thought on using something like this "Waterblade" for the initial pass to remove excess water after washing, and then following up with a good drying towel?

I have a dark blue E90 with perfect paint, no swirls and want to keep it that way...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2TGY5I53GXLLY

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...geqRoCjGTw_wcB
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2015, 05:58 PM
C code: 405/3

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe
Dark blue. It's going to show imperfections way more than white or light grey. I'd actually stay away from both the waterblade and the squeegee type of products.
The first little bit of crud trapped on the blade is going to put a huge longitudinal scratch in your clearcoat and you're going to throw that waterblade into the next county.
Safe drying can be done a couple of ways -
a) a good drying towel. The Dry Me Crazy from Car Pro or other sites works very well. Apparently there's a Dry Me a River too. Catchy names but they work extremely well for drying.
b) electric leafblower plus a drying towel like the DMC.

The better the wax/sealant you have, the easier/quicker the leafblower works and the extra benefit is that wheels, cracks, nooks, crannies, also get dried at the same time.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 435i
I've used that same water blade in your photo for about 9 years on jet black paint. I haven't noticed any scratches caused by it. But, if you choose to not use it and just dry with a towel, you can minimize the amount of water on your car once you're done washing to make drying easier. Take off the hose nozzle and just let water stream down out of the hose very close to your car so that there is no splashing. Water will sheet off the car that way (compared to if you were to just spray the car from a distance, small water drops would be everywhere).

2015 435i Coupe | M Sport | Estoril Blue | ED - April 16, 2015
2006 325i Sedan | Jet Black (Sold)
Old 02-05-2015, 09:21 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnderEstimated
Mein Auto: '14 335i M Sport
I would never use anything like that across my paint! I can only imagine if a small piece of debris was caught inbetween the blade and paint...

If you're washing the car with a standard hose, why not just sheet the water off? I do it all the time.

Instagram: @warrenandjessica
Old 02-05-2015, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Yes, sheeting the water off works very well. Works even better if you orient the water flow from high on the car to low. For example, orient the hose so that water flows from the top of the hood at the cowl toward the headlights. This sheets off much more water. Also, a good wax and/or sealant helps.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i GT xDrive
+1 on the leaf blower, works for blowing off snow too. A big backpack gas blower works even better than a wimpy little girly man electric blower.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to jaybarr
Mein Auto: M6 GRAND COUPE
I would prefer getting a squeegee . Though it is one of the most conventional methods of cleaning, it is more efficient. I bought a squeegee from better living dispenser. It costed about $25.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: f10 550i
Get a Dry Me Crazy towel. When I have used traditional waffle weave towels I have had to use several towels to dry the car. With the Dry Me Crazy you only need one towel. There is no need for a blade. You will not believe the difference this towel makes.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search