Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:59 PM
dé•jŕ Vroom (da•zhä Vroom

Send a message via AIM to dsheli
Mein Auto: GulfStream G450
So I just want to make sure (before I start sanding my car) this will work for deep 1 mm rock chips (Corner of a rock hit my hood). When do you use the Machine Polish 1, 2, and 3? What kind of machine polisher is that? Looks good and small.
Thanks,
David
Old 02-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Some sand paper, a little machine polish and a pencil eraser.....Amazing!!! If you took your car to the dealership I bet they'd charge atleast $350 to get rid of that chip.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330cic
Are there any differences in the random orbitals? I have one that was given to me which is a Road Xpedition brand. I am concerned about burning the paint.

thx
Old 09-28-2005, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i Convertible
Mike's Autobody

Hi! This is actually partially a plug for Mike's Autobody in Malden, MA. So, recently, my wife accidentally scrapped the bottom edge of the driver's side door of our new E60 on an elevated curb while opening it. There was paint damage and some chipping on the edge, but you couldn't see it unless you actually looked at the bottom edge with a handheld mirror. We went to many places to have the damage looked at and got various quotations for proposed repairs (some really outrageous ones too!). When Mike saw it, he told us (1) that the door was aluminium and therefore we do not need to worry about rust issues (our main worry at that point), (2) he proceeded to paint the surface using touch-up paint (he put on two coats waiting for each coat to dry before applying another) and clear-coat, and (3) he charged us a grand total of *nothing* for the service. All he wanted was to create goodwill with a potential future customer.

I'm personally extremely happy with his service and honesty and thought Boston area bimmer owners may want to know this info. But, I do have a question: is Mike right about the doors of the E60 being aluminium??

Cheers,
Suntan

2006 550i, Monaco Blue, Beige Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Sold - 2006 330i, Monaco Blue, Beige Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Sold - 2006 SLK350, Iridium Silver, Black Leather, 7-speed AT, Comfort Package, Heating Package.

Sold - 2006 530i, Titanium Gray, Black Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Rip - thanks for posting this.

I have need for this technique for the first time this week. I discovered what looked like a tree sap stuff on the hood and it was actually a paint chip.

Thanks for the info!

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi
This is exactly what i needed

I hit my e46 with a column on the back. where did you buy your BMW paint? at the dealer or can u order it online?
Old 11-10-2005, 06:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to BimmersRule!
Mein Auto: 325I
You can go to the dealer or an OEM like Dupont and the paint is available online to order. Dupont is approved by BMWNA: http://www.spiesheckerusa.com/bowstreet5/webengine/dpc/common/Controller/Action!_pageDispatcher/InnerModel!dpc/modules/Login/OuterModel!dpc/common/Controller/InnerAction!visitorAction . I just ran over something metal last night and have a few choice scratches. I will be implementing this procedure on my car as soon as the product comes in.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: M3
LANGKA Kit

I have been using the LANGKA kit for several months now. It works very nicely. You can't get it in stores but its available directly from their web site. Here's the kit LANGKA paint chip repair kit and here's the howto for it http://www.langka.com/paint_chip_repair.php
Old 12-18-2005, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5 series
has anyone tried Final Touch to fix chips/scratches?

Last edited by wally719; 12-18-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 525i
Non-Metal Portion

Will the procedures outlined above also work on the plastic portions of my BMW? I have a nick right below the back passenger side door (i.e. plastic portion).
Old 02-12-2006, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: E93-35 May08 ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fast
I have been using the LANGKA kit for several months now. It works very nicely. You can't get it in stores but its available directly from their web site. Here's the kit LANGKA paint chip repair kit and here's the howto for it http://www.langka.com/paint_chip_repair.php
Thanks for the info on LANGKA. I just ordered it and going to try it out.
E93-35 ED 5/2/08 completed 16:20.
Montego/Jade Gray, Gray Poplar trim, Step w/Paddles, PP, SP, CA, Heated Seats & iPod. 24-mth lease with 19,250 mi/yr. Re-delivery 6/20/08 (1st day of summer); 7-wks total.
[/SIZE]

De-badged 330xi/Mystic Blue/Gray Leather/Alumin. trim/Auto/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seat/alarm. ED date 11/14/05 and redelivery completed 1/14/06. Sold to Carmax 6/7/08 w/ 50,650 miles on the clock
Old 02-13-2006, 07:07 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roderi5638
Will the procedures outlined above also work on the plastic portions of my BMW? I have a nick right below the back passenger side door (i.e. plastic portion).
I don't think so, once you penetrate the clear coat of the plastic I think you'd probably ruin the plastic beneath it. And to be honest, I'm not even sure if the plastic HAS clear coat...
Old 02-13-2006, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif65GM
Thanks for the info on LANGKA. I just ordered it and going to try it out.
I've tried this product. Its okay, but doesn't work like sanding/touch up does...matter of fact, some of the paint has already come out of the areas I used LANGKA on...seems that LANGKA removes too much paint for the shallow scratches. I've not tried it on a really deep scratch. Works well with rock chip spots though!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: E93-35 May08 ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripsnort
Works well with rock chip spots though!
Thanks for the info. I'mm planning to use it on a rock chip spot.
E93-35 ED 5/2/08 completed 16:20.
Montego/Jade Gray, Gray Poplar trim, Step w/Paddles, PP, SP, CA, Heated Seats & iPod. 24-mth lease with 19,250 mi/yr. Re-delivery 6/20/08 (1st day of summer); 7-wks total.
[/SIZE]

De-badged 330xi/Mystic Blue/Gray Leather/Alumin. trim/Auto/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seat/alarm. ED date 11/14/05 and redelivery completed 1/14/06. Sold to Carmax 6/7/08 w/ 50,650 miles on the clock
Old 02-21-2006, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: '99 323i bmw
Yeah, I have a '99 323i and I am pretty clumsy myself when it comes to repair work. What do I need to tell the "repair"
person I am going to have to hire to make sure they know how to fix the scar on my finish. I also want my paint to look like new again.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:23 AM
I love my BMW.

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I recieved my first rock chip this week (damn rock was hugh, saw it coming). Taking sandpaper to my new car is not something I will do with out cringing......I have to ask, is it really harmful? Sorry if I seem a little afraid, because I am, but by little, I mean a lot!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:44 AM
BMWCCA #417796

Mein Auto: e46
My 328i has many small chips in the paint from a hail storm. They are so small and dont seem too deep, but buffing them out with a scratch remover isnt working. Do you think this method will work for me?

For Sale: Wahler Thermostat
Old 03-26-2006, 10:26 AM
XDriver

Send a message via AIM to flahertb
Mein Auto: 325xi & X3 & Z4
What about scratshes that aren't quite so deep?

Thanks for the excellent post. I need a suggestion for fixing some scratches that are not quite so deep.

Some kids threw a stick at my wife's X3 on Friday. The one stick bounced off the hood leaving 3-4 good scratches. I think they just scratched the clear coat. Any suggestions on the best way to get them out? Will buffing with the Griots work?

TX
Old 04-05-2006, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flahertb
Thanks for the excellent post. I need a suggestion for fixing some scratches that are not quite so deep.

Some kids threw a stick at my wife's X3 on Friday. The one stick bounced off the hood leaving 3-4 good scratches. I think they just scratched the clear coat. Any suggestions on the best way to get them out? Will buffing with the Griots work?

TX
If they've just penetrated the clear coat, Machine Polishing should work. I've only got experience with Griots machine polishes, so I can't comment on other products.

If they scratches are deep (where white shows through which is primer, and you can feel the scratch with your fingernail) you may have to paint touch up.

Its scarey taking sand paper to your finish, but if you have the right tools to buff it out again, don't worry!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: '02 330ci
I have a cheapie craftsman random orbital buffer that delivers 3800 opm. Would that be sufficient to buff out the scratches and chips if I have all of the other tools? Or do I have to invest in the porter cable which delivers 2500 - 6000 opm.

Thanks for your help and this great write up.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:26 PM
BMWCCA #417796

Mein Auto: e46
Tried this method yesterday. Today at luch I noticed that I have spots like in the first picture of the second post all over my hood. They werent there yesterday after I used the scratch remover. Could it be because I didnt use Griot? I am so mad right now

For Sale: Wahler Thermostat
Old 07-11-2006, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325 Convertible
drcolorchip touch up paint

Try drcolorchip for paint chip repair. They make a one color touch up kit. The website says you need your paint code, but I only gave them the color name when I ordered. Haven't seen anything better unless you count the $1000 body shop respray job. It won't work miracles on key scratches but the chips came out great. No wetsanding either!
Old 07-31-2006, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Detailer
Try drcolorchip for paint chip repair. They make a one color touch up kit. The website says you need your paint code, but I only gave them the color name when I ordered. Haven't seen anything better unless you count the $1000 body shop respray job. It won't work miracles on key scratches but the chips came out great. No wetsanding either!
Have you tried Landka? Any comparisons? I'm asking because I've tried Langka and wasn't really impressed. Too much paint is taken out by the "bulb eliminator". How is drcolorchip?

Old 09-10-2006, 06:32 AM
Token Canadian

Mein Auto: '97 Z3 2.8, '09 Hemi Ram
I had the dubious distinction of being the "poster car" for Dr. Colorchip at this year's Homecoming. Nothing like a black paint job for showing off a pile of rock chips. They spent a few hours on my Z3 to demonstrate their product.

By nature I'm a pessimist, so I was pleasantly surprised by the results. This is a very simple (and it seems effective) method for covering up those nasty chips. It doesn't fill in the hole, but definately makes the car look better.

I'm still on holidays, but will post a few "before & after" pics when I get home.
Margaret Thatcher

Old 09-15-2006, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325 Convertible
Yes, I've tried langka and was not overly impressed. It was ok on one or two chips, but if you have many to fix it will take you forever. You have to wait a day or so to let the paint dry and then use the stuff- which is basically a reducer of some sort- to rub away the blotches of paint. The Dr Colorchip kit is nice since it comes with the paint you need and the solution to remove the paint blotches. But you can do it all right on the spot with no real waiting time. For the price of langka and a bottle of touch up paint, you can get the Dr Colorchip kit and be done in an hour or less. Of course the body shop is still the best way if you want the car to look like it never had any chips at all.