Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 10-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i (Auto)
Guido & Center Drive Shaft Bearing

I can't find a full DIY for E38s.

Here is what I have found so far and they are all incomplete (what tools, more pictures, videos, etc.)

I am considering using E39 or E46 walkthrough's I have found.

Also, sad because last weekend it was a coil pack, this weekend its the driveshaft knocking around. Wished it was just another coil!! Anyone in the greater phoenix area who wants to blow a day turning wrenches with me let me know! ha!

99' 740il
02' 530i
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2016, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 00 750iL, 99 540iT, 05 MC
Get the car in the air. Drop the exhaust
Remove exhaust shielding - thank the deity of your choice that you are in AZ, and not a rust belt state. Remove guibo bolts. Remove rear cv joint to diff. Have a helper step on brakes - these are on tight. Drop center bearing, remove driveshaft. MARK the front and rear, so you put it back with the spline in the same location - use a punch, or something very permanent. Swap center bearing. Install new guibo - check for orientation - take picture of old one before removing from transmission output shaft. Reinstall driveshaft - you need a new seal at the CV to diff connection. Load the center bearing when installing - bolt it all up and load it last - check the manual, but I just pushed it forward 5 or 6 mm. The rest is putting it back. Check the torque values on guibo and cv bolts.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlesandsam View Post
Remove exhaust shielding - thank the deity of your choice that you are in AZ, and not a rust belt state. Remove guibo bolts. Remove rear cv joint to diff. Have a helper step on brakes - these are on tight. Drop center bearing, remove driveshaft. MARK the front and rear, so you put it back with the spline in the same location - use a punch, or something very permanent. Swap center bearing. Install new guibo - check for orientation - take picture of old one before removing from transmission output shaft. Reinstall driveshaft - you need a new seal at the CV to diff connection. Load the center bearing when installing - bolt it all up and load it last - check the manual, but I just pushed it forward 5 or 6 mm. The rest is putting it back. Check the torque values on guibo and cv bolts.
Awesome, so it is very much like the 5 series walkthroughs and E32 walkthroughs. Thanks!

Any idea on the tools list? What size sockets and such I will need? Im guessing its the same as the 540 walkthroughs I have watched/read.

Thanks again for confirming! I didn't think about that rear seal. Might as well do diff lube while im at it.

99' 740il
02' 530i
Old 10-08-2016, 07:33 AM

Yes, it will be very much like that. You will want 2 guys for the exhaust - it is unwieldy because of the length and weight.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:37 PM

I cant get the driveshaft to guibo bolts out. I busted a wrench trying.

Ive seen videos of people using heat and penetrating lubricant. Which I may try or rent an impact wrench.

However I was thinking.... Which is dangerous...

Is it possible to drop the center bearing and seperate the deiveshaft in order to pull the front half of the driveshaft out of transmission?

Quote:
Old 10-15-2016, 06:22 PM

No, that would not be a good way. What tools are you using, and how high up is the car? I would use a 6 point socket on a 1/2 inch breaker bar. Do you have air tools?
Old 10-15-2016, 08:22 PM

After round 3 of penatrating fluid (against the advise of DIY posts) and a 24 inch breaker bar I got them off. Still took all of my might.

I destroyed 2 cheap wrenches and had to go get a real wrench from harbor freight.

Called it quits for the night. Still have to disconnect the rear. Will need to clean up the nuts and bolts. Cant get the nuts back on the bolts with your fingers.

Thanks again you guys for the insights and walkthrough help!

Quote:
No, that would not be a good way. What tools are you using, and how high up is the car? I would use a 6 point socket on a 1/2 inch breaker bar. Do you have air tools?
Old 10-15-2016, 10:00 PM

Yeah, you need good tools for this. Craftsman is my minimum for this

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)
Today's Posts Search