Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-01-2015, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto:
Trouble with a code all of a sudden

I have a 2000 bmw 740il and all of a sudden this code popped up 31 gear monitoring any help would be appreciated thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2001 330xi
How is it shifting? Smooth through all the gears?

How about when you put it in R or D, is there any delay before you feel the gear bite?

Have you noticed if your RPM's are higher than usual while driving?

After...(this may take a few years, it's my DD and I have bigger projects)

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
2000 Impala LS - because you need something to beat the snot out of in a Michigan winter
1999 BMW 740i - why do I have Chevy's again?
2001 BMW 330xi - father/son project time!
Old 09-01-2015, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto:
Rpm higher hen usually no power etc on what you said

I was driving then came to a stop then the car had no power at all had to rest the codes then the car came back to life but wouldn't shift and high rpms it the tranny or sensors huh FML
Old 09-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2001 330xi
Mine hasn't totally crapped out yet but it has made me do a lot of reading, so I don't have the experience but do have a bit of knowledge (when memory serves on my good days).

Do you have steptronic? If so, how does it shift manually?
How many miles?
Has the fluid/filter ever been changed?

Typically a low battery will cause a TFS before the battery even comes on, but your problem sounds like a real transmission problem. Higher than normal RPM's is likely the torque converter and shifting problems are often the valve body. Transmission issues can get expensive real fast so typically the first thing to do is change the fluid/filter (drain and refill - NOT "flush"). If the fluid is the problem you just saved $1500-$4000 over rebuilding/swapping the whole transmission, if it wasn't you are only out $100-$200. It has been said that changing the fluid can wreck the transmission (speaking of OLD fluid), but in cases like yours it may already be wrecked.

Typical codes are something like "P0123" to which you may get many responses. Your code of "31" doesn't fit that format but google will show something. I'm curious...dealership? That code is in hexadecimal so you could also try google with 49 or 049 (hex 31 = 3x16 + 1 = decimal 49).

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)
Today's Posts Search