Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: Florida
Brake light problem e38

I have a brake light issue and would like some help. Both rear brake light are on from the time the ignition key is turned to position 1. I replaced the brake pedal switch and there was no change. Even if I disconnect the brake pedal switch the lights remain on. Even the third brake light.
I went ahead and changed out the LCM with a used one but all the lights in the car got turned on. ie haad lights(low beam), park lights, brake lights.
I did have an issue with the oil level sensor immediately after doing a timing guide job. So it is now disconnected(but no warnings for that is being displayed.
I opened both the original and used LCM and did not see any issued with burned, overheated, or water damage.
Would appreciate an advice.
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2016, 10:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i Sport
I would put my money on the ignition switch. About a $30.00 item on Ebay and about 1 hour DIY or the brake switch. Or you have a electric short which is the worst as it is so hard to find these things. but i would start with the ignition switch. I just replaced mine using these instructions. You dont have to pull the dash off or the knee bolster. He went a little overboard. Again a big heads up! I didn't have to do the section of the video 2:47 thru 3:42. This is overboard.

And this is the brake switch which is the last thing to consider

BUT first try this!!! Make sure your nav unit powers down first and make sure your key is not in your ignition.

1) Disconnect the battery at the rear -both the negative (first) and the positive (second)
2) Tie these positive and negative leads together with some locking pliers. remember that the battery is completely disconnected. Avoid touching the negative or positive terminals. The battery must be completely disconnected. No power to the vehicle. This may sound redundant but some folks need it.
3) Turn the ignition all the way to position #2
4) Wait about 10 minutes then remove the key from the ignition FIRST! . I repeat remove the key from the ignition first!!!!!, then step 5 and 6.
5) Connect the positive lead
6) Connect the negative lead

A little battery sleep might solve a weird electric gremlin. It is free and it might help you.

Last edited by tomloans; 02-17-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:00 AM

Thank you for the response. I will try this Saturday. Or sooner.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandash View Post
Thank you for the response. I will try this Saturday. Or sooner.
Any news?
Old 03-05-2016, 05:18 PM

Brale light issue

I tried the reset and it did not work.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E32;E34;E38;R50;R55
I would suspect damaged loom or plug some where.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
I've just changed my wiper blades and now my reverse lights don't work. Should I change my fuel pump relay?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:15 PM

Haven't had time to check the wiring. But I am thinking if there is an open then there should be no lights. If there is a bridge it would affect other lights. If the pos was grounding it would deplete the battery. Any thoughts? I an looking to swap out the ignition switch and/or light switch but I was getting a rear fog lamp error. I notice BMW scanner says it is on but I cannot turn it off and there is no switch for the rear fog. Anyone?
Old 06-16-2016, 11:59 AM

Just to update. The car has been sitting and hardly driven since the brake light problem. I changed out the light switch and the tail light assemblies since one was leaking. No positive results. But about a month ago I drove the car about 30 miles and when I returned home about half hr after the battery was absolutely dead. In testing this I found a 4 amp draw when all was supposed to be sleeping. I limited this down to 2 fused one in the trunk and the other in the passenger side fuse box. I do not remember which fuses. Anyway I drove the car for a couple test runs and then reinstalled the fuses. The car has run good for a few weeks and then this weekend gone the same thing happened. I took the battery to recharge and installed it today. I will see if it starts tomorrow. The brake issue is still the same and now I am getting a trunk open message. also the remote no longer works on the trunk.
Much appreciation to Tomloans and BMWfatherfigure. Personally I have been very busy and not able to spend any time sorting out the problem. Hope I can get back to it soon. I got the ignition switch but I missplaced it before I had the chance to install it. I am sure its somewhere around.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)
Today's Posts Search