Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 10-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport (E39)
Amateur mistake - Battery Light & Trans Fail

I was checking for faulty ignition coils with the engine running. I pulled out one coil with the grounds, had my hand on the frame of the car and I got the shock of my life.. it went right through me. Since then, I had the battery light stay on although the alternator AND battery are good. Tested.

After that, running for a few minutes, my PRND lights do not illuminate and I get the trans-fail safe. I have checked fuse 22 which was notorious for both my symptoms. With optimism I checked that fuse, only to find it was still good. Now, I am scratching my head and any ideas? '98 740il

Last edited by BMW 3-SERIES; 10-08-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2016, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Unlock your cluster and run TEST 9 (before starting the vehicle & ignition in position 1) which will reveal the battery's voltage before ALL the control modules are running and putting a draw on the battery. It should read somewhere around 12 v and higher...if its at 11.89 volts...the battery's state of charge is at 0%. That is not to say it's dead...but it is relying more on its reserve capacity and cold cranking amps to get the car started.

After the engine is running...then TEST 9 is showing the alternator/charging system's voltage. Take note as you're driving around to see that it remains above 12.5 volts. If the alternator/charging system's voltage dips lower and is displaying lower than 12 volts at any consistent level...then that's why the BATTERY WARNING LIGHT is illuminating. The alternator/charging system is not maintaining a consistent level.

This can occur when the regulator in the alternator is going...or perhaps a belt or belt tensioner isn't tight is failing.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 10-09-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Unlock your cluster and run TEST 9 (before starting the vehicle & ignition in position 1) which will reveal the battery's voltage before ALL the control modules are running and putting a draw on the battery. It should read somewhere around 12 v and higher...if its at 11.89 volts...the battery's state of charge is at 0%. That is not to say it's dead...but it is relying more on its reserve capacity and cold cranking amps to get the car started.

After the engine is running...then TEST 9 is showing the alternator/charging system's voltage. Take note as you're driving around to see that it remains above 12.5 volts. If the alternator/charging system's voltage dips lower and is displaying lower than 12 volts at any consistent level...then that's why the BATTERY WARNING LIGHT is illuminating. The alternator/charging system is not maintaining a consistent level.

This can occur when the regulator in the alternator is going...or perhaps a belt or belt tensioner isn't tight is failing.
Alternator is putting in nice 13.8-14v, without dropping below 12v. They tested good.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:10 PM

From what I am gathering, the indy is saying he thinks its the cluster. He removed the ground for that bulb, and its still grounding.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)
Today's Posts Search