Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-02-2014, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: e39 5 series 2003
Rattle ato about 2,300 RPM

Hello everyone , i can't seem to find this anywhere so i thought you guys could help . I have a 2003 530i and there seems to be an issue with it when i drive at around 2300 RPM theres a rattle like sound , the car drives perfectly , when its in park and i do same thing theres no noise coming so i can't pin point it while I'm standing still , any help would be appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Mine does the exact same thing at the exact same rpm. It sounds like an exhaust rattle or a heat shield. I need to get under my car but don't have any time on my hands.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: e39 5 series 2003
Yessss!! That's what someone told me , it's nothing terrible but bothers the crap out of me , anyone expirience same thing please let me know what u did to fix it!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Might be the crossmember midway back on the exhaust system. As the rubber mounts age, they stretch, allowing contact.

Remove the crossmember to see if the noise goes away.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:33 AM

Mein Auto: e39
My heat shields are a bit loose and rattle a bit.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
I have tried to track down my rattle and can't!! Makes my damn beautiful BMW sound cheap and broken. Every time the car revs to or past about 2300 rpms it rattles and buzzes.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it???? I need help.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KowalskiBMW View Post
I have tried to track down my rattle and can't!! Makes my damn beautiful BMW sound cheap and broken. Every time the car revs to or past about 2300 rpms it rattles and buzzes.

I think it is the heat shields along the head just above the exhaust manifold. The rear one in particular has broken free at the rear portion. I looked into replacing these shields, but it looks like they are sandwiched between the manifold and the head. The noise would have to bother me a lot more before I would start taking the exhaust manifold off, with its eleven-year old rusty fasteners etc.
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
'95 M3 Cosmos Blk/Blk
Old 07-17-2014, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
How about your DISA Valve. I had a rattle , like the one your mentioning. I found out my valve was just about shot. Caught it in time and the pin that can dislodge, was still barly holding on. If that pin gets loose,,it can and will tear the valve out of any part of the cylinder it happens to enter.
Way to check and see if it's bad? While the engine is cranked and running,,lay your left ear carefully on the DISA Valve box--if you hear any clicking or rattle--it's probably gone--if you have someone give it a little gas--it will sound like marbles in a can clanking around--Hope That Helps
Old 07-17-2014, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KowalskiBMW View Post

Re-read my post. Act accordingly.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
I had a couple of rattles, one I finally found and fixed after 1.5 years. I believe I have a VANOS rattle between 2-3K rpm, but only when cold and does not last long. My other rattle occured also in about this range, and perhaps some at idle, but less so. I discovered this by accident. I wanted to look at the large ground cable under the car near the air compressor. I unscrewed the engine splash pan and found it cracked. The crack was at the right rear part of the tray. That particular screw goes into a bracket that was loose. The screw was quite small for the bracket so I found a larger machine screw which tightened all this up. All the other screws for the pan are screwed into much more substantial holes on the subframe. Sure enough, that took care of this very annoying rattle. I'm back to quiet other than a short-lived cold start rattle. Easy enough to check.