Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
The list of OEM suppliers (primary manufacturer) for parts often replaced on the E39

EDIT: Added links to each assertion, as per G-Moussa (and so that there is a place elsewhere to discuss alternative brands).

This post below from another thread today got me thinking whether we had a single-source reference that answers the question of WHO is the original equipment supplier (OE) of the various parts that need to be replaced in an E39.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
LUK is the OEM flywheel
Offhand, I know of a few - shown below in the order they came to me (we can organize later); I'm sure others can help flesh this out until it becomes a good look up table:
Note: For this thread, OEM means "THE" original manufacturer, not parts manufactured to the original equipment specifications (OES).
WIP: Work in progress: Please provide information!

See also:
- What parts should always be bought OEM (1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suppliers.jpg
Views:	2006
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	365096  

Last edited by bluebee; 03-06-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540i
I thought Bosch made the MAF? Also I have purchased Lemforder front control arms... Don't think they are original BMW equipment manufacturer, but one would think since the thread you provided is saying they make the rears
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights

Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Moussa View Post
I thought Bosch made the MAF?
Good catch!
I will remove the line for the MAF until we know the answer for sure.

I will update the first post until we get it right or until it locks up on me.
That way, if folks want to discuss the OEM supplier or alternative aftermarket suppliers they have a link to a thread for every part (this thread will ONLY be for OEM suppliers).

Each update to the list will now have a link to the thread which supports the supposition of the OEM supplier for that part.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Good catch!
I will remove the line for the MAF until we know the answer for sure.

I will update the first post until we get it right or until it locks up on me.
That way, if folks want to discuss the OEM supplier or alternative aftermarket suppliers they have a link to a thread for every part (this thread will ONLY be for OEM suppliers).

Each update to the list will now have a link to the thread which supports the supposition of the OEM supplier for that part.
Sounds good... don't quote me on it 100% but we can keep updating this hopefully and it will be a valuable tool.
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights

Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i Sport 5 Spd
You can add front and rear stabilizer/sway bar links under Lemförder.

As well as fan clutch under Sachs.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Bosch: Oxygen sensors (13477 & 15109), some spark plugs, some fuel pumps, some starters, some wiper blades

Siemens VDO: MAF, injectors, brake pads sensors, throttle body, AC condensor fan assembly, trunk release solenoid (actuator), door lock solenoids (actuator), power window motor & regulator assembly, brake master cylinder
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 03-06-2013, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
EDIT: Added links to each assertion, as per G-Moussa (and so that there is a place elsewhere to discuss alternative brands).

[*]Topran
[/I]
Bluebee Topran parts are total crap shoot. Topran doesn't manufacture it's parts it just packs parts that it buys. This means you can get a good part or total crap. Usually it's not that good. A local car parts store sells topran parts really cheap and I've mostly heard negative thing about them.. If you are lucky you can get a good part inside topran box. Example when you buy a wheel bearing you might get SKF. I never buy topran online, because I always want to check what is inside the box.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 PM

This PDF says the MAF is Siemens
- M52_technical_information.pdf (977.8 KB, 663 views)
Quote:
The Siemens mass air flow sensor is functionally the same as in the past. The designation 2 Type B simply indicates that it is smaller in design. The mass air meter has a diameter of 85 mm.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 PM

This post says the original waterpump is INA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie528iT View Post
The original pump is made by INA. Replaced mine after 160K kms with worn bearing. Not leaking but bearing noisy. Now at 195K kms and no problems. I expect it to go another 160K kms.

RonR
99 528iT M52TU
Old 08-13-2013, 04:50 PM

Does anyone know what manufacturer makes the DISA valve?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
This post says the original waterpump is INA:
I am not so sure about that.
AFAIK Wahler is the preferred WP manufacturer for BMW and any German made car.
Here is a link how to chose your T-stat
Wahler Thermostat catalog

INA is used for pullies.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 08-14-2013, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: e39 540i
TRW do the drag link assembly
Old 08-14-2013, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Does anyone know what manufacturer makes the DISA valve?
I just looked at my old DISA and there is a BMW logo and the other is two connected WWs with an arrow through it. It's always referred to as Genuine BMW.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: E39
tranny mounts corteco too right?

btw, good thread idea, valuable resource as some vendors are not immediately clear w this info...

Last edited by mng; 08-14-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
I just looked at my old DISA and there is a BMW logo and the other is two connected WWs with an arrow through it. It's always referred to as Genuine BMW.
Thanks Fudman.
I'm googling away and still can't find who the manufacturer is.
The best I can find is this blurb on the page for DISA valves at FCP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCP
About Genuine BMW

The original parts used by BMW to build your car are available as replacement parts under the "Genuine BMW" brand. Manufactured under the direction of BMW, expect excellent quality and a premium price since these parts are exclusively available through the BMW Dealership network. You may not realize this, but the parts that make up your BMW are not necessarily manufactured by BMW. No cause for concern, as BMW designs the part, hires a manufacturer and ensures its quality to you, including a 1 year warranty. In fact, many of these manufacturers have been making parts for BMW for decades and are experts in their own right. In our industry these manufacturers are called OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) or OES (Original Equipment Suppliers), and are often brands you recognize including Hella, Bosch, Bilstein and Lemforder. Don't be surprised to open that Genuine BMW parts box and find a Bosch branded part inside. If you are looking to buy Genuine BMW Parts online then you've come to the right place. FCP Euro offers both types of product – Genuine BMW and OEM/OES - from brands we trust to use on our own cars. If you have any questions on what options are available to you, just give us a call, we are happy to help.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:49 PM

From this thread:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > What are the dimensions & material of the power steering fluid reservoir cap o-ring?
The original supplier for the power steering reservoir cap M2x42 o-ring is apparently ZF lenksysteme.

Quote:
Note: The replacement O-ring is sold by a few vendors, (e.g., most who seem to get them from a company called "ZF", so we can call ZF to ask what they're made up of).
- ZF Lenksysteme GmbH, the joint venture between Robert Bosch GmbH and ZF Friedrichshafen AG, contact@zf-lenksysteme.com
I googled for the part number ,and all the sources said they bought their o-rings from ZF.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zf_lenk.png
Views:	1230
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	395517  
Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 AM

This thread intimates there may be two OEM suppliers of the windshield:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Broken windshield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob13567 View Post
Pilkington is the oem brand of the windshield
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa240sx View Post
I believe Sekurit Saint-Gobain could be the other OEM for the windshield.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 PM

Oil Level Sensor: Hella (Hella p/n: BPR 007 868 02) - for i6 M54

Last edited by doru; 09-18-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 528iT
Windscreen wipers, arms, blades etc are made by SWF which is part of the Valeo group. The original wipers are not made by Bosch.
SWF also make some plastic light parts. My touring has SWF tail light lenses.

RonR

Last edited by Aussie528iT; 09-20-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Oil Level Sensor: Hella (Hella p/n: BPR 007 868 02) - for i6 M54
Pleiades concurs with Hella for the oil level sensor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
I had received the "check oil level" message a couple of times despite the fact the level was good, so I decided to replace this sensor before it left me sitting on the side of the road.

I'm posting the ebay source of my new Hella sensor in case anyone else needs one of these for relatively cheap. The seller is speedlineconcept, who seems to have very good feedback and a supply of new BMW parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Engine-O...item4177091901

Amazon sells them as well, for a little bit more, but still less than other sites.

http://www.amazon.com/12617508003-6P...d_rhf_gw_s_t_6
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hella_sensor.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	397873  
Old 10-16-2013, 08:28 PM

The question was asked today who makes the OEM cooling system hoses:
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjoseph View Post
does anyone know who the OEM manufacturers are for the hoses?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 - 540i M-Sport
Fan Clutch is BEHR. (At least on the '03 540i.)
Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 PM

Here's another thread that says Siemens makes the MAF:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Every mechanic is picky... MAF replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
He probably meant Siemens - VDO.
That is the correct brand (OEM). And yes, if you use any other brand, it's a waste of $$$ & time.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:04 PM

I came here looking for the VCG manufacturer based on this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teklord69 View Post
The VCG that came out had brand "Victor Reinz" on it.. Is this original equipment?
I don't see what the OEM brand is, in this thread, so, maybe I'll find the OEM brand in the thread below ...
- Which VCG brand to buy (1) (2)

EDIT. Drat. Neither of those two threads said what the OEM valve cover gasket brand actually was.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528i M52TU
Just replaced my vacuum control valve and air pump control value. The originals were Peirburg, and I replaced them with same.