Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 325i / 335i
Lots of white smoke coming out of exhaust

A LOT of white smoke is now coming out of the exhaust. After doing some research, it seems like a head gasket issue?? I opened the engine bay and checked the oil dipstick. The oil is not milky, and looks normal. However, I saw some splashes of white dried liquid (probably coolant) near the coolant reservoir. Would a blown gasket cause that? Errr!!! The car is a 2002 325i with 58K miles.
Step | Oxford Green Metallic | Gray Leather | Sports Package | Harman Kardon | Heated Seats
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Fitness Freak {}=={}

Mein Auto: Lexus SC turbo
Probably head gasket. So low mileage though....... Anything crazy happened before? May be overheat or something else?

^ Highway Beast ^
SC300
2JZGE NA-T
Old 11-29-2008, 05:00 AM

I don't think it has overheated. I'm the second owner though! Few days ago, the startup idle was a little rough and that was it.
Step | Oxford Green Metallic | Gray Leather | Sports Package | Harman Kardon | Heated Seats
Old 11-29-2008, 05:10 AM
Escape Artist®

Mein Auto: MY 07 M Coupe
If it is coolant, and I think it is, the exhaust should smell like coolant.

2007 Interlagos Blue M Coupe
2004 325i and I'm not sure what color it is except for dark silver.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:03 AM
(o0\(III)(III)/0o)

Mein Auto: 99 E46 328i
Do you have an oily tailpipe? Mine looked like white smoke but was actually light blue. I ended up with a blown oil separator "CCV". Take your spark plugs out and check for black oil on them.

ADR gunmetal 18's, Clears up front & sides, DVD system mounted in headrests + 1 up front, Dinan CAI + software
Mirror tint all around, M-TECH II front bumper, Front and rear Foglights

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:30
Old 11-29-2008, 09:35 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov99328i View Post
Do you have an oily tailpipe? Mine looked like white smoke but was actually light blue. I ended up with a blown oil separator "CCV". Take your spark plugs out and check for black oil on them.
+1. Another fester had the SAME issue. he thought he blew his motor. I fixed the CCV for $185 in parts and about 4 hours. Oh, you'll need new plugs too. YOU DO NOT HAVE A BLOWN HEAD GASKET!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
I agree with smolck....the easiest & cheapest way to verify this is to pull the plugs after the car has sat for awhile....if they have an oily film on them (as opposed to a nice, dry, greyish-tan color), your oil seperator is shot.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 11-30-2008, 09:43 AM

Thank you for the feedback guys. I don't know much about these things, but had a few emails back and forth with a tech, and he was saying that it sounds like the Crankcase Vent Valve. Would that explain the little bit a white "splash" around the coolant reservoir area? I will take the car to a BMW service shop on Monday or Tuesday and have them take a look at it. If it is the CVV, can I drive the car for about 5 miles to the shop, or will take make things worst? I don't want to tow it, if not necessary. BTW, there are no CEL's or warnings on the dash.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da geez View Post
If it is coolant, and I think it is, the exhaust should smell like coolant.
This might be an obvious smell to some, but I have no idea what coolant smells like
Old 11-30-2008, 10:01 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAmW325i View Post
Thank you for the feedback guys. I don't know much about these things, but had a few emails back and forth with a tech, and he was saying that it sounds like the Crankcase Vent Valve. Would that explain the little bit a white "splash" around the coolant reservoir area? I will take the car to a BMW service shop on Monday or Tuesday and have them take a look at it. If it is the CVV, can I drive the car for about 5 miles to the shop, or will take make things worst? I don't want to tow it, if not necessary. BTW, there are no CEL's or warnings on the dash.
Yea, you can drive it 5 miles. It might sputter and die a bit. But the CVV is most certainly the problem. Don't let them take you for a ride on this repair. The parts are only $160 or so, and I did one in 4 hours first time ever doing it. I have seen quotes as high as $1100 which is pure BS. Don't be afraid to shop. You have power the regular public does not have......Bimmerfest. Report back their findings and cost BEFORE you authorize work if you want to save $$ and not get screwed!

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 11-30-2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks. I will get estimates from 2 shops before dropping the car off. I will report back and let you guys know what they find. Smolck, wanna drive to North Florida and hook up a brother Is there some kind of a TSB for this issue...I read about it on e46fanatics? I will call the dealership on Monday too.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:22 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Thanks. I will get estimates from 2 shops before dropping the car off. I will report back and let you guys know what they find. Smolck, wanna drive to North Florida and hook up a brother Is there some kind of a TSB for this issue...I read about it on e46fanatics? I will call the dealership on Monday too.
You won't get the CVV replaced by BMW. You got SEC championship tickets? I'd drive to North Florida for that! What part?

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: .
If it were me, I'd spend a few dollars and get a compression test done. Or if you know how, do it yourself.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:31 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M View Post
If it were me, I'd spend a few dollars and get a compression test done. Or if you know how, do it yourself.
Why? It is clearly the CVV....

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 11-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Why? It is clearly the CVV....
Because I don't like to guess.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:55 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M View Post
Because I don't like to guess.
But what has the OP said that even remotely sounds like a blown head gasket? White residue near the coolant resevoir (aka expansion tank)? My car has that too. If it was milky in the oil then I could understand that. But since I have just fixed this EXACT same problem for another Fester when most people here diagnosed as a blown head gasket, it isn't a "guess" it is an "educated guess" It was Nova's comments that helped me pin it down. This guy has all the same issues, and a simple glance at the plugs will show them covered in black oil and thereby confirm a bad CVV.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-01-2008, 01:54 PM

Just got an estimate of $500 to replace the CVV with parts and labor. This place only works on BMW's. I should have the car by tomorrow evening. They said the white smoke was caused by the oil being sucked out of the engine and getting burned, not the coolant. I'll update you guys again tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740il
i had the same problem and still do, i had the valley pan seal replaced, and the osv (oil seperator valve) and the thing still smokes when starting it up but stops after.....I'm going bonkers because its more annoying than a mechanical problem. any other suggestions from anyone ...thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 01:06 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidybear View Post
i had the same problem and still do, i had the valley pan seal replaced, and the osv (oil seperator valve) and the thing still smokes when starting it up but stops after.....I'm going bonkers because its more annoying than a mechanical problem. any other suggestions from anyone ...thanks
If your oil separator went bad, your plugs are probably fouled. Change them....

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
(o0\(III)(III)/0o)

Mein Auto: 99 E46 328i
Quote:
If your oil separator went bad, your plugs are probably fouled. Change them....
O2 sensors are prolly shot too...............

ADR gunmetal 18's, Clears up front & sides, DVD system mounted in headrests + 1 up front, Dinan CAI + software
Mirror tint all around, M-TECH II front bumper, Front and rear Foglights

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:30
Old 12-13-2008, 04:26 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
This might be an obvious smell to some, but I have no idea what coolant smells like
It smells "sweet". Buy a gallon of BMW coolant and sniff it. If your exhaust smells the same, it's a bad gasket.

You'll need the coolant soon anyway.

Quote:
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.

Last edited by Scott ZHP; 12-13-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:29 AM
We want the Lion!

Quote:
But what has the OP said that even remotely sounds like a blown head gasket?
Reread the first post ...

"A LOT of white smoke is now coming out of the exhaust."

Quote:
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:45 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
Reread the first post ...

"A LOT of white smoke is now coming out of the exhaust."
Doesn't automatically mean blown head gasket. A failed oil separator can cause more smoke than you can imagine. This was the problem with a recent fester I helped replace the CVV.....

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-13-2008, 09:13 AM
We want the Lion!

Quote:
Doesn't automatically mean blown head gasket. A failed oil separator can cause more smoke than you can imagine. This was the problem with a recent fester I helped replace the CVV.....
Yeah, no kidding. I've been around, in, under and through enough engines to know that as well.

Your quote was this: "But what has the OP said that even remotely sounds like a blown head gasket?" Re-read the first post, including the title.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-13-2008, 12:25 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
Yeah, no kidding. I've been around, in, under and through enough engines to know that as well.

Your quote was this: "But what has the OP said that even remotely sounds like a blown head gasket?" Re-read the first post, including the title.
Yes Scott, we bow to your greatness...

He also said "oil level is fine and not milky" and his car only has 58k on it. These engines don't have a habit of popping head gaskets unless overheated with only 58k.....

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote: