Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 05-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 335i (regretfully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
OK, You're a troll

Seriously, I understand if you want to say it's not attractive since we all have variations in what we want cars to look like, but it's silly to say you don't understand it. You are a BMW fan right? Then you should understand that BMW's have a soul, a certain feel to them. Why shouldn't people who want or need an SUV be able to enjoy that driving dynamic? That's what the X6 offers and it does so at a price less than its main competitor (the Porsche). People who want a BMW want a BMW, not a Range Rover and not a Porsche SUV.
Really? So people never cross shop a BMW with anything? What dream world are you living in?

Stop trying to defend everything BMW does, they make mistakes too. This new monstrosity is just ugly. In addition it further dilutes the brand.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
I don't think the X6 dilutes the brand. I think the issue is some folks cannot accept change. The cars BMW is building today are based on customer feedback. In the end, BMW is a company in business to make money.

If you don't like a certain product, you are not forced to buy it.

People whined about the X5 when it came out. Oh lord BMW is bulding SUVs!

People whined when the 3 series was first offered in a wagon. Oh lord BMW is building a wagon!

People whined when the E90's came out. Oh lord it does not look as good as an E46!

Life is too short folks. Stop whing and enjoy the fact you have choices. We are spoiled rotten in the U.S. yet folks seek the dark clouds each and every time.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Enjoying the ride

Mein Auto: 545i Sport/Blk Sapphire
My wife and I saw one the other day for the first time. It sure caught my eye. She drives a Navigator and we are considering getting a smaller SUV as her next vehicle since we no longer have to haul strollers, play pens etc. I really like the X5 Sport and am leaning heavily in that direction, but this X6 is intriguing . . .

Current: '05 545i Sport SAT / Black Sapphire / Black Dakota / Nav / PDC / DupliColored calipers (silver)
Tint / Power rear sunscreen & side screens / ACS Pedals / Logic7 / Magnaflow Dual w/quad tips / aFe lifetime filter
Future Plans: M-tech front bumper / VMR style 713's - 19" staggered
Totaled: '01 Jag S-type 4.0 British Racing Green
Old 06-16-2009, 03:01 AM

Mein Auto: X6 xDrive35d / Audi R8
Quote:
why would anyone pay this kind of money for a 4 seater, quasi suv with very little cargo space? why not get an x5 instead, or a true sports car?
when I sat down and worked through exactly what I needed/wanted - the x6 was the only car that ticked all the boxes for me for its role.
  • carry a max of 4 people
  • able to do 8 hour drives on fast twisty roads in one stint with passengers in comfort
  • good ground clearance for snow/water
  • elevated driving position and good handling to make the drive a lot easier and faster
  • something that I like the look of
The 35d engine delivers the performance combined with range that pulls it all together.

I had a 4.4i v8 x5 years back and it's amazing that this has a 3.0 diesel engine putting out the same hp as that and more torque than even the m6 had.

I know a lot of people struggle to love the looks of the car, but I'm thankful we don't live in a world where cars are designed by consensus.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: X6
[QUOTE=randombloke;4271627]when I sat down and worked through exactly what I needed/wanted - the x6 was the only car that ticked all the boxes for me for its role.
  • able to do 8 hour drives on fast twisty roads in one stint with passengers in comfort
  • elevated driving position and good handling to make the drive a lot easier and faster

Great post - like you, the X6 was just what I was looking for - but not a "me too" car like the rest of the SUV/Crossover world.

This car is definitely unique, and yet so enjoyable. Sedan-like characteristics, nice high view of traffic, and GREAT accelleration right there, right now when you need it - and maybe even more important - amazing brakes.

I'm hooked!
Old 06-28-2009, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi M, Range Rover, 911
People love the look of hi-top sneakers.........so why not have a BMW that looks like a hi-top sneaker????

2013 550 xi Msport
2005 Range Rover HSE Grey/Grey
2009 MB C 300 4Matic
1997 Porsche 993 C4S Black/Black
2005 Jeep TJ
Old 06-29-2009, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
People love the look of hi-top sneakers.........so why not have a BMW that looks like a hi-top sneaker????
Agreed. Range Rover is a toaster on wheels, might as well have a sneaker in there as well.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
So far I have seen a grand total of one on the street in my area. I would think there would be more on the road around here as this place is awash in high end cars. Hardly a day goes by without seeing a Lambo or Maserati parked at Trader Joe's, but no X6 in sight.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2010 X6 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman View Post
call me a troll. i have been called one before on bimmerfest but i fail to see that the x6 serves a useful purpose. why would anyone pay this kind of money for a 4 seater, quasi suv with very little cargo space? why not get an x5 instead, or a true sports car? i have no idea what bmw will do in the future but i would not be all surprised to see bmw discontinue this vehicle after a few years. if you want fun and utility in the same package get a range rover sport. they look better, and they are far more useful.
Your opinion of the X6 is very popular. And I can see why someone who consider the X6 to be a "useless" vehicle. I was about to order a 2010 X5 diesel, and then saw an X6. I think that is a work of art. And contrary to popular belief, it actually does have quite a bit of room in the back, especially with the two rear seats folded down. We don't have any kids (only two sweet ragdoll cats who probably won't want to sit in the two rear seats), and I play the contrabassoon in the National Symphony in Washington DC. I am also an avid car enthusiast, and learned to drive on BMW's back in the late '60's when I studied music in Germany and Austria. I can easily fit my 58" long contrabassoon case in the back of an X6 with only the right hand rear seat folded down, with tons of room to spare. In fact, the cargo space in the X6 is one inch longer than in the X5. So for me, the X6 is a perfect blend of extreme sport and utility.

But what is really different between the X5 and X6 is the way that the two vehicles drive. Night and day. While the X5 is a very fine handling SUV (or, as BMW states, SAV), the X6 is four wheel drive coupe on steroids. No vehicle this large should handle as well as this one does with the 5.0 litre twin turbo engine and sports suspension. I have driven many BMW's (owned two 6 series coupes back in the 1980's and a 1972 2002 tii set up with Koni shocks for competition, a 733i and several versions of the 5 series) as well as Porsches and track setup Mercedes, and the X6 is right up there with the best street and competition machines I've had the opportunity to drive, and without any modifications required.

So while you may not like the look of the X6, I would suggest that you drive one before dismissing it as "useless".
Old 10-15-2009, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645; 911TT; Maserati
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman View Post
call me a troll. i have been called one before on bimmerfest but i fail to see that the x6 serves a useful purpose. why would anyone pay this kind of money for a 4 seater, quasi suv with very little cargo space? why not get an x5 instead, or a true sports car? i have no idea what bmw will do in the future but i would not be all surprised to see bmw discontinue this vehicle after a few years. if you want fun and utility in the same package get a range rover sport. they look better, and they are far more useful.

Considering that you trolled way out of your way to slam a car, it sounds like whatever you drive, it's the only car you own.

Why would I pay $101,000 for this car?

First, because I can.

Second, it's fills a niche in my garage.

Third, its' AWESOME performance. Zero - 60 in 4.3 on the G-Timer. Skidpad = .95.

Fourth, it looks GREAT.

I suppose if maybe you need a sedan and a place for a couple of baby seats, a 3 or 5 series would work for you. But why wouldn't you do THIS car?

Whatever you drive, eat my dust.

X6 M on the Track:

This one is mine:

BMW X6 M (Alpine White, with Sakhir Orange interior)
Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa (Grigio Touring Silver, with Black/Light Gray interior)
Mercedes SL500 (Pewter, with Charcoal Gray interior)

Last edited by TTCarrera; 10-15-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: safely, most of the time.
^ TTCarrera, is that Titanium Silver or Space Grey?

My $0.02:

It's all in the eye of the beholder, really. Personally, I think the X6 is the best looking SUV by miles. The only part that I don't love about it is the slightly thick arse end, but I can live with that. Why would I buy one over an X5? Because I prefer the looks of the X6, simple as that. I think that's likely to be BMW's thinking behind it also - and I'm quite certain that Land Rover went down the same avenue when they introduced the Range Rover Sport. There's basically a bunch of customers who want an SUV with the space for luggage and lots of passengers and there are those who want one also but don't really need all the space all the time and are happy to compromise slightly for a sportier looking vehicle.

I own a Range Rover Vogue HSE and my sister drives a Range Rover Sport diesel and I am quite seriously looking for alternatives. It's got nothing to do with Tata but more to do with the fact that while their suspension is really good for bad road surfaces, they're just not cut out for going fast. (I drove a supercharged rrSport and it really didn't do a lot for me.) The Cayenne, in my very humble opinion is just too much and I can't help feeling that a lot of what they charge you for is the badge.

As randombloke quite clearly pointed out, it tickes all my boxes. If it doesn't tick anyone else's, that's just the way it is. We look for different things in the cars we buy and that's quite normal. If the OP feels the X6 is useless, then that's true in his/her view, but it doesn't make it a useless vehicle for everyone else.

Happy driving

Last edited by xswordfish; 10-15-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xswordfish View Post
^ TTCarrera, is that Titanium Silver or Space Grey?

My $0.02:

It's all in the eye of the beholder, really. Personally, I think the X6 is the best looking SUV by miles. The only part that I don't love about it is the slightly thick arse end, but I can live with that. Why would I buy one over an X5? Because I prefer the looks of the X6, simple as that. I think that's likely to be BMW's thinking behind it also - and I'm quite certain that Land Rover went down the same avenue when they introduced the Range Rover Sport. There's basically a bunch of customers who want an SUV with the space for luggage and lots of passengers and there are those who want one also but don't really need all the space all the time and are happy to compromise slightly for a sportier looking vehicle.

I own a Range Rover Vogue HSE and my sister drives a Range Rover Sport diesel and I am quite seriously looking for alternatives. It's got nothing to do with Tata but more to do with the fact that while their suspension is really good for bad road surfaces, they're just not cut out for going fast. (I drove a supercharged rrSport and it really didn't do a lot for me.) The Cayenne, in my very humble opinion is just too much and I can't help feeling that a lot of what they charge you for is the badge.

As randombloke quite clearly pointed out, it tickes all my boxes. If it doesn't tick anyone else's, that's just the way it is. We look for different things in the cars we buy and that's quite normal. If the OP feels the X6 is useless, then that's true in his/her view, but it doesn't make it a useless vehicle for everyone else.

Happy driving
I think that those of us who like the X6 and those who don't will never agree. I personally think it is beautiful, but that's just me. I almost went for an X5 diesel, but after I saw and drove an X6 5.0, it was all over. Don't have any kids....one wife and two cats. And cats probably will not want to ride on two rear seats. X5 may be more "useful", but sure not as much fun to drive. Can still easily fit my very long musical instrument case in the back of the X6 with tons of space to spare.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTCarrera View Post
Considering that you trolled way out of your way to slam a car, it sounds like whatever you drive, it's the only car you own.

Why would I pay $101,000 for this car?

First, because I can.

Second, it's fills a niche in my garage.

Third, its' AWESOME performance. Zero - 60 in 4.3 on the G-Timer. Skidpad = .95.

Fourth, it looks GREAT.

I suppose if maybe you need a sedan and a place for a couple of baby seats, a 3 or 5 series would work for you. But why wouldn't you do THIS car?

Whatever you drive, eat my dust.

X6 M on the Track:

This one is mine:

Beautiful dude -- congrats
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax
Old 10-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
I was behind one going into a corner the other day. I was shocked. I read about the active suspension. It works, that thing handles amazingly.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randombloke View Post
when I sat down and worked through exactly what I needed/wanted - the x6 was the only car that ticked all the boxes for me for its role.
The 35d engine delivers the performance combined with range that pulls it all together.

I had a 4.4i v8 x5 years back and it's amazing that this has a 3.0 diesel engine putting out the same hp as that and more torque than even the m6 had.

I know a lot of people struggle to love the looks of the car, but I'm thankful we don't live in a world where cars are designed by consensus.
No, the X6 is not for everyone. I took delivery of my 2010 X6. 5.0 with all options except extra power performance (this thing is plenty fast as it is), and with the 19" wheels with Michelin all season tires rather than the low profile performance tires which would not do much for me when I drive up into norther Michigan every winter. But what I can tell those people who are saying the X6 is ugly and useless, is that you simply don't realize that there are some people for whom this vehicle is perfect. We have no kids (only two cats who really don't particularly like riding in cars), and maybe once every ten years have more than two people in my car at one time. There is also a ton of room with the right rear seat folded down to accommodate my 58 inch long contrabassoon case (I play this huge piece of double reed plumbing in the National Symphony) with space for a third passenger and lots of luggage. And the X6 handling makes the X5 seem like a milk truck. Amazing. I've owned 12 previous BMW's (first one was a 1972 2002tii, and went on from there through 3.5,6 and 7 series vehicles. Went to Mercedes in 1990 when BMW was in the tank, but came back for the X6. Best BMW I have driven to date, bar none.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
I totally think that the X6 (specifically the V8 or the M version) is an ugly, wasteful and totally useless vehicle.

So why is it that I want one?

Retired:
2007 Z4 M Coupe
2003 M5 - one of the greatest cars of all time
2001 530i/6
1991 325i
1981 320iS
Old 11-01-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymenow00 View Post
I totally think that the X6 (specifically the V8 or the M version) is an ugly, wasteful and totally useless vehicle.

So why is it that I want one?
You want one because it is not an ugly, wasteful and totally useless vehicle. Got mine last week, and it is great at hauling my VERY large musical instrument around (with lots of room to spare for two other people and their stuff...so much for your useless argument), it handles like it is glued to the ground. Truly defies the laws of physics. Absolutely no body lean in corners...and the active steering is amazing. Think of an M3 with all wheel drive and a very comfortable ride (neither of which exist) on steroids. Another argument against your useless argument. Yes, it does tend to drink fuel. But what other really fast, large, high end vehicle does not? ..(unless you consider a Lexus RX450h a high end, good handling, fast and beautiful vehicle). And as far as ugly is concerned, people walking past my X6 are doing double takes and even taking photos of the thing. I got my X6 5.0 in mineral silver, and it is a work of art. But if you're not into art, then I guess that you would find it ugly.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:13 PM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
I really like the design of the X6 - but I don't see any advantage over the X5. The X5 is more practical - that's for sure. AND it isn't ugly either...
Old 11-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
I really like the design of the X6 - but I don't see any advantage over the X5. The X5 is more practical - that's for sure. AND it isn't ugly either...
The X6, even with the 6cyl engine outperforms any X5. I think it is mainly because of 500lbs of rattling glass on the roof.

but seriously, the X6 compared to an X5 is like comparing a 3 series to a 7 series. The X5 has more rolls than a French bakery.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpySD View Post
The X6, even with the 6cyl engine outperforms any X5. I think it is mainly because of 500lbs of rattling glass on the roof.

but seriously, the X6 compared to an X5 is like comparing a 3 series to a 7 series. The X5 has more rolls than a French bakery.
Before I ordered my 2010 X6 5.0, I test drove two 2009 X5's (diesel and petrol V8). Nice, but nothing to write home about. THEN I drove an X6 3.5 and 5.0. No contest. Both X6's blew both X5's away. X5 handles like a milk truck when compared to the X6. BTW, I find that the storage in the X6 is actually better for my needs than the X5. Higher rear hatch makes loading my contrabassoon case much easier, and the opening for the right rear seat (when it is folded down) in the X6 is wider than the X5, which also helps with carrying my horn. There really isn't a contest here. The X6 is clearly a beautiful work of art. The X5 is a bread box. But I also like Richard Wagner's operas, so maybe my brains are fried.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Silentelysium
Mein Auto: 2008 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbrandon View Post
Agreed. Range Rover is a toaster on wheels, might as well have a sneaker in there as well.

Don't be silly. Its a rebadged Ford Expedition.

On a more serious note, the x6 50i is the best car I've ever driven.

Last edited by Silentelysium; 11-02-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
X5 is soccer mom vehicle. X6 is LOOK AT ME vehicle. Those who like monster trucks would definitely find X6 the right type of vehicle.

X6 outperforms X5 also because it has DPC, while X5 doesn't have it yet. It also has stronger engines.

If you want a bimmer with room, performance, and high ride height, X6 is the first offer, but now you can also consider the 5 GT, or perhaps even the cheaper Acura ZDX. Elsewhere you can get a 335iT for performance and space, but it's not available here. And you can't find an Audi S4 Avant either.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X6M White/Cinnamon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmq View Post
x5 is soccer mom vehicle. X6 is look at me vehicle. Those who like monster trucks would definitely find x6 the right type of vehicle.

X6 outperforms x5 also because it has dpc, while x5 doesn't have it yet. It also has stronger engines.

If you want a bimmer with room, performance, and high ride height, x6 is the first offer, but now you can also consider the 5 gt, or perhaps even the cheaper acura zdx. Elsewhere you can get a 335it for performance and space, but it's not available here. And you can't find an audi s4 avant either.
dpc?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Super Bayern!

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahunacanuck View Post
dpc?
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
2008 E93 335i- retired (but can still hear the fluttering)
Old 11-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: '08 Porsche 911 C4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagpole Sitta View Post
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
hilarious
'08 Imola Red Z4M coupe

(retired)

'09 Black MB E350
'07 Monaco Blue X5 4.8i
'05 Titanium Grey 530i
'03 Sterling Grey 540i-6MT
'03 Electric Red 330i

'07 White Aluminum K1200r Sport
'04 Phoenix Grey R1100s