Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - 2014)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - 2014)
The BMW X6 luxury crossover went on sale in April 2008 as a 2009 model year. BMW referes to the X6 as a Sports Activity Coupe (SAC) as it combines the attributes of an SUV (high ground clearance, xDrive and all-weather ability) with the stance, styling and roof line shape of a coupe. The E71 X6 was built off the E70 X5 (2007 - 2013) platform at BMW's Spartanburg, SC plant. Total worldwide sales were just over 235,000, sold mostly to the BRIC countries. US total sales was 34,082 vehicles.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 E91 328xiT
I just saw my first one in a parking lot. I had seen pictures, but I got a whole different impression in person. I thought the pictures looked great and I fully expected a large vehicle, but nothing prepared me for this big butted bad boy. I'll accept the opinion of others that it drives great, but after all of people's complaints about the butt on a 5 series, I didn't think that BMW would solve problem by putting out a model with a huge butt. I guess it is a matter of taste. However, I loved the interior and the 2 rear seats made it look like a great cruising vehicle.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Nothing says "I have arrived!" like an X6. A totally nichE market car/suv that many WISH they could afford. I can't wait to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky2970 View Post
Rangies are like a box on wheels. I love my X5 but honestly it's not as elegant or exciting as an X6. Now I understand that looks aren't a major part when it comes to SUVs or SAVs or etc but the X6 is a sleek, more beautiful, and exciting version of the x5! I have a 650 and many would say it's the same as a 550 but it's not! The 6 is better looking, sportier, and other things! 6 has always been designated as bmw's GT model. Try to think of an X6 as the hybrid child of the x5 and 6er

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 01-12-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman View Post
yea, i hear ya when it comes to range rover's residuals and i would personally not buy one
Range Rover's top of the line is a fine riding vehicle if firmness is good for you. Very rewarding off-road. Sufficient interior room after BMW designed 'em.

Astoundingly bad repair record - check Consumer Reports - if you don't mind paying much much more than most to own it, it's a good enough ride.

My bud's has a maint convulsion at approx. 6 mo intervals. Several thou each time normal.

I'm with you....
Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: bmw650i
Took delivery on an X6 M recently, and I am now very sad. The reason I am very sad is I don't want to drive my 650 any longer.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:22 PM
greg1

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwish View Post
Took delivery on an X6 M recently, and I am now very sad. The reason I am very sad is I don't want to drive my 650 any longer.
hahaha....pics please!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 PM
greg1

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Note View Post
Your opinion of the X6 is very popular. And I can see why someone who consider the X6 to be a "useless" vehicle. I was about to order a 2010 X5 diesel, and then saw an X6. I think that is a work of art. And contrary to popular belief, it actually does have quite a bit of room in the back, especially with the two rear seats folded down. We don't have any kids (only two sweet ragdoll cats who probably won't want to sit in the two rear seats), and I play the contrabassoon in the National Symphony in Washington DC. I am also an avid car enthusiast, and learned to drive on BMW's back in the late '60's when I studied music in Germany and Austria. I can easily fit my 58" long contrabassoon case in the back of an X6 with only the right hand rear seat folded down, with tons of room to spare. In fact, the cargo space in the X6 is one inch longer than in the X5. So for me, the X6 is a perfect blend of extreme sport and utility.

But what is really different between the X5 and X6 is the way that the two vehicles drive. Night and day. While the X5 is a very fine handling SUV (or, as BMW states, SAV), the X6 is four wheel drive coupe on steroids. No vehicle this large should handle as well as this one does with the 5.0 litre twin turbo engine and sports suspension. I have driven many BMW's (owned two 6 series coupes back in the 1980's and a 1972 2002 tii set up with Koni shocks for competition, a 733i and several versions of the 5 series) as well as Porsches and track setup Mercedes, and the X6 is right up there with the best street and competition machines I've had the opportunity to drive, and without any modifications required.

So while you may not like the look of the X6, I would suggest that you drive one before dismissing it as "useless".
agreed...might be useless to some but definitely not to others. x6 is very slick looking and drives pretty good. Will make choice by spring!!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1 View Post
agreed...might be useless to some but definitely not to others. x6 is very slick looking and drives pretty good. Will make choice by spring!!
An amazing car. Mine drives like my E39 540 and gets the same mileage. Pretty amazing considering the weight.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X6 50I
could have had most anything - chose the auto with the best looks, performance and attitude - just my opinion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	216892   Click image for larger version

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	216893   Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	216894  
Old 02-16-2010, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
I just saw a red X6M this morning. Most gorgeous looking thing I've seen on 2 wheels.

Damn near ashamed to pull up next to it in my lame looking 550i.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi M, Range Rover, 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Range Rover's top of the line is a fine riding vehicle if firmness is good for you. Very rewarding off-road. Sufficient interior room after BMW designed 'em.

Astoundingly bad repair record - check Consumer Reports - if you don't mind paying much much more than most to own it, it's a good enough ride.

My bud's has a maint convulsion at approx. 6 mo intervals. Several thou each time normal.

I'm with you....
I have had my 2005 Range Rover for almost 5 years and it has been a great great truck.
No major problems, and we use it in all conditions from NYC driving where it feels like a limo to off-road on the beaches of NC 10 weeks a year where is handles the beaches and dune crossings like a hummer.

That being said it is a very complicated BMW engineered and BMW engined truck. It has sooo many features most owners don't even understand and never use, but we do and have loved every minute of it. I am glad to have bought the extended warranty, cuz you never know and when sumptin does break it's probably gonna be expensive !

2013 550 xi Msport
2005 Range Rover HSE Grey/Grey
2009 MB C 300 4Matic
1997 Porsche 993 C4S Black/Black
2005 Jeep TJ
Old 02-20-2010, 09:53 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I saw the E60 5, 5GT, X6, and X5 all side-by-side at a recent autoshow. The F10 sedan would be my first choice, but the X6 was a close second. My wife is very interested in the X6. She wants to test drive one now, but I want her to wait for the 2011 improvements.

BTW, I'm not a BMW fanboy (check out my sig,) but IMHO the X6 is the BEST LOOKING SUV on the market.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0
We own three cars: '07 Subaru Outback wagon, '01 X5 3.0, '10 X6 3.5i.

We are selling the Subaru.

The X6 is the best car I have ever driven, excepting rear visibility. It is absolutely fantastic in comfort, performance, apperance, etc. Those are all personal opinions. Yours may differ.

Here are a few of the reasons I chose the X6:
1) No Rover dealership within 30-45 minutes
2) Previous experience with X5 has been great.
3) Nothing else like it on the road- I have seen exactly one other X6 on the road.
4) I prefer BMW interior design over Cadillac S_X and Acura's new crossover (though I do like the Acura exterior except nose).
5) Retained value: '01 X5 with 95k miles is worth about same as '07 Subaru with 40k.
6) Driving the X6 is FUN.
7) I like the appearance of it.
8) Driving the X6 is FUN!
9) Driving the X6 is FUN!!!!!!!
10) Great interior.
11) SAFETY: I wanted something with OnStar type of system. The X6 is the car my wife drives to work on country roads. I like the crash protection, all-wheel drive, traction control, etc.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: lexus
what options did you get and which ones did you think are useless?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Original *****

delete.

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 03-04-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS550 View Post
I just saw a red X6M this morning. Most gorgeous looking thing I've seen on 2 wheels.
Nice! Is this X6M paddle powered? What's its 0-60 time? 10 minutes?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645; 911TT; Maserati
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
Nice! Is this X6M paddle powered? What's its 0-60 time? 10 minutes?
Actually, my X6M did a 0-60 in 4.09 sec., with a speed at the 1/4 mile mark of 118.4 mph. Timed with a G-Tech.

Yes, very nice indeed. Thanks. Frankly, I think it might be a bit quicker than my wife's M6. Its gearbox is certainly quicker than the M6's SMG.

Sounds like you are misinformed or are pre-disposed to not liking the X6M. You might want to do a little more research before you shoot off your keyboard. It's a hell of a car.

BMW X6 M (Alpine White, with Sakhir Orange interior)
Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa (Grigio Touring Silver, with Black/Light Gray interior)
Mercedes SL500 (Pewter, with Charcoal Gray interior)

Last edited by TTCarrera; 03-23-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: On foot
The BMW X6 might be a useless vehicle, but none the less it is a cool one. All the people will turn their heads whenever they see a BMW X6 going on the street. A lot of things are useless, but that does not make them unneeded.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Cool Are you Kidding?

"....and honestly I think a BMW is in no way better than a RR .... both drop in value equally and has lots of issues once the mileage goes over 50K...[/QUOTE]

Are you for real, the resale value after three years is not even close, BMW has one of the best residual values on the market. Not to mention ZERO maintenance for the warranty period. I recently purchased a pre owned 650. When determining how much my after market warranty would cost the dealer used a 1 to 16 number scale. 1 being the cheapest to cover due to good reliability and 16 being the most expensive to cover due to number of warranty issues. My 650 was an 8 and the Range Rover was a 16. The fact that you believe that BMW is no way better than Range Rover in reliability and residual value shows either

1) You know very little about cars and should not be commenting on the subject
2) You know even less about BMWs and should not be commenting on the subject.

Thats just my two cents!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: x5d, mb320 cdi, 335d, xkr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Note View Post
So for me, the X6 is a perfect blend of extreme sport and utility.

But what is really different between the X5 and X6 is the way that the two vehicles drive. Night and day. While the X5 is a very fine handling SUV (or, as BMW states, SAV), the X6 is four wheel drive coupe on steroids. No vehicle this large should handle as well as this one does with the 5.0 litre twin turbo engine and sports suspension. I have driven many BMW's (owned two 6 series coupes back in the 1980's and a 1972 2002 tii set up with Koni shocks for competition, a 733i and several versions of the 5 series) as well as Porsches and track setup Mercedes, and the X6 is right up there with the best street and competition machines I've had the opportunity to drive, and without any modifications required.

So while you may not like the look of the X6, I would suggest that you drive one before dismissing it as "useless".
2011 and the future: US roads are rapidly deteriorating, crime is growing, unrest coming. Sports cars make sense no longer . I have owned a lot of 911's and challenge stradales in my my life and i am done with them.

so the X6 style sports "car" that can handle bad pavement, have more ground clearance is the future. Remember the porsche 959 Paris-Dakar high clearance, skid plated 4wd 911's??? that's the next porsche i would consider!!! when the x6 diesel hits USA i might trade the x5d....

the x6 makes total sense, and i applaud the foresight and progressive thinking of bmw; it' one of the reasons at age 55, i am finally off porsches and ferrraris

Last edited by watt; 04-11-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Original *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTCarrera View Post
Yes, very nice indeed. Thanks. Frankly, I think it might be a bit quicker than my wife's M6. Its gearbox is certainly quicker than the M6's SMG.

Sounds like you are misinformed or are pre-disposed to not liking the X6M. You might want to do a little more research before you shoot off your keyboard. It's a hell of a car.
From what I've read agree with your statement about the X6M vs the M3. The persone that owns an X3 (2 model lines below) is "pre-disposed to not liking the X6M". lol of course! I wish I could afford an X6M too, but I guess I'll have to settle for the "cheap" standard X6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollum View Post
The BMW X6 might be a useless vehicle, but none the less it is a cool one. All the people will turn their heads whenever they see a BMW X6 going on the street. A lot of things are useless, but that does not make them unneeded.

+1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt View Post
2011 and the future: US roads are rapidly deteriorating, crime is growing, unrest coming. Sports cars make sense no longer . I have owned a lot of 911's and challenge stradales in my my life and i am done with them.

so the X6 style sports "car" that can handle bad pavement, have more ground clearance is the future. Remember the porsche 959 Paris-Dakar high clearance, skid plated 4wd 911's??? that's the next porsche i would consider!!! when the x6 diesel hits USA i might trade the x5d....

the x6 makes total sense, and i applaud the foresight and progressive thinking of bmw; it' one of the reasons at age 55, i am finally off porsches and ferrraris
While Porches and Ferraris are fine spectacles, they are built for one thing and one thing only. WHat draws me to the X6 is that they are not as prevelant as the X5, and they DO turn heads. the whole status thing is a bonus IMHO. I am considering wating on the diesel too!

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 04-12-2010 at 08:51 AM.