Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 1 Series M Sport
BMW 1 Series M Sport - DTC Problem

Hi,

Before I take my BM to a garage and pay them 59 thousand pounds to look at it I thought I would scour the internet and seek advice, I found this forum so here is my question......

I have just purchased my car from a local garage (2 months ago), only had 1 previous owner and 20k miles, it acts like a brand new car so there cannot be any major probs with it you would think.
I have a problem with the DTC system which to me is a unnecessary luxury, I just want to drive a nice looking car!
When i first started using the car I had no problem with the DTC, it would turn on and off when the button was presssed (not that i was constantly fiddling with it) but recently when turning on my car I am greeted with an orange exclamation mark in a triangle and the DTC light is on the dashboard, these 2 symbols are linked. The worst part is that I cannot turn DTC off even after holding the button for 5,10,15 seconds or more. So my questions are:

Is it safe to drive with DTC on all the time?
How can I turn it off?
Will it need a visit to a BMW garage and fork out hundreds of pounds?

Sorry it was a bit long winded, and I have attached 2 pics of the problem,
Thanks,Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00298.jpg
Views:	1592
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	168108   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00300.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	168109  
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 E92 335i
Paul,

Assuming it works like my car, no lights on the dashboard means the system is ON. Every time you restart the car, the DSC (dynamic stability control) defaults to being fully "on".

Quickly pushing the DTC button turns on a scaled-back version of stability control called DTC (dynamic traction control) that allows a little more wheelspin before it acts. In this mode, the "DTC" light appears on the dashboard - you can see it (unlit, faintly) below the small yellow DSC light in your first photo.

If you push and hold the DTC button, the system is then fully "off" and the smaller yellow light stays lit on the dashboard as a warning that the system is inactive.

With your car's symbol on from startup and the warning exclamation, I think it means there's a fault with the DSC system and it's entirely inactivated. So your car will still look good, but it won't be able to correct driver overreaction in a sudden evasive maneuver.

If you want it fixed, you're probably stuck taking it into a shop. Good luck.

ďAn explanation of cause is not a justification by reason." --C.S. Lewis
Old 03-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW SERIES 1
Paul I have the same problem on a car that has only done 24k miles and my garage told me it will cost £1600.00 to fix AGGHH!! who said drive a BMW for troublefree motoring they should be shot!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Is there any reason automobile buyers on the other side of the pond don't purchase extended warranties? Are extended warranties available only in North America? With all of the complex (aka expensive to repair) systems on the new cars, an extended warranty is a must. All it takes is one system failure and the extended warranty has paid for itself.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 120
I'm new to this but wondered what you did about your DTC problem as my car has just hit 24,000 miles and has same error!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: E87
I would ask the dealer what the problem is.
My car had the same issue and bmw paid for the repair out of goodwill.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 PM
annsue

Mein Auto: 135i convertible
I only have 1230 miles on my 3-week-old car and I'm getting the same thing on mine! Additionally, and seemingly occurring at the same time, the turn signals won't cancel after completing a turn. The really weird thing is that, although the car was displaying these warnings repeatedly yesterday, today everything seems to be fine after starting the car up at least a half dozen times. I made an appointment at the dealership to have it checked out, but it's a little disturbing to have a brand new car behaving like this!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: E36 328i, E60 530xit 535i
It is fine to drive with the DTC on or off. If you have a lead foot and spin your tires off the line you will obviously run through your tires faster. The cars are built to be driven with the DTC on all the time. Be careful with the ASC turned off though ( thats the circle and triangle ) it is a lot easier to lose control!!!!!!!!!!! Just be careful if you are used to driving "Spirited" or if a Teen is driving this car, that is used to having electronic assists.

1998 E36 328i
2008 E60 535i
2014 E85 X1 sDrive
Old 07-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 135i
DTC saved my life once, ever since then I never turn it off. Its just not worth it for that little bit of extra fun