Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
United Auto Care Extended Warranty Question

So I've been shopping around for an extended warranty since my regular warranty is expiring jan 2009. (i already have my maintenance warranty extended to 100k with BMW)

My 645ci is 2005 with under 21k miles. I ran across bunch of different extended warranties since every BMW dealership carries different 3rd party warranty companies.

It seems like United Auto Care had the best reviews online and really no complaints. Price was kinda high compared to other ones though so I wanted to get your thoughts.

for a 3yr/75k mile extended warranty, United Auto Care warranty was $3,737 with $50 Deductible.

Has anyone used United Auto Care or have heard any reviews on them (Good & Bad).

your feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2008, 09:48 AM

I would like to know as well since my warranty just ran out.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Bump +1
Anyone?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:47 PM

wow, no one has any feedback on this huh? let me ask a different question then. has anyone purchased an extended warranty and had a chance to use it? what warranty did you have and how easy was the process?

Thanks,
Old 12-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdopefresh View Post
So I've been shopping around for an extended warranty since my regular warranty is expiring jan 2009. (i already have my maintenance warranty extended to 100k with BMW)

My 645ci is 2005 with under 21k miles. I ran across bunch of different extended warranties since every BMW dealership carries different 3rd party warranty companies.

It seems like United Auto Care had the best reviews online and really no complaints. Price was kinda high compared to other ones though so I wanted to get your thoughts.

for a 3yr/75k mile extended warranty, United Auto Care warranty was $3,737 with $50 Deductible.

Has anyone used United Auto Care or have heard any reviews on them (Good & Bad).

Thanks,

Since you only have 21K miles and sounds like you dont drive much, so, I suggest you dont waste your money on buying a warranty that you will never ever use. Its nothing but a false sense of security that these warranty companies offer. If you ever need them they will fail to honor your claim (>75% probability) in my experience.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645 CIc
You have probably extended your maintenance warranty for 2 years - not 100K based on the miles you drive. The warranty is 2 years OR 100K miles, whichever comes first.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiJai View Post
Since you only have 21K miles and sounds like you dont drive much, so, I suggest you dont waste your money on buying a warranty that you will never ever use. Its nothing but a false sense of security that these warranty companies offer. If you ever need them they will fail to honor your claim (>75% probability) in my experience.
i didn't drive much in the past cause i used to live in Chicago (city) and didn't have to drive far for anything plus had my car stored half the year during the winter.

now i'm in california and i'm expecting about 15-20k miles/year.

good point though.. i haven't had any issue with my bmw since the purchase.

Anyone with actual bad experience with 3rd party warranty?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
I am definitely curious on all this as well. My warranty comes up this February. Extended maintenance is $2K per the dealer, but what about a comprehensive warranty/maintenance program? Does anybody offer that?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
The previous owner of my 325i bought a warranty from United Car Care and the warranty transferred to me when I bought the car. It's their "platinum" plan and covers everything other than wear items like brakes & clutch. So far, they've been good about covering repairs at the dealer without any hassle. I just gave the warranty company's phone number to the SA. He called them and was given a corporate credit card number over the phone. I've had a window regulator replaced and the radio head unit repaired. The previous owner had control arms replaced and some other garden-variety E46 repairs.

BUT... Even though it's come in handy, I probably wouldn't purchase the warranty. For a warranty company to make money, they have to charge more than they'll pay out in repair costs. It's sort of like gambling, where the house has done the math and the odds are in their favor. In this case, the warranty company has done the math, figuring you'll pay them more than they'll pay to fix your car.

Of course, someone's going to listen to me, forego the warranty, and have their transmission die or something... ;-)
Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
The previous owner of my 325i bought a warranty from United Car Care and the warranty transferred to me when I bought the car. It's their "platinum" plan and covers everything other than wear items like brakes & clutch. So far, they've been good about covering repairs at the dealer without any hassle. I just gave the warranty company's phone number to the SA. He called them and was given a corporate credit card number over the phone. I've had a window regulator replaced and the radio head unit repaired. The previous owner had control arms replaced and some other garden-variety E46 repairs.

BUT... Even though it's come in handy, I probably wouldn't purchase the warranty. For a warranty company to make money, they have to charge more than they'll pay out in repair costs. It's sort of like gambling, where the house has done the math and the odds are in their favor. In this case, the warranty company has done the math, figuring you'll pay them more than they'll pay to fix your car.

Of course, someone's going to listen to me, forego the warranty, and have their transmission die or something... ;-)
that's good feedback. i would rather have the warranty than to risk it. it's good to know that they don't give you problems when dealing with repairs.

I read up on "easy care" (another warranty co. offered through BMW) and they are horrible. they basically charge labor hours based on their book, not BMW (which is always less) so for example, if your transmission breaks down and BMW spends 10 hours in labor for your car, Easy Care may state that transmission work should only take 6 hours of labor. you as a customer is not responsible for 4 hours of labor to BMW which should be close to $500? and they charge $250 deductible which is on the high end of 3rd party warranty programs.

more feedbacks from anyone that either has personal experience or knowledge about this topic would be appreciated!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
that's good feedback. i would rather have the warranty than to risk it. it's good to know that they don't give you problems when dealing with repairs.

I read up on "easy care" (another warranty co. offered through BMW) and they are horrible. they basically charge labor hours based on their book, not BMW (which is always less) so for example, if your transmission breaks down and BMW spends 10 hours in labor for your car, Easy Care may state that transmission work should only take 6 hours of labor. you as a customer is not responsible for 4 hours of labor to BMW which should be close to $500? and they charge $250 deductible which is on the high end of 3rd party warranty programs.

more feedbacks from anyone that either has personal experience or knowledge about this topic would be appreciated!
opps, made a typing error there. it should say "you as a customer is NOW responsible for 4 hours of labor"
Old 12-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Swords Up! Recordings LLC

Mein Auto: BMW 645 CI
Quote:

Thanks,
if you are the original owner of your bimmer you can get the BMW Extended but before you do that look into Care free car care...personally i'm a fan of these guys they seem to offer more, Hope that helps

Hamman (Quad) M-6 Exhaust
Hamann pedals
22" (Chrome) Maya 203's
Old 12-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Living in the fast lane

Mein Auto: 645ci
you can always sell your current car and upgrade to a newer model that has an existing warranty =)

"I refuse to tip toe through life only to arrive at death safely"

Previous Garage List
00' Yamaha R1
07' BMW X5
06' BMW 325i
06' Mercedes C 328
05' Nissan Pathfinder Armada
03' Ford Excurion (22" Lift, 44" Tires, Full Show Truck)
02' Nissan Frontier (6" Lift, 38" Tires, Super Charged)
02' Integra Type R
02' Toyota Celica
00' BMW 330i
Old 12-17-2008, 05:58 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by footworkracer View Post
you can always sell your current car and upgrade to a newer model that has an existing warranty =)
true and thought of that. the only thing is my car is paid off only has 20k miles and it has no additional expense to me at this time. it is running well and i already have the maintenance warranty extended to 6yr/100k miles. i didn't want to extend my other warranty through BMW necessarily since i get another year or 2 of warranty if i go through 3rd party warranty... i guess BMW extended warranty is my back up option.

so i thought about getting the 2007 m6. found one for 64k with 13k miles but it looked exactly the same as mine. (black/black, smg, head up display) i mean all the gadgets it offered were what i already had in my current 6er. (minus all the mods i put on my car. 22 asanti wheels, new stealth bulbs for front and rear, overlay, etc) M6 basically just added horse power and warranty.

I drive relatively fast but not fast enough to say that i need an m6 over my 6er. with the trade in price right now i would prob get about $40k for my 6er (yikes!) and end up paying about $25-30k to upgrade to an m6.

the additional horse power and warranty is not worth $25k to me when i can get extended warranty for $3-4k.

i would not consider trading in for a newer 6er (650 that is)... if anything i'll wait for the Audi RS5 to come out and get that since it's all wheel drive and will offer similar horse power as the M6.

as for now, i'm prob gonna get a 3rd party warranty and most likely the United Auto Care since all the reviews are pretty positive and no one here had anything negative to say about them specifically.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M6
Quote:
true and thought of that. the only thing is my car is paid off only has 20k miles and it has no additional expense to me at this time. it is running well and i already have the maintenance warranty extended to 6yr/100k miles. i didn't want to extend my other warranty through BMW necessarily since i get another year or 2 of warranty if i go through 3rd party warranty... i guess BMW extended warranty is my back up option.

so i thought about getting the 2007 m6. found one for 64k with 13k miles but it looked exactly the same as mine. (black/black, smg, head up display) i mean all the gadgets it offered were what i already had in my current 6er. (minus all the mods i put on my car. 22 asanti wheels, new stealth bulbs for front and rear, overlay, etc) M6 basically just added horse power and warranty.

I drive relatively fast but not fast enough to say that i need an m6 over my 6er. with the trade in price right now i would prob get about $40k for my 6er (yikes!) and end up paying about $25-30k to upgrade to an m6.

the additional horse power and warranty is not worth $25k to me when i can get extended warranty for $3-4k.

i would not consider trading in for a newer 6er (650 that is)... if anything i'll wait for the Audi RS5 to come out and get that since it's all wheel drive and will offer similar horse power as the M6.

as for now, i'm prob gonna get a 3rd party warranty and most likely the United Auto Care since all the reviews are pretty positive and no one here had anything negative to say about them specifically.

The M6 is a different car when compared to a normal 645/650 IMHO. You cant compare them and yes, I hear you that you dont drive that fast....so the bottomline is you dont need an M6....mid sixties for a 2007 M6 is a smoking deal but depends on your personal pref....I have had 2 6 series cars before my M6 and it really puts a smile on my face, everytime I start the car....

Get the warranty if it helps you sleep better, I would just get a R8 when I am done with my M6, hopefully by them the wait time wont be this long....
Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
This is kind of on topic...

I have an extended warranty for my 2002 325xi from Warranty Direct. I've used it a few times. They've always paid day of service at my local, generally reputable independent shop (good), but their allowable hours are always short of the shop's (bad). For example, I'm at the shop now (free wifi!) to get a failed window regulator replaced. The shop uses Shopkey, which they say lists 0.5 hours diagnostic and 2.6 hours repair. The warranty company uses the national labor guide, which they say lists 1.5 hours with no diagnostic time.

Am I getting the correct numbers from these books? Why are they so far apart? Is the shop's book really expensive (of course, this is best for them), the warranty company's book really cheap (of course, best for them), or somewhere in the middle (where I seem to be stuck)?

What do people here think is a reasonable number of hours for this repair?

I got a very good deal on the warranty, and I expect it will have paid for itself by the time it expires in 20 more months even with the money I'm spending out of pocket, but I still wonder how I'm ending up so far from "covered".

Thanks!

Last edited by mhh14; 05-06-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Thumbs down I wouldn't buy United Auto Care warranty again!

I bought their top-of-the-line extended warranty a year ago.

They fixed a couple of small things that came up, but I just paid $250 because they denied the claim on fixing my HEATER! It was a fan resistor that failed, and they don't cover that part.

Note the two ways they got me:

1. Although this was marketed to me as an "extended warranty," it's actually a promise to fix a very specific list of parts that might fail. So if your heating and a/c fails, it might or might not be because of a covered part, so they might or might not fix it.

I thought that "of course they'll cover a broken heater" but they referred back to the contract, pointed out that the "climate control fan resistor" is not listed in the contract, and denied my claim. So I have no legal recourse. But I can say that I feel misled, that it was my local BWM dealer that sold me this warranty, that I won't buy this warranty again, and finally that I'll reconsider my planned purchase of two new BMWs this year.

2. I called the customer service number and spoke to a live rep in a reasonable period of time. He referred to the contract and said that my claim was denied. When I told him I was not satisfied, he would not refer me to someone (e.g. manager) who could work with me and would not provide a direct dial number. So they did not provide a way for me to appeal or resolve my issue.

Bottom line, my experience has been THUMBS-DOWN!

Quote:

Thanks,
Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointfinder View Post
I bought their top-of-the-line extended warranty a year ago.

They fixed a couple of small things that came up, but I just paid $250 because they denied the claim on fixing my HEATER! It was a fan resistor that failed, and they don't cover that part.

Note the two ways they got me:

1. Although this was marketed to me as an "extended warranty," it's actually a promise to fix a very specific list of parts that might fail. So if your heating and a/c fails, it might or might not be because of a covered part, so they might or might not fix it.

I thought that "of course they'll cover a broken heater" but they referred back to the contract, pointed out that the "climate control fan resistor" is not listed in the contract, and denied my claim. So I have no legal recourse. But I can say that I feel misled, that it was my local BWM dealer that sold me this warranty, that I won't buy this warranty again, and finally that I'll reconsider my planned purchase of two new BMWs this year.

2. I called the customer service number and spoke to a live rep in a reasonable period of time. He referred to the contract and said that my claim was denied. When I told him I was not satisfied, he would not refer me to someone (e.g. manager) who could work with me and would not provide a direct dial number. So they did not provide a way for me to appeal or resolve my issue.

Bottom line, my experience has been THUMBS-DOWN!

This is why you must read the entire contract. Sucks that you had to find this out that hard way but it was only a small repair bill this time. 3rd party warranties are setup two ways. Either an inclusion list or an exclusion lists. Either way they usually don't cover high failure rate items and expensive items. It's always important to dig into the contract to see if the premium you pay is worth it which almost always isn't.

2006 650i - SMG - Alpine White / Chateau
Mods: OEM style 249 19" rims, H&R 10mm front spacers and 12mm rear spacers, KW v3 coilovers, Magnaflow exhaust (x-pipe, mufflers, resonator delete), RPi scoop, BMC filter (charcoal delete), LED angel eyes, 30% tint, OEM iPod interface, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, black kidney grill
Old 08-23-2012, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
united auto care

By any chance does anyone knows the phone number of United Auto Care? I try to look online but theres several similar extended warranty companies does come up, but not sure which one is the right one. If anyone can help me out I will appreciated very much.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 04 M3 vert
Do not buy Penske United Auto Care extended "warranty"

I ADVISE THAT READERS OF THIS POST AND OF THIS FORUM SHOULD NOT PURCHASE A VEHICLE FROM UNITED BMW ROSWELL GEORGIA OR ANY AFFILIATED UNITED AUTO DEALER OWNED BY PENSKE.

I ADVISE FURTHER THAT YOU SHOULD NOT PURCHASE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM ANY OF THE FOLLOWING COMPANIES, WHICH ARE ALIASES FOR THE SAME PENSKE-OWNED COMPANY:

• “THE WARRANTY GROUP”

• “THE WG”

• “RESOURCE AUTOMOTIVE”

• “UNITED AUTO CARE”

• “CONSUMER PROGRAM ADMINISTRATORS”

I FURTHER ADVISE THAT – SHOULD YOU EVER DO BUSINESS WITH ANY PENSKE COMPANY – YOU SHOULD BE VERY CAUTIOUS SO AS NOT TO SUFFER THE SAME POOR TREATMENT AS DESCRIBED BELOW.

Here are the facts of my experience with United Auto Care and United BMW, both Penske companies.* You should read for yourself before taking the risk of doing business with any of these Penske companies.

January 19, 2010: I test drove a used 2004 BMW M3 convertible at United BMW of Roswell – a Penske company.* After the test drive, I fell in love with the vehicle which is the epitome of “The Ultimate Driving Machine.”* Upon returning home that evening, I performed extensive research on the vehicle, and found many great reviews confirming that the BMW M3 is one of the most favored sports cars available anywhere!

However, one finding caused me great concern: the hydraulic oil pump for the automatic transmission had been known to experience premature failure; sometimes as early as 40,000 miles.

The following day, I spoke with United BMW’s used car salesman to discuss my concerns about the oil pump defect with this vehicle.* The salesman reiterated at that time that the vehicle was being offered “as is,” but that the vehicle had been thoroughly inspected and that there were “no problems with the transmission.”* At that time, the salesman also suggested that I could purchase an extended warranty that “would cover any transmission problems should they occur in the next 36,000 miles.” I informed the United BMW salesman that – if the warranty policy was reasonably priced, I would still consider purchasing the vehicle with the extended warranty.

January 20: I returned to the United BMW dealership to discuss my concerns with the salesman, and to discuss the extended warranty.* At that time, the salesman informed me that the extended warranty by United Auto Care – also a sister company owned by Penske “would definitely cover any problems with the transmission oil pump”.* *At a cost of $3,000 for the Hi-Tech coverage option, the extended warranty seemed like an excessive cost for the coverage, but the salesman indicated that – if there were to be a problem with the transmission, “the repair would cost even more than the $3,000 warranty premium.”* I was amazed at that statement, but after much discussion, I agreed to purchase the vehicle complete with the $3,000 additional extended warranty program as peace-of-mind for this potential transmission problem.

It will become apparent later in the story, why it is important to note that this Penske United BMW used car salesman had a verified history of misrepresenting the vehicles that he sold.* When he sold the vehicle to me, he informed me that the vehicle was equipped with Bluetooth hands-free mobile phone connection.* Only after the vehicle was purchased, did we discover that the vehicle did not – in fact – have Bluetooth capabilities.

When I informed the salesman of my dissatisfaction with his misrepresentation, he informed me that “I’m sorry.* I was wrong and there is nothing I can do about it.”* It was later determined by United BMW that the salesman had – in fact – misrepresented the vehicle as being equipped with Bluetooth.

Fast forward 3 months…

I began to notice a vibration in the transmission during start off from first gear.* I brought the vehicle to United BMW, informing them of the vibration in the transmission.* United BMW was unable to identify the problem, and had no idea as to what might be the cause of the problem.* Over the course of the next two years, I brought the vehicle to United BMW no fewer than five different times requesting that they identify the cause of the problem.

It ultimately became clear that United BMW had no competence for troubleshooting this transmission problem.* It was clear that they had no understanding of how the vehicle operated, and that they were not competent to perform inspection, troubleshooting, or repairs to this vehicle.

After two years of tolerating the poor performance of the LEMON that Penske United BMW sold me, I finally drove the vehicle to an independent repair facility (indy).* My indy was quickly able to recommend inspection of the flywheel, which is a common cause of this particular symptom.* Although the flywheel is a “covered component” according to the extended warranty, United Auto Care refused to pay for the cost of troubleshooting.* I, therefore, authorized my indy to tear down the transmission at my cost to perform the inspection and troubleshooting process.

Upon inspection, United Auto Care’s inspector confirmed that “the flywheel showed abnormal wear, and needed to be replaced.”

This is where the TOTAL HELL of PENSKE and UNITED AUTO CARE begins:

I called my indy to check status of the repair, to which he responded “The warranty company is denying your claim.* They are saying that this is not a covered failure.”

I contacted the warranty company, and after spending several hours on hold and speaking to a variety of different “claims representatives,” I finally was able to escalate my case to a supervisor – Mr. Andrew LaPorte – who continued to argue with me that my claim was not a covered item.* I proceeded to question Mr. LaPorte as to why he was denying coverage for an item that is explicitly covered in my contract. *After extensive argument, and PENSKE United Auto Care refusing to replace the flywheel, Mr. LaPorte conceded to “machine the damaged flywheel” instead of replacing it, even though this was NOT an approved BMW procedure.* It is unacceptable that Mr. LaPorte should be allowed to force me to accept an inadequate repair that is not approved by BMW safety specifications.

During reassembly of the transmission, it was discovered that the automatic transmission oil pump had also failed.

November 2: While I was traveling in Asia for business, the indy initiated an additional claim to the warranty company to repair the failed automatic transmission oil pump.

Upon my return from Asia on Nov 9, I discovered that the warranty company still had not processed the claim for the oil pump, and that my vehicle repairs had not been completed.

November 15: My indy informed me that “the warranty company is requiring that we move the vehicle to United BMW.”

November 16: I called the warranty company and spoke with George, who informed me that “United Auto Care is not going to spend money to send an inspector to the repair facility.* We want the car moved to United BMW (another Penske-owned facility).”* I informed George that United BMW had already had the vehicle more than five different times, and that they had failed on multiple occasions to identify the problems with the vehicle, and that they were not competent to solve this problem.* George agreed that my indy could send documentation to the warranty company to clarify the problem in lieu of moving the vehicle.* Upon receipt of the information, they would send an inspector to the repair facility to confirm the problem and authorize the repair.

November 20: After compiling the necessary information, my indy sent the required documentation to the warranty company.

Over the ensuing two weeks, I traveled for business in Europe and Asia; during which time I received no communications from the warranty company.* Therefore, I assumed that the claim had been approved and that the repair was underway.

December 3: MORE THAN FOUR WEEKS AFTER THE CLAIM HAD BEEN INITIATED – I discovered from my indy that United Auto Care still had not sent an inspector to process the claim.

December 4: I called United Auto Care again.* After being put on hold again for a very long time, I finally was able to speak with George.* I asked George why United Auto Care had still not processed the claim after more than a month had passed, and we had compiled and sent the information they requested.* George informed me that he did not see the notes in my file, and could not answer why they had not processed the claim.* George informed me that he would call my indy.* To which I answered, “No.* I will go to the repair facility and we will call United Auto Care together.”* I informed George that I was tired of being put off and jerked around by United Auto Care, and that I was losing my patience.

December 6: I traveled to my indy where, together, we again called United Auto Care.* We spoke with Henry, who said “Oh. Yes.* I see that the problem is the SMG hydraulic oil pump.* We can authorize that repair, but we need to negotiate the labor hours, and the labor rate.”* After several minutes of Henry negotiating the labor costs (to a level significantly below that of Penske’s own United BMW), Henry informed us that “OK, we will approve the repair, but I need to research the availability and price for the parts.* I will call the repair facility back today to confirm parts availability.”

I was finally satisfied – after six weeks of being jerked around by United Auto Care – that I was finally going to get my car back after being without it for nearly two months.

December 17: Again after traveling out of town for business – I checked in with my indy for the status of the repair.* To which, I was told “The warranty company has now declined the claim.* They want the car moved to another facility.”

“OH MY GAWD…ARE YOU KIDDING?!?* These guys at Penske are really jerking me around!” I told him.

I immediately called United Auto Care again.* This time, I spoke again with Mr. *Andrew LaPorte.* Andrew told me that “We want the car moved to United BMW.”

THESE GUYS AT UNITED AUTO CARE ARE EITHER TOTALLY INCOMPETENT, OR THEY ARE TRAINED TO APPEAR THAT WAY IN ORDER TO FRUSTRATE THEIR CLIENTS INTO SUBMISSION SO THEY DON’T HAVE TO PAY A CLAIM.

I informed Mr. LaPorte that United Auto Care had already jerked me around for two months, and now – after already authorizing the repair on the phone on Dec 6, they are telling me again that they want the vehicle moved.* This… after we had already resolved that issue more than a month ago on November 16, and I am still paying for alternate transportation at $250+ per week.*

At this point, I became understandably quite irritated.* I explained the history of United Auto Care’s unacceptable handling of this claim, and explained to him that I felt like I was in the middle of the movie “Groundhog Day.”* Everything just keeps getting repeated, and nothing gets done.

“PLEASE.* DO YOUR JOB AND SEND AN INSPECTOR TO THE REPAIR FACILITY.* UNITED AUTO CARE HAS BEEN JERKING ME AROUND FOR TWO MONTHS!” I told him.

December 17: Mr. LaPorte agreed that United Auto Care would FINALLY (after jerking me around since November 2) send an inspector to the indy repair facility to confirm the repair.

December 18: *A United Auto Care inspector visited my indy.* The inspector confirmed that “yes, the transmission hydraulic oil pump is failed, and this is a covered repair.”

Shortly thereafter, a United Auto Care representative contacted my indy and informed him that “Yes we will authorize this as a covered repair,” and proceeded – once again (as they had already done on 12/6) – to negotiate labor hours and the hourly labor cost rate.* United Auto Care then informed my indy – as they had already done once before on 12/6 – that “we need to get our parts department to locate the part and we will let you know how to obtain the part.”

December 18 – 12:32 PM: United Auto Care sent email stating that “Warranty Group has secured an estimate of 1951.67 for the smg pump. You may choose to match this amount, source a part for this amount, or have us ship the part to you”.

December 18 – 1:15 PM: *I received a call from my indy informing me that “the warranty company has approved everything, and we’re just waiting for the part.* We will have your car repaired and ready for you this Friday.”

YAY! After only two months and change plus a couple thousand dollars in alternative transportation costs, I will finally get my car back!

A HAPPY ENDING, RIGHT?

WRONG!!!

December 19 – 8:30 AM: *I received another call from my indy telling me that “another guy – Willy from the warranty company called me and told me that the repair claim is being denied.”

So…here I am…two months later…after being totally lied to by United BMW about the extended warranty policy that “will cover any transmission problems” that I have with this LEMON THAT UNITED BMW SOLD me.

December 19: *I was again forced to call United Auto Care, and I spoke with Stephanie.* I immediately requested that Stephanie transfer me to Andrew LaPorte.* She informed me that I had to explain the problem AGAIN to her before she could transfer me.* After another wasted hour, I was transferred to Mr. LaPorte’s voicemail.

Mr. LaPorte called me that afternoon, and informed me that “the SMG pump is not a covered component.”* I reminded Mr. LaPorte that he had said the same thing two months previously about the flywheel, and that the Penske dealer who had sold me the vehicle had explicitly sold me the $3,000 add-on extended warranty in case this common problem occurred.* In typical United Auto Care fashion – and as he had done previously – Mr. LaPorte proceeded to argue with me that the component was not covered.

I finally told Mr. LaPorte that I had no more tolerance for their abuse and mistreatment, and that my patience had run out.* I informed him that “If United Auto Care does not authorize this repair – as they had already done TWICE and reneged previously – that I would share the facts of their mistreatment with the motoring public.* That is why you are now reading this.

December 21: Mr. LaPorte had the gumption – after jerking me around already for two months – to send me an email stating that “you will receive a formal response within 15 days.”

I will leave it to you to decide…but my recommendation – as I stated at the beginning of this story – is this:

I ADVISE THAT YOU SHOULD BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS ABOUT EVER PURCHASING ANY VEHICLE FROM UNITED BMW OR ANY AFFILIATED UNITED AUTO DEALER OWNED BY PENSKE

I ADVISE THAT READERS OF THIS POST AND OF THIS FORUM SHOULD NEVER PURCHASE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM ANY OF THE COMPANIES LISTED BELOW, WHICH ARE ALL ALIASES FOR THE SAME PENSKE-OWNED COMPANY:

• “THE WARRANTY GROUP”

• “THE WG”

• “RESOURCE AUTOMOTIVE”

• “UNITED AUTO CARE”

• “CONSUMER PROGRAM ADMINISTRATORS”

I ADVISE THAT YOU USE EXTREME CAUTION IF EVER YOU DO BUSINESS WITH ANY PENSKE COMPANY FOR ANY REASON.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Horrible story. I feel for you.

Don't let it ruin the holidays.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
I've had very good experience with Auto-Pom. Good rates and warranty claim was a breeze even with a BMW dealer doing the work. I'd give them a go.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 12-22-2012, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Tough story - thanks for letting us know your situation. Take them to small claims court yourself, especially if you have good documentation and notes on all your conversations.
I used this Roswell BMW dealership one time for service and they failed to properly balance my wheels (took it to Butler tire and they fixed it with on car high speed balancing). I've used Global BMW for all other servicing and have had good experiences.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 04 M3 vert
Do you want to take it dry in the rear end?

Then purchase an extended warranty from United Auto Care...

I ADVISE THAT READERS OF THIS POST AND OF THIS FORUM SHOULD NOT PURCHASE A VEHICLE FROM UNITED BMW ROSWELL GEORGIA OR ANY AFFILIATED UNITED AUTO DEALER OWNED BY PENSKE.

I ADVISE FURTHER THAT YOU SHOULD NOT PURCHASE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM ANY OF THE FOLLOWING COMPANIES, WHICH ARE ALIASES FOR THE SAME PENSKE-OWNED COMPANY:

• "THE WARRANTY GROUP"

• "THE WG"

• "RESOURCE AUTOMOTIVE"

• "UNITED AUTO CARE"

• "CONSUMER PROGRAM ADMINISTRATORS"

I FURTHER ADVISE THAT – SHOULD YOU EVER DO BUSINESS WITH ANY PENSKE COMPANY – YOU SHOULD BE VERY CAUTIOUS SO AS NOT TO SUFFER THE SAME POOR TREATMENT AS DESCRIBED BELOW.

Here are the facts of my experience with United Auto Care and United BMW, both Penske companies.* You should read for yourself before taking the risk of doing business with any of these Penske companies.

January 19, 2010: I test drove a used 2004 BMW M3 convertible at United BMW of Roswell – a Penske company.* After the test drive, I fell in love with the vehicle which is the epitome of "The Ultimate Driving Machine."* Upon returning home that evening, I performed extensive research on the vehicle, and found many great reviews confirming that the BMW M3 is one of the most favored sports cars available anywhere!

However, one finding caused me great concern: the hydraulic oil pump for the automatic transmission had been known to experience premature failure; sometimes as early as 40,000 miles.

The following day, I spoke with United BMW's used car salesman to discuss my concerns about the oil pump defect with this vehicle.* The salesman reiterated at that time that the vehicle was being offered "as is," but that the vehicle had been thoroughly inspected and that there were "no problems with the transmission."* At that time, the salesman also suggested that I could purchase an extended warranty that "would cover any transmission problems should they occur in the next 36,000 miles." I informed the United BMW salesman that – if the warranty policy was reasonably priced, I would still consider purchasing the vehicle with the extended warranty.

January 20: I returned to the United BMW dealership to discuss my concerns with the salesman, and to discuss the extended warranty.* At that time, the salesman informed me that the extended warranty by United Auto Care – also a sister company owned by Penske "would definitely cover any problems with the transmission oil pump".* *At a cost of $3,000 for the Hi-Tech coverage option, the extended warranty seemed like an excessive cost for the coverage, but the salesman indicated that – if there were to be a problem with the transmission, "the repair would cost even more than the $3,000 warranty premium."* I was amazed at that statement, but after much discussion, I agreed to purchase the vehicle complete with the $3,000 additional extended warranty program as peace-of-mind for this potential transmission problem.

It will become apparent later in the story, why it is important to note that this Penske United BMW used car salesman had a verified history of misrepresenting the vehicles that he sold.* When he sold the vehicle to me, he informed me that the vehicle was equipped with Bluetooth hands-free mobile phone connection.* Only after the vehicle was purchased, did we discover that the vehicle did not – in fact – have Bluetooth capabilities.

When I informed the salesman of my dissatisfaction with his misrepresentation, he informed me that "I'm sorry.* I was wrong and there is nothing I can do about it."* It was later determined by United BMW that the salesman had – in fact – misrepresented the vehicle as being equipped with Bluetooth.

Fast forward 3 months….

I began to notice a vibration in the transmission during start off from first gear.* I brought the vehicle to United BMW, informing them of the vibration in the transmission.* United BMW was unable to identify the problem, and had no idea as to what might be the cause of the problem.* Over the course of the next two years, I brought the vehicle to United BMW no fewer than five different times requesting that they identify the cause of the problem.

It ultimately became clear that United BMW had no competence for troubleshooting this transmission problem.* It was clear that they had no understanding of how the vehicle operated, and that they were not competent to perform inspection, troubleshooting, or repairs to this vehicle.

After two years of tolerating the poor performance of the LEMON that Penske United BMW sold me, I finally drove the vehicle to an independent repair facility (indy).* My indy was quickly able to recommend inspection of the flywheel, which is a common cause of this particular symptom.* Although the flywheel is a "covered component" according to the extended warranty, United Auto Care refused to pay for the cost of troubleshooting.* I, therefore, authorized my indy to tear down the transmission at my cost to perform the inspection and troubleshooting process.

Upon inspection, United Auto Care's inspector confirmed that "the flywheel showed abnormal wear, and needed to be replaced."

This is where the TOTAL HELL of PENSKE and UNITED AUTO CARE begins:

I called my indy to check status of the repair, to which he responded "The warranty company is denying your claim.* They are saying that this is not a covered component."

I contacted the warranty company, and after spending several hours on hold and speaking to a variety of different "claims representatives," I finally was able to escalate my case to a supervisor – Mr. Andrew LaPorte – who continued to argue with me that the flywheel was not a covered item.* I proceeded to question Mr. LaPorte as to why he was denying coverage for an item that is explicitly covered in my contract. *After extensive argument, and PENSKE United Auto Care refusing to replace the flywheel, Mr. LaPorte conceded to "machine the damaged flywheel" instead of replacing it, even though this was NOT an approved BMW procedure.* It is unacceptable that Mr. LaPorte pressured me into accepting an inadequate repair that is not approved by BMW safety specifications.

During reassembly of the transmission, it was discovered that the automatic transmission oil pump had also failed.

November 2: While I was traveling in Asia for business, the indy initiated an additional claim to the warranty company to repair the failed automatic transmission oil pump.

Upon my return from Asia on Nov 9, I discovered that the warranty company still had not processed the claim for the oil pump, and that my vehicle repairs had not been completed.

November 15: My indy informed me that "the warranty company is requiring that we move the vehicle to United BMW."

November 16: I called the warranty company and spoke with George, who informed me that "United Auto Care is not going to spend money to send an inspector to the repair facility.* We want the car moved to United BMW (another Penske-owned facility)."* I informed George that United BMW had already had the vehicle more than five different times, and that they had failed on multiple occasions to identify the problems with the vehicle, and that they were not competent to solve this problem.* George agreed that my indy could send documentation to the warranty company to clarify the problem in lieu of moving the vehicle.* Upon receipt of the information, they would send an inspector to the repair facility to confirm the problem and authorize the repair.

November 20: After compiling the necessary information, my indy sent the required documentation to the warranty company.

Over the ensuing two weeks, I traveled for business in Europe and Asia; during which time I received no communications from the warranty company.* Therefore, I assumed that the claim had been approved and that the repair was underway.

December 3: MORE THAN FOUR WEEKS AFTER THE CLAIM HAD BEEN INITIATED – I discovered from my indy that United Auto Care still had not sent an inspector to process the claim.

December 4: I called United Auto Care again.* After being put on hold again for a very long time, I finally was able to speak with George.* I asked George why United Auto Care had still not processed the claim after more than a month had passed, and we had compiled and sent the information they requested.* George informed me that he did not see the notes in my file, and could not answer why they had not processed the claim.* George informed me that he would call my indy.* To which I answered, "No.* I will go to the repair facility and we will call United Auto Care together."* I informed George that I was tired of being put off and jerked around by United Auto Care, and that I was losing my patience.

December 6: I traveled to my indy where, together, we again called United Auto Care.* We spoke with Henry, who said "Oh. Yes.* I see that the problem is the SMG hydraulic oil pump.* We can authorize that repair, but we need to negotiate the labor hours, and the labor rate."* After several minutes of Henry negotiating the labor costs (to a level significantly below that of Penske's own United BMW), Henry informed us that "OK, we will approve the repair, but I need to research the availability and price for the parts.* I will call the repair facility back today to confirm parts availability."

I was finally satisfied – after six weeks of being jerked around by United Auto Care – that I was finally going to get my car back after being without it for nearly two months.

December 17: Again after traveling out of town for business – I checked in with my indy for the status of the repair.* To which, I was told "The warranty company has now declined the claim.* They want the car moved to another facility."

"OH MY GAWD….ARE YOU KIDDING?!?* These guys at Penske are really jerking me around!" I told him.

I immediately called United Auto Care again.* This time, I spoke again with Mr. *Andrew LaPorte.* Andrew told me that "We want the car moved to United BMW."

THESE GUYS AT UNITED AUTO CARE ARE EITHER TOTALLY INCOMPETENT, OR THEY ARE TRAINED TO APPEAR THAT WAY IN ORDER TO FRUSTRATE THEIR CLIENTS INTO SUBMISSION SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO PAY A CLAIM.

I informed Mr. LaPorte that United Auto Care had already jerked me around for two months, and now – after already authorizing the repair on the phone on Dec 6, they are telling me again that they want the vehicle moved.* This…. after we had already resolved that issue more than a month ago on November 16, and I am still paying for alternate transportation at $250+ per week.*

At this point, I became understandably quite irritated.* I explained the history of United Auto Care's unacceptable handling of this claim, and explained to him that I felt like I was in the middle of the movie "Groundhog Day."* Everything just keeps getting repeated, and nothing gets done.

"PLEASE.* DO YOUR JOB AND SEND AN INSPECTOR TO THE REPAIR FACILITY.* UNITED AUTO CARE HAS BEEN JERKING ME AROUND FOR TWO MONTHS!" I told him.

December 17: Mr. LaPorte agreed that United Auto Care would FINALLY (after jerking me around since November 2) send an inspector to the indy repair facility to confirm the repair.

December 18: *A United Auto Care inspector visited my indy.* The inspector confirmed that "yes, the transmission hydraulic oil pump is failed, and this is a covered repair."

Shortly thereafter, a United Auto Care representative contacted my indy and informed him that "Yes we will authorize this as a covered repair," and proceeded – once again (as they had already done on 12/6) – to negotiate labor hours and the hourly labor cost rate.* United Auto Care then informed my indy – as they had already done once before on 12/6 – that "we need to get our parts department to locate the part and we will let you know how to obtain the part."

December 18 – 12:32 PM: United Auto Care sent email stating that "Warranty Group has secured an estimate of 1951.67 for the smg pump. You may choose to match this amount, source a part for this amount, or have us ship the part to you".

December 18 – 1:15 PM: *I received a call from my indy informing me that "the warranty company has approved everything, and we're just waiting for the part.* We will have your car repaired and ready for you this Friday."

December 19 – 8:30 AM: *I received another call from my indy telling me that "another guy – Willy from the warranty company called me and told me that the repair claim is being denied."

So….here I am….two months later….after being totally lied to by United BMW about the extended warranty policy that "will cover any transmission problems" that I have with this LEMON THAT UNITED BMW SOLD me.

December 19: *I was again forced to call United Auto Care, and I spoke with Stephanie.* I immediately requested that Stephanie transfer me to Andrew LaPorte.* She informed me that I had to explain the problem AGAIN to her before she could transfer me.* After another wasted hour, I was transferred to Mr. LaPorte's voicemail.

Mr. LaPorte called me that afternoon, and informed me that "the SMG pump is not a covered component."* I reminded Mr. LaPorte that he had said the same thing two months previously about the flywheel, and that the Penske dealer who had sold me the vehicle had explicitly sold me the $3,000 add-on extended warranty in case this common problem occurred.* In typical United Auto Care fashion – and as he had done previously – Mr. LaPorte proceeded to argue with me that the component was not covered.

I finally told Mr. LaPorte that I had no more tolerance for their abuse and mistreatment, and that my patience had run out.* I informed him that "If United Auto Care does not authorize this repair – as they had already done TWICE and reneged previously – that I would share the facts of their mistreatment with the motoring public.* That is why you are now reading this.

December 21: Mr. LaPorte had the gumption – after jerking me around already for two months – to send me an email stating that "you will receive a formal response within 15 days."

January 7, 2013: Another 17 days has passed, and still no response from Mr. LaPorte or anybody from this crooked warranty company.

So….on January 8 – nearly three months after the claim was initiated, I am forced – once again – to contact Penske's warranty company to ask them the status.

January 8, 2013: Frank Polyak – Complaint Resolution Specialist – responds to my email, stating that "our senior management has determined that our decision to deny coverage was correct and justified."* He did not – at any time – make reference to the multiple reneged repair approvals made, nor did he comment on, or apologize for, the thousands of dollars in costs I incurred for alternative transportation during their delays, stalling, and reneged repair authorizations.

I will leave it to you to decide….but my recommendation – as I stated at the beginning of this story – is this:

I ADVISE THAT YOU SHOULD BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS ABOUT EVER PURCHASING ANY VEHICLE FROM UNITED BMW OR ANY AFFILIATED UNITED AUTO DEALER OWNED BY PENSKE

I ADVISE THAT READERS OF THIS POST AND OF THIS FORUM SHOULD NEVER PURCHASE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM ANY OF THE COMPANIES LISTED BELOW, WHICH ARE ALL ALIASES FOR THE SAME PENSKE-OWNED COMPANY:

• "THE WARRANTY GROUP"

• "THE WG"

• "RESOURCE AUTOMOTIVE"

• "UNITED AUTO CARE"

• "CONSUMER PROGRAM ADMINISTRATORS"

I ADVISE THAT YOU USE EXTREME CAUTION IF EVER YOU DO BUSINESS WITH ANY PENSKE COMPANY FOR ANY REASON.

Last edited by Schnout; 01-08-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci
I got quoted 2k on a 12month warranty from my dealer, jumped on it lol.

Actually, I'm going to risk it w/o warranty for now, despite schnout solid recc on united auto care...kidding.