Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMeABeer View Post
I got quoted 2k on a 12month warranty from my dealer, jumped on it lol.

Actually, I'm going to risk it w/o warranty for now, despite schnout solid recc on united auto care...kidding.
Yeh...@GetMeABeer. Sorry I jumped on it, myself! Used Car Salesman said I was "covered." Guess I shoulda been more careful about who I dealt with! At least my "warranty" only set me back $3K

Now I'm out another $3K for the automatic transmission oil pump.

At least now I've got an answer so I don't keep spending $250 a week for alternate transportation. Those jerks at Penske could have just done their job to begin with, and I would've had the car repaired two months ago.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Coupe 6MT
I'll throw in my experience with Mercury warranty just recently. I have the platinum coverage with electronics, which basically covers everything.

First my HVAC controls started malfunctioning. Repair and replacement was fully covered. Awesome. Repair costs totaled t to $1100. Paid $100 deductible.

Second, my steering is making loud moaning noises at low speeds. I took it to the dealer and they said my steering rack was failing. Cost came out to $1300 for replacement just for part. Mercury said they will only cover $600, because that is the cost of an aftermarket steering rack for my car and that they can supply it. Otherwise, I have to pay the difference if I wanted genuine OEM. (All labor costs are covered by Mercury)

Well, I refused the work, since I wanted to get more opinions. I don't even know why I took it to the dealer in the first place...maybe because I thought everything was covered. And I didn't feel comfortable putting an aftermarket steering rack into my car. Need to find out if my steering rack is really failing. I know steering racks are kind of touchy subject even with factory warranty. Lost $155 for diagnostic fee too.

So something I learned...if Mercury has aftermarket parts on hand that can be used instead of genuine OEM, they will only cover up to the value of that aftermarket part. Kind of ironic that they do not cover aftermarket parts but suggest using them for repairs.

Anyone have info if these aftermarket OEM replacement parts are good to use? I don't think there are too many, but damn...an aftermarket steering rack for a 6 series? Didn't know they exist for a car like this!

Forgot to add, I paid $2300 for full coverage including electronics, 7 years / 100,000 miles. It was low due to low miles. They do cover all labor, so take advantage of that I guess. That's big money there so I do still save a lot.

Last edited by euhysh; 01-09-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by euhysh View Post
I'll throw in my experience with Mercury warranty just recently. I have the platinum coverage with electronics, which basically covers everything.

First my HVAC controls started malfunctioning. Repair and replacement is fully covered. Awesome. It was estimated at $800. Paid $100 deductible.

Second, my steering is making loud moaning noises at low speeds. I took it to the dealer and they said my steering rack was failing. Cost was $1300 for replacement. Mercury said they will only cover $600, because that is the cost of an aftermarket steering rack for my car and that they can supply it. Otherwise, I have to pay the difference if I wanted genuine OEM.

Well, I refused the work, since I wanted to get more opinions. I don't even know why I took it to the dealer in the first place...maybe because I thought everything was covered. And I didn't feel comfortable putting an aftermarket steering rack into my car. Need to find out if my steering rack is really failing. I know steering racks are kind of touchy subject even with factory warranty. Lost $155 for diagnostic fee too.

So something I learned...if Mercury has aftermarket parts on hand that can be used instead of genuine OEM, they will only cover up to the value of that aftermarket part. Kind of ironic that they do not cover aftermarket parts but suggest using them for repairs.

Anyone have info if these aftermarket OEM replacement parts are good to use? I don't think there are too many, but damn...an aftermarket steering rack for a 6 series?

Forgot to add, I paid $2300 for full coverage including electronics, 7 years / 100,000 miles. It was low due to low miles.
@euhysh. You will see that Penske United Auto Care also manipulated the coverage to their benefit. Their claims rep only aquiesced to authorize an unapproved BMW repair when I caught him lying about the "flywheel" not being a covered component, when it was explicitly spelled out (F L Y W H E E L) in the contract.

Neither BMW nor any legitimate high performance automotive repair would ever recommend "turning" a flywheel to remove warpage - especially on an "M" series vehicle. United Auto Care, though, had no problem making their own unqualified "recommendation" since it saved them $1,000 in coverage cost. Now...not only do I have a DEAD vehicle, it is also Cob-Jobbed with an abnormal flywheel configuration.