Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 06-25-2003, 02:53 PM
Code 66

Mein Auto: .
My days at the Performance Center

I attended the Advanced Car Control Clinic at the Performance Center in South Carolina June 23-24. I really enjoyed it. The instuctors, Larry, Mike, and Paul, were all great guys and they knew their stuff. Larry and Mike are both SCCA members and were instructors at Skip Barber.

The clinic is opened to twelve people, and you have six Electric Red 330is to play with. I lucked out: there were only eleven of us at the time, and I was assigned my own car. The others had to share the car with another person while I got double time in the driver's seat. So, we first started off in the classroom getting to meet everybody and they gave an elementary overview of DSC, ABS, and understerr/oversteer. Both days, we probably spent a combined time of two hours in the classroom, which was not bad at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1349.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	14703  

Last edited by Mathew; 06-25-2003 at 04:15 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-25-2003, 02:56 PM
Code 66

The first thing we did was a basic slalom run. You do this side-by-side (on separate tracks) with the new driver's school. It was a little scary coming around the corner and seeing kids with no licenses fly right at you. Next was a braking session on wet roads. This was done with ABS, then they turned it off. After this hard braking, we went onto the waterwall road. Water would shoot up from the road and you had to swerve and avoid it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn1340.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	14706  

Last edited by Mathew; 06-25-2003 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Code 66

Then onto the skidpad, which was fun. The instructors first loaded up the cars with three passengers and took us around to see what we were to do. Then, instructors sat in with as as we went around individually. We were going around the circle at speeds around 50mph. Then, they pulled the handbrake on us and told us to CPR (correct, pause, recover). I spun out the first time. That's me in the back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn1363.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	14707  
Old 06-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Code 66

There were a couple of near misses on the skid pad
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn1365.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	14708  
Old 06-25-2003, 03:31 PM
Code 66

After lunch, we simulated emergency manuevers. They had cones set up where we could do a double lane change and ABS braking (pretty much every time they told us to brake, it was ABS braking). After that, they took us through an autocross course, which we did for the rest of the day. We took some practice runs, then we did a tag-team autocross competition. I don't really have any good pics of the course, put my first time was fifty-nine seconds, and I was later able to shave it down to fifty-two the next morning.

The instructors had M3s with SMG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn1385.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	14709  
Old 06-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Traffic Surgeon

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP~89 325is~88 M6
Sounds like you had a great time. Reminds me of when I picked up my car down there. So how did you like Greenville?
Old 06-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Code 66

Then, we did the same autocross in first thing in the morning. The next thing was high speed braking at speeds 40-80mph.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn1403.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	14710  
Old 06-25-2003, 04:14 PM
Code 66

We then went back to the skid pad, and the instructors loaded up their M3s and drifted all the way around. It was awesome! I sat in the front seat, and Larry was turning the steering wheel back/ forth, and paddle shifting. They really had great control of the car, considering their erractic movements. It seemed the front of the car was practically pointed at the center of the circle. No pics, but some cool vid clips. Then, we did a bigger autocross and everyone was timed.

Then for the last hour, did the same autocross, but with a Z4, M5, and 745Li. I partnered up with someone who could not drive a stick, and I got double time in the M5. After the first go around, he politely asked me to "tone it down a bit," so, I really didn't get to push it around as much as I would have liked to.

I had a great time, and learned a few things on the way. The instructors really knew their stuff, and the people were friendly. There were two women, one in their 20s and another in their 30s. The rest were men in their 30s/40s. I really can't wait to do the M School. I've got over 100 pics and 5 great video clips, so hopefullly I will find some place to upload them.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:37 PM
both feet in

Send a message via AIM to SpaceMonkey
Mein Auto: '02 ZJC
Quote:
Originally posted by Mathew
We then went back to the skid pad, and the instructors loaded up their M3s and drifted all the way around. It was awesome! I sat in the front seat, and Larry was turning the steering wheel back/ forth, and paddle shifting. They really had great control of the car, considering their erractic movements. It seemed the front of the car was practically pointed at the center of the circle. No pics, but some cool vid clips. Then, we did a bigger autocross and everyone was timed.

Then for the last hour, did the same autocross, but with a Z4, M5, and 745Li. I partnered up with someone who could not drive a stick, and I got double time in the M5. After the first go around, he politely asked me to "tone it down a bit," so, I really didn't get to push it around as much as I would have liked to.

I had a great time, and learned a few things on the way. The instructors really knew their stuff, and the people were friendly. There were two women, one in their 20s and another in their 30s. The rest were men in their 30s/40s. I really can't wait to do the M School. I've got over 100 pics and 5 great video clips, so hopefullly I will find some place to upload them.
Great write up Matthew! Glad you had such a great time. It's wonderful to me how great, friendly, and professional everyone down at the Performance Center really is.

5sp, Sport, CWP, Xenon, Moonroof, ///M Steering Wheel, ///M Strut Brace, OEM Aluminum Pedals, Euro Storage Tray
VDO Gauges, GruppeM CAI, Shark Injector, UUC SwayBarbarians, UUC evo3 SSK & RK2, UUC TrannyMounts/Enforcers
Passport SR7 / ZR3 Radar, XM Satellite Radio, a/d/s sound, BBS RG-R 17x8 w/Bridgestone Potenza S-03 235/40ZR17