Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan View Post
I wish. If it were, I'd have something worth north of $100,000 in the garage. Maybe $15,000 these days if I was lucky.
You do realize I have dibs if you ever decide to sell it. Seriously.

I'll take good care of it, I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
And finally, for you doubting Thomases out there, I reversed the techniques today.

Want to bet what the result was?

Ambient temperature 78F, car was put on jackstands and level. Oil was drained via the sump, and left to drip for over 1 hour with the dipstick out and the cap and oil filter out.

Guess what?

After the oil had drained, and there was no more dripping, I inserted the mityvac into the dipstick tube as usual.

And... (drum roll please...)

Well, you guessed it, I proceeded to suck out approximately 10 ounces of oil out!!

See picture for proof.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4820.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	181052  

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Ich liebe mein BMW

Mein Auto: 08 E90
Verrryyy interesting! Thanks for sharing.
-2002 M5 LeMans Blue on Black. Rear Sunshade, M-Sound, Heated Seats, Xenon, PDC
-2004 M3 Convertible. Silver Grey on Grey. SMG, Nav, HK Sound, Heated Seats, Xenon
-2007 335i Jet Black, Terra Leather, Premium, Sport, Step, Paddle, Nav, Comfort Access
-2006 525i Black Sapphire Metallic with Beige, Manual, Nav, HUD, PDC, Xenon
-2002 325i Orient Blue Metallic, Beige interior, Manual, Sunroof
Old 04-11-2009, 02:19 PM
The Ultimate Übermensch

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Good work wingspan. I swear by mine as well. I know this is common sense and everything, but when I changed my wife's oil her engine was still a little warm. I inserted the tube, then tried to pull on it a little . . . it wouldn't move! Yeah, you guessed it. Mr Lunkhead here.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
What I do, for peace of mind, is to pour in about half or more quart of clean oil after sucking out old oil.

Wingspan,
I thank you for sharing your work proving both ways.
5 months for oil change inteval, that's too short!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 330i 09K13GT 83R100RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EACTuning View Post
I have the 7201 you linked to, as well as the optional brake bleeder kit. The bleeder kit is nice if you are doing a brake job by yourself.

Not really. I read somewhere that it is hard on the brake master cylinder's seal when repeatedly pumped to bleed air.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:24 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
I tried my first vacuum oil change last month. Worked exceptionally well.

Gravity drain might be slightly faster, but it's certainly not easier or safer. I prefer to avoid going under the car whenever I can.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 328Ci; A4 1.8T
Never doubted that an extractor worked well, but now I think this is pushing me over the top to buy one. I think I can get one locally for about $120 Cdn. Is that a decent price?

One other question. How do you dispose of the oil once it's in the extractor? How easy/hard is it to transport the extractor to a used oil collection facility? I was thinking that it might be easiest to drive to the used oil collection facility and do the oil change in the parking lot and empty the oil into the collection facility from the Mityvac directly.

Last edited by Watchdog; 04-13-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to dakarm
Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe, 08 MCS JCW S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
Never doubted that an extractor worked well, but now I think this is pushing me over the top to buy one. I think I can get one locally for about $120 Cdn. Is that a decent price?

One other question. How do you dispose of the oil once it's in the extractor? How easy/hard is it to transport the extractor to a used oil collection facility? I was thinking that it might be easiest to drive to the used oil collection facility and do the oil change in the parking lot and empty the oil into the collection facility from the Mityvac directly.
the version i have has a reverse valve so after finishing with the sucking I just reverse the valve and blow the oil into the empty bottles of oil. not sure but canada but in CA any place that sells oil is required to take old oil for recycling.
'12 X5d
'12 MINI Countryman S
Old 04-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post

I pour from the Mityvac directly into recycled empty cooking-oil containers, then I periodically take all the oil to the hazardous waste disposal facility in Seminole County

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 06-04-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
So the CCV ties into the oil dipstick tube. You are placing a significant amount of vacuum on that pain in the arse PCV. Would this cause damage? I dunno, but your not going to get me to suction out oil through the dipstick yet. I've got car ramps that allow the 530 to drive right up them without hitting the front plastics. I do not find it difficult to remove the drain plug and screw it back in.

Now I suppose if you bought an special plastic hose then when placed into the dipstick tube it hits the bottom of the oil pan, there would be no issue on creating a vacuum on the CCV. But it is less than 1 minute to drive up the ramps including getting them out and the bonus is that I can check out other items underneath the vehicle.

8000lb Rhino Ramps
Blitz USA
Model: 11903

Quote:
Ok, finally, some proof that oil change via suction is superior to the "drain" method.

Been wanting to do this for a while: Car is a 2003 E46 330i 6MT with approximately 59K miles. I drove the car into the garage after a long run, and let it cool for 45 minutes. I jacked it up on the jacking points, ensuring the car was level.

I proceeded to evacuate the oil via my usual Mitivac method out of the dipstick. It took about the usual 30 minutes or so, with occasional pumping, to get the oil up and out of the crankcase via the dipstick. I then wriggled under the car and removed the 17mm bolt at the bottom of the crankcase.

You know how much oil came out?

None. Not a drip. Nada. Zilch.

I mean, nothing; the end of the plug was barely wet.

For me, this seals the debate about suck vs. drain; if the Mityvac had left any oil in the crankcase, it would have drained out into the catch tank I had setup.

Case closed.

Or at least a data point of one. Mityvac FTW.

Last edited by gtxragtop; 06-14-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
If you're looking for a cheap and easy ramping solution, get a couple of 2x6s and cut one piece about 24" long and then another piece about 20" long. Stack them lined up evenly at one end, staggered on the other and then get about 4 long wood screws and screw them together. The staggered end is easy to drive up onto, especially for low clearance cars. I do stick my floor jack under one of the side jack points as an extra saftey. Even on my 330, it makes just enough clearance to get to my catch pan under there and get to the bolt, or any front end inspection/repair that doesn't require a lot of clearance. It also helps raise the front of the car enough to get my floor jack under the car. I had a couple of 2x6s laying around after building a playset in the back yard for the kids so I made a pair and I've been using them for years now with all my cars.

But.... I have just switched to the "pump out" oil change method. Nice to not have to get under the car.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxragtop View Post
So the CCV ties into the oil dipstick tube. You are placing a significant amount of vacuum on that pain in the arse PCV. Would this cause damage? I dunno, but your not going to get me to suction out oil through the dipstick yet. I've got car ramps that allow the 530 to drive right up them without hitting the front plastics. I do not find it difficult to remove the drain plug and screw it back in.

Now I suppose if you bought an special plastic hose then when placed into the dipstick tube it hits the bottom of the oil pan, there would be no issue on creating a vacuum on the CCV. But it is less than 1 minute to drive up the ramps including getting them out and the bonus is that I can check out other items underneath the vehicle.

8000lb Rhino Ramps
Blitz USA
Model: 11903
topsider doesn't create vacuum in the dipstick tube. the tip of the hose that was supplied with the sucker hits the bottom of the oil pan. thus the CCV is safe.
'12 X5d
'12 MINI Countryman S
Old 06-14-2009, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: B25
hmmm....interesting...
looks like i will have to buy one of these!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarm View Post
topsider doesn't create vacuum in the dipstick tube. the tip of the hose that was supplied with the sucker hits the bottom of the oil pan. thus the CCV is safe.
+1... the oil is not a pressurized system with the car off.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
With my MityVac 7201, when I insert the suction tube in the dipstick I insert it until I his bottom, then withdraw it a bit so it's not in contact, once I've drained the majority and I start hearing the bubbles, I lower the tube the rest of the way. Seemed like the safest bet after I read that little blurb on 'Fanatics about the guy that lost the end of the tube and had to drop his oil pan.

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 06-15-2009, 12:39 PM
John Voight's BMW

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP 6MT
Quote:
I'm with you. I still feel like 1. I would get the tube stuck in the oil pump or something and not be able to get it out and 2. I use the time it is draining to change the filter and o-ring. It is a nicely timed sequence......jack, drain, filter (while draining), replace plug, drop, fill, check and done!
im with this group, plus i only put on about 8k miles per year (so far). that means i get under my car once a year (which is a perfect time to inspect other areas) and get a look at things. i however have been under my car a lot this year catching up on maintenance since i bought it, trans, diff, coolant, CDV, etc. etc. so i expect this to apply NEXT year
Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
With my MityVac 7201, when I insert the suction tube in the dipstick I insert it until I his bottom, then withdraw it a bit so it's not in contact, once I've drained the majority and I start hearing the bubbles, I lower the tube the rest of the way. Seemed like the safest bet after I read that little blurb on 'Fanatics about the guy that lost the end of the tube and had to drop his oil pan.
that's exactly what I do.
'12 X5d
'12 MINI Countryman S
Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Brian in Florida

Send a message via AIM to bshade1
Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Going to buy a new MityVac from Amazon today. $85 new (includes shipping). I was looking at the 7201, but every model seems to be liked by everyone. Has anyone ever had a bad review of this product? I haven't found one yet.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
Quote:
Ok, finally, some proof that oil change via suction is superior to the "drain" method.

Been wanting to do this for a while: Car is a 2003 E46 330i 6MT with approximately 59K miles. I drove the car into the garage after a long run, and let it cool for 45 minutes. I jacked it up on the jacking points, ensuring the car was level.

I proceeded to evacuate the oil via my usual Mitivac method out of the dipstick. It took about the usual 30 minutes or so, with occasional pumping, to get the oil up and out of the crankcase via the dipstick. I then wriggled under the car and removed the 17mm bolt at the bottom of the crankcase.

You know how much oil came out?

None. Not a drip. Nada. Zilch.

I mean, nothing; the end of the plug was barely wet.

For me, this seals the debate about suck vs. drain; if the Mityvac had left any oil in the crankcase, it would have drained out into the catch tank I had setup.

Case closed.

Or at least a data point of one. Mityvac FTW.
WOW. It's just WOW. So if you would drain by the gravity method for 30 min or so, then replaced a plug back wait another 10-15 min, how many drops of oil you would get?
Most people are keeping their cars for 5-6 year in most, and motor/engines is not going bad in now days, there are a very reliable part of the car. So what is a reason so many talks about oil and oil service. My opinion that is any oil change will good enough.
Also, a lot people will run to the store to buy Mityvac tool, I would suggest, please don't waist your money on it, just denote it to people who needs this money now days, when is coming up a holiday and a huge jobless market. Just think about how are many kids wouldn't get their Christmas presents, because one or two parent have lost their jobs. You have an opportunity to bring Christmas to some homes.

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter

Last edited by phlfly; 12-03-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
The best thing I like about the oil extractors is the ability to park on the parking lot of a auto-store, which allows you to dump your oil right out of the container into their container.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshade1 View Post
Going to buy a new MityVac from Amazon today. $85 new (includes shipping). I was looking at the 7201, but every model seems to be liked by everyone. Has anyone ever had a bad review of this product? I haven't found one yet.
I just got my mityvac 7400 today . Couldn't find any bad reviews . It cost $57.95 , shipping included . I'm looking forward to my first ever oil change that doesn't involve rolling around on a cold , wet driveway with dirty oil dripping in my face .

And to Phlfy ... don't worry. I wouldn't have bought such a luxury if it kept me from helping my favorite charity . Even as one who is non-religious , I still think it's important to help those less fortunate to a happy holiday season .

Happy Holidays...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 12-22-2009, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Here a vid from tonight after changing my oil with mityvac.

The car was on jack stands, and when I lowered it, it only dripped a few drops of oil (ignorable amount).
Old 12-23-2009, 02:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325ci
how come it took you 30 mins? it took mines about 2 mins. maybe because i was using the bigger tube
Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 AM

Mein Auto: 330CI ZHP
Quote:
I'm with you. I still feel like 1. I would get the tube stuck in the oil pump or something and not be able to get it out and 2. I use the time it is draining to change the filter and o-ring. It is a nicely timed sequence......jack, drain, filter (while draining), replace plug, drop, fill, check and done!
This is the tried and true sequence. No time wasted